When we thoroughly examine how Ellen White said we should spend Christmas, it is a very far cry from what I see done.

She says we should spend no money on ornaments, the tree should be decorated with gifts for God only (not all the baubles most put on it), if any gifts are given to family and friends it should be religious books. The day should be spent in in lifting up Jesus. I have no problem spending Christmas in this manner. However, how many do you see spending Christmas in this manner? By spending Christmas in this manner Ellen White has eliminated the paganism out of the day. It is a far cry from what is actually done in most homes.

I read once how Ellen White spent one Christmas day--in her own words. She and her family made a meal for a poor family and then took the meal to the family. Doing this took up their whole day. This is a great way to spend the day!

By the way, an interesting fact most people don't know. The Pilgrims knew that Christmas was paganism baptized by the Catholic Church and brought in to the church. For that reason they did not celebrate Christmas. Furthermore, they even punished anyone who did not work on that day. (A little farther than they should have gone, I think.) They also made it illegal to celebrate Christmas and these anti-Christmas laws remained on the law books in New England until some time in the 1840's. Well, the Pilgrims were right in that Christmas is simply baptized paganism and this paganism should not be observed by Christians.

[ March 13, 2002: Message edited by: Jean Miller ]