HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,632
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 20
kland 5
Daryl 2
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
Daryl
Daryl
Nova Scotia, Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
4 registered members (dedication, Karen Y, Daryl, Kevin H), 3,289 guests, and 10 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 8 of 11 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 11
Re: Where Really Are The Dead? #46242
07/18/03 04:05 PM
07/18/03 04:05 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered

Marcel,
thank you for your post, I totally agree. In fact, I actually do not believe there is enough evidence to support a doctrine either for or against the soul living separately from the body. My only point in addressing it here was to make the point that if we are honest we would all agree that it is really not as clear-cut as some my want to believe.

Daryl,

with all due respect, I believe your statements are an example of what is wrong with Adventism today. We are not saved by our knowledge, but by our relationship with Christ. Knowing that the soul does or does not live on in spirit after death does not allow us to be venerable to “deception”. The possibility of being deceived implies that we are saved by not being deceived through our knowledge of the “correct” doctrine.

Now since scripture indicates that the state of the dead is not part of the gospel and not a requirement to be saved, this “knowledge” or doctrine has no bearing on our salvation.

So what I’m saying is that if we have a relationship with Jesus we cannot be deceived because it is Jesus who makes our decisions, not us by our own “knowledge”.

So what you are implying is that if we believe in the life of the soul after death that even though we do have a saving relationship with Jesus that we still can be lost because of this inaccurate belief. Sorry my friend, but that is just not true.

Now having stated this, let me clarify what many believe in relation to this issue. You have the misunderstanding that people who believe in life after death also believe that the soul/spirit can visit this earth as well. That idea I believe comes from EGW, but is extremely inaccurate.

Even Luke 16 indicates that the dead cannot return to earth or even know what is going on here. So in reality, even those who believe in life after death would not be deceived by your example of Hitler.

Now I have tried on this forum to not ascribe any beliefs to SDA’s that they don’t openly profess, so please do others the same courtesy.

Also, as I have stated, I think implying that knowledge can prevent someone from being deceived is a falsehood and implies we are saved by our knowledge, which is another falsehood. The devil has more knowledge and understanding than all of us combined and if it really was about being deceived and our own knowledge, we would all be lost.

So what we know, or think we know, has little bearing on our salvation other than the gospel of Jesus Christ and that relationship.

Re: Where Really Are The Dead? #46243
07/18/03 06:40 PM
07/18/03 06:40 PM
Daryl  Online Canadian
OP
Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
My concern is that a Christian listening and being deceived by an evil impersonator pretending to be their deceased Christian brother or sister, husband or wife, could result in their making wrong choices that could affect their relationship with Jesus Christ and consequently their eternal fate in the same way that the devil impersonating an angel of God tried to tempt Jesus into sinning during his 40 days in the wilderness where He was sent to be tempted of the devil. Look what happened in the case of King Saul who thought he was communicating with the deceased prophet Samuel who in reality was an evil angel, possibly Satan himself, impersonating Samuel. If he had repented before God instead of seeking to communicate with Samuel through the sinful medium of the Witch of Endor, both he and his son may have been spared, and Israel may have been victorious against their enemy.

Wrong beliefs can lead to wrong decisions which can lead to eternal consequences such as in the case of King Saul.

Re: Where Really Are The Dead? #46244
07/18/03 10:13 PM
07/18/03 10:13 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered

quote:

My concern is that a Christian listening and being deceived by an evil impersonator pretending to be their deceased Christian brother or sister, husband or wife, could result in their making wrong choices that could affect their relationship with Jesus Christ and consequently their eternal fate in the same way that the devil impersonating an angel of God tried to tempt Jesus into sinning during his 40 days in the wilderness where He was sent to be tempted of the devil.

Ok, and who’s power did Jesus use to refute Satan, or do anything on this earth for that matter? God the father, not his own (John 12:49). So my point is that the fight is between God and Satan and it is not through any knowledge or strength that we have on our own that allows us to stand against the devil.

So in your scenario above, even if a person felt that the dead were dead, it would be possible for Satan to convince them otherwise. The only thing that would then save them is their relationship with Jesus and him delivering them from that situation.

quote:

Look what happened in the case of King Saul who thought he was communicating with the deceased prophet Samuel who in reality was an evil angel, possibly Satan himself, impersonating Samuel. If he had repented before God instead of seeking to communicate with Samuel through the sinful medium of the Witch of Endor, both he and his son may have been spared, and Israel may have been victorious against their enemy.

That is really not accurate. Saul was killed because he did not obey God and do what He wanted. The “spirit” or whoever that was only reiterated what God had already instructed Saul to do and the punishment he would receive.

So it was not about Saul consulting with the dead that sealed his fate, but it was Saul not obeying God and taking “plunder” from the Amalekites that sealed Saul’s fate (see 1 Sam 15 and 1 Sam 28:16-19).

So the fact is that Saul’s fate had nothing to do with consulting the a witch and everything to do with not wiping out the Amalekites and taking plunder that he was not supposed to. THAT is why Saul and his sons died.

It appears that you take too much stock in one’s own abilities or knowledge to save himself instead of the Lord. This is the outcome of thinking that your own strength, knowledge, or abilities can prevail against evil.

Re: Where Really Are The Dead? #46245
07/18/03 11:06 PM
07/18/03 11:06 PM
B
Bob Pickle  Offline
Active Member 2013
Dedicated Member
Halstad, MN
quote:
... why would Jesus perpetuate this non-biblical idea by using it in a story?
He didn't say he was talking about souls or spirits, but if He were, why did He say that they have body parts and like cool water when they don't?
quote:
Can you name another story where Jesus used non-biblical ideas or ideas that were in direct conflict with scripture to teach other ideas that were consistent with scripture?
Yes. Like I said before, the other parable in the same chapter can be taken to teach that cheating your employer is great, and your boss will commend you for it.
quote:
Luke 16 states heaven, not hell for Lazarus.
It does not. That's why some evangelicals, not me, equate Abraham's bosom and paradise with a good compartment of hell, where good folks were until Jesus arose from the dead.

The problem is that the same evangelicals will use the last part of Eccl. to prove that the spirit returns to God who gave it, which puts both good and bad in heaven prior to the cross. Thus while they say the souls of all went to hell before the cross, in another breath they'll use a verse that says that all spirits go to heaven at death.

Anyway, Lk. 16 doesn't say heaven.
quote:
Please clarify. ...

I guess you missed this text? Isaiah 14:9-11

Also, you did not address the issue of the "abyss"?

If you can see if you can first deal with the texts that put the body in hell at death. First deal with texts that use hades and sheol, and then we can deal with texts that use other words.

Otherwise, our discussion will get expanded again. You see, you brought up Lk. 16. That passage uses the word hades, and so I've raised the question of the meaning of that word. Tartarus is a totally different thing, and involves to some extent a study of the book of Enoch (Jude and Peter were quoting from there), and before we move on to that, we ought to finish hades.

As far as Mt. 10:28 goes, you said it sounded reasonable to render psuche there as "life."

One meaning for abussos is "sea." Whether that is what the demons meant, I don't know, but the sea was right there.

Re: Where Really Are The Dead? #46246
07/18/03 11:13 PM
07/18/03 11:13 PM
B
Bob Pickle  Offline
Active Member 2013
Dedicated Member
Halstad, MN
Lobo,

I read your last post to Daryl. I can't say you put things as strongly as you did to me before, but you ought to consider that sometimes you just have your facts wrong.
quote:
1 Chronicles 10:13 So Saul died for his transgression which he committed against the LORD, even against the word of the LORD, which he kept not, and also for asking counsel of one that had a familiar spirit, to enquire of it;
Saul did die because he sought counsel from the dead. That wasn't the only reason, but it most certainly was one of them.

Re: Where Really Are The Dead? #46247
07/18/03 11:20 PM
07/18/03 11:20 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered

quote:

It does not. That's why some evangelicals, not me, equate Abraham's bosom and paradise with a good compartment of hell, where good folks were until Jesus arose from the dead.

“22"The time came when the beggar died and the angels carried him to Abraham's side.” Luke 16

“I say to you that many will come from the east and the west, and will take their places at the feast with Abraham, Isaac and Jacob in the kingdom of heaven.” Matt 8:11

So where is Abraham’s side? “IN THE KINGDOM OF HEAVEN”.

quote:

If you can see if you can first deal with the texts that put the body in hell at death. First deal with texts that use hades and sheol, and then we can deal with texts that use other words.

Yes, good point, sorry.

Here you go:

“9 The grave [sheol] below is all astir to meet you at your coming; it rouses the spirits of the departed to greet you- all those who were leaders in the world; it makes them rise from their thrones- all those who were kings over the nations. 10 They will all respond,
they will say to you, "You also have become weak, as we are; you have become like us."
11 All your pomp has been brought down to the grave, along with the noise of your harps;
maggots are spread out beneath you and worms cover you.” Isaiah 14

Re: Where Really Are The Dead? #46248
07/19/03 01:15 AM
07/19/03 01:15 AM
B
Bob Pickle  Offline
Active Member 2013
Dedicated Member
Halstad, MN
It might be helpful if you switch from using a paraphrase to using a translation. The word in Lk. 16 is "bosom," not "side," from what I can tell. And I think if you look up all the verses that use the word translated "dead" in Is. 14:9, you'll find that your paraphrase's use of the word "spirits" is questionable. The typical word for "spirit" doesn't appear in the text.

Moreover, quoting a verse that maybe seems to say something different doesn't answer my question of how to interpret the texts that put the body in hell at death. I'd like you to explain to me what you think those texts I've cited say.

Regarding Abraham's bosom being in heaven, we have a contradiction here. "Samuel" came up from the earth, not down from heaven. On what basis are you putting Lazarus in heaven if Samuel wasn't there?

Would you agree that Mat. 8:11 is talking about after the resurrection, not after death?

[ July 19, 2003, 08:51 AM: Message edited by: Bob Pickle ]

Re: Where Really Are The Dead? #46249
07/20/03 12:34 PM
07/20/03 12:34 PM
M
marcel  Offline
Posting New Member
Cape Town, South Africa
The truth is that the Bible is unclear about the state of the dead. Sure there are more passages supporting souls sleep than passages supporting soul immortality. That does not mean that the greater number of passages proves the former correct. Remember that the Sabbath is also not mentioned much in the NT.

Judaism doesn't even ponder upon the matter much. According to Jews what happens after death is God's business.

Should we not apply the rule that we must be certain about issues on which the Bible is clear but tentative on issues where the Bible is unclear?

I tend to beleive in souls sleep but won't argue the issue with somebody who believes in soul immortality. It is after all not a matter of salavation is it?

Re: Where Really Are The Dead? #46250
07/21/03 12:05 PM
07/21/03 12:05 PM
B
Bob Pickle  Offline
Active Member 2013
Dedicated Member
Halstad, MN
There are likewise more passages that say we are justified by faith than ones that say we are justified by works, but the fact that James appears to say we are justified by works does not put the matter in doubt. We simply must explain the unclear texts by the clear, on every subject.

The fact that we have as many as 411 verses that support the idea of death being an unconscious sleep, and only a handful that folks use to support the contrary position, is significant.

Even on the subject of the Sabbath, there are more texts in the NT that speak of its sacredness than speak of Sunday's sacredness. Indeed, there are no texts that speak of Sunday's sacredness, or even that say that Sunday was a regular day for worship.

On the matter of death the Bible is not unclear, as in Ps. 146:4 and Eccl. 9:5, 6.

It can definitely be a matter of salvation, as it was for King Saul.

Also, Rev. 16:14 suggests that the final deception will have a spiritualism component. There we see spritualistic movements arising out of Catholicism, Protestantism, and paganism. The preoccupation with Marian apparitions would be the movement coming out of Catholicism, and the New Age movement, with its channelling of dead ascended masters, would be the movement coming out of paganism.

What passages to you make the matter less than clear?

Re: Where Really Are The Dead? #46251
07/22/03 03:44 AM
07/22/03 03:44 AM
Will  Offline
Most Dedicated Member
BC, Canada
This morning I was reading in 1 Samuel where Saul had gone to the medium (witch,spritist etc) to conjure up Samuel, and noticed a couple of things as follows:

1. We have a witch raising the dead when God can only do such things.

2. "Samuel" told Saul that he and his sons would die which seemed to be the case since Saul pierced himself with his own sword and his armorbearer followed.

3. Did Israel fall as was mentioned by "Samuel"

I will continue reading this evening but am curious since the Bible mentions that the Israelites fled from the Philistines.. I may have gotten off track but those were some of the points I noticed, and the point I am trying to find out if this was an evil spirit or not, and find out if what had been told to Saul had come true in regards to Isreal falling?

God Bless,
Will

[ July 21, 2003, 01:38 PM: Message edited by: Will ]

Page 8 of 11 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 11

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/15/24 09:27 AM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 05/06/24 12:18 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by dedication. 05/06/24 02:37 PM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:33 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:29 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:27 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by kland. 05/06/24 10:32 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!