HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,631
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 20
kland 5
Daryl 2
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
Daryl
Daryl
Nova Scotia, Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
4 registered members (dedication, Karen Y, Daryl, Kevin H), 3,310 guests, and 10 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
What is a Friend? #49348
09/18/04 07:45 PM
09/18/04 07:45 PM
Daryl  Online Canadian
OP
Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
What is a friend?

Re: What is a Friend? #49349
09/20/04 11:01 PM
09/20/04 11:01 PM
C
Chrys  Offline
Posting New Member
USA
A friend is the person whom you can call on the phone without rehearsing your speech beforehand.

Why? They already love you and accept you for what you are.

Re: What is a Friend? #49350
09/21/04 04:36 PM
09/21/04 04:36 PM
Daryl  Online Canadian
OP
Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
I agree, however, isn't there more to friendship than that?

Let me go a step further to show you what I mean.

A person was asked if he had any friends in his own local church. His answer surprised me when he said, "No."

Another person when asked said, "Yes and no."

This is what prompted me to begin this topic in the first place.

What needs to happen to turn that no, and yes and no, into a yes?

I was also told by yet another person that if a new member doesn't find at least one friend in the local church within six months, that person will basically go out the back door of the church.

This is, therefore, a very important topic!

How are friendships in the church formed?

Re: What is a Friend? #49351
09/22/04 02:47 AM
09/22/04 02:47 AM
C
Chrys  Offline
Posting New Member
USA
A friend is a person that you can count on in times of trouble. Someone who shares your joys, your sorrows, your prayers and your life.

When I wrote that a friend is someone you can call without rehearsing your lines, I wrote a lot of stuff in-between-the-lines.

Sure, there are people you can call at any time of day or night. A pastor, a deacon, and a doctor are of this sort. This is their job and it is what they are paid for, or it is what they expect when they volunteer for the position.

A friend is someone you can call and will listen with an open heart and is ready to respond with a moment's notice.

As Christians, we should be friends with everyone. Through our human nature, however, we are not cut out to be friends of everyone.

And so, God puts us in touch with those that our ministry of frienship suits the most. No man is an island, so it has been said. We all need friends.

Friends keep you company; they keep you from going insane!

I've heard it said that there must be at least seven friendships formed in the church setting for a member to wish to return. One is a great start, but seven would be awesome!

Let me say also that a friend is someone you look forward to seeing--not someone you try to avoid.

Re: What is a Friend? #49352
09/29/04 12:14 PM
09/29/04 12:14 PM
Shelley  Offline
Posting New Member
Australia
quote:
How are friendships in the church formed?
This is a difficult question for me as I do not have any real friends (friends that I could share personal issues and concerns with) in the church that I attend. I have attended lots of seminars, Revelation, Daniel, Taking charge of your life, Taking charge of your health, Vegetarian cooking etc, etc. I don't know how they are run in other churches, but in mine, it is very much lecture style, no time for meaningful interaction. It is exactly the same for Sabbath School lessons. As a result, no one really gets to know anyone.

I also think personality type has something to do with it. I am an introverted personality type and like to have a couple of really close friends, whereas extroverted personality types may prefer lots of casual friends.

For me, church has become a cold empty place, a place full of smiling people who give the appearance of having it all together, a place where no one appears to get real. They talk about church being a hospital for the sick. It is a hospital where people are dying.

To answer your question "How are friendships in the church formed?" I think lecture style formats should be done away with and people should be encouraged to relate on a more personal level.

Re: What is a Friend? #49353
09/30/04 12:10 AM
09/30/04 12:10 AM
H
Heading Home  Offline
Posting New Member
U.S.
I feel here would be a good place to share this experience of mine. I have a very good lady friend in the church. I get along well with her and her husband....but. A short time ago she told me that when I first came to this church her husband did not like me. She asked him why and he said this and that. She smiled and told him, "do you realize that those are things that you do all the time? You are disliking things in her that you do yourself". "What do you mean" he said. "Well, you both a very strong in what you believe.
You both believe the same in many many things.
Neither of you are the type to be quiet when you feel something is not going according to the Bible. You both speak with authority". Needless to say, in board meetings, etc... today we see eye to eye and he and I speak up on several issues upholding biblical issues. We are friends now.

I state this because I feel that often we could be friends with many if we did not judge them. We do need to judge issues, but leave the people out of it. So often we dislike people who are, of all things, just like us, and we don't see it unless someone else shows us. Can you imagin not liking someone because they are like you? But we do it all the time and don't realize it.

The Lord can help us make friends with people, help us to see right through to their needs with love and not judgement. We are all at different levels of the ladder to heaven. None has room to condemn for no one is so high they can't fall off themselves when they judge and take their eyes away from the Lord.

We open the door to friendship when we do not judge others.

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/12/24 10:01 AM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 05/06/24 12:18 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by dedication. 05/06/24 02:37 PM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:33 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:29 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:27 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by kland. 05/06/24 10:32 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!