HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,600
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 14
kland 9
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (Karen Y, dedication, ProdigalOne, Kevin H, Daryl, 1 invisible), 3,050 guests, and 20 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Diaster Preparedness! #91562
08/25/07 08:35 PM
08/25/07 08:35 PM
Servant  Offline OP
USA
I posted this on BSDA, will post it here too.

This week, I attended a full, two-day disaster relief and preparedness conference. I was one of several representatives our governmental agency assigned to attend. The subject matter presenters, all experts in their field, are well-known. Several are nationally recognized.

My point however, in this post is to let you know there are brilliant persons who advocate personal and professional or agency preparedness for disasters. All conference speakers agreed we are vulnerable to catastrophic events which may involve nature, terrorism and pandemic flu. In addition, events that occur may overlap or entail several disasters, i.e., widespread influenza as well as a coinciding natural or terrorist event.

While I ‘brace’ myself for the anticipated reproach to this post because the message may be received as negative and depressing, I am ethically bound to simply let you know the ‘thinking’ that is ‘out there’ so you can prepare too.

This is not ‘just’ apocalyptic thinking! Regardless of one’s personal belief system, some Public Health officials propose that at the very least, we are ‘due’ for an influenza epidemic. The influenza epidemic of 1918 killed two million persons. Extrapolating that data and then applying it to this society, forty-five million persons could die within a short time frame.

As you may imagine, in an event of this magnitude, the systems we currently depend upon will cease to exist, or will be much less effective. As you may also see, an influenza epidemic combined with another catastrophic event results in an incomprehensible picture.

Despite these grim thoughts, the most important ‘take home’ message I hope to convey to you is this; be prepared. In a catastrophic event we are essentially responsible for our own care and safety.

Although we have no personal control over natural or man-made disasters, we can store at minimum a three-day supply of drinking water, toilet paper, food, flashlights and first-aid supplies including personal medications, hygiene items, and hand sanitizer for each family member/ close associate. Of course a larger supply is preferable. We can also store necessities in our vehicle(s) like water, toilet paper; first aid supplies, etc. (then rotate those supplies to assure their freshness).

Does it mean that just because we store supplies we will have access to them in the event of a disaster? No! We cannot predict events or in any way assure we are in the ‘right place’ when a catastrophe occurs, however preparation to the best of our ability is not only prudent; it is our responsibility.

Re: Diaster Preparedness! [Re: Servant] #91563
08/25/07 09:23 PM
08/25/07 09:23 PM
G
gordonb1  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2014

Veteran Member
Quebec
Hello Servant,

Thank you for the helpful information. I understand these meetings are being held across the country. Adventists are also charged with a special message of preparation, but many cry peace & safety instead. Please furnish more details if you are able.

Gordon

Re: Diaster Preparedness! [Re: gordonb1] #91568
08/26/07 04:06 AM
08/26/07 04:06 AM
Redfog  Offline
Michigan, USA
I think those of us that live in rural areas are naturally better prepared to handle disasters than those who live in the cities. And living in a less populated area we lessen the chances of an epidemic taking hold in the population as we have less human to human contact. We can also handle long term power outages easier, cooking over an open fire if need be, harvesting wild game etc.

On the other hand my father's mother died during the 1918 epidemic even though they lived in the country. (In the house where I do come to think of it).

In any case I think EGW had it right about moving to the country.

Redfog

If at first you don't succeed.....destroy all evidence you ever tried.
Re: Diaster Preparedness! [Re: Redfog] #95340
02/06/08 07:47 PM
02/06/08 07:47 PM
F
fun2believe  Offline
California, USA
Where will all the people who live in the country move to, when all the other people move to the country?

Save some of that good country for me. How will you witness to others when you live out in the middle of no where? Should we all run and hide until Jesus returns?

If you are a vegetarian, and living out in the country, in cold places, how can you feed yourself? You'd have to eat off the land (animals which the church say's are bad), or buy stuff from the store. Then you would be supporting those who live in the cities. How will you ever enjoy a banana? You can't grow them in Michigan (unless you've got a green house, and does God expect everyone to have a green house?). Plus, how will you get all the vitamens and minerals your body needs? We need variety, that's why God gave us so much. And it takes cities for people out in the country to survive. It's a symbiotic relationship. Plus, if everyone lived in the country, then it would be "the city" and people would have to move again.

It's not a fair argument or statment or ideal, for all SDA's to live in the country. That's just silly and short sighted. Try living on your own, don't use cars, or electricity (like some other religions), will you be closer to God?

Re: Diaster Preparedness! [Re: fun2believe] #95344
02/06/08 08:45 PM
02/06/08 08:45 PM
V
vastergotland  Offline
Active Member 2011
3500+ Member
Sweden
What do you think is the cause of the explosive growth of suburbia? Everyone wants to live in that house witch is close to the services of the city but yet has a farmland in one direction of the yard. Then someone else with the same dream buys the farmland next to existing houses and the city grows.

Galatians 2
21 I do not frustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness come by the law, then Christ is dead in vain.

It is so hazardous to take here a little and there a little. If you put the right little's together you can make the bible teach anything you wish. //Graham Maxwell
Re: Diaster Preparedness! [Re: vastergotland] #95350
02/06/08 10:05 PM
02/06/08 10:05 PM
F
fun2believe  Offline
California, USA
Suburbia is what people want, just like you so very well described it, the best of both worlds. And you also described the problem, and why it keeps getting worse, well done.

So how can I follow ellen's advice, if there's no rural farm land left? What if I can't get a job out there? How will I pay my tithe, if there's no job? I can't feed my family if no job is available. Not everyone can have a job out in the country.

Should we move the Adventist headquarters out to the "farmland?" Oh, but with so many jobs contained therin, it wouldn't really be the rural area anymore, right?

I think we have to REALISTIC in our ideals, and try to attain things that have a chance. You can live a good life "in the city"! You can eat fresh veggies, and fruit, and see doctor's, and work out, go to a church that's close by, and have others to minister to, not all of those things can you do, out in the "burbs", or the "country" for that matter. Some idea's are better on paper, and don't always work out in reality.

If there was something inherantly wrong with cities, I don't think God would have allowed them. Won't there be cities in heaven? Streets of gold? Where would those streets lead?

"Once again, my view's, not the same as everybody else, and I'm glad it's that way. It would be so boring here if we all agreed on everything. God gave me the ability to reason, and you can be sure I'll use that ability to the best of my, of my, of my,,,,,,,,,,,,,,abiltity, I guess."

Re: Diaster Preparedness! [Re: fun2believe] #95440
02/08/08 06:58 PM
02/08/08 06:58 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
"City" is a big word, right? It can mean the Bronx or Timbuktu. I would rather raise my children in Timbuktu. "Country" is also a big word. It can mean 2 acres within the city limit or 20 acres outside the city limit.

I like to be within 20 minutes of town with enough space to have several fruit trees and a small garden. If circumstances force it, we could make it for a short time on what we have in the cellar and what we could harvest from our trees and garden. But I would miss my bananas, that's for sure!

I think God gave Sister White excellent advice regarding living where there is enough room to have some fruit trees and a small garden. But it wasn't a mandate. It is not a sin to live in town. Sin is an unholy thought, word or deed - not where we live.

Re: Diaster Preparedness! [Re: Mountain Man] #95474
02/09/08 02:27 AM
02/09/08 02:27 AM
D
D R  Offline
Charter Member
SDA
Active Member 2020

East Coast Canada
I am in Oshawa tonight. Oshawa is basicly a section of TORONTO. I hate the number of people, cars, industry, houses etc! I can not understand how anyone could live here with about 3 Million neighbours. i am so thankfull that I live in New Brunswick Canada, with a population of under 1 million in the whole Province. I actually live in Robichaud, 30 minutes from Moncton. With about 25 neighbors in the summer and 6 in the winter i love being 200 yards from the Ocean (Northumberland Straight actually) with the warmest waters north of the Carolina's! i know that many people love where they live but this Toronto thing is just CRAZY. I talked to a local here and he said he commutes 1 hour one way to work each day! 5 days a week 2 hours per day driving, working 48 weeks per year equals (2X5X48)480 hours of driving to and from work!!! all within the city of Toronto! BAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHhh

Re: Diaster Preparedness! [Re: D R] #95475
02/09/08 02:39 AM
02/09/08 02:39 AM
D
D R  Offline
Charter Member
SDA
Active Member 2020

East Coast Canada
Hi Mike! we miss you in the province of Noveau Brunswick. \:\)

Re: Diaster Preparedness! [Re: D R] #95491
02/09/08 08:44 PM
02/09/08 08:44 PM
Faith  Offline
Newfoundland, Canada
To come back to the topic of preparedness. I have in the past few months seen TV adds from the government on the very same thing. Just last Thursday night I saw this add and was going over in my mind what supplies we had in the house in case some disaster struck (ice storms, electrical outages and boil water orders are not uncommon in Eastern Canada). I know we have enough canned foods to last for maybe 2 weeks, although there may be some interesting and weird food combinations before all the food was used up. We have some bottled water, probably enough for 2 or 3 days and we always stock up on paper products when they go on sale. My biggest worry is a heat supply if the electricity is out for any length of time. Although I do live in the country, and our house is heated with wood we depend on electricity to run the furnace that burns the wood (and oil also). Time to think of finding an alternate emergency heat supply. I think I'll buy one of those large rubbermaid containers and put together an emergency kit--just in case. Of course, whatever happens we have a loving heavenly Father who cares for us in every circumstance.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderator  Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 04/28/24 11:09 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 04/21/24 06:41 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 04/28/24 09:29 AM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by dedication. 04/01/24 07:48 PM
Time Is Short!
by ProdigalOne. 03/29/24 10:50 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!