HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,619
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 21
kland 9
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
ProdigalOne
ProdigalOne
Alberta, Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
5 registered members (Karen Y, dedication, Nadi, 2 invisible), 3,500 guests, and 16 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 8 of 15 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 14 15
Re: Are the writtings of EGWhite equal to the BIBLE ? #7268
04/22/06 04:11 PM
04/22/06 04:11 PM
D
Dr.Glenn  Offline
Nevada
DebbieB:
I agree.
EGW said: "Brother J would confuse the mind by seeking to make it appear that the light God has given through the Testimonies is an addition to the word of God, but he presents the matter in a false light. God has seen fit in this manner to bring the minds of His people to His word, to give them a clearer understanding or it. But notwithstanding all this, some who profess to make the word of God their study are found living in direct opposition to its plainest teachings. Then to leave men and women without excuse, God gives plain and pointed testimonies bringing them back to the word of God that they have neglected to follow." 5T663

grw
Re: Are the writtings of EGWhite equal to the BIBLE ? #7269
04/22/06 05:00 PM
04/22/06 05:00 PM
D
Dr.Glenn  Offline
Nevada
Dear BBD:
When the first statement of fundamental beliefs was published, Seventh-day Adventists believed this:
"XVI. That the Spirit of God has promised to manifest itself in the church through certain gifts, enumerated especially in 1 Cor.12 and Eph.4; that these gifts are not designed to supersede, or take the place of, the Bible, which is sufficient to make us wise unto salvation, any more than the Bible can take the place of the Holy Spirit; that, in specifying the various channels of its operation, that spirit has simply made provision for its own existence and presence with the people of God to the end of time, to lead us to an understanding of that word which it had inspired, to convince of sin, and to work a transformation in the heart and life; that those who deny to the Spirit its place and operation, do plainly deny that part of the Bible which assigns to it this work and position."
(the gift of prophecy and spiritual gifts were included in one paragraph in the original statement whereas the 1980 statement of beliefs it is set forth in two paragraphs: 17 and 18)
The writings of E.G. White are a gift given to the church by the Holy Spirit.
Do Seventh-day Adventists still believe this original statement of belief?

grw
Re: Are the writtings of EGWhite equal to the BIBLE ? #7270
04/26/06 01:58 AM
04/26/06 01:58 AM
Daryl  Offline

Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
This is what it says now:

Quote:

18. Gift of Prophecy
One of the gifts of the Holy Spirit is prophecy. This gift is an identifying mark of the remnant church and was manifested in the ministry of Ellen G. White. As the Lord’s messenger, her writings are a continuing and authoritative source of truth which provide for the church comfort, guidance, instruction, and correction. They also make clear that the Bible is the standard by which all teaching and experience must be tested. (Joel 2:28, 29; Acts 2:14-21; Heb. 1:1-3; Rev. 12:17; 19:10.)

Isn't this new wording basically saying the same thing?

In His Love, Mercy & Grace,

Daryl smile

John 8:32 And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.

http://www.christians-discuss.com/forum/index.php
Re: Are the writtings of EGWhite equal to the BIBLE ? #7271
04/26/06 02:44 AM
04/26/06 02:44 AM
D
Dr.Glenn  Offline
Nevada
Quote:

This is what it says now:

Quote:

18. Gift of Prophecy
One of the gifts of the Holy Spirit is prophecy. This gift is an identifying mark of the remnant church and was manifested in the ministry of Ellen G. White. As the Lord’s messenger, her writings are a continuing and authoritative source of truth which provide for the church comfort, guidance, instruction, and correction. They also make clear that the Bible is the standard by which all teaching and experience must be tested. (Joel 2:28, 29; Acts 2:14-21; Heb. 1:1-3; Rev. 12:17; 19:10.)

Isn't this new wording basically saying the same thing?

I think the original statement makes it much clearer that the gifts of the Spirit of God which includes the writings of EGW are not to take the place of the Bible. Many people will quote EGW, but will not direct a person to the Bible. I get a different picture when I read the writings of EGW. If I read far enough, she always gives a Bible text to look up.

grw
Re: Are the writtings of EGWhite equal to the BIBLE ? #7272
04/26/06 07:08 AM
04/26/06 07:08 AM
Kevin H  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

New York
In today's world we see prophecy as the Bible writers, then Mrs. White, but archaeologists tell us that there was a prophetic guild with differnt types of prophets. There were the prophets who's writings became the Bible, who tended to have a special relationship with Emperors and giving a very universal message. Then there were local prophets who would make local applications of the universal message to groups or to certan times in history.

We find this same issue in history. The early church had Bible writers, and also metions prohets who did not write the Bible. Then during the dark ages we find that there was a man (and I'm sorry but I keep mispelling his name) Jehocin of Flore, who the church had accepted as a prophet, and the pope who was living at that time also proclaimed him to be a true prophet. His prophecys laid the ground work for what later developed into the Protestant Reformation, and Adventism's approach to prophecy is fully based on his principles, and Dispensationalism is based on taking a portion of his message and building something new on only a portion of his message, but, like us, they still use his prophecys as their foundation.

We also see just before Ellen White the prophetic ministry of William Foy. Until the 1970s we thought that Foy had rejected the gift of prophey and soon died, but when he was researched, it was discovered that he was faithful in sharing his visions. Was the pastor of a large church in Boston which offered him a comfortable life. When Ellen Harmon started her ministry and he told how he saw the same things and how people ignored Mrs. White and crowded around him, he left Boston and moved to the backwoods of Maine pastoring small country churches and looking for people living in the back woods to minister to them, giving up a very comfortable life for a very hard life, but to minister in a place where people were off the beaten path and allow Mrs. White to have her ministry. In heaven his crown will share the stars with Mrs. White, as well as those from his ministry in Boston, but I believe that some of his stars are going to be a different color or have a unique glow or something that makes them stick out over the others, and they will be for the ones he found in the backwoods in Maine. He showed the same spirit as Jonathan showed to David.

Also, in the same time frame, Hariot Tubman was a conductor on the underground railroad. In a play I saw on Mrs. Tubman's life there was a scene where they were trapped by a river and she received a vision telling her how to escape. Now I have not come accross any place else about her having visions so I don't know where the play got it from, but if so, then she was a prophet who's visions were how to get through to freedom and safty.

We need to keep these other prophets in mind as we study Mrs. White's role as a prophet and not just limit prophecy to the few prophets who happened to have a small part of their ministry be universal enough to be the Bible, and pretend that that small part of the ministry of s few prophets be the whole of prophecy.

Now this point does not address a second issue that we need to deal with, in how the evidence says that prophecy/inspiration works (even Biblical prophecy)as opposed to how the Fundamentalism movement of the late 1800s to early 1900s say it is suposed to work.

Re: Are the writtings of EGWhite equal to the BIBLE ? #7273
04/27/06 05:13 AM
04/27/06 05:13 AM
Larry Kirkpatrick  Offline
Pastor
Veteran Member
Highland, CA, USA
The writings of EGW are inspired in equal measure to the Bible, for there are no degrees of inspiration. At the same timne, they are not intended to be added to the Bible. The Bible itself has two units (Tanakh or OT and Greek Scriptures or NT) which are composed of sub-units (Torah, Naviim, Ketuvim, i.e. law, prophets, writings, TNK=Tanakh, and the NT with its Gospels/historical, epistles, apocalyptic). Sixty-six books all told, all inspired.

However, In the Bible Nebuchadnezzar's name is spelled five different ways. Were four of them wrong? No. Spelling is probably not (in most cases at last) a key issue. Nevertheless, we understand that the phenomenon of inspiration operates such that inspired writings are protected from significant error. That is, if the prophet was about to use an expression that would basically be erroneous, the Holy Spirit is understood to have superintended and guided the mind of the prophet in order to prevent him from using the flawed expression. So we may operate on the assumption that the facts given in the Bible are indeed facts.

What we read in inspired writings therefore we may anticipate will be correct historically, scientifically, with regard to health principles, salvation, etc. Infallible means "cannot fail." I believe that the phenomenon of inspiration operates such that that which is truly inspired is infallible. This woudl go for all inspired writings, whether in Hebrew, Aramaic, Greek, or English.

In any case, we should still remember that The Bible is viewed as a unit in itself and is what we should lead with. It remains true that in His mercy God has granted us enormous insights through the gift of prophecy via EGW and we would be inviting disaster if we thought we could ignore that which God reveals to us through this source.

Bottom line, I will labor to understand and rightly divide the Bible, even as I respect and heed His warning through the Spirit of Prophecy in all its manifestations, which certainly includes the writings of Ellen G. White.

As an aside, here is a link I did to a study concerning adding to God's word, while I was pastoring in Utah and surrounded by Mormons. It is abit dated, but I can tell you, it sometimes helps cut the ice, and also it helps to review assumptions we have held. Sometimes we get surprised.

http://www.greatcontroversy.org/documents/sermons/sermonsLK/kir-addg.html

LK

Hebrews 12:14 —I want to see God— —God wants to see me— Revelation 14:12
Re: Are the writtings of EGWhite equal to the BIBLE ? #7274
04/27/06 07:05 AM
04/27/06 07:05 AM
Kevin H  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

New York
Yes Brother Kirtpatric, I want to come back and conferm that I do not believe in differences in degrees of inspriation. I hope that I did not make that impression in my last post.

Re: Are the writtings of EGWhite equal to the BIBLE ? #7275
04/27/06 12:13 PM
04/27/06 12:13 PM
Darius  Offline
Dedicated Member
Muncie, IN
It is amazing that we cannot see how much this false view of inspiration to which we hold affects the way we see the world. We are blissfully comfortable in our ignorance.

Darius A. Lecointe, J.D., Ph.D.
No weapon formed against me shall prosper.
Re: Are the writtings of EGWhite equal to the BIBLE ? #7276
04/27/06 10:47 PM
04/27/06 10:47 PM
J
Jeff  Offline
Supporting Member 2007
Mississippi, USA
Darius, you’ve made statements like that before. But you’ve never enlightened us. Care to?

Jeff

[i]...Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me.</i]
Re: Are the writtings of EGWhite equal to the BIBLE ? #7277
06/13/06 05:14 PM
06/13/06 05:14 PM
Daryl  Offline

Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
Here is an interesting EGW quote pertaining to the Bible:

Quote:

But God will have a people upon the earth to maintain the Bible, and the Bible only, as the standard of all doctrines, and the basis of all reforms. The opinions of learned men, the deductions of science, the creeds or decisions of ecclesiastical councils, as numerous and discordant as are the churches which they represent, the voice of the majority,-- not one or all of these should be regarded as evidence for or against any point of religious faith. Before accepting any doctrine or precept, we should demand a plain "Thus saith the Lord" in its support. {GC88 595.1}

Sounds like EGW places the Bible only as "the standard of all doctrines, and the basis of all reforms."

I would say that EGW's writings should be tested by the Bible, rather than the Bible being tested by EGW's writings.

This means that the Bible is to be taken above the writings of EGW as stated by EGW herself, and rightfully so, don't you all agree?

In His Love, Mercy & Grace,

Daryl smile

John 8:32 And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.

http://www.christians-discuss.com/forum/index.php
Page 8 of 15 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 14 15

Moderator  dedication 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/05/24 05:39 AM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 04/30/24 10:34 PM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by dedication. 05/05/24 05:07 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!