HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,631
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 21
kland 6
Daryl 2
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
5 registered members (Karen Y, dedication, Kevin H, Daryl, TheophilusOne), 3,258 guests, and 7 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 8 of 15 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 14 15
Re: Chronicles of Narnia #49823
12/18/05 06:38 PM
12/18/05 06:38 PM
Davros  Offline
Dedicated Member
Ohio
quote:
Originally posted by Dora:
We have heard enough from our pulpit re C.S. Lewis, even the story of the "Lion, Witch, and Wardrobe, and read enough in our Sabbath School lessons, no one could be uninformed in our church, unless they were deaf and/or blind.

Incidentally, we have heard little concerning Ellen White's writings for a long while, and never her name from our pulpit.

Here is part of a sermon by Joe Crews found on the Amazing Facts web site.

quote:
Jesus went around forgiving the wrongs of others. Let’s keep in mind that if He were God, He had the right to do this, but if we take the position He was just a good man, then He surely hadn’t the right to forgive anyone’s sins. Now, you can forgive a person who has wronged you. If he steps on your toes, you can forgive him for that. But Jesus went around forgiving people for stepping on other people’s toes. And He acted in every case as though He was the one who principally offended. Jesus Christ forgave sins. He said a person could not be saved except through Him. “Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.” John 14:6. He made it abundantly clear that it was impossible to find salvation except through Him. Let’s make this point clear today. It is sheer nonsense to say we believe Jesus is the greatest man who ever lived, that He was a good man, that He was truthful and honest and yet that He was not God. One cannot be considered a good man who claims that He is God when He is not. Common sense demands that Jesus either was what He said He was or He was an imposter. As C.S. Lewis said, “He was either God or the very devil of hell. There can be no middle ground.”
"Christ is the Answer" by Joe Crews
http://www.amazingfacts.org/items/Read_Media.asp?ID=1212

Interesting that Joe Crews, at one time the poster boy for conservative Adventism, would quote C. S. Lewis in a sermon. This would also indicate that he also read the works of C. S. Lewis. What do we have to say about that?

I feel this is just more evidence to prove that the schema over the works of C. S. Lewis has only arisen in the last 25 years. Crews died in 1993, so this sermon must be at least 12 years old.

Re: Chronicles of Narnia #49824
12/18/05 06:47 PM
12/18/05 06:47 PM
Davros  Offline
Dedicated Member
Ohio
What can I say Thomas?

It is written:

quote:
I have other sheep that are not in this flock, and I must bring them also. They will listen to my voice, and there will be one flock and one shepherd.
John 10:16 NCV

quote:
Whoever is not against us is with us.
Mark 9:40 NCV

Sometimes I wonder if we would condemn Jesus because He did things we do not agree with [Frown] Obviously we are against things today that he did.

Re: Chronicles of Narnia #49825
12/18/05 09:36 PM
12/18/05 09:36 PM
DebbieB  Offline
United Kingdom
quote:
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by Dora:
We have heard enough from our pulpit re C.S. Lewis, even the story of the "Lion, Witch, and Wardrobe, and read enough in our Sabbath School lessons, no one could be uninformed in our church, unless they were deaf and/or blind.

Incidentally, we have heard little concerning Ellen White's writings for a long while, and never her name from our pulpit.

My only question Dora is how do you now that what's being quoted is not pulled out of context?

Remember both the Bible, and Ellen white can be made to say anything when qoutes are pulled out of context. Infact you can make anyone say absolutely anything by pulling out a few out of context sentences.

Re: Chronicles of Narnia #49826
12/19/05 03:32 AM
12/19/05 03:32 AM
S
Steddy  Offline
New Member (Starting to Post)
Earth
I am an SDA who has just read through this thread for the first time.

First, I would like to clarify something. In an earlier post, someone mentioned that the first book of C.S. Lewis' Chronicles of Narnia should, at least, be read. I assume that poster had meant "The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe" (or TLTWATW). There is some controversy as to which constitutes the "first book". Lewis WROTE TLTWATW (which is an allegory of the Gospel story) first, then wrote "The Magician's Nephew" (TMN) (an allegory of Creation) as a PREQUEL to TLTWATW. If you only read one book in the series, read TLTWATW, but you really should read TMN first, then read TLTWATW, for, otherwise, there will be elements in TLTWATW that you will not fully understand.

(And isn't that just like reading the Bible? If you read the Gospels without having read Genesis, you will not really understand why it was necessary for Christ to die for your sin.)

Secondly, I am deeply concerned and saddened for those of you who would condemn any of C.S. Lewis' Christian writings (i.e. those works that he wrote after his conversion), without first reading them. If you are basing your opinions on what others have told you, or what you have read about Lewis' works, then you are letting others do your thinking for you. Our Lord gave you wisdom and a mind to use. I strongly urge you to read what you are talking about before commenting about it.

For example, suppose someone had never read any of EGW's writings, but had only heard about her books and her prophecies from other sources (for example, Hokema's "The Four Major Cults"). Without personally reading EGW's works, such a person could very easily come to the conclusion (as, sadly, all too many non-SDA Christians do) that she, herself was a sorceress or a witch or some such. (Please do not misunderstand me; I am only using this hypothetical comparison to make a point. I believe that EGW was a prophetess of God.)

Would you not think that it would be terribly unfair of someone to condemn any of EGW's books without first reading them? If so, then, likewise, it would be unfair to condemn TLTWATW without first reading it.

(As someone else has pointed out, it would only take a couple of hours to read superficially, but you should probably take a little bit more time to read and analyze it more deeply. Like Lewis Caroll's books, The Chronicles of Narnia can be enjoyed and understood by both adults and children.)

Thirdly, it has been suggested that reading the book or watching the movie without understanding the Gospel and and without knowledge of the Bible, will cause a person NOT to see the allegory. I have read "user reviews" of the movie (for example, at www.imdb.com) by atheists who were upset at the patent Christian theme of the movie! So, (apparently) the Gospel story comes out so clear in this movie, that even atheists and agnostics "get it."

Fourthly, I have read both here and elsewhere that the movie is remarkably true to the book.

I had previously been planning NOT to see the movie because I was (predjudicially) "certain" that it would not have any resemblance to the book and would either downplay, or altogether omit, the Christian allegorical themes of the book. However, I am now given to understand that the allegory is in no way diluted from the original book, so now I DO intend to see it for myself.

By the way, it may interest some of you to know that C.S. Lewis' grandson was involved in the production of the movie. This is probably the reason why the Christian allegory was not diminished (if, what I have read, is true).

So, I do not intend to let others do my thinking for me. I will see the movie and come to an opinion after having viewed it.

If you are worried that Lewis was not really a Christian, or that TLTWATW will, somehow, pollute your mind, then I would suggest reading one of his non-fiction works first, such as "Mere Christianity". (I would also suggest "The Screwtape Letters" but that, after all, is a ficitional allegory, or, if you will, a parable, not a work of non-fiction.)

You might also be interested in his other non-fiction works such as "The Problem of Pain", "Surprised by Joy" or "The Four Loves".

After first meeting the Saviour and a few other folks, I, for one, very much look forward to meeting Mr. Lewis in the Kingdom (or be extremely surprised if he is not there; but it is not my place to judge who will or will not be there).

In His Love and Mercy,

"Steddy" (a.k.a. "Edmund" :-)

Re: Chronicles of Narnia #49827
12/19/05 04:04 AM
12/19/05 04:04 AM
Redfog  Offline OP
Michigan, USA
Good points Steddy all around . However I still think that without some knowledge of the Bible the allegories would not be picked up, in either the books or the movie.

And yes except for some minor changes the movie stuck very close to the book, at times even using the exact same phrases, like "he's not a tame lion". I was reluctant to go see it for the same reason as you and besides I really don't go to movies or generally even enjoy them (It's been 10-15 years since I'd been to one)

In the paper today it was pointed out the viewers of the movie gave it 3.9 stars out of 4, whereas the reviewers (critics) gave it 2.8. I wonder if that might be because most reviewers are not Christian and were therefore prejudiced against it?

Redfog

Re: Chronicles of Narnia #49828
12/19/05 02:24 PM
12/19/05 02:24 PM
Kevin H  Online Content
SDA
Active Member 2024

New York
There are points in the Chronicals of Narnia, more so in the Magician's Nephew, a Horse and His Boy, and The Last Battle, that if you are familiar with Mrs. White, really stick out.

The movie was faithful to the story line, but it missed several of the neuances brought forth in the book, the cartoon and the Focus on the Family dramiazation of it.

In the movie, when Aslan appears it is no big deal. In the book the children and the beavers are afraid to approach him. The children offer the beavers to go first, Mr. Beaver replys "Sons and daughters of Adam and Eve before Anamals" so Peter replys "ladies first" to only hear "your'e the eldest, you should go first" and Mrs. Beaver warns with a nervous voice "He's waiting." Walking with Aslan to the stone table the girls long to put their hands into his mane but would not dream of doing it until he asked them to, and the White Witch is terrorfied of his name. While in the movie the subjects simply bow to what had all the awe of a kitten, the girls simply place their hands in his mane, and instead of terror at his name the White Witch simply responds "If it's a war he wants it's a war he'll get."

The actresses, while mostly doing an excellent job, were a bit weak in the dread then the tearfulness in the walking with then the killing of Aslan.

The weakness in the movie was that it was no more than basically an overview of the story, and could have had more stars if it was more of a telling of the story including more of the neuances. It would not have taken too much longer to add some depth to the story, even if it was simply showing that Aslan was the mighty lion and not snaglepuss.

Re: Chronicles of Narnia #49829
12/19/05 07:06 PM
12/19/05 07:06 PM
D
D R  Offline
Charter Member
SDA
Active Member 2020

East Coast Canada
Dave, "I agree with your posts" Wow,you have been posting some powerful statements on this topic! If Razor and you were to be playing Baseball on opposite teams, and razor tried to "steal 2nd" You would have him thrown out, cause he's way off base (at least in my "fantasy Baseball scenerio")

-I had not read any of CS Lewis. I attended public schools in the 70's and 80's.(way too crazy their now though! ) where these books were not even mentioned. My son is in grade 5 is 11 years old and has read the Narnia series. I went to the movie last night with my wife, son and self (like I could go without myself??? LOL ) With my son beside me, it was interesting to hear his quiet comments durring the film. On the drive home we discussed the film...He taught me and told me about the parallel images of the movie. All 3 of us could moreso understand the images than if we were OBLIVIOUS (if that were possible) to the Creation story and story of redemption. My son stated that if we are to isolate from this film, we may as well not watch the news on TV or read a newspaper... Interesting statement from an 11 year old?!
-I would rate this story as a 10 out of 10. The film portrayal would get an 8.5 out of 10. But then again I am a great critic...

-This debate is just a continuation from the debate that people have either for or against movies such as "The Passion" or any other film with Christian values or parallells...

Re: Chronicles of Narnia #49830
12/19/05 11:23 PM
12/19/05 11:23 PM
Redfog  Offline OP
Michigan, USA
A couple of posts on here have alluded to Mrs. White reading books about King Arthur and other books of historical fiction. Can anyone point me to where I find more info on this? Thanks.

Redfog

Re: Chronicles of Narnia #49831
12/20/05 02:48 AM
12/20/05 02:48 AM
Kevin H  Online Content
SDA
Active Member 2024

New York
The book "Ellen White in Eurpope" mentions how excited she was to be see the hills for the setting of William Tell, and also at her last home in Elmshaven they have her fireplace with the pictures from the knights of the round table and the tours tell the story. Also, you can read the different studies, some in the White vault (at least at Andrews, and a cassett tape at least at Loma Linda) and some published about Mrs. White and popular fiction.

Re: Chronicles of Narnia #49832
12/20/05 02:58 AM
12/20/05 02:58 AM
Redfog  Offline OP
Michigan, USA
Thanks Kevin. You don't know of a web site that brings these things up do you?

Redfog

Page 8 of 15 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 14 15

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/12/24 10:01 AM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 05/06/24 12:18 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by dedication. 05/06/24 02:37 PM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:33 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:29 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:27 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by kland. 05/06/24 10:32 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!