HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,601
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 15
kland 9
Daryl 3
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Member Spotlight
ProdigalOne
ProdigalOne
Alberta, Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (Karen Y, dedication, ProdigalOne, Kevin H, Daryl, 1 invisible), 2,952 guests, and 19 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Spirit of Prophesy #6777
08/09/03 11:20 AM
08/09/03 11:20 AM
V
vastergotland  Offline OP
Active Member 2011
3500+ Member
Sweden
It seems to me that "the spirit of prophesy" is sometimes used as an alternative name of Ellen White. So, my questions are, is the spirit of prophesy something only ellen white have had? is the spirit of prophesy always called just "spirit of prophesy? does anyone on this forum have the spirit of prophesy?

I have this week been on a conference for the exchange of ideas on how to plant churches (SDA conference) and there has been much said about Jesus, whos story we must share with those who still dont know it, and the Holy Spirit who are providing everything we must have to do so. The Holy Spirit has many names in the scriptures, one of which is "the spirit of elijah". Also it has been said that Spirit of Prophesy is one of the names for the Holy Spirit.

/Thomas

Re: Spirit of Prophesy #6778
08/11/03 12:27 AM
08/11/03 12:27 AM
Daryl  Online Canadian

Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
I think it would be good to see what both the Bible and the writings of EGW have to say about this topic, therefore, I moved the topic here.

What does the Bible have to say about the spirit of prophecy?

Here is one reference I have found:

quote:

Revelation 19:10 And I fell at his feet to worship him. And he said unto me, See thou do it not: I am thy fellowservant, and of thy brethren that have the testimony of Jesus: worship God: for the testimony of Jesus is the spirit of prophecy.

The Bible tells us that the testimony of Jesus is the spirit of prophecy.

What does this actually mean?

Re: Spirit of Prophesy #6779
08/11/03 09:17 PM
08/11/03 09:17 PM
V
Active Member 2011
3500+ Member
Sweden
quote:
Originally posted by Daryl Fawcett:

quote:

Revelation 19:10 And I fell at his feet to worship him. And he said unto me, See thou do it not: I am thy fellowservant, and of thy brethren that have the testimony of Jesus: worship God: for the testimony of Jesus is the spirit of prophecy.

The Bible tells us that the testimony of Jesus is the spirit of prophecy.

What does this actually mean?

It seems to me that John and the other christians of that day had the spirit of prophesy. Also it would seem that if we can testify of Jesus to others, we to would have the spirit of prophesy.

/Thomas

Re: Spirit of Prophesy #6780
10/04/03 04:56 AM
10/04/03 04:56 AM
G
Greg Goodchild  Offline
Placerville, CA
It seems to me that "the spirit of prophesy" is sometimes used as an alternative name of Ellen White.
It is an alternative name to the writings of EGW.

So, my questions are, is the spirit of prophesy something only ellen white have had?
No, the Spirit of Prophecy is the gift of prophecy that is administered by the Holy Spirit through whom He chooses and for His infinites purposes. EGW, and her writings, happened to be a major manifestation of this gift of God.

is the spirit of prophesy always called just "spirit of prophesy?
Some times it is called the Testimony of Jesus. Rev 12:17 and Rev 19:10

does anyone on this forum have the spirit of prophesy?
I have the gift of teaching which is what a prophet does. I have never given a prophecy that has only been given through me. As a teacher I have taught, and do teach supernatural things that the HOly Spirit has revealed to me. But these things have been in the Bible and Spirit of Prophecy.

I have this week been on a conference for the exchange of ideas on how to plant churches (SDA conference) and there has been much said about Jesus, whos story we must share with those who still dont know it, and the Holy Spirit who are providing everything we must have to do so. The Holy Spirit has many names in the scriptures, one of which is "the spirit of elijah". Also it has been said that Spirit of Prophesy is one of the names for the Holy Spirit.
That is true. An interesting text to study on your questions is Numbers 11. It has some interesting things to say about the gift of prophecy. Of course the largest discourse on the subject is I Cor 12-14

Re: Spirit of Prophesy #6781
10/04/03 05:04 PM
10/04/03 05:04 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Here's an interesting insight. I did a search on the phrase "the spirit of" and here's what I found.

Exodus
28:3 And thou shalt speak unto all [that are] wise hearted, whom I have filled with the spirit of wisdom, that they may make Aaron's garments to consecrate him, that he may minister unto me in the priest's office.

Numbers
5:14 And the spirit of jealousy come upon him, and he be jealous of his wife, and she be defiled: or if the spirit of jealousy come upon him, and he be jealous of his wife, and she be not defiled:

1 Samuel
11:6 And the spirit of God came upon Saul when he heard those tidings, and his anger was kindled greatly.

2 Kings
2:15 And when the sons of the prophets which [were] to view at Jericho saw him, they said, The spirit of Elijah doth rest on Elisha. And they came to meet him, and bowed themselves to the ground before him.

2 Chronicles
21:16 Moreover the LORD stirred up against Jehoram the spirit of the Philistines, and of the Arabians, that [were] near the Ethiopians:

Ezra
1:1 Now in the first year of Cyrus king of Persia, that the word of the LORD by the mouth of Jeremiah might be fulfilled, the LORD stirred up the spirit of Cyrus king of Persia, that he made a proclamation throughout all his kingdom, and [put it] also in writing, saying,

Job
20:3 I have heard the check of my reproach, and the spirit of my understanding causeth me to answer.

Proverbs
20:27 The spirit of man [is] the candle of the LORD, searching all the inward parts of the belly.

Isaiah
4:4 When the Lord shall have washed away the filth of the daughters of Zion, and shall have purged the blood of Jerusalem from the midst thereof by the spirit of judgment, and by the spirit of burning.

Isaiah
11:2 And the spirit of the LORD shall rest upon him, the spirit of wisdom and understanding, the spirit of counsel and might, the spirit of knowledge and of the fear of the LORD;

Isaiah
29:10 For the LORD hath poured out upon you the spirit of deep sleep, and hath closed your eyes: the prophets and your rulers, the seers hath he covered.

Daniel
4:9 O Belteshazzar, master of the magicians, because I know that the spirit of the holy gods [is] in thee, and no secret troubleth thee, tell me the visions of my dream that I have seen, and the interpretation thereof.

Hosea
4:12 My people ask counsel at their stocks, and their staff declareth unto them: for the spirit of whoredoms hath caused [them] to err, and they have gone a whoring from under their God.

Zechariah
12:10 And I will pour upon the house of David, and upon the inhabitants of Jerusalem, the spirit of grace and of supplications: and they shall look upon me whom they have pierced, and they shall mourn for him, as one mourneth for [his] only [son], and shall be in bitterness for him, as one that is in bitterness for [his] firstborn.

Romans
1:4 And declared [to be] the Son of God with power, according to the spirit of holiness, by the resurrection from the dead:
8:15 For ye have not received the spirit of bondage again to fear; but ye have received the Spirit of adoption, whereby we cry, Abba, Father.
11:8 (According as it is written, God hath given them the spirit of slumber, eyes that they should not see, and ears that they should not hear;) unto this day.

1 Corinthians
2:12 Now we have received, not the spirit of the world, but the spirit which is of God; that we might know the things that are freely given to us of God.
4:21 What will ye? shall I come unto you with a rod, or in love, and [in] the spirit of meekness?

Galatians
6:1 Brethren, if a man be overtaken in a fault, ye which are spiritual, restore such an one in the spirit of meekness; considering thyself, lest thou also be tempted.

Ephesians
1:17 That the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of glory, may give unto you the spirit of wisdom and revelation in the knowledge of him:

2 Timothy
1:7 For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind.

1 John
4:3 And every spirit that confesseth not that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is not of God: and this is that spirit of antichrist, whereof ye have heard that it should come; and even now already is it in the world.
4:6 We are of God: he that knoweth God heareth us; he that is not of God heareth not us. Hereby know we the spirit of truth, and the spirit of error.

Revelation
19:10 And I fell at his feet to worship him. And he said unto me, See [thou do it] not: I am thy fellowservant, and of thy brethren that have the testimony of Jesus: worship God: for the testimony of Jesus is the spirit of prophecy.

Re: Spirit of Prophesy #6782
10/05/03 08:29 PM
10/05/03 08:29 PM
V
Active Member 2011
3500+ Member
Sweden
Originally posted by Greg Goodchild:
It seems to me that "the spirit of prophesy" is sometimes used as an alternative name of Ellen White.
It is an alternative name to the writings of EGW.

Then the question comes, is it missused? Should we reduce the meaning of the term to only include the work of one person who had the gift of prophesy?

Re: Spirit of Prophesy #6783
10/05/03 08:56 PM
10/05/03 08:56 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Maybe I'm the only one here that thinks the various ways the Bible uses the phrase "the spirit of" is helpful information? But it would seem from the examples posted above that the phrase "the spirit of prophecy" is an experience rather than an office, a verb (action word) rather than a noun (person, place or thing), a process rather than a product.

In other words, the spirit or mind of a prophet is what enables him to receive a prophecy. Notice the different spellings - prophecy vs. prophesy. Prophecy is the message itself whereas prophesy is proclaiming it. Anybody with the gift to teach or preach can prophesy, but only those with the spirit or gift of prophecy can receive a prophecy.

So, is Sister White the only person with the spirit of prophecy? Well, certainly she is the only person God has used extinsively since John the Revelator. There have no doubt been people who have experienced the spirit of prophecy on a limited or localized scale, but Sister White seems to be the lsat person God has used in wide scale fashion. I suspect though that there will be more people gifted with the spirit of prophecy before Jesus returns.

What do you think?

Re: Spirit of Prophesy #6784
10/05/03 09:33 PM
10/05/03 09:33 PM
Daryl  Online Canadian

Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
I never noticed the two different spellings in the Bible before, and the word or spelling of the phrase, spirit of prophecy, is found only once in the whole Bible.

quote:

And the spelling of the phrase,spirit of prophesy, isn't found anywhere in the whole Bible.

Interesting!

Re: Spirit of Prophesy #6785
10/06/03 07:39 AM
10/06/03 07:39 AM
V
Active Member 2011
3500+ Member
Sweden
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Lowe:
Maybe I'm the only one here that thinks the various ways the Bible uses the phrase "the spirit of" is helpful information? But it would seem from the examples posted above that the phrase "the spirit of prophecy" is an experience rather than an office, a verb (action word) rather than a noun (person, place or thing), a process rather than a product.

In other words, the spirit or mind of a prophet is what enables him to receive a prophecy. Notice the different spellings - prophecy vs. prophesy. Prophecy is the message itself whereas prophesy is proclaiming it. Anybody with the gift to teach or preach can prophesy, but only those with the spirit or gift of prophecy can receive a prophecy.

So, is Sister White the only person with the spirit of prophecy? Well, certainly she is the only person God has used extinsively since John the Revelator. There have no doubt been people who have experienced the spirit of prophecy on a limited or localized scale, but Sister White seems to be the lsat person God has used in wide scale fashion. I suspect though that there will be more people gifted with the spirit of prophecy before Jesus returns.

What do you think?

Wasnt aware this difference existed before you mentioned it here. As Daryl pointed out, its "prophecy" thats interesting here and not "prophesy".

I had never thaught of "the spirit of prophecy" as a state of mind, but I see how one can read it that way in context of the other uses of the phrase "spirit of...".
On another level it says, "spirit of prophecy = testimony of Jesus" and "you and your brothers who hold the testimony of Jesus" speaking to John. Thus it seems that spirit of prophesy wasnt uncommon in the time of John, in fact as the angle calls himself a fellowservant of John and his brothers who hold the testimony of Jesus, every beliver would have had the spirit of prophecy at that time. Also noticed that he cannot be talking about the other apostles since it is said that John was the only apostle still alive at this point in time.

Lastly I wonder how we can be sure that EW was the last since John to be a prophet on large scale. After all, there are perhaps 14-15 million people who accept the adventist faith and who thus would accept Ellens prophecy, noticing that nonadventists dont seem to inclined to do so, not on any large scale anyway. 14 million isnt much on the 6 billion people or even on the 2 billion christians in the world. There is a possibility of other prophets with prophecies reaching equal amounths of people that we never heard about. In case anyone would feel like write these 2 billion christians of as heretics for not accepting the prophesies of Ellen, id just want to point out that such an attitude comes close to shifting the focus from Jesus to Ellen and crossing that line would be a herecy in itself. Remember the parable where Jesus tells about the wheat and the weeds (matt 13:34-30).

/Thomas

Re: Spirit of Prophesy #6786
10/06/03 02:52 PM
10/06/03 02:52 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Exodus
25:22 And there I will meet with thee, and I will commune with thee from above the mercy seat, from between the two cherubims which [are] upon the ark of the testimony, of all [things] which I will give thee in commandment unto the children of Israel.

Psalm
19:7 The law of the LORD [is] perfect, converting the soul: the testimony of the LORD [is] sure, making wise the simple.

1 Corinthians
1:4 I thank my God always on your behalf, for the grace of God which is given you by Jesus Christ;
1:5 That in every thing ye are enriched by him, in all utterance, and [in] all knowledge;
1:6 Even as the testimony of Christ was confirmed in you:
1:7 So that ye come behind in no gift; waiting for the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ:
1:8 Who shall also confirm you unto the end, [that ye may be] blameless in the day of our Lord Jesus Christ.
2:1 And I, brethren, when I came to you, came not with excellency of speech or of wisdom, declaring unto you the testimony of God.
2:2 For I determined not to know any thing among you, save Jesus Christ, and him crucified.

2 Timothy
1:8 Be not thou therefore ashamed of the testimony of our Lord, nor of me his prisoner: but be thou partaker of the afflictions of the gospel according to the power of God;

Revelation
1:2 Who [John] bare record of the word of God, and of the testimony of Jesus Christ, and of all things that he saw.
1:9 I John, who also am your brother, and companion in tribulation, and in the kingdom and patience of Jesus Christ, was in the isle that is called Patmos, for the word of God, and for the testimony of Jesus Christ.
12:17 And the dragon was wroth with the woman, and went to make war with the remnant of her seed, which keep the commandments of God, and have the testimony of Jesus Christ.
19:10 And I fell at his feet to worship him. And he said unto me, See [thou do it] not: I am thy fellowservant, and of thy brethren that have the testimony of Jesus: worship God: for the testimony of Jesus is the spirit of prophecy.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderator  dedication 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 04/28/24 11:09 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 04/21/24 06:41 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 04/29/24 09:07 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 04/28/24 09:29 AM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by dedication. 04/01/24 07:48 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!