HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,609
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 16
kland 9
Daryl 4
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
Daryl
Daryl
Nova Scotia, Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (Karen Y, Kevin H, Daryl, dedication, 2 invisible), 2,936 guests, and 16 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
What does it mean to be born again? #82850
12/19/06 08:56 PM
12/19/06 08:56 PM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
In discussing this topic on other threads, it appears to me that there is a great disagreement as to what this means, at least to one other regular poster on this forum. I thought I'd post my understanding of it, and my understanding of the other's perspective, and see what others here think.

I believe that being born again involves the surrendering of one's life to Christ, accepting Him as personal Savior, under the influence of the Holy Spirit, who reveals the love of God shining from the cross, moving one to repents of one's sins and give one's self to Christ. This process brings the repentant sinner into harmony with God, and necessarily into harmony with His law, which is a transcript of His character. A converted person may fall into sin (although he need not), but he will not, as long as he is converted, rebelliously pursue sin.

MM's idea (please correct me if I misstate this), is that before a person can be converted, the Holy Spirit must reveal every sinful habit cultivated since birth, and all these sins must be confessed. No one who drinks (any drinking at all), for example, is converted.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: What does it mean to be born again? [Re: Tom] #82892
12/20/06 06:26 PM
12/20/06 06:26 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Tom, please clarify something you posted. Does a person surrender themselves to Jesus before or after they are born again?

Re: What does it mean to be born again? [Re: Mountain Man] #83024
12/25/06 06:27 AM
12/25/06 06:27 AM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
What I wrote seems pretty clear: "I believe that being born again involves the surrendering of one's life to Christ."

What needs to be clarified here?

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: What does it mean to be born again? [Re: Tom] #83031
12/25/06 09:14 AM
12/25/06 09:14 AM
R
roxe  Offline
Posting New Member
USA
i'm really interested in the "new birth" or "born again."

using the EGW CD search, chasing the "new birth" was an eye-opener. for instance, it is stated that the night that Jacob had the ladder dream, he experienced the new birth. yet, he didn't have Jabok for 20 some years. what is the difference between the new birth, and Jabok?

what exactly is the new birth, or being born again? what is one's condition before and after? is this experienced once, or does it need to be repeated? and how often?

what is the difference between dying daily and the new birth? or is there any?

is the new birth equated with surrender?

how does one surrender? how does one surrender CONSTANTLY?

please use scripture in your replies...

Such as Eph. 6, where it states to "put on the armour" and "take the armour"... what is the difference between those statements, and what do they mean? how does one "put on the armour" and "take the armour" - according to scripture?

roxe
sorry for all the questions - i just want to understand, and it's difficult.

Re: What does it mean to be born again? [Re: roxe] #83037
12/25/06 04:14 PM
12/25/06 04:14 PM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Good questions, roxe. Here are a few thoughts, which I hope will be helpful.

I know you asked for Scripture, but I'm going to start with the Desire of Ages, because this is the clearest explanation I know of:

Quote:
How, then, are we to be saved? "As Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness," so the Son of man has been lifted up, and everyone who has been deceived and bitten by the serpent may look and live. "Behold the Lamb of God, which taketh away the sin of the world." John 1:29. The light shining from the cross reveals the love of God. His love is drawing us to Himself. If we do not resist this drawing, we shall be led to the foot of the cross in repentance for the sins that have crucified the Saviour. Then the Spirit of God through faith produces a new life in the soul. The thoughts and desires are brought into obedience to the will of Christ. The heart, the mind, are created anew in the image of Him who works in us to subdue all things to Himself. Then the law of God is written in the mind and heart, and we can say with Christ, "I delight to do Thy will, O my God." Ps. 40:8. {DA 175.5}

This brings out that God draws us to Himself by revealing His love, especially by way of the cross. If we do not resist His drawing, we will be led to repentance. As we repent, we experience the miracle of the new birth, which is basically God reconciling us, or bringing us into harmony with Himself.

The "new birth" is synonomous with "conversion." So it can be applied to both the original experience whereby one is converted, as well as to the dying daily experience. Usually when one speaks of the new birth, one has the first experience in mind.

In terms of surrendering, one surrenders by believing. As Jesus said, "He who comes to me, I will in no way cast out."

Believing involves more than mental assent. It involves a uniting of the mind, heart and will with God's.

In terms of Scripture, the publican comes to mind:

Quote:
"Two people went up to the temple to pray, one a Pharisee and the other a tax collector. The Pharisee, standing by himself, was praying thus, 'God, I thank you that I am not like other people: thieves, rogues, adulterers, or even like this tax collector. I fast twice a week; I give a tenth of all my income.' But the tax collector, standing far off, would not even look up to heaven, but was beating his breast and saying, 'God, be merciful to me, a sinner!' I tell you, this man went down to his home justified rather than the other." (Luke 18:10-14a)

To be justified is to be set right with God (or converted, born again). Here we see that he was born again as he simply asked for mercy.

In terms of surrendering constantly, I think something to keep in mind is what it is that God wants, so we don't misunderstand what surrendering is about. God does not want robots. The surrender He has in view is not a mindless one, where He tells us what to do, and we unthinkingly do it. Rather it is His desire that follow Him because we are convinced about Him; that we admire His character; that we believe in the principles by which He lives and governs.

Because God's ways are not our ways, and our perceptions of truth are off, when God reveals truth to us, there is always a challenge, or surrender, involved. We surrender by taking hold of the new wineskin and laying off the old, which is to say, by laying hold of the truths which God reveals to us.

Re: What does it mean to be born again? [Re: Tom] #83038
12/25/06 05:02 PM
12/25/06 05:02 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
MM: Tom, please clarify something you posted. Does a person surrender themselves to Jesus before or after they are born again?

TE: What I wrote seems pretty clear: "I believe that being born again involves the surrendering of one's life to Christ." What needs to be clarified here?

MM: The words "surrendering" and "surrender" mean different things, right? My question has to do with what must happen in order to experience the miracle of rebirth, and your statement seems to to describe what it takes to stay born again.

Re: What does it mean to be born again? [Re: Mountain Man] #83045
12/25/06 05:37 PM
12/25/06 05:37 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Roxe, your questions indicate you know a lot about rebirth, which should make studying with you very rewarding.

1. What is the difference between the new birth, and Jabok?

MM: I have never heard of Jabok.

2. What exactly is the new birth, or being born again?

MM: Jesus said, “Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God. That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit.” (John 3:5, 6) And Peter wrote, “Seeing ye have purified your souls in obeying the truth through the Spirit unto unfeigned love of the brethren, see that ye love one another with a pure heart fervently: being born again, not of corruptible seed, but of incorruptible, by the word of God, which liveth and abideth for ever.” (1 Peter 1:22, 23)

What do these insights mean to you?

3. What is one's condition before and after?

MM: The following passages describe people before and after they are born again:

Ephesians
2:1 And you [hath he quickened], who were dead in trespasses and sins:
2:2 Wherein in time past ye walked according to the course of this world, according to the prince of the power of the air, the spirit that now worketh in the children of disobedience:
2:3 Among whom also we all had our conversation in times past in the lusts of our flesh, fulfilling the desires of the flesh and of the mind; and were by nature the children of wrath, even as others.
2:4 But God, who is rich in mercy, for his great love wherewith he loved us,
2:5 Even when we were dead in sins, hath quickened us together with Christ, (by grace ye are saved;)
2:6 And hath raised [us] up together, and made [us] sit together in heavenly [places] in Christ Jesus:
2:7 That in the ages to come he might show the exceeding riches of his grace in [his] kindness toward us through Christ Jesus.
2:8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: [it is] the gift of God:
2:9 Not of works, lest any man should boast.
2:10 For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them.

Galatians
5:16 [This] I say then, Walk in the Spirit, and ye shall not fulfil the lust of the flesh.
5:17 For the flesh lusteth against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh: and these are contrary the one to the other: so that ye cannot do the things that ye would.
5:18 But if ye be led of the Spirit, ye are not under the law.
5:19 Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are [these]; Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness,
5:20 Idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies,
5:21 Envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like: of the which I tell you before, as I have also told [you] in time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God.
5:22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith,
5:23 Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law.
5:24 And they that are Christ's have crucified the flesh with the affections and lusts.
5:25 If we live in the Spirit, let us also walk in the Spirit.
5:26 Let us not be desirous of vain glory, provoking one another, envying one another.

4. Is this experienced once, or does it need to be repeated? and how often?

MM: Jesus’ counsel about it suggests that it should only happen once, but there are those who backslide and need to be “born again” again.

5. What is the difference between dying daily and the new birth? or is there any?

MM: The day we are born again is the first day we die to sin, self, and Satan. “I die daily” (1 Cor. 15:31) cannot mean, I sin daily. Therefore, it must mean - I choose every day to maintain the death of sin, self, and Satan. “As ye have therefore received Christ Jesus the Lord, so walk ye in him: rooted and built up in him, and stablished in the faith, as ye have been taught, abounding therein with thanksgiving.” (Col. 2:6, 7)

6. Is the new birth equated with surrender? How does one surrender? how does one surrender CONSTANTLY??

MM: Yes. But we must first understand what and who we are surrendering to. Rebirth is not an accident. Instead, it is the miraculous result of hearing and heeding the Word of God. It goes along with Jesus’ vine and branch illustration in John 15. It explains how born again believers constantly surrender.

7. How does one "put on the armour" and "take the armour" - according to scripture?

MM: Putting on and taking on armour refers to the same thing, namely, clothing ourselves in accordance with Paul’s illustration:

Ephesians
6:14 Stand therefore, having your loins girt about with truth, and having on the breastplate of righteousness;
6:15 And your feet shod with the preparation of the gospel of peace;
6:16 Above all, taking the shield of faith, wherewith ye shall be able to quench all the fiery darts of the wicked.
6:17 And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God:
6:18 Praying always with all prayer and supplication in the Spirit, and watching thereunto with all perseverance and supplication for all saints;

Re: What does it mean to be born again? [Re: Mountain Man] #83052
12/26/06 04:09 AM
12/26/06 04:09 AM
R
roxe  Offline
Posting New Member
USA
MM: no i don't know alot about rebirth. i'm trying to figure it out. lots of confusion. Jabok=Jabbok, the brook where Jacob wrestled with Christ.
===================
Thanks Tom, for your trying to answer. it's not so easy to put this into words, is it.

what got me started on this, is the following statement:
"The new birth is a rare experience in this age of the world. This is the reason why there are so many perplexities in the churches. Many, so many, who assume the name of Christ are unsanctified and unholy. They have been baptized, but they were buried alive. Self did not die, and therefore they did not rise to newness of life in Christ" (MS 148, 1897).

if the new birth was a rare experience in 1897, and we are getting worse and not better, it must be almost non-existant now.

no wonder it's so hard to explain... if it's so rare to experience.

if you have the EGW CD, put in "new birth" in quotes like that, and start reading the hits that come up. it is stated over and over in various ways what is stated in the quote above, that self does not die... all they have is their head converted, the heart has not been touched - and the new birth has not happened, they just think it has.

when the new birth really happens, everything changes, the tastes, actions, thoughts, desires, everything.

i'm confused about the following two quotes:

"The Lord gave to Jacob, the lonely traveler wandering in a dreary wilderness, a wonderful dream. Jacob lay down to rest at night with a stone for his pillow, and there the Lord gave to him a glorious vision. He saw a ladder, the base of which rested firmly on the earth, its top reaching to the very heavens. It was a ladder of shining brightness, for God stood at the top, and His glory streamed from heaven to earth. This was a symbol of the ladder which all who love God will ascend heavenward, round after round. That night Jacob, the petted son of his mother, experienced the new birth and became a child of God. In his discouraged state the light that came to him was regarded as most precious, and the hard stone on which his head rested the most desirable on which his head had ever rested."--Ms. 85, 1908, pp. 1-6. ("Cooperation Between Schools and Sanitarium," June 30, 1908.) {10MR 263.4}

"In his childhood, Joseph had been taught the love and fear of God. Often in his father's tent, under the Syrian stars, he had been told the story of the night vision at Bethel, of the ladder from heaven to earth, and the descending and ascending angels, and of Him who from the throne above revealed Himself to Jacob. He had been told the story of the conflict beside the Jabbok, when, renouncing cherished sins, Jacob stood conqueror, and received the title of a prince with God. {Ed 52.1}

ok, the first one states that the night of the ladder dream Jacob experienced the new birth, which means a complete change. the second quote states that he renounced cherished sins at the Jabbok?

so, is the new birth an on-going experience?? reading all the hits on the EGW cd, it seems that it is an almost instantaneous thing, a 180 degree change of direction.

i've heard say that sanctification is a work of a lifetime.

ok, i just can't seem to put this all together. i'm more confused now than before i started reading all the hits. i've heard that this is so simple that a child can understand it... maybe i haven't gotten to "childhood" yet?? :-)

roxe

Re: What does it mean to be born again? [Re: roxe] #83055
12/26/06 09:15 AM
12/26/06 09:15 AM
V
vastergotland  Offline
Active Member 2011
3500+ Member
Sweden
Jabok is where Jacob became Israel and got a limp.

Galatians 2
21 I do not frustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness come by the law, then Christ is dead in vain.

It is so hazardous to take here a little and there a little. If you put the right little's together you can make the bible teach anything you wish. //Graham Maxwell
Re: What does it mean to be born again? [Re: vastergotland] #83057
12/26/06 03:10 PM
12/26/06 03:10 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Roxe, what do you think about the rest of what others posted in response to your initial post?

Sister White’s insight about new birth being “rare” is, no doubt, more true today than it was when she first penned it. Both the Bible and the SOP make it clear that conversion and rebirth involves crucifying our “old man” habits of sin, which means people must first confess and forsake their sinful habits (not necessarily the millions of sins that formed the habits), in light of the cross, before they can experience the miracle of rebirth.

That’s what happened to Jacob the night he wrestled with the angel of the Lord. His conversion and rebirth was the result of a long, patient, protracted process. No one is born again in one second or one day. There is no such thing as “sudden” rebirth. Yes, partial birth conversions abound, but they do not count as true conversion in the eyes of God.

True, genuine conversion and rebirth results in a “new creature”. God implants within people, the instant the complete the process of conversion, the sinless, incorruptible seed (mind) of the “new man”. Then begins the “lifelong” process of sanctification, a process whereby newborn believers grow in grace and mature in the fruit of the Spirit. So long as they are “abiding” in Jesus, so long as they are “walking” in the Spirit and mind of the “new man”, they do not and “cannot” commit a known sin.

The following passages confirm these things:

Romans
6:1 What shall we say then? Shall we continue in sin, that grace may abound?
6:2 God forbid. How shall we, that are dead to sin, live any longer therein?
6:3 Know ye not, that so many of us as were baptized into Jesus Christ were baptized into his death?
6:4 Therefore we are buried with him by baptism into death: that like as Christ was raised up from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life.
6:5 For if we have been planted together in the likeness of his death, we shall be also [in the likeness] of [his] resurrection:
6:6 Knowing this, that our old man is crucified with [him], that the body of sin might be destroyed, that henceforth we should not serve sin.
6:7 For he that is dead is freed from sin.

2 Corinthians
5:17 Therefore if any man [be] in Christ, [he is] a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.

Galatians
5:16 [This] I say then, Walk in the Spirit, and ye shall not fulfil the lust of the flesh.
5:22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith,
5:23 Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law.
5:24 And they that are Christ's have crucified the flesh with the affections and lusts.
5:25 If we live in the Spirit, let us also walk in the Spirit.

Ephesians
4:20 But ye have not so learned Christ;
4:21 If so be that ye have heard him, and have been taught by him, as the truth is in Jesus:
4:22 That ye put off concerning the former conversation the old man, which is corrupt according to the deceitful lusts;
4:23 And be renewed in the spirit of your mind;
4:24 And that ye put on the new man, which after God is created in righteousness and true holiness.

1 Peter
4:1 Forasmuch then as Christ hath suffered for us in the flesh, arm yourselves likewise with the same mind: for he that hath suffered in the flesh hath ceased from sin;
4:2 That he no longer should live the rest of [his] time in the flesh to the lusts of men, but to the will of God.

1 John
3:3 And every man that hath this hope in him purifieth himself, even as he is pure.
3:4 Whosoever committeth sin transgresseth also the law: for sin is the transgression of the law.
3:5 And ye know that he was manifested to take away our sins; and in him is no sin.
3:6 Whosoever abideth in him sinneth not: whosoever sinneth hath not seen him, neither known him.
3:7 Little children, let no man deceive you: he that doeth righteousness is righteous, even as he is righteous.
3:8 He that committeth sin is of the devil; for the devil sinneth from the beginning. For this purpose the Son of God was manifested, that he might destroy the works of the devil.
3:9 Whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin; for his seed remaineth in him: and he cannot sin, because he is born of God.
3:10 In this the children of God are manifest, and the children of the devil: whosoever doeth not righteousness is not of God, neither he that loveth not his brother.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 04/30/24 10:34 PM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 04/21/24 06:41 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Daryl. 05/01/24 07:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by ProdigalOne. 04/29/24 04:47 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!