HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,631
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 21
kland 6
Daryl 2
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
Daryl
Daryl
Nova Scotia, Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (dedication, Karen Y, Kevin H, Daryl, TheophilusOne, 1 invisible), 3,299 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Re: What Is The Difference Between Truth & Doctrine? #47557
11/10/05 07:14 PM
11/10/05 07:14 PM
Kevin H  Online Content
SDA
Active Member 2024

New York
The end time investigative judgment is a theam you can find in the Bible and ancient middle eastern religions. Apperently there is a strong argument using the Sabbatical and Jublee years that support 1844 which is even stronger than using the 2300 days, so I do not see the principle of the investigative judgment changing, and the fact that God was pointing his people to this in the Adventist movement. I have not heard the Jublee arguments, and therefore can not explain them, accept nor reject them. I only know that there is a movement out there using the sabbatical years and jublees for arriving at 1844. I'm not positive, but I believe that Dr. Waterhouse from Andrews university is the expert in this field. But this paragraph is only me reporting on rumers that I've heard and not looked into.

As for the day-year and day-day, it depends on the context of the verse. Yes, we have wrongly applied it as a universal principle when ever we see the word day. The books "Before Philosophy" (Henri Frankfort and others, copyright around or in 1946, University of Chicago Press) teaches about the propper understanding and interpetation and application of the ancient cycles, such as the day-year principle. The fact that we are not studying this book, that it has been in our libaries since the 1940s is so sad. Had we read this book as we had, Desmond Ford would have looked like a fool when he said that there was no evidence for the day-year principle. But we need to look at the context of the text, and how it fits with cyclic thought, to know if we should apply the year-day principle to the text.

For example, there is Revelation 18:8-10 which says that the plages will come upon Babylon in a day, so it has become Adventist tradition for the last days to become one year. In the same text their is also the phrase of it happening in an hour, so others have said "Satan is hoping that the last days will be a year, but that it will only be two weeks." However if you were to study the context in Greek wrtitings when ever they have day and hour together in this parrelism it does not give a specific time but indicates only a short time. Thus we are incorrect to try to force the year-day principle on Revelation 18:8-10.

The principle that I've come to understand is that you first look for local application, then seeing how it can be re-applied through analogy and the ancient cycles. The original context of the 2300 days was the third year of Belshazzar. While we don't know the exact day with in Belshazzar's third year, if you add 2300 litteral days to that year you will come to either the last days of Babylon with Persia breathing down it's neck, the fall of Babylon, and the early days of Persia.

Deuteronomy placed THE LAST DAYS in the exile. In the Old Testament the "exile" brought to mind the same thing that the words "Sunday Law" does the the typical Seventh-day Adventist. Daniel was trying to get God's people to shaire the gospel so that it would be spread and thus fulfill the conditions for the Deuteronomic prophecy to come true. The gospel was not spread. the exile did not usher in the last days, but words were not see as dead, and cycles around again.

Daniel 9's 70 weeks of years were a reapplication of the 70 weeks of years from David to the exile, since by Daniel 9 the exile was not going to usher in the last days. Daniel 9-12 teaches what COULD have happened had Jesus been accpeted. Some of the things were fulfilled, others were not due to the rejection and will cycle around again.

(The doctrine of Type and Antitype was an attempt by the Middle Ages scholars to see these re-applicaitons. We can clearify what they were going after with type and antitype by studying "Before Philosophy" and learning about the Cycles.) Another book for studying the cycles is "The Myth of the Eternal Return" but I give a stronger endorcement to "Before Philosophy"

Getting back to you question about the 28, Mrs. White only has a small list of old landmarks, and leaves the rest open for change and modification, that we will all have to learn and unlearn things.

Re: What Is The Difference Between Truth & Doctrine? #47558
11/10/05 07:22 PM
11/10/05 07:22 PM
R
Rob  Offline
Canada
MM, the reasons for the negative response regarding the SDA/non-SDA question involve a long story and an even longer journey. (I'd be quite happy to tell the story, which I find most interesting and most others find completely tedious. [Rolling Over For Laughter] ) Suffice it to say that I consider myself a Christian who chooses to fellowship with Seventh-day Adventists.

About the -Behold. Now that is another matter. You'll have to figure that one out on your own [Wink] The clues are all there.

Re: What Is The Difference Between Truth & Doctrine? #47559
11/10/05 07:55 PM
11/10/05 07:55 PM
R
Rob  Offline
Canada
Darius: My theory is not based on that premise. Where did you get that from?

Rob: From these posts:

Nov. 6 [The objective standard is] The one that has proven to be perfect in every other area of life; the scientific method. Start with what you know or think you know then test it to see if it stands up to reality.

Nov. 7 "The scientific discipline involved is history."

From these posts I concluded that in your opinion history is a scientific discipline, and an objective standard by which to test the Scriptures. I agree that Scripture is tested by history (and future "history" in the form of prophecy) but I disagree that history falls in the "scientific discipline" category.

Darius: My thesis is that science is knowledge.

I shall also split hairs on this one. "Science" is actually a systematic method of pursueing knowledge. We may apply this systematic method to gain knowledge of history, but history itself is not science anymore than cells or oceans are.

[ November 10, 2005, 04:31 PM: Message edited by: Rob ]

Re: What Is The Difference Between Truth & Doctrine? #47560
11/10/05 08:07 PM
11/10/05 08:07 PM
Darius  Offline
Dedicated Member
Muncie, IN
Rob, the reference to history was in response to your query about Lazarus. That is a fact that is either historical or not. That is all that was about.

Re: What Is The Difference Between Truth & Doctrine? #47561
11/10/05 08:34 PM
11/10/05 08:34 PM
R
Rob  Offline
Canada
Agreed. Either it happened or it did not. Why it happend and what the significance is is open to endless debate and opinion.

Re: What Is The Difference Between Truth & Doctrine? #47562
11/10/05 10:30 PM
11/10/05 10:30 PM
V
vastergotland  Offline
Active Member 2011
3500+ Member
Sweden
quote:
For example, is it possible that God will, sometime in the future, raise up a prophet and instruct him or her to overturn our current doctrinal understanding of the 2300 day prophecy, or the 1260 day prophecy? something like change the beginning or ending dates? or expand them to include a day for day application at the end of time?

Do you see what I mean? Is it possible God might do something like that?

If God for any reason would do any of the above, is it possible that any SDA would accept the messenger as from God? Such a prophet would have about as much credibility among SDA as had Jeremiah in the courts of Sidkia...

/Thomas

Re: What Is The Difference Between Truth & Doctrine? #47563
11/11/05 03:43 AM
11/11/05 03:43 AM
J
John Boskovic  Offline
Dedicated Member
Ontario
That question is answered by whether such will have the “love of truth” ... or ... crucify Christ to defend their doctrines (founded on the word of God) because it is not possible that they are wrong.

Re: What Is The Difference Between Truth & Doctrine? #47564
11/11/05 11:06 AM
11/11/05 11:06 AM
Cheri Fritz  Offline
Gloversville, NY, USA
Greetings,

What is the difference between truth and doctrine? There should be none. The faithful in the upper room came together in one accord. They laid down all that was interupting (sins) their blessed connection with the Divine nature of God.

Brother John Boskovic, I do like your second post on this topic. And it reminds me of a story that a Brother shared, and I will attempt to repeat it as briefly as I may.

There was this atheist in the city talking to the people. They crowded about him to argue that God is real and does exist.

Then came up this man standing listening to all that was being said. He took out of his pocket an orange and began to peel it. The atheist took notice of this action because it caught his eye.

Then the man with the orange held it up and asked "Tell me, is this orange good?"

The atheist replied "I don't know."

The man finished peeling the orange and tasted it. He then said "This orange is good. Do you believe me?"

The atheist replied "I don't know, I would have to taste it to be sure what you said is true."

The man with the orange said "Yes! So it is with the word of God."
quote:
Psalm 34:8 "O taste and see that the LORD [is] good: blessed [is] the man [that] trusteth in him."

Again the question:
What is the difference between truth and doctrine?

There is none if we be the Lords.

Every precious ray of truth will be taught with power when we are the Lord's servants. The seeds of truth will be planted by love and not force (or debate).

So some may inquire: By whose power?
By the power of God's own Holy Word delivered by the Holy Spirit. This is the power that humbles mankind.

Brother Daryl's statement:

quote:
The problem though at times is man's interpretation of what is in the Bible. When it isn't interpreted correctly, and that wrong interpretation is taught as a so-called true Bible doctrine, it becomes a false doctrine.

Brother Daryl, Christ did teach:
quote:
Luke 21:8 "And he said, Take heed that ye be not deceived: for many shall come in my name, saying, I am [Christ]; and the time draweth near: go ye not therefore after them."
If we are the Lord's, precious rays of living truth will shine forth. And love will teach but not by debate nor forcing another to understand. Why? Because wonderful faith will live that God's own Holy Word will convict of truth better than humanity.

How wonderfully light the Lord has made our burdens. All we need to do is live faith. Faith will share with love and devotion because it is like it's Creator.
quote:
Matthew 11:30 "For my yoke [is] easy, and my burden is light."

Your Sister in Christ Jesus,
Cheri Fritz

Re: What Is The Difference Between Truth & Doctrine? #47565
11/12/05 04:53 AM
11/12/05 04:53 AM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Kevin, I see what you mean. The historical application of prophecy is valid and, based on inherent principles, it is sometimes possible to reapply them to future eras and arrive at truth. I happen to agree with this insight, to a degree, but do not place much confidence in studies based primarily on feast days.

Rob, I would happy to hear your story. It would, no doubt, provide more clues. I can only assume you were present one time when I spoke about “behold” and meeting my wife for the first time. When and where, I cannot say. Email me your story. Thank you.

Thomas, your analogy assumes the prophet who speaks against the 28 fundamental beliefs is from God, and that any SDA refusing to listen and learn is no better than wicked King Zedekiah.

Re: What Is The Difference Between Truth & Doctrine? #47566
11/11/05 05:39 PM
11/11/05 05:39 PM
R
Rob  Offline
Canada
There is a difference between truth and doctrine, and rightly so. Kevin pointed this out very nicely: "Doctrine is our current understanding and application of the truth, and modifiable as we learn more about the truth. "

The question we have to ask is the one Darius alluded to: "Are we more interested in finding the truth or defending our doctrines?" If our main goal is to know the truth, then we must always hold open the possibility of changeing, modifying, or completely throwing out the doctrines currently held. (Including certain of the 28.)

Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/12/24 10:01 AM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 05/06/24 12:18 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by dedication. 05/06/24 02:37 PM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:33 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:29 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:27 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by kland. 05/06/24 10:32 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!