HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,619
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 21
kland 9
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
ProdigalOne
ProdigalOne
Alberta, Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
5 registered members (Karen Y, dedication, Nadi, 2 invisible), 3,500 guests, and 16 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Re: Historic SDA? #75199
07/18/06 07:29 PM
07/18/06 07:29 PM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
Bro David,

Quote:

"No, not trying to trap you; just trying to figure out what you're saying. But you do seem a bit defensive for one claiming to stand on solid ground. Anyway...

Glad to hear it, thanks. If I seem defensive, maybe I am. People have not always been straight up in their writing or questioning and have twisted what I have said. Or taken only part of what is said and made it seem as if I have said something totally different than what was said.
Make sense?
I do believe that I am on solid ground.

Just a comment on "procedural" matters before going on. I understand what you said above. I have seen it on all forums, including this one. But this is one of the few forums I have found where people can disagree without becoming adversarial.

In particular, look at some of my exchanges with Tom Ewall (esp. in the nature of Christ thread). We have had disagreements on significant points, and we have also had significant misunderstandings. We ask a lot of questions because we want to better grasp what the other is saying. We may still disagree in the end, but at least we have a clearer picture of what we're disagreeing with.

I'm sure you believe you are on solid ground, as I believe I am. And I also trust that you are ever willing to correct your errors, as I am to correct mine. If we ever come across a point of disagreement, you can expect a lot of questions from me as I try to get a good view of your point. If your ground is more sold than mine, I would like to find out so I can move. If mine is more solid, it is my privilege as a watchman to let you know.

Quote:

When God's people are at ease, and satisfied with their present enlightenment, we may be sure that He will not favor them. It is His will that they should be ever moving forward, to receive the increased and ever-increasing light which is shining for them. {GW 300.2}

By God's grace,
Arnold

There is no excuse for any one in taking the position that there is no more truth to be revealed, and that all our expositions of Scripture are without an error. The fact that certain doctrines have been held as truth for many years by our people, is not a proof that our ideas are infallible. Age will not make error into truth, and truth can afford to be fair. No true doctrine will lose anything by close investigation. RH 12/20/1892
Re: Historic SDA? #75200
07/19/06 01:02 AM
07/19/06 01:02 AM
the1888message  Offline
USA
Bro. Arnold

I will have to agree with your last post to me. It is well written. I on the other hand have some difficulty putting my thoughts plainly in written words, which at times has caused some misunderstanding.
Thank you

Peace and Grace
David

The greatest want of the world is the want of men-- men who will not be bought or sold, men who in their inmost souls are true and honest, men who do not fear to call sin by its right name, men whose conscience is as true to duty as the needle to the pole, men who will stand for the right though the heavens fall.
Re: Historic SDA? #75201
07/20/06 08:24 AM
07/20/06 08:24 AM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
Quote:

Proverbs 8 states that Christ was brought froth from the Father. I did not say it the Bible does.

Based on your understanding of what "brought forth" means, do you believe and teach that there was a time when Jesus did not exist?

By God's grace,
Arnold

There is no excuse for any one in taking the position that there is no more truth to be revealed, and that all our expositions of Scripture are without an error. The fact that certain doctrines have been held as truth for many years by our people, is not a proof that our ideas are infallible. Age will not make error into truth, and truth can afford to be fair. No true doctrine will lose anything by close investigation. RH 12/20/1892
Re: Historic SDA? #75202
07/20/06 09:36 AM
07/20/06 09:36 AM
the1888message  Offline
USA
Quote:

Quote:

Proverbs 8 states that Christ was brought froth from the Father. I did not say it the Bible does.

Based on your understanding of what "brought forth" means, do you believe and teach that there was a time when Jesus did not exist?

I have been asked that many times and I have the same answer. The Bible only states what it states. For me to go beyond that I cannot do for then I would be guessing at things that are not writing down for our knowledge.

If I say there was a time that Christ did not exist or that he already existed would be an implication on my part, which I have no right to make and no authority to make.

All I know is that, which is written. Is that Christ was brought forth and brought up and that He is the only Begotten Son of the Living God.

I know that He is not the Almighty God. He is the Son of the Living God and that is as far as I can take it. I know that there is no three gods in one as well for this is the foundation of the roman catholic church and all their dogma’s, for this is their claim.

Peace and Grace
David

The greatest want of the world is the want of men-- men who will not be bought or sold, men who in their inmost souls are true and honest, men who do not fear to call sin by its right name, men whose conscience is as true to duty as the needle to the pole, men who will stand for the right though the heavens fall.
Re: Historic SDA? #75203
07/22/06 12:25 AM
07/22/06 12:25 AM
Larry Kirkpatrick  Offline
Pastor
Veteran Member
Highland, CA, USA
What about the statements in the SOP that say there is a present truth for every generation? That would seem to indicate to me that Heaven still has some unpacking for us to do. Jesus did not even give all His teaching (John 16:12). We also have a statement that says that the prophets prophesied more for us (upon whom the end of the age is coming) than for themsevles (1 Peter 1:12). Texts like these suggest that we need to be attentive to what God is doing. I would not want to be a part of a church that felt it had arrived and that there is nothing further for it to understand since 1915. But then some of the points that are held by some so-called HA are in clear contradiction to EGW, so they must draw the line long before 1915 (death of EGW).
LK

Hebrews 12:14 —I want to see God— —God wants to see me— Revelation 14:12
Re: Historic SDA? #75204
07/22/06 02:29 PM
07/22/06 02:29 PM
the1888message  Offline
USA
So if this trinity doctrine or three gods is new light and it is correct then the “new” light would have to be accepted right?

Well, this “new” light (three gods in one, triune gods or trinity) is not very “new” it has its foundation so very strongly in paganism that it is sickening. Babylon had their triune gods and the child was born on 12/25. The Bible even speaks about the weeping for this child.
Egypt has their triune gods and one of them is also a child.
India has some 3 million gods and one in particular is a triune god that has one body, six arms and three heads.

In every pagan religion they have their triune, trinity, three gods in one. The Catholic Church even claims that this “trinity” doctrine is the foundation of all their dogma.

I find this quote from Sister White very interesting
1858 Great Controversy page 187 “They gave up their earthly treasure and their anxious gaze was directed to heaven, expecting to see their loved Deliverer. A sacred, holy joy beamed upon their countenances, and told of the peace and joy which reigned within. Jesus bade his angels go and strengthen them, for the hour of their trial drew on. I saw that these waiting ones were not yet tried as they must be. They were not free from errors. And I saw the mercy and goodness of God in sending a warning to the people of earth, and repeated messages to bring them up to a point of time, to lead them to a diligent search of themselves, that they might divest themselves of errors which have been handed down from the heathen and papists. Through these messages God has been bringing out his people where he can work for them in greater power, and where they can keep all his commandments.”

Notice that the saints diligently searched themselves and they threw off the errors that had been handed down to them n\and these errors came from where? Paganism and the catholic church.

Is this triune god “new light”? No it is not it is very old light.

Now if you would like to discuss new light (new light does not disagree with the old light) lets talk about it, I am open to new light.

Interesting that you pointed out the date 1915 why is that? I am a Historic Seventh day Adventist, I hold to the teachings of the founders and the Holy Word of God.

I have a question for you; are you implying that since 1915 the church has had “new light”? Could this “new light” be from leaders in the church that have been educated in catholic / Jesuit schools? Such as James Standish of the religious liberty dept., or the Pres of the GC who for at least one year was taking his doctorate of divinity from a catholic school where one of the teachers was the current pope? Or from such men as L. R. Froom who bowed down to the ecumenical men like Barnhouse and others and changed our religion? Arthur S. Maxwell who brought spiritualism into the “the bible story” books? Men who where involved and wrote the book “questions on Doctrine” which does away with the Ten Commandments and nails them to the cross. How about men like Prescott who force the new perversions of the Scriptures in the writings of the publishing houses of the SDA church.

If there is new light then it does not and will not go against the old Light that God and His Son and His Holy Spirit has given.

Do you have and or know of any “new light”? For there will be new light but there is a standard by, which it must be judged.

Peace and Grace

David

Re: Historic SDA? #75205
07/22/06 03:52 PM
07/22/06 03:52 PM
V
vastergotland  Offline
Active Member 2011
3500+ Member
Sweden
Only something which exists can be corrupted, only something which is real can be counterfaithed. That someone else believes in a less perfected view of the trinity or that the trinitarian theme exists in other religions is no proof that the concept is false. If you where to be consistent on that line of arguement and throw out from your chiristian faith everything that also appears in the babylonian religion in a more or less degenerate form, you can just cut out everything before Abraham from genesis.

Galatians 2
21 I do not frustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness come by the law, then Christ is dead in vain.

It is so hazardous to take here a little and there a little. If you put the right little's together you can make the bible teach anything you wish. //Graham Maxwell
Re: Historic SDA? #75206
07/23/06 12:13 AM
07/23/06 12:13 AM
the1888message  Offline
USA
Quote:

Only something which exists can be corrupted, only something which is real can be counterfaithed. That someone else believes in a less perfected view of the trinity or that the trinitarian theme exists in other religions is no proof that the concept is false. If you where to be consistent on that line of arguement and throw out from your chiristian faith everything that also appears in the babylonian religion in a more or less degenerate form, you can just cut out everything before Abraham from genesis.

It seems that you are using “Greek” philosophy or trying to at least. I have read much from Plato and others before my conversion. Your first line is much like how they write. Remember we are warned against such philosophizing by Sister White.
Anyway, instead of putting words in a structure that may well confuse the issue please put it plainly.

Sister White wrote, “The enemy of souls has sought to bring in the supposition that a great reformation was to take place among Seventh-day Adventists, and that this reformation would consist in giving up the doctrines which stand as the pillars of our faith, and engaging in a process of reorganization. Were this reformation to take place, what would result? The principles of truth that God in His wisdom has given to the remnant church, would be discarded. Our religion would be changed. The fundamental principles that have sustained the work for the last fifty years would be accounted as error. A new organization would be established. Books of a new order would be written. A system of intellectual philosophy would be introduced. The founders of this system would go into the cities, and do a wonderful work. The Sabbath of course, would be lightly regarded, as also the God who created it. Nothing would be allowed to stand in the way of the new movement. The leaders would teach that virtue is better than vice, but God being removed, they would place their dependence on human power, which, without God, is worthless. Their foundation would be built on the sand, and storm and tempest would sweep away the structure.
Who has authority to begin such a movement? We have our Bibles. We have our experience, attested to by the miraculous working of the Holy Spirit. We have a truth that admits of no compromise. Shall we not repudiate everything that is not in harmony with this truth?”
The “fundamental principles” are now counted as error by the church today. These principles did not teach a three in one god as is taught today.
Many today use “A system of intellectual philosophy” in their writings and preaching.
“We have our Bibles” What bible did they have and use to come up with what the Holy Spirit gave them? Not these new perversions.
Has the church “We have a truth that admits of no compromise.” They have been working with the catholic church for years, one place is in the hospitals. Working hand in hand with the WCC is another. How about sending our pastors to the Whore of Babylon’s schools? How about SDA ministers joining non-SDA ministerial associations? I could go on as I am sure you know.
This pagan / papal doctrine, which the SDA church did not hold to all those years back, which came into this church by worldly men would fall under this commission from God to Sister White to all believers “Shall we not repudiate everything that is not in harmony with this truth?”
How say you, “But to us there is but one God, the Father, of whom are all things, and we in him; and one Lord Jesus Christ, by whom are all things, and we by him.”
Is there one God or three?

Peace and Grace
David
This triune god is no more than god splitting himself into three parts. The triune god comes from non other than the mystical, occultist and spiritualistic writings from many non-Biblical sources and belief systems.

--"In the heart of the Trinity [or One God] the Creator laughs and gives birth to the child. The child laughs back at the Creator and together they give birth to the Spirit." Meister Eckhart quoted in The Coming of the Cosmic Christ, p 218-19, by Matthew Fox.

--"The Holy Spirit proceeds from the Godhead--the infinite source of all. It is the Breath of Atman,--the infinite power of God. It is not separate from, but operative through the Christ--the Higher Self." Dictionary of All Scriptures and Myths, by G.A. Gaskell, p 366 (this dictionary uses the philosophic sacredly held writings of all religions such as Zoroaster, Philo, Swedenborg, Buddah, Hermes, the Qabbalah, etc., in order to derive the definitions--hence the definitions given are mystical and spiritualistic).

"I [Father of All Things] order you [Son of Light] to go forth, to become as a guide to those who wander in darkness, that all men within whom dwells the spirit of My Mind (The Universal Mind) may be saved by My Mind in you, which shall call forth My Mind in them....for I am the Mind of the Mysteries...'" The Secret Teachings of All Ages, p XL, by Manly P. Hall--33rd Degree Mason (Hall is quoting Hermes or Cush who was the interpreter of the Mysteries, or basically the founder of spiritualistic Babylonian religion. Cush was also the father of Nimrod, who founded Babylon and then based its Mystery religion upon the teachings of his father).

"The terms Father, Son, and Spirit are but symbols which stand for three manifestations of God...God goes forth from Himself in the eternal Son, returning to Himself in the Eternal Spirit." Dictionary of All Scriptures and Myths, by G.A. Gaskell, p 770 (this dictionary uses the philosophic sacredly held writings of all religions such as Zoroaster, Philo, Swedenborg, Buddha, Hermes, the Qabbalah, etc., in order to derive its definitions--hence the definitions given are mystical, occultic and spiritualistic in nature).

Re: Historic SDA? #75207
07/23/06 12:40 AM
07/23/06 12:40 AM
Larry Kirkpatrick  Offline
Pastor
Veteran Member
Highland, CA, USA
I am not here to defend the "Trinity" doctrine. I do believe, after extensive study of the biblical materials that there are three persons in one Godhead: Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. The biblical evidence is abundant and conclusive, even coercive. If you want to throw out the New Testament it will be much harder to prove.

Do you want to do that?

And then you will have to get rid of the testimony of the writings of Ellen G. White. Perhaps you are not one who has a significant knowledge of the life and ministry of Mrs. White. I mentioned that date because Mrs. White died in 1915.

It is testimony to your bias that you point to all negative things and no positive things from about that time to the present. Can you not think of any positive developments since the time you have (as Arnold has pointed out) arbitrarily chosen as the "Historic Adventist" period?

I have spoken and written against many of the things you have mentioned. I believe there is much light in certain points highlighted by M. L. Andreasen which he published in 1937. But I neither identified or labeled anything as "new light"--I simply pointed to the testimony of inspired writings that affirms that every generation is to be tested and there is to be a development of truth in that generation.

To be honest, few things are as heart-sickening to me as self-righteous critics marching around in their ignorance and painting the whole church darkly with their brushes. The only way we can move away from the three persons in one Godhead teaching would be to go into opposition of the writings of Ellen G. White, which the church (since 1980 I might add) insists are to be upheld as a "continuing and authoritative source" of truth.

You know not what road you are on or are endeavoring to lead others on. You would lead them away from God's light in the SOP and out of His church. LK

Re: Historic SDA? #75208
07/23/06 02:15 AM
07/23/06 02:15 AM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
Quote:

If I say there was a time that Christ did not exist or that he already existed would be an implication on my part, which I have no right to make and no authority to make.

Bro David,

Since you are not able to say definitely whether or not there was a time when Christ did not exist, I suppose this is not a "deal breaker" to Historic Adventists. Let me offer some inspired commentary on this point:

Quote:

From the days of eternity the Lord Jesus Christ was one with the Father... {DA 19.1}

Christ was God essentially, and in the highest sense... The Lord Jesus Christ, the divine Son of God, existed from eternity, a distinct person, yet one with the Father. {RH, April 5, 1906 par. 6, 7}

Immediately following the RH statement, she quoted Proverbs 8:22-27. That fact should lead us to conclude that her understanding of "brought forth" did not prevent her from also believing that Christ "existed from eternity."

This text leads me to a series of questions:

1. Do HA's in general, and you in particular, believe that "Christ was God ... in the highest sense" while being a distinct person from the Father?

2. Assuming you believe #1, does that lead you to believe in a "diune" God - one God in two distinct Persons?

3. Which Person is the one speaking in Genesis 35:11? ("And God said unto him, I am God Almighty...")

4. Do you hold to the same view of the Trinity as E. J. Waggoner?

By God's grace,
Arnold

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/05/24 05:39 AM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 04/30/24 10:34 PM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by dedication. 05/05/24 05:07 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!