HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,600
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 14
kland 9
Daryl 3
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Member Spotlight
ProdigalOne
ProdigalOne
Alberta, Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (dedication, Karen Y, ProdigalOne, Kevin H, Daryl, 1 invisible), 2,956 guests, and 18 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 11 of 15 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 14 15
Re: Chronicles of Narnia #49853
12/25/05 04:11 AM
12/25/05 04:11 AM
Davros  Offline
Dedicated Member
Ohio
I think that one would not find Doug Batchelor or Joe Crews in the majority of most things we find today, but then here they are stating their approval of C. S. Lewis.

I fully believe that if one of them was peaking out about it, there would be no hesitation to post it on here; so how is it different to post their support?

Trust me, I do not always support the majority (just read my posts in other topics to prove that). But when it comes to this topic, I know what I have read. If that aligns with the majority, so be it, but if it does not align with me majority, so be it. Not one thing these leaders have to say influences my opinion on the matter because I have read the works of C. S. Lewis and I know the truth contained within them.

Can anyone give a specific example from the works of C. S. Lewis that makes his works bad, or must we rely on what others have to say, movie reviews, and assumptions?

Re: Chronicles of Narnia #49854
12/25/05 04:55 AM
12/25/05 04:55 AM
razorren  Offline
Bahamas
quote:
Originally posted by Dora:
According to Jesus' own words in Matthew 7:13,14, do we really want to be in the majority?

But, I am just asking, "Do we really want to be in the majority today?" Something to think about.

Dora, as longs as we're on the side of Truth and Him that is Truth, we are in the majority. Even though in the natural the numbers may not reflect it.

[Wink]

--Ren

Re: Chronicles of Narnia #49855
12/25/05 04:56 AM
12/25/05 04:56 AM
razorren  Offline
Bahamas
Nice line-up Dave. Shawn Boonstra, Doug Batchelor, and Dwight Nelson. Yes, I respect all three of them but what exactly is the point? Am I to follow them regardless if they may be in error on a subject? I thought we were to look to the Bible to be our light and authority and not to the wisdom of men.

That is why we have the Holy Spirit as our guide and teacher. It’s the Spirit of Truth that will lead us into all Truth, not fiction, not the words of men, not movies or fables.

“The Holy Spirit has been given us as an aid in the study of the Bible. Jesus promised, ‘The Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in My name, He shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you.’ John 14:26. When the Bible is made the study book, with earnest supplication for the Spirit's guidance and with a full surrender of the heart to be sanctified through the truth, all that Christ has promised will be accomplished. The result of such Bible study will be well-balanced minds. The understanding will be quickened, the sensibilities aroused. The conscience will become sensitive; the sympathies and sentiments will be purified; a better moral atmosphere will be created; and new power to resist temptation will be imparted”. {CT 357.1}

This is what we need, this is what every Christian needs! The fictional books that you are so tirelessly defending will not help us today nor prepare us for the trials of tomorrow.

The first time I read the Great Controversy I stayed up all night. Time after time my eyes became filled with tears, my heart became heavy and I had to pray thanking God for who He is, pleading with Him for my past sins, asking Him for the strength to endure. There are no illusions in that book as to who God is. Many have testified that reading that book brought them to Christ because the book lifts up Christ!! Can we be of Christ and still worship Mary? Can the Chronicles of Narlia lead man to Christ and yet not mention Christ? If it is not lifting up Christ, then who is it lifting up? Sure, when you repeat in the child’s hearing on how “Christian” the movie is, then what do you expect to hear other than agreement? But let’s come back to reality shall we. How does a movie that does not mention the name of Jesus lead people to Jesus? Is this the best that the modern day Christian can do?? Is it any wonder that we are loosing our young people like a busted pipe looses water!!

Please, no diversions. I have nothing against CS Lewis, nor will I ever question his salvation. Those were never the issue. This real issue is what we allow into our minds and more over what we are encouraging others to put into theirs.

“The readers of fiction are indulging an evil that destroys spirituality, eclipsing the beauty of the sacred page. It creates an unhealthy excitement, fevers the imagination, unfits the mind for usefulness, weans the soul from prayer, and disqualifies it for any spiritual exercise.” {MYP 272.2}

This statement is clear. It has nothing to do with an Adventist “schema” that you seem fond of saying…it is the straight truth. I would think that the words of a Prophet have more weight than the words of Mr. Boostra, Batchelor or Mr. Nelson (who has been quoting from Rick Warren’s The Purpose Driven life on the pulpit).

But this takes me back to the question that I have always asked…”do we really believe that Christ is coming soon? Or are we just giving lip service to sound good?”

It baffles my mind to think the Adventists who say that Christ is soon to come are encouraging people to read fiction! Is this the best that we can do? Why not encourage others to read / study their Bible, and Steps to Christ, and The Great Cont, and Adventist Home, and Councils on Diet, etc, etc. What about books from Uriah Smith and our other pioneers? Is this what those who were called to preach the end-time message are busy doing?

"The road to hell is paved with good intentions".

“Even fiction which contains no suggestion of impurity, and which may be intended to teach excellent principles, is harmful. It encourages the habit of hasty and superficial reading, merely for the story. Thus it tends to destroy the power of connected and vigorous thought; it unfits the soul to contemplate the great problems of duty and destiny.” {CT 383.2}

Up to this point I have not seen anyone produce Biblical evidence or from the SOP that encourages us to develop a taste for the unreal, works of fiction on magic. Instead many are in open rebellion to the councils to stay away from the above. My advice to you my friends is to be very careful.

2 Cor 11:14 And no marvel; for Satan himself is transformed into an angel of light.

As the end-time generation, we must get the victory over the pleasures of this world and thankfully, Christ will freely give this power to all those who earnestly seek it.

2 Cor 10:4 (For the weapons of our warfare are not , but mighty through God to the pulling down of strong holds;)
2 Cor 10:5 Casting down imaginations , and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ;

--Ren

Re: Chronicles of Narnia #49856
12/25/05 05:03 AM
12/25/05 05:03 AM
razorren  Offline
Bahamas
Satan is seeking to destroy God's people by any means that he can. His methods have become more suttle and more crafty than ever.

I encourage all those that are watching and guarding their gates to continue to do so.

Be sober and watch...

--Ren

Re: Chronicles of Narnia #49857
12/25/05 01:24 PM
12/25/05 01:24 PM
V
vastergotland  Offline
Active Member 2011
3500+ Member
Sweden
It seems everything there is to say has been said, let everyone be convinced in their own mind and follow their conciences.

/Thomas

Re: Chronicles of Narnia #49858
12/26/05 02:35 PM
12/26/05 02:35 PM
D
D R  Offline
Charter Member
SDA
Active Member 2020

East Coast Canada
Well we had better EDIT (censor) the scriptures BECAUSE not all of the stories were literal, MANY were "fiction" pointing to reality. This is also what CS Lewis does, so lets get serious here and look at the roots of the stories, where they are pointing us to and the full intent of the stories! IF we are so "pig headed" (oops thats not kosher ) to not understand that scripture uses SYMBOLISM, which points to SERIOUS reality and likewise the Narnia series uses SYMBOLISM to point to reality...then we had best go hide our heads in the sand, beacause sombodies got OSTRICH syndrom, (maybe this is another form of AVIAN flu? )
-Thank you Dave for your serious and relevent posts. Shalom

Re: Chronicles of Narnia #49859
12/26/05 03:02 PM
12/26/05 03:02 PM
razorren  Offline
Bahamas
Greetings Beachbum,

What is your position regarding the councils below which we have been given?

“Even fiction which contains no suggestion of impurity, and which may be intended to teach excellent principles, is harmful. It encourages the habit of hasty and superficial reading, merely for the story. Thus it tends to destroy the power of connected and vigorous thought; it unfits the soul to contemplate the great problems of duty and destiny.” {CT 383.2}

“The readers of fiction are indulging an evil that destroys spirituality, eclipsing the beauty of the sacred page. It creates an unhealthy excitement, fevers the imagination, unfits the mind for usefulness, weans the soul from prayer, and disqualifies it for any spiritual exercise.” {MYP 272.2}

Either we believe them and will follow them, or we don't believe and will reject them. This is a personal decision that we all must make.

--Ren

Re: Chronicles of Narnia #49860
12/26/05 05:58 PM
12/26/05 05:58 PM
V
vastergotland  Offline
Active Member 2011
3500+ Member
Sweden
Ren

May I refer you to the secound post in this thread. Ellen wrote that aswell. Do we have an irreconcilable contradiction from the writings of Ellen here?`

/Thomas

Re: Chronicles of Narnia #49861
12/26/05 06:31 PM
12/26/05 06:31 PM
Redfog  Offline OP
Michigan, USA
This might be one of those areas where we can never reconcile all differences, either among ourselves or with the writings of Mrs. White. Those against CS Lewis's Chronicles of Narnia (CON) will bring up what she said about fiction, and those for the CON will bring up the fact that she recommended fiction (alegories). There is fiction and symbolism in the Bible, that is undeniable. The parable of the Rich Man and Lazarus was fiction, also an allegory, undeniable.

There will be those on this thread that will never accept the fact that this issue will have to be reconciled in the heart of the reader. Both sides can be "proved" with the Bible and Mrs. White, but likely those that are hard set one way or the other will never acknowledge that fact. As some wise person on here said earlier, we need to be careful that we don't end up condemning Mrs. White with her own writings.

Also what might be fine for an adult to read might not be fine for a child to read. Lets face it there are many passages in the Bible that we'd not want our children to scrutinize too closely! (Like the story of Ester)

Redfog

Re: Chronicles of Narnia #49862
12/26/05 10:18 PM
12/26/05 10:18 PM
D
Dora  Offline
Charter Member
Active Member 2013
Veteran Member
USA
Perhaps I should have given my personal testimony on this subject several posts ago. But, here it is now. Maybe I came across as never having read fiction, of knowing nothing of it, but I can personally attest to all of this being true that Ren posted above from EW's writings:

All my life I loved to read, I grew up reading fairy stories, "Little Women," Nancy Drew mysteries, and others. I love history, and finally developed a passion for historical fiction. I immersed myself in it, and sometimes the fiction was more real to me than the world around me, even after I was a wife with a family.

After I joined the SDA Church, I had a terrible time learning to read the Bible and the SOP. For years, it was dull and boring to me, simply because I was used to more exciting stories. Of course, I had been taught the Bible stories from a child, but reading the Bible myself was a chore.

There were some bad events occurred in my life which some of you on here know about, and those drove me to desire a closer walk with Jesus. And to find a closer walk with Him, I needed to look for Him in His Word. No, the gift of desiring to read the Bible did not come overnight, although my committment to a closer walk with Him did come almost that way. But, gradually, I did learn what wonderful, exciting revelations Jesus had waiting for me if only I would try them, both in the Bible and the SOP.

Recently, I was thinking of the huge, thick book, "Gone With The Wind," which many years ago I read without thinking it was a chore at all. I know now that if I were told I must read it, now it would seem like an impossible task. But, I was also thinking, "Just suppose I decided, I will just read a chapter or two of this historical fiction, just to see what it is.." there is every possibility I would get "hooked" again. That is what I have been told that it means to be a "recovering alcoholic," one can never take that one drink, ever again. I believe anything we do which takes our mind from Jesus is just the same.

That is why I feel as I do about fiction, for I KNOW from bad experience that it does dull one's desire for the Word, and only through the grace and love of Jesus have I been enabled to enjoy and somewhat understand it. And, I daily thank Him for this.

Thank all of you for allowing me to share my testimony on this subject. I have no "fight" with anyone as to what they read, eat, watch or do. If you should ask my convictions, I will be glad to share, but that is all. We are told to do all to the glory of God, and that truly is between all of us and God. I just know what is right for me.

In His Love,

Page 11 of 15 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 14 15

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 04/28/24 11:09 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 04/21/24 06:41 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 04/28/24 09:29 AM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by dedication. 04/01/24 07:48 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!