HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,600
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 14
kland 9
Daryl 3
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (dedication, Karen Y, ProdigalOne, Kevin H, Daryl, 1 invisible), 2,960 guests, and 19 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 13 of 15 1 2 11 12 13 14 15
Re: Chronicles of Narnia #49873
01/26/06 10:52 PM
01/26/06 10:52 PM
zyph  Offline
Dedicated Member
Australia
I have read only the last page of this, so I apologise if this has already been said. Lewis wrote the Tales of Narnia as science fiction. He said later that they seemed to have a life of their own in becoming allegorical. Might this not merely have been that his imagination was using the things with which he was familiar? If the author himself - and I believe I read this in a reliable public source, but would have to seek the quote again - says he wrote a science fiction book, hasn't he made the matter clear? You may find allegories in many things, but they're not necessarily inspired. Stay away from that which leads in the wrong direction.

Re: Chronicles of Narnia #49874
01/28/06 04:54 AM
01/28/06 04:54 AM
Davros  Offline
Dedicated Member
Ohio
Perhaps, but Lewis also said that he could not help writing a Christian story because he was, before anything else, a Christian. He also said that he had "a desier to teach childern about Chrits without all the stained glass."

You could make an agument for either side of this topic on that ground.

Re: Chronicles of Narnia #49875
01/28/06 04:58 AM
01/28/06 04:58 AM
Davros  Offline
Dedicated Member
Ohio
quote:
Originally posted by Dave Hoover:
quote:
That’s when somebody took pity on me and loaned me the Chronicles of Narnia, by C.S. Lewis—all seven books. And I read them, cover to cover, several times.

In one of those books, The Magician’s Nephew, some children stumble across the ruins of a magnificent castle in the woods, and in the midst of the rubble they find a golden bell with a little hammer.

Now, if you were a child, and you found a bell in the woods, what would you do? I know what I’d do, I would ring it. Except that underneath this bell is an inscription:

Make your choice, adventurous stranger:
Strike the bell and bide the danger,
Or wonder, till it drives you mad,
What would have followed if you had.

One of the children in the story just can’t help himself. He has to know what happens when you ring the bell. And so, in spite of the warning, he grabs the hammer and hits it, just once. And the bell rings—just like you would expect. But the ringing never stops.

It swells in volume until it starts shaking the trees of the forest and the walls of the ancient castle. Everything begins to collapse, and they barely escape with their lives. In the end, they discovered that it was a big price to pay for a little bit of fun.

That is the story of sin. The bill is always bigger than you thought it was going to be.

Shawn Boonstra
IT IS WRITTEN Television Series
BUY NOW, PAY LATER
Production No. 1017
http://www.iiw.org/tvprogram/scripts/program-1017-script-1.html

quote:
"Well, what about C. S. Lewis?” You know, C. S. Lewis who wrote the Chronicles of Narnia. And they say, “Well, those are some very popular books.” Now, I did read most of the Chronicles of Narnia. We read them with our kids and I’m not endorsing them. I’m not telling you to. But here’s what the difference is (Bewtwwn C. S. Lewis and J. K. Rowling). C. S. Lewis was a Christian. He wrote them for the purpose, in his own words, he said, “I wanted to teach the themes of the Plan of Salvation and Christianity to the children without all the stained glass.” And as you read it you recognize Aslan is Jesus and there’s these battles and he used some of the old English Fairy Tale/Pilgrim’s Progress motif.

Doug Batchelor
“What is Truth” - 2148
http://adventist.tv/transcripts/HWA-2003-02-14.htm

Re: Chronicles of Narnia #49876
01/28/06 02:53 AM
01/28/06 02:53 AM
R
rhammen  Offline
Everett, WA USA
I've never read the Ch. of Narnia. But I have read other books by Lewis.

At times it has seemed to me that they're just a waste of time and "garbage." My kids, however, love them, and are really into them. They have the right to their opinion; mine was worthless since it was based on prejudice since I never checked them out.

People read the Bible in public universities as literature and get nothing out of it. My son, who's 13, says he has learned more about redemption, salvation, faith, baptism and the story of the world (Great Controversy) by reading them. they haven't seen the new movie, but they do have the BBC videos on them. He says the actors show the spirit that is revealed in the books.

Some SDAs love to trash Christmas. We got it three Sabbaths in a row at church during Sabbath School. What is the purpose of that?! Yes, we know it's pagan, but EGW supports using Christmas trees, in church! So, how are you going to be an SDA and trash Christmas? Wel, it happens. The wise thing would be to use the Christmas season as an opportunity for evangelism. We shouldn't preach against the materialism of it all and its pagan roots and sun worship. Preach the word! Talkk about the meaning of it.

So, people are into Narnia. Let's educate ourselves about it so we in turn can point them to the truths revealed in it. The gospel needs to be contextualized. Here's a great opportunity to talk about those truths instead of just saying, perhaps to someone looking for the truth, "Oh, I don't like to talk about those things Satan is using."

R

Re: Chronicles of Narnia #49877
01/29/06 08:45 AM
01/29/06 08:45 AM
zyph  Offline
Dedicated Member
Australia
There was nothing wrong with eating food offered to idols. Paul made that clear. But he would not make his brother stumble. You might well read with a mindset to find the allegory, but children just plain enjoy a ripping good yarn and don't have the maturity to understand the difference.

Re: Chronicles of Narnia #49878
01/30/06 12:21 AM
01/30/06 12:21 AM
D
D R  Offline
Charter Member
SDA
Active Member 2020

East Coast Canada
zyph, you are highly underestimating the conceptual abilities of Children!

Re: Chronicles of Narnia #49879
02/01/06 04:37 AM
02/01/06 04:37 AM
Davros  Offline
Dedicated Member
Ohio
I was able to understand it as a child, but then my mother took the time to explain it to me. Perhaps children do not understand today because parents do not take the time to explain.

Re: Chronicles of Narnia #49880
02/02/06 04:06 AM
02/02/06 04:06 AM
zyph  Offline
Dedicated Member
Australia
I've actually studied the developmental capacities of children as they mature, so I do have some knowledge based in fact. Mrs White warned against fiction. This was a science fiction book. End of story.

Re: Chronicles of Narnia #49881
02/01/06 05:00 PM
02/01/06 05:00 PM
D
Dora  Offline
Charter Member
Active Member 2013
Veteran Member
USA
We still have the question, "Why should we even be explaining it to the children?" If we have time and opportunity to explain anything to the children above the roar of the TVs in so many homes, why not explain the Bible stories?

Thank you, Zyph, for your well spoken observations.

In His Love,
Dora

Re: Chronicles of Narnia #49882
02/04/06 04:03 AM
02/04/06 04:03 AM
Davros  Offline
Dedicated Member
Ohio
We shouldn't have to - if our children know the Bible. I too have some experience in psychology, and I know that an allegory is not a hard thing for an adolescent to understand. If we took the time to educate our children in the Bible, we would have no need to explain allegories to them. Would a normal child understand "Pilgrim's Progress?" See we can wish it to be the end of the story, but it goes a lot deeper than we would wish. Why did Ellen White recommend a work of fiction if all fiction is bad? Why did Jesus tell fictitious stories if all fiction is bad?

The truth is this – if our children were more educated in the Bible, they would understand the Christian implementation of the stories. For those children that do understand it, I must congratulate the parents on the fine job they have done and praise God that they understand the Christian struggle so well.

As I said some three or four pages ago, if you read the book, "C. S. Lewis: Letters to Children," you would find that many children understood the Christian element of Narnai in the 1950's and 60's. If it is not that way today, it is because we are now living in a pagan society, and parents are not doing enough to train their children in Christianity.

Ellen White warned against fiction then recommended "Pilgrim's Progress" (a clear work of fiction that uses many of the same elements as Narnia) Jesus told fictitious stories. What do we really have a problem with here? The recommendation of allegories by Ellen White? The use of an allegory like Jesus used? Are we to fault a work because it uses the same teaching method that Jesus used? Are we to fault a work for using a teaching method as “Pilgrim’s Progress” used (A book recommended by Ellen G. White)?

Page 13 of 15 1 2 11 12 13 14 15

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 04/28/24 11:09 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 04/21/24 06:41 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 04/28/24 09:29 AM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by dedication. 04/01/24 07:48 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!