HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,619
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 21
kland 9
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
Rick H
Rick H
Florida, USA
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
5 registered members (Karen Y, dedication, Nadi, 2 invisible), 3,429 guests, and 16 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Re: Lesson Study #3 - Jesus and the HOLY SPIRIT #73250
04/19/06 05:20 AM
04/19/06 05:20 AM
Larry Kirkpatrick  Offline
Pastor
Veteran Member
Highland, CA, USA
Glenn,
Thanks for answering. It helps me understand something about your experience. Now I will share a few points from my own. I have no natural affinity for a pro-godhead position (one God manifest in three co-eternal persons). I have examined this teaching somewhat dispassionately. In some ways, if anything, it would be better if I could get rid of it since it is beyond complete explanation. Nevertheless, I am driven to it by Scripture. I can reconcile stack A and stack B of facts but God still requires me to accept where He has not given me the detail, by faith. I accept that in believing, He wants me to exercise faith and that this teaching is one place where He has worked as He has. He might have either given us more detail or less, and either way alleviated the apparent problem. HJe chose neither. So I am left to exercise faith or try to reason my way out of it independently of Him. I choose faith.

Another point, it is hard for me to see this issue as having a giant magnitude as an end-time "truth," as at least some seem to think it is. When I read Bible and read EGW, I can't see that this has the magnitude that some are adamant that it does. On the other hand, I see the Sabbath and its relationship to RBF and issues kindred to the cleansing of the sanctuary as dominant themes when I examine Daniel, Revelation, and EGW. I think the current stir on the three in one issue is much more fruit of the sharp meltdown in trust in church leaders that has been generated by their inaction and even radical embrace of pluralism. We are reaping the worldwind and this is just one more manifestation of it and the lost confidence some have in the church. I can only say this in the same breath as I acknowledge that in my understanding we actually have placed too much confidence in such leaders. However, there baby and bathwater and I think we should save the baby; we just need to learn to tell the babies apart from the bathwater. As long as leadership in the church is content to, through inaction, leave its influence in tatters, we will only see more of the same; more worlds made of atoms and atoms made of worlds.

Finally, I see no problem there in John 5:26. Father can raise the dead, Jesus can raise the dead. The Father appoints Jesus as Judge of men for that He took human flesh and became one of us. His mission, His coming in incarnation, are granted by the Father. That He has life in Himself is a given (life original, unborrowed, underived). Here, context shows that the main point is Jesus incarnation. The Jews were angry because they understodo that His claim made Him equal with God. Jesus did not just decide to come here on His own, but consulted with the Fatehr and the Holy Spirit before the mission was approved by the Father. I do not think that the passage is discussing ontology apart from the incarnational mission; the whole passage is littered with referneces to the incarnation specifically. I don't see the problem here, unless one is intent on removing 5:26 from its context and addressing it as an entirely independent ontological statement about God's being.

In any case, I was not stating my working beliefs as a proposition to defend them here. I have many other things at the moment that I am working on. I appreciate that you feel you have discovered significant problems in this teaching. However, I do not see these problems sustained by either the Bible or EGW. Perhaps as each of us continues to study, we will find increased clarity. But I think we can only expect that as we are willing to be led of God and to exercise faith on the way to a better understanding. If anyone would try to take the same journey on the basis of unaided human reason, it will be a lonely one without God's help. LK

Hebrews 12:14 —I want to see God— —God wants to see me— Revelation 14:12
Reply Quote
Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Re: Lesson Study #3 - Jesus and the HOLY SPIRIT #73251
04/19/06 04:38 PM
04/19/06 04:38 PM
C
Colin  Offline
Active Member 2012
Very Dedicated Member
E. Oregon, USA
Sorry, I don't have a problem with "underived" in the context of Sister White's position of Jesus begotten, divine & eternal Sonship - you have a problem...Otherwise, that non-Adventist scholar I referred to is a trinitarian defending orthodox trinitarianism.

The real mystery to me is that Adventism lays claim to the trinitarian label but rejects and refuses the very basis of trinitarian teaching: the Son of God is begotten of the Father, "God of God" etc.

All the while the Holy Spirit is Jesus' representative with us, since it is the spirit of the Godhead. Jesus' divinity is being debated instead, though....

Reply Quote
Re: Lesson Study #3 - Jesus and the HOLY SPIRIT #73252
04/19/06 09:33 PM
04/19/06 09:33 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
The issue of issues in these last days is God's character. Every issue we study should be in the context of that issue. We should be able to explain all of our views in terms of how it fits into the Great Controversy.

That's something I find lamentably missing in virtually all threads.

One positive thing I'll mention that the minority position has brought up is that Jesus really was God's Son and that God's character is revealed in His giving of God's Son to us. I've stated this in my own words, so it's stated in a way all can agree with. That God so love the world that He gave His Son is essential truth, which everyone gives lip service to, but few dig deeper into the meaning.

While I disagree with the specific implementation of this truth that the minority position offers, I deeply appreciately the emphasis upon this truth. At least I can say that this conversation has led me to think about this truth more deeply and has caused a greater appreiation of it.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Reply Quote
Re: Lesson Study #3 - Jesus and the HOLY SPIRIT #73253
04/19/06 09:39 PM
04/19/06 09:39 PM
Darius  Offline
Dedicated Member
Muncie, IN
Tom, you baffle me in your first paragraph. I thought you were emphasizing the God's character then you ended up with the Great Controversy.

Darius A. Lecointe, J.D., Ph.D.
No weapon formed against me shall prosper.
Reply Quote
Re: Lesson Study #3 - Jesus and the HOLY SPIRIT #73254
04/20/06 02:30 AM
04/20/06 02:30 AM
J
Jeff  Offline
Supporting Member 2007
Mississippi, USA
Is that not the focal point of the GC?

[i]...Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me.</i]
Reply Quote
Re: Lesson Study #3 - Jesus and the HOLY SPIRIT #73255
04/25/06 03:20 AM
04/25/06 03:20 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Rosangela, could you do me a favor please? You have cited some texts from the Spirit of Prophecy where she refers to Christ as "God" and to the Holy Spirit as "God." Could you repost these please. Just the references would be enough.

Thanks very much.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Reply Quote
Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled
CAPTCHA Verification

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/05/24 05:39 AM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 04/30/24 10:34 PM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by dedication. 05/05/24 05:07 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!