HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,615
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 19
kland 9
Daryl 4
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
5 registered members (dedication, Karen Y, Kevin H, Daryl, 1 invisible), 3,289 guests, and 22 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Christian Living & Secular Activities #48417
05/24/04 09:13 PM
05/24/04 09:13 PM
Daryl  Online Canadian
OP
Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
In our daily living as Christians, what is our relationship to secular activities?

For instance:

Is it OK to read secular books?

Is it OK to have secular friends?

Is it OK to..........?

Re: Christian Living & Secular Activities #48418
05/24/04 09:45 PM
05/24/04 09:45 PM
T
Tom Wetmore  Offline
Silver Spring, MD, USA
Is it OK to hold a secular job?

Is it OK to own a secular car?

Is it OK to wear secular shoes?

The point is that secular is not necessarily bad. It may be quite neutral. Secular should not necessarily be confused with the more loaded word "worldly", whatever that means. However if that is your intended meaning, I would answer, "It depends."

Tom

Re: Christian Living & Secular Activities #48419
05/24/04 10:34 PM
05/24/04 10:34 PM
Daryl  Online Canadian
OP
Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
Tom,

If you can find me a non-secular car or shoes, let me know. I will be interested! [Animated Laughter]

Realistically though, I believe you and others know what I mean.

Take books, for example. There are obviously secular books and Christian books, which obviously includes the Bible.

What should the Christian spend his/her time reading, Christian literature, or non-Christian literature?

Re: Christian Living & Secular Activities #48420
05/24/04 11:35 PM
05/24/04 11:35 PM
John H.  Offline
Most Dedicated Member
North Carolina, USA
There is SO much good Christian literature out there to be read, I don't know that I'll ever have time to read much secular literature (if I even wanted to). The more time goes on, the more I find to read, and the pile gets higher and higher. The pioneers wrote a whole raft of books that far outstrip most things available today.

Of course I do read things that pertain to my job; have to stay current about the employment that puts food on the table. But that's about the only secular stuff I have time to read, besides keeping up with the news of the day.

Re: Christian Living & Secular Activities #48421
05/25/04 05:20 AM
05/25/04 05:20 AM
J
Jayme  Offline
USA
"Christian living and secular activities" almost sounds like a oxymoron.

I've just finished reading a book containing all the quotes from the SOP on Enoch. It appears that Enoch didn't have any "secular activities" in his life. Everything he did was done thinking of God's glory and pleasing Him. Constant prayer; times of seclusion seeking to be closer to God; witnessing.

I would say that even washing dishes or doing laundry can be done to God's glory and pleasing Him, eh??

BUT, I can't see how reading a novel can be done with prayer -- or even playing chess or checkers or computer games -- sounds like more oxymorons.

Re: Christian Living & Secular Activities #48422
05/26/04 05:34 PM
05/26/04 05:34 PM
Avalee  Offline
Charter Member
Active Member 2014

Most Dedicated Member
Northern CA
quote:
Originally posted by Daryl Fawcett:
In our daily living as Christians, what is our relationship to secular activities?

The below quote from God tells us what our relationship should be to secular knowledge.

quote:
This means that you are to study the life of Christ. You are to study it with as much more earnestness than you study secular lines of knowledge, as eternal interests are more important than temporal, earthly pursuits. If you appreciate the value and sacredness of eternal things, you will bring your sharpest thoughts, your best energies, to the solving of the problem that involves your eternal well-being; for every other interest sinks into nothingness in comparison with that. {Gods Amazing Grace Page 241.2}
We live in this world of sin and we cannot help but encounter secular things....but how do we deal with it is another thing.

quote:
In the life of man things sacred and secular are to be done, some in business lines, some in the ministry of the Word, and some in various trades; but when a man gives himself to Christ and loves God with the whole heart, mind, soul, and strength, he serves with a devotion that takes his whole being.... He recognizes the ownership of his powers and the ownership of himself. This consecration invests his whole life with a sacredness which makes him gentle, kind, and courteous. His every act is a consecrated act.... He is under Christ, being trained for the higher grade above. {HP 58.5}

Re: Christian Living & Secular Activities #48423
05/29/04 07:51 PM
05/29/04 07:51 PM
Restin  Offline
Apopka, Florida, USA
My relationship to secular life: I live in Orlando Florida, so last week I went to Universal Studios and rode "Back to the Future" 3 times over, and did every other other ride at least once, including the rollarcoaster

Re: Christian Living & Secular Activities #48424
05/30/04 05:04 AM
05/30/04 05:04 AM
D
danielw  Offline
Japan
Did riding the roller-coaster somehow give glory to God?

I led a group of English students to America in March and did many of the same things,,,,,,,,,,,,,
so am in no fine postition to say anything (altho they did pay all my expenses), but really, when one goes to India etc. and sees how much good can be done with just 10USD, then the attitude towards funds entrusted of God changes.

Drastically.

Here's a leper lady in India who doesn't have 10USD worth of money to replace her tin roof which is full of holes: Bottom left pic of leper lady

Is Universal Studios going to help her with the 50USD or whatever that you donated to them?

Re: Christian Living & Secular Activities #48425
05/30/04 02:34 PM
05/30/04 02:34 PM
D
D R  Offline
Charter Member
SDA
Active Member 2020

East Coast Canada
Just a question:
Is it wrong to have a "savings account"? It seems that if I have $500 in my bank account and someone in a "third world country" has life needs, am I wrong to be saving up for a new guitar, or other item?

Re: Christian Living & Secular Activities #48426
05/30/04 04:29 PM
05/30/04 04:29 PM
Restin  Offline
Apopka, Florida, USA
Once in a while my "inner child" gets out and I have to grab her back. I didn't say I don't feel guilty. I know I've got a way to go as regards self discipline. No excuses. Mainly I usually do figure how my money could be better used for God's glory. I do have my three websites that I believe are the talents for which God holds me accountable.I spend time and money promoting them and inviting people. I'm not a people person and want to work "behind the scenes". You know, there are those who sow the seed and those better at harvesting it. I do agree that it's dreadful what extravagance we indulge when we compare life to that of the poor of other lands, and even the poor of our own nation. I'm sure that's one reason America is so hated. Last week, on Travel Channel, it was showing how much you have to pay to stay a night at the MonetCarlo Hotel, and was in no way better than a Holiday Inn for $65, that I could see. I often think of how many poor but bright kids could have their college tuition paid by someone who just throws that much away in Las Vegas or on a new sports car. [Mad]

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 04/30/24 10:34 PM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 07:26 PM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!