HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,630
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 24
kland 6
Daryl 2
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
Daryl
Daryl
Nova Scotia, Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
3 registered members (TheophilusOne, Karen Y, 1 invisible), 3,476 guests, and 15 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: What is the full meaning of communion? #7965
07/03/01 07:44 PM
07/03/01 07:44 PM
A
Andrew Marttinen  Offline
Pastor
Dedicated Member
Carleton Place, Ontario, Canad...
I have a sermon called "Point of Contact" that I delivered two weeks ago for communion. It's short enough--here it is:

Pastor, I’ve dialed God’s number, but no-one seems to be answering. Will I find
anything in church to help me?

Pastor, I’ve been in this church for 20 years and don’t feel saved. Is there any hope for
me?

Pastor, I think I’m lost but I’m just coming to church for the sake of the kids–maybe
they will find salvation here. Will they?

Church members have asked these questions and similar ones of me throughout my 12
years as a pastor. Usually I turn to 1 John 5:11-12 for the answer. The apostle John was
retirement age. He viewed all kinds of different movements, sects and religions trying
to press their ideas on the Christian Church. He responded with a verse that summarizes
Christianity: “And this is the testimony: that God has given us eternal life, and this life
is in His Son. He who has the Son has life; he who does not have the Son of God does
not have life.” All of the competing religions and philosophies of the time were based
on knowledge, sacrifice, or a proper formula of words. Christianity stood alone in a
personal relationship with its God as its measure of Salvation. What John is saying is
that if you have that relationship with Christ , it’s life, heaven, Joy, peace etc. and
eternal life. If you don’t have it, eternal death. Simple.
All of this leads to one big question: “How do I know that I’m in a relationship with
Christ?”
The answer, again, is simple. Just like any other relationship, for one to have with
Christ is based on points of contact. In human relationships, point of contacts can be
letters, phone calls displays of affection. All of these are not love, but they show that
there is a relationship there. A young man and woman who are writing to each other
can, in a discouraging moment, lay out all letters they’ve sent in a huge pile. Then they
both can say, “Yes, something’s up. I’m not just imagining it all.” What then, are some
of the points of contact we have with Christ?
Any child who has been to church can tell you: Bible Study, prayer, fellowship with
other believers...These don’t save us, but the indicate that yes, there’s a relationship
there.
But the church through the ages has used a certain, specific, God-ordained point of
contact that should never be neglected in a Christian. That is the living, healing power
of the communion. “The Lord Jesus...( Read 1 Corinthians 11:23-26).
In the Lord’s supper, the bread becomes part of our bodies. The juice gets absorbed into
our bloodstream. The napkins on the communion table even serve a purpose. In NT
times, Romans wouldn’t wipe away the excess, they would take home the excess–to
sustain themselves and their own households for days to come.
Right after Jesus’ death Cleopas and the other disciple felt they had lost contact with
Jesus forever. The Stranger that started walking with them started giving them a study
of references in the Hebrew Scriptures to Christ. Finally when they entered a house and
this Stranger broke bread, they understood Who they were with. While walking on the
road they enjoyed His fellowship–they were still discouraged–but their hearts “burned
within them.” When He gave a Bible Study, they listened intently, but it didn’t reveal to
them who their companion was. It was only when the bread was broken in His
presence, that everything came together. Here, Jesus Christ, had entered their house and
they shared a meal together.
John, who writes about “having the Son” tells us in Rev. 3 “Behold, I stand at the door
and knock...we will share a meal together as friends.” Jesus wants into our church, into
our hearts, into our lives. He wants us to take Him home. Like the two going to
Emmaus, we’ve had bible study, we’ve had the fellowship of Christ in our lives–let us
now commune with Him...

[This message has been edited by Andrew Marttinen (edited July 03, 2001).]

Re: What is the full meaning of communion? #7966
07/03/01 07:51 PM
07/03/01 07:51 PM
A
Andrew Marttinen  Offline
Pastor
Dedicated Member
Carleton Place, Ontario, Canad...
I'm sorry about how those words were set up in my last post. I would have liked to make it easier to read. It seemed letters that I tried to use to edit it turned up confused and twisted. There must be a problem with the program that I'm using because it "acts up" quite a bit. I hope the meaning of my post got through, though.

------------------
You have done many good things for me, Lord, just as you promised. I believe in your commands; now teach me good judgment and knowledge. Psalm 119:65-66 NLT

Re: What is the full meaning of communion? #7967
07/12/01 03:10 AM
07/12/01 03:10 AM
Sarah Moss  Offline OP
Dedicated Member
Alberta, Canada
When Jesus said "I am the bread of life" what did He mean? What does it mean for me today? How can I eat of the bread of Jesus?

Did you know that the Jews/Rabbis understood that unleavened bread represented the Word of God? Do we partake often enough of the bread of life? Is once a quarter too much, not enough or just right for Communion service?

What does the bread and wine in the Communion service symbolize?

------------------
Sarah Moss
*Prayer Changes Things!*

Re: What is the full meaning of communion? #7968
07/11/01 06:04 PM
07/11/01 06:04 PM
F
frenchmon  Offline
Posting New Member
???
Hi Sarah...sorry you and I don't see eye to eye on the issue of closed communion. I think you mis-understood my point...It does not matter, its not an issue to divide over, its a non essentual...

As for "the bread of life" in context of John Chapter 6...

Jesus said He was the bread of life that came down from heaven...Just as the Manna in the desert fed the people...He also feeds us...

Jesus is the true bread that sustains those who believe in Him...not seeking Him for the wonderful miracles He can do, but because we believe on His name...that He died to redeem us from darkness, that the riches of His mercy might be poured out on us who were once lost and alienated from the Father, but now are brought close to the Father through the riches of Christ blood...His blood was shed for us.

We are now satisfied in God for who and what Jesus is for us...We by faith, eat and drink the flesh and blood of Jesus...abiding in the truth of the vacarious substition...and doing the things He has commanded us to do.

We are so satisfied in Him, knowing He is satisfied with us as He bids us to continue and to go on to perfection...through His blood.

As we partake of communion, we understand and contemplate these truths, and we seek to be forgiven of all unrighteousness of life and character.

We understand these emblems of His blood and body to be as reminders of His death which was for us...His blood which was shed for us and His body which was broken for us till He come again...for us...

I myself think the Adventist Church should partake of the holy service once a month--frenchmon

Re: What is the full meaning of communion? #7969
07/13/01 03:56 AM
07/13/01 03:56 AM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
I'm glad we're back on the meaning of Communion. I'd like to ask a question - Is it possible to experience the "meaning" of Communion (the life and death of Jesus) without the little cracker and small amount of juice?

I hope so because I'd like to see the church practice Communion with the cracker and juice less often (or maybe on Friday evening instead). The reason I like that idea is because too many times we have had visitors on Communion Sabbath and more often than not they felt like they got ripped off with such a short sermon. Yes, there are those visitors who were blessed too, but I think they would have been blessed even without the foot washing and the cracker and juice.

Does any get my point?

Re: What is the full meaning of communion? #7970
07/13/01 01:09 PM
07/13/01 01:09 PM
Daryl  Offline

Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
We are having communion on July 21st.

When we announce communion a week or two earlier, when that particular communion Sabbath arrives, there are either less people there or people who don't participate or at leaast not in the footwashing part.

Why is that?

Daryl

Re: What is the full meaning of communion? #7971
07/14/01 07:09 PM
07/14/01 07:09 PM
F
frenchmon  Offline
Posting New Member
???
Hi Brother Daryl

It may be that those who don't show up understand the importance of this sacrament...they feel as if they are not ready to partake in this service.

Some who don't take foot-washing may not want people to see their feet..---frenchmon

Re: What is the full meaning of communion? #7972
07/16/01 03:59 AM
07/16/01 03:59 AM
L
lisa  Offline
gwinn mich U.S.A.
I'm certain that these ceramonies are not supposed to be broken up. take the sacrafices in the old testament, when the priests didn't do the ceramony appropriatly God frowned on that and some died. if we start to do that then as adventists we can't call ourselfs his chosen people if we don't fallow the truth.

Re: What is the full meaning of communion? #7973
07/16/01 02:08 AM
07/16/01 02:08 AM
Daryl  Offline

Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
Those who consistently don't show up for the Communion Service but who are otherwise active in the church serving as a deacon or whatever other function, what should be our reaction to them?

Daryl

Re: What is the full meaning of communion? #7974
07/16/01 07:49 PM
07/16/01 07:49 PM
F
frenchmon  Offline
Posting New Member
???
"Those who consistently don't show up for the Communion Service but who are otherwise active in the church serving as a deacon or whatever other function, what should be our reaction to them?"

I think we should strip them of their duties and make them be rebaptised!!!! No just kidding...

But I do think it is up to the pastor of the church to meet with those who do such and find out if things are ok...frenchmon

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 05/06/24 12:18 PM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/05/24 05:39 AM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by dedication. 05/06/24 02:37 PM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:33 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:29 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:27 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by kland. 05/06/24 10:32 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!