HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,641
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 15
kland 6
Daryl 2
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
Rick H
Rick H
Florida, USA
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
4 registered members (Karen Y, daylily, dedication, Kevin H), 3,282 guests, and 9 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
The Day of Atonement--Wonderful News #8356
10/09/01 09:26 PM
10/09/01 09:26 PM
J
Jean Miller  Offline OP
USA
THE DAY OF ATONEMENT—WONDERFUL NEWS

Today is the annual Day of Atonement. As I reflect on this day and what it means, I am remembering that, sadly, many in our church no longer believe in the sanctuary message. And even among those who do believe the sanctuary message, the majority do not understand what the main point of the sanctuary is. The main point of the sanctuary is absolutely wonderful news for our salvation! This is why the devil is trying so hard to hide this wonderful truth.

The main point of the sanctuary is not difficult at all. It is this: Contrary to what most believe, we need to look forward to our personal Day of Judgement (Day of Atonement) with great joy, because this is the day that God removes all sin from us! What wonderful news!

It's very simple. The OT tells us that on the Day of Atonement the sins were removed from the sanctuary, thus cleansing the sanctuary. This was simply an object lesson to teach us what God was going to do for us when our personal Day of Atonement comes up. He is going to cleanse us from all sin. The NT tells us that we are the temple of God. (1 Cor. 3:16). The OT sanctuary was simply an object lesson to teach us how God saves us. It also teaches us what our part is. So, if the sanctuary teaches us how God saves us, then the Day of Atonement, when the sanctuary is cleansed, is a model showing that when our name comes up in the judgement, we will be cleansed of all sin.

Thus, the Day of Judgement is a day to be looked forward to-not a day to be dreaded! Look up the word "judgement" in Strong's Concordance and then look up the texts that contain this word. Over and over the Bible writers speak of the judgement in a positive light. Here's an example: "Zion shall be redeemed with judgement." Isaiah 1:27. "And it shall come to pass, that he that is left in Zion, and he that remaineth in Jerusalem, shall be called holy, even every one that is written among the living in Jerusalem: When the Lord shall have washed away the filth of the daughters of Zion, and shall have purged (cleansed) the blood of Jerusalem from the midst thereof by the spirit of JUDGEMENT, and by the spirit of burning." Isaiah 4:3-4.

Notice that God cleanses His people by the judgement! He removes all our sins from us forever at that time. This is also the message found in Zechariah in the story about Joshua and the Angel. Here it says, "Behold, I have caused thine iniquity to pass from thee and I will clothe thee with change of raiment." Zechariah 3:4. Later on in the same chapter God says,"I will remove the iniquity of that land in one day." (Vs 9) What day is this? The Day of Atonement!

Yes, God has already forgiven us of these sins. He did that earlier when we confessed them. However, if you have a good memory, you can probably remember a lot of your past sins that you have asked forgiveness for. As a child I was taught that when we asked our sins to be forgiven is when God threw them into the depths of the sea and He remembers them no more. My childish reasoning went like this, and as an adult I discovered that I was correct! I thought, "Although I've asked God to forgive me of this sin, I can still remember it. If God can read my mind, then how can He forget it, because every time He reads my mind He will see the memory of this sin stored in my brain. So, how can He possibly have thrown it into the sea to remember it no more!" I was right. On the Day of Atonement is when God wipes out all records of our sins--both in our minds and in the records in heaven. And, He only wipes out the records that have been forgiven and are covered with the blood of Jesus. Hebrews 10:14 tells us that God perfects those who are being sanctified (growing in their relationship with God and in their knowledge of Him, continually asking their sins to be forgiven).

The Bible also teaches this. "For the worshipers, once purged (cleansed on the DAy of Atonement) would have no more consciousness (knowledge according to Strong's) of sins." Hebrews 10:2. Thus this text can read, "For the worshipers once cleansed of all their sins will have no more knowledge of sins."

Our early pioneers also understood this. Here's a quote from the Review, Sept. 30, 1902 by E.J. Wagoner. "We need to be on our guard against the idea that the blotting (cleansing) out of sin is merely as the passing of a sponge over a slate, or an entry in a ledge to balance the account. This is not the blotting out of sin. An ignorant man who saw a thermometer for the first time thought to lessen the heat by breaking it. But how much efffect did this have upon the weather? Just as much as the wiping out of the record of his sin has upon the sinner. The tearing of a leaf out of a book, or even the burning of the book containing the record, does not blot out the sin. The sin is not blotted out by blotting out the account of it, any more than throwing my Bible into the fire abolishes the Word of God. There was a time when all the Bibles that could be found were destroyed; but the Word of God--the truth--remained the same, because truth is God Himself; it is His life...The blotting out of sin is the erasing of it from the nature, the being, of man. The blood of Jesus Christ cleanses form all sin. Our bodies are but the channel, the border, the sand upon the shore, of the river of life...THE ERASING OF SIN IS THE BLOTTING OF IT FROM OUR NATURES, SO THAT WE SHALL KNOW IT NO MORE. 'The worshipers once purged'--actually purged by the blood of Christ--have 'no more conscience of sin,' because the way of sin is gone from them. Their iniquity may be sought for, but it will not be found. It is forever gone from them,--it is foreign to their NEW NATURES, and even though they may be able to recall the fact that they have committed certain sins, they have forgotten the sin itself--they do not think of doing it any more. This is the work of Christ in the true sanctuary, which the Lord pitched, and not man--the sanctuary not made with hands, but brought into existence by the thought of God."

Ellen White also says the same in Great Controversy p. 620. "So, in the time of trouble, if the people of God had unconfessed sins to appear before them while tortured with fear and anguish, they would be overwhelmed; despair would cut off their faith, and they could not have confidence to plead with God for deliverance. But while they have a deep sense of their unworthiness, they have no concealed wrongs to reveal. THEIR SINS HAVE GONE BEFOREHAND TO JUDGMENT AND HAVE BEEN BLOTTED OUT, AND THEY CANNOT BRING THEM TO REMEMBRANCE."

What wonderful news! This is how God's people stand through the time of the 7 Last Plagues without a mediator (contrary to the title of the book put out by Venden). They no longer need a mediator because they have had all their sins removed from their brains (their hard drive has been reprogrammed) and they have been given the new nature. With the new nature, it is easier to do good than to do evil (opposite of what we now experience in our evil nature) and with that nature do you think God's people will sin? Absolutely not. They have just been through a lifetime of seeing the terrible effects of sin and sin will no longer tempt them.

What I have written is merely a small portion of the proof that I can give for this wonderful news. My husband and I have written a 26-page paper on this subject with a lot more proof, and there is yet more than we can add to this paper.

To sum it all up: The Day of Judgement (Day of Atonement) is wonderful news--not bad news--because on this day God removes our sins from us and gives us our new nature. Jump up and down for joy! Our salvation draws near!

Re: The Day of Atonement--Wonderful News #8357
10/09/01 10:21 PM
10/09/01 10:21 PM
C
Charity  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2020

4500+ Member
USA
I'm thinking of responding to your post, but there are some things I'm not clear on. When does our personal day of atonement take place? On one of the annual Days, or at any time? We probably would agree that
sanctification is a life long work. How does the Day of Atonement fit in with your view of sanctification. Has your day of atonement come? Will you know when it does? How? Will you be aware that your
conscience is clean? Did you notice in your quote from Waggoner that he says we may still be aware of past sins but feel no guilt regarding them and have no inclination to repeat them?

"Even though they may be able to recall the fact that they have committed certain sins, they have forgotten the sin itself--they do not think of doing it any more."

I have to say that you've drawn some important material to our attention.

Re: The Day of Atonement--Wonderful News #8358
10/10/01 03:55 AM
10/10/01 03:55 AM
J
Jean Miller  Offline OP
USA
Mark, since the Day of Atonement is Judgment Day, then our personal Day of Atonement takes place when our name comes up in the heavenly judgment.

I think I can prove that the judgment of the living begins shortly after the time of trouble begins. I don't have time this evening, but will do so tomorrow if there is any interest.

About Waggoner's statement, I think that he means that we may be able to remember a certain class of sins that we have committed, but not the actual sin itself. For instance, we may be able to remember that we have lied, but not the actual lie itself. Ellen White supports this also in the Great Controversy quote in my post about the fact that after God has blotted out our sins (which occurs when we are judged) then we cannot remember our sins. In other words, God has reprogrammed our hard drive (our brains) and cleaned out all the viruses (sins)! I am a nurse and in my studies discovered that habits literally form a groove in the brain and the more we practice the habit the deeper the groove. I believe that even though we may overcome that particular sin, the groove remains. (In fact, Ellen White says something similar to this. If you like I can dig that quote up as well.) As long as that groove remains, we have to fight with God's help not to continue in that sin. But, when our hard drive is reprogrammed I believe that God literally removes those sinful grooves and at the same time He implants the grooves of His Holy Law into our brains. This is the meaning of the text where He says, "I will write My laws in your heart."

About how the Day of Atonement message fits in with sanctification here it is. This is where the study of the sanctuary makes the gospel so simple, plain, and beautiful.

When one walked into the sanctuary, the first thing they saw was the big altar where the lambs were sacrificed. This alter represents the cross, since that is where Jesus, the Lamb of God, died. Here is where justification takes place. When we bring all our sins to the foot of the cross and ask for forgiveness (just like ancient Israel did when they slew the lamb) then we have just participated in justification. This is where we receive righteousness on the credit card principle. We aren't actually righteous, but the blood of Jesus covers our sins and His life covers ours, so that when Jesus looks at us all He sees is His own perfect life. Should our lives be snuffed out at this point, we are saved. In fact, the thief on the cross was saved through justification as he didn't have time to participate in sanctification.

The next article of furniture one saw was the laver where the priests washed before entering the sanctuary. This represents baptism. After we confess our sins and decide to become Christians, we are baptized.

The next articles of furniture are in the Holy Place--the 12 loaves of bread on the table, the alter of incense, and the candlestick. The bread represents Jesus as the Bread of Life. It also represents the Bible as the Word of Jesus. Interestingly, someone pointed out once that there were 2 piles of 6 loaves of bread each on this table, representing 66--which is the number of books in the Bible. The alter of incense represents the prayers of God's people and the incense represents the Holy Spirit purifying those prayers so they can reach the throne of God. The candlestick represents Jesus as the Light of the World and the oil in the candlestick represents the Holy Spirit. This whole room represents sanctification. We grow in our Christian walk through studying the Bible, through prayer, and through a relationship with Jesus by the power of the Holy Spirit.

The next room is the Most Holy Place which contained the Ark of the Covenant holding the Law of God. This Ark represents the throne of God. This room was only entered on the Day of Atonement, or Judgment Day, when the priest cleaned the blood off the alter in the couryard and brought it in to the Most Holy Place, thus cleansing the sanctuary of all sin. This is the phase that I spoke of in my above post. Here's another interesting thought. I believe that anything in the Most Holy Place has a vital role in the Judgment. For instance, this room contained the Law of God which is the standard by which we are judged.

However, many people disregard the Mosaic Law which was placed in the side of the Ark. They say that by putting it there it is not so important and in fact was done away with. Well, Ellen White disagrees with this. Here's what she says. "Christ gave to Moses religious precepts which were to govern everyday life. These statutes were explicitly given to guard the ten commandments. THEY WERE NOT SHADOWY TYPES TO PASS AWAY WITH THE DEATH OF CHRIST. They were to be binding upon men in every age as long as time should last. These commands were enforced by the power of the moral law, and they clearly and definitely explained that law." ST April 15, 1875.

Here's another quote of Ellen White's that says that same thing. "That the obligations of the Decalogue might be more fully understood and enforced, additional precepts were given, illustrating and applying the principles of the Ten Commandments. These laws were called judgments, both because they were framed in infinite wisdom and equity and because the magistrates were to give judgment according to them. Unlike the Ten Commandments, they were delivered privately to Moses, who was to communicate them to the people." PP p. 310.

We have attended a Messianic Jewish congregation at times, and they told us the very same thing. They said that the Ten Commandments are like the chapter headings in a book, and the Mosaic Law is the detail of each chapter. Without the Mosaic Law, we are left guessing as to what God means by each commandment. For instance, in the Mosaic Law it says that if we dig a pit and our neighbor's cow falls into it and dies, then we are to pay our neighbor for this cow. This comes under the Ten Commandment of "Thou shalt not steal." Without this Mosaic Law, one could argue that they did not directly steal this cow from his neighbor and therefore did not have to pay his neighbor. But, with this Mosaic Law, one sees that anything that we do that causes our neighbor loss is considered stealing in God's eyes. Do you begin to understand the importance of the Mosaic Law?

Now, here's a quote showing a little more the importance of the Mosaic Law in our day. The closing words of Malachi are a prophecy regarding the work that should be done preparatory to the first and the second advent of Christ. This prophecy is introduced with the admonition, "Remember ye the law of Moses my servant, which I commanded unto him in Horeb for all Israel, with the statutes and judgments. {SW, March 21, 1905 par. 1} This quote is from Malachi 4. Read all of Malachi 4 and see that this whole chapter is dealing with end-time events and then in the middle of this chapter is this interesting statement to remember the Mosaic Law. Here God and Ellen White are saying that the last generation should especially remember the Mosaic Law!

Now, lest anyone accuse me of heresy, let me state that yes, some things were done away with at the cross from this Mosaic Law. However, we should let the Bible itself tell us what was done away with. The only place in the whole Bible that specifically says what was done away with at the cross is Daniel 9:27 where it says that the Messiah would end the sacrifices and oblations (meaning offerings--like the grain and wine offerings that went along with the sacrificial system). I did a study on the word "ceremonial" on the Ellen White CD and over and over she defines "ceremonial" as being the "sacrificial system" and many times she then goes on to quote DAniel 9:27.

We who are going to face the Judgment of the Living need to especially understand the Mosaic Law and its great importance to us. It simply defines the Ten Commandments further that we not err! If we are going to have our sins blotted out and stand through the time of trouble without an intercessor, we need every advantage we can get! I believe this is why the Mosaic Law is in the Most Holy Place. Remember, anything in the Most Holy Place is of special importance for the Day of Atonement--the Day of Judgement. (This has been a little sidetrack so one will understand the Day of Atonement more fully.)

Since God says in the NT that we are the temple (sanctuary) of God, then the whole sanctuary is simply a representation of how God saves us, what His part is, and what our part is. So simple and so beautiful! Thus, when the sanctuary is cleansed on the Day of Atonement this means that on our Judgment Day God will cleanse us of all sin and remove it forever from us. This is purification. Look up the word "purify" in the Ellen White CD and you will see that she speaks a lot of God's Church (His true people wherever they are) being purified during the time of the last generation. She also says that only when God's people "fully reflect" the character of Jesus will He come. Well, I look around, and I don't see anyone who is perfect. I believe that under sanctification we can reach the point where we no longer willfully sin, but sin is sin, and we can still unknowlingly commit sin, thus preventing us from being perfect. So, God is going to have to do something special for the last generation in order to enable them to stand without an intercessor during the time of trouble because ANY SIN committed during this time, even if it is done unknowingly, will not have an intercessor so this sin can be forgiven, thus preventing this person from being saved.

Here's some of Ellen White quotes to this effect. "Those only who through faith in Christ OBEY ALL of God's commandments will reach the condition of sinlessness in which Adam lived before his transgression." 6BC 1118. "Satan could find nothing in the Son of God that would enable him to gain the victory. He had kept His Father's commandments, and there was no sin in Him that Satan could use to his advantage. THIS IS THE CONDITION IN WHICH THOSE MUST BE FOUND WHO SHALL STAND IN THE TIME OF TROUBLE. GC p. 623. "None who have had the light of truth will enter theh city of God as commandment breakers. His law lies at the foundation of His government in earth and in heaven. If they have knowingly trampled upon and despised His law on the earth, they will not be taken to heaven to do the same work there; THERE IS NO CHANGE OF CHARACTER WHEN CHRIST COMES." RH, August 25, 1885. "The mass of people think that if a person is prepared to die, he is prepared for the coming of the Lord. But they do not consider the difference between dying and standing alive to meet the Lord at His appearing. It is one thing to die in the Lord, to yield our spirits to Him while He is pleading for us before the Father's throne, and quite a different thing to stand in the time of trouble after Jesus has ceased to plead in man's behalf, after His pristhood is closed, and He is preparing to come to redeem His own, and take vengeance on His foes. They who realize these things will bless heaven that MEANS HAVE BEEN DEVISED IN THE MERCY OF GOD FOR THE PERFECTION OF THE SAINTS." Life Sketches of James and Ellen White, 1888 edition, p. 431. (This quote is one that got me to thinking that there is something different that happens for the last generation that does not happen for previous generations.)

What means has been devised for our perfection? Here it is. "As we seek God for the Holy Spirit, it will work in us meekness, humbless of mind, a conscious dependence upon God for the PERFECTING LATTER RAIN." RH March 2, 1897.

Let's recap everything so far. For our salvation there is justification, sanctification, purification, and then the last--glorification. Glorification is simply when our bodies are changed and we are given immortality. When we are perfected, our MINDS are changed, but when we are given immortality our BODIES are changed. When does this happen? At the second coming. See 1 Corinthians 15:51-55.

Justification happens in a moment--the moment we confess our sins. Sanctification is the work of a lifetime. Purification happens in a day--our DAY of Atonement. See Zechariah 4:9. And, lastly, glorification happens in a moment.

I will submit to you that any gospel that eliminates out any of the above steps is a gospel that presents a false balance. For instance, many in our church now preach justification only to the exclusion of sanctification. This produces cheap grace. Then, there is another smaller group who preach mostly sanctification--to the exclusion of justification. This produces legalism. But it is only when we combine all 4 steps that we see the perfect balance. Both groups hate this message. Why? Because the cheap grace group see that they will have to do more than they thought to enter heaven--which is sanctification. The legalist group see that they cannot "work" their way to heaven because sanctification alone will never get them to perfection. But, when all four are combined what beauty and what harmony we see! Also, when I finally understood this message, my fear for the time of trouble was removed. My biggest fear was that I would not make it through the time when Jesus is no longer interceding without sinning. Why? Because I could scarcely make it through a day without sinning now. Even if one produces "correct" outward behavior, if their motives were thoroughly analyzed, somewhere in the motives is an element of selfishness. That is because "all our righteousness is as filthy rags."

For me, this message has given me peace and a deeper love for my Savior whom I know is in heaven working at this moment for me in the sanctuary, and when my Day of Atonement comes up, He will perfect me if I have been participating in justification and sanctification (see Hebrews 10:14. Hallelujah!

I challenge all of you to thoroughly study this issue out. If you like, I can give you a many more quotes to prove the above.

Re: The Day of Atonement--Wonderful News #8359
10/16/01 04:36 AM
10/16/01 04:36 AM
M
mouse  Offline
Dedicated Member
USA
Jean,

I really enjoy reading your posts! Especially the ones above.

You said:
I think I can prove that the judgment of the living begins shortly after the time of trouble begins.

Are you talking here about the little time of trouble that comes before probation closes??

I would enjoy very much reading your proof.

Re: The Day of Atonement--Wonderful News #8360
10/18/01 12:55 AM
10/18/01 12:55 AM
C
Charity  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2020

4500+ Member
USA
Jean, you've covered a lot of ground here, and I'll try and get to some of it later, but for now, I want to say thank you for the following quote:

"Christ gave to Moses religious precepts which were to govern everyday life. These statutes were explicitly given to guard the ten commandments. THEY WERE NOT SHADOWY TYPES TO PASS AWAY WITH THE DEATH OF CHRIST. They were to be binding upon men in every age as long as time should last. These commands were enforced by the power of the moral law, and they clearly and definitely explained that law." ST April 15, 1875.

In the late 80's when I was studying law at Queen's University, I began to make it a habit to compare Canadian statute and common law with Mosaic law, and I can testify that the Law of Moses is wonderful indeed. It truly is framed, as Sister White has said, in infinite wisdom.

Re: The Day of Atonement--Wonderful News #8361
10/18/01 04:31 PM
10/18/01 04:31 PM
J
Jean Miller  Offline OP
USA
Karen, ok, I'll do it this weekend when I have more time!

Re: The Day of Atonement--Wonderful News #8362
10/19/01 09:57 AM
10/19/01 09:57 AM
C
Charity  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2020

4500+ Member
USA
Jean, regarding the Day of Atonement and perfection, I think you’re right that the outpouring of the Holy Spirit will ripen or perfect the grain for harvest. But I think that the duration of the latter rain will be several months. Several months are needed to ripen and perfect the grain.

You say perfection takes place in a day. But character takes time to mold because we need time to make decisions, to accept or reject the pleadings of the Spirit, to be settled into the truth. So the perfecting that occurs under the influence of the latter rain will take some time.

Having said that though, I can’t help wonder if there may be something more to what you’ve said regarding perfection. A conscious awareness of having your sins blotted out would certainly be a big boost to your confidence to speak for God wouldn’t it. If God tests us like he did Christ in the wilderness or Abraham on Mount Moriah and we prove true, it would be a great confidence builder to know that our victory of faith is credited to us for righteousness. Revelation 12 speaks of a victory of this kind - where the saints overcome the dragon by the blood of the lamb and the word of their testimony for the love not their live even unto death. This victory results in the most wonderful downfall of Satan who is evicted from heaven. We have always viewed this as being in the past, but Revelation 12, like Revelation 13 seems to have a future application as well. Revelation 12 speaks of a life and death test that will be brought on the church at the beginning of the little time of trouble. The church is sifted and as a result, Satan, the accuser is no longer allowed to continue in this mode with this group.

I think you’re right that the purpose of the Judgment is to vindicate the saints, but I think that it will not be primarily a time of rejoicing . If you look at the vision The Shaking in Early Writings, I think we have a picture of the process that occurs on the Day of Atonement on an individual and corporate level. It is a severe test. Malachi uses the symbol of Levi being refined/purified in the fires of affliction. This is in harmony with the spirit that was to accompany the ancient Day of Atonement where the Jews were commanded to afflict themselves.

Your post was dated October 9, 2001, and you say that the Day of Atonement fell on that day. This year, the Jews celebrated it about two weeks before that. Like you, the Millerites did not agree with the Jews either. They found that a small sect called Karaite Jews were the only ones that had preserved the Biblical method for calculating the day. So, October 22 is actually one month after the majority of the Jews had celebrated Yom Kippur. But I’d like to know how are you calculating it.

Re: The Day of Atonement--Wonderful News #8363
10/20/01 03:28 AM
10/20/01 03:28 AM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Jean, thank you for making the connection between the sanctuary and salvation. I too believe that we crucify our old man habits of sin, our defects of character, in the outer court at the altar (the cross). And that we are baptized and born again in the laver. All this agrees with Rom 6.

I also believe we can enter the holy place only in the Spirit and mind of the new man. The symbolic furnishings in the holy place clearly indicate we grow in grace and mature in the fruit of the Spirit. And that sin is not dealt with while we are in Christ, in the holy place. Which strongly suggests to me that we "do not" and "cannot sin" (1 John 3:9) while we are experiencing the holy place.

Thus, sin and character imperfections are dealt with in the outer court. It might be said then that justification is obtained in the outer court, and then must be maintained in the holy place. And that sanctification happens while we are in the holy place and has nothing to do with sinning and repenting. Rather it has to do with growing in grace and maturing in the fruit of the Spirit.

Sanctification, as I understand it, is what Jesus experienced as He grew and matured in the fruit of the Spirit from childhood to manhood. It had nothing to do with gradually eliminating sin and overcoming unknown defects of character over the course of a lifetime. And the holy place smybolizes this truth very nicely. Sin is nowhere symbolized in the holy place.

Whereas sin is clearly dealt with in the outer court and on the day of atonement in the most holy place. In the MHP our sins are investigated and blotted out and then transferred to Satan who perishes with them in the lake of fire after the millennium. The very moment Jesus blots out our sins we will be unable to recall them from that second forward throughout eternity. This will be a reality for us before probation closes and the time of trouble with the outpouring of the 7 last plagues.

These truths represented in the sanctuary fill my heart with joy and peace. Thank you Jesus!

Re: The Day of Atonement--Wonderful News #8364
10/20/01 11:11 AM
10/20/01 11:11 AM
C
Charity  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2020

4500+ Member
USA
Jean, after my last post, I remembered that in The Shaking vision, EW p. 269 and 270, there is a joyful resolution to the vision. Ellen White first describes the most intense mental conflict that will be the experience of the faithful, but goes on to say that those who submit to God’s discipline and testing receive the latter rain!

“I saw some, with strong faith and agonizing cries, pleading with God. Their countenances were pale and marked with deep anxiety, expressive of their internal struggle. Firmness and great earnestness was expressed in their countenances; large drops of perspiration fell from their foreheads. Now and then their faces would light up with the marks of God's approbation, and again the same solemn, earnest, anxious look would settle upon them. . . .

Soon I heard a voice like many musical instruments all sounding in perfect strains, sweet and harmonious. It surpassed any music I had ever heard, seeming to be full of mercy, compassion, and elevating, holy joy. It thrilled through my whole being. Said the angel, "Look ye!" My attention was then turned to the company I had seen, who were mightily shaken. I was shown those whom I had before seen weeping and praying in agony of spirit. The company of guardian angels around them had been doubled, and they were clothed with an armor from their head to their feet. They moved in exact order, like a company of soldiers. Their countenances expressed the severe conflict which they had endured, the agonizing struggle they had passed through. Yet their features, marked with severe internal anguish, now shone with the light and glory of heaven. THEY HAD OBTAINED THE VICTORY, AND IT CALLED FORTH FROM THEM THE DEEPEST GRATITUDE AND HOLY, SACRED JOY. . . .

I asked what had made this great change. An angel answered, "It is the latter rain, the refreshing from the presence of the Lord, the loud cry of the third angel."

So, the bestowal of the latter rain is linked to a test or tests. I’ve often felt that this passage is full of meaning for us today and that it may tie in with Revelation 12 where we have a similar sequence: The dragon attacks the church, the church turns more fully to God, they overcome the dragon by the blood of Christ and the word of their testimony in the very face of death and become powerful witnesses for the truth, unstoppable by Satan who is enraged and regroups his forces for the final conflict. Why is Satan enraged? Because the church has received the latter rain. Satan knows prophecy. He realizes that God is about to fill the world with a knowledge of Himself “as the waters cover the sea”, and that the gospel is about to be proclaimed with more than Pentecostal power.

The above passages in the SOP and Rev 12 are pictures of both an individual and corporate victory, but we can have that experience of victory at any time on an individual level. As Sister White says, the latter rain may be falling on those all around us. This is how I picture perfection and the vindication that awaits the church. It should be the experience of us individually now, and it will be the experience of the entire church in the future.

Mike, on the Day of Atonement the High Priest “shall make an atonement for the holy [place], because of the uncleanness of the children of Israel, and because of their transgressions in all their sins: and so shall he do for the tabernacle of the congregation, that remaineth among them in the midst of their uncleanness. . . And when he hath made an end of reconciling the holy [place], and the tabernacle of the congregation, and the altar, he shall bring the live goat:” Lev 16:16 and 20. So three things are cleansed on this day: the Most Holy Place, the Holy Place, and the golden altar. There is special significance to those articles that are cleansed. That would be a good subject to continue with.

Re: The Day of Atonement--Wonderful News #8365
10/21/01 03:35 AM
10/21/01 03:35 AM
J
Jean Miller  Offline OP
USA
Mark, yes I agree that the time of the latter rain occurs over a few months. But during those months, when we are judged and sealed and our characters are perfected--this happens in a moment for those who are in the process of sanctification. This sealing process goes on for a period of time during the time of the latter rain as not everyone is sealed at once.

About the timing of the Day of Atonement, the Messianic Jews here where I live celebrated it just one day before we did. My husband confronted their rabbi on the fact that they were not following the Bible in their timing and the rabbi admitted my husband was right.

Calculating the time of the Day of Atonement is easy. Look it up in Leviticus 23. It says that Passover begins on the 14th day after the first month began. And, since during Passover week they waved the firstfruits of their barley harvest, then Passover has to be at barley harvest time which was in early April. Thus, the first new moon around the end of March or early April is the first day of the Jewish year. (The new moon in the Bible is calculated from when one sees the first sliver of the new moon--not when there is no moon as the world calculates it. Plus, calculating it from when there is no moon is confusing because there are 2-3 nights a month where there is no moon, so which one would be the day it is calculated from? That brings confusion.) Once you establish the first day of the new year, then calculating all the rest of the feasts is easy because Trumpets occurs on the 7th New Moon after the beginning of the new year, then 10 days after that is the Day of Atonement.

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/21/24 04:50 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/21/24 02:04 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 05/06/24 12:18 PM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by kland. 05/17/24 04:47 PM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:33 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:29 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:27 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by kland. 05/06/24 10:32 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!