HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,617
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 21
kland 9
Daryl 4
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (dedication, Karen Y, Kevin H, Daryl, 2 invisible), 3,325 guests, and 23 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 11 of 42 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 41 42
Re: The Concept of Sin, of Punishment, Etc. [Re: Mountain Man] #92053
09/28/07 01:10 AM
09/28/07 01:10 AM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Tom, before I address your comments in response to my post, please take a minute to address my questions. Thank you. Here it is again:

Quote:
Their sufferings are often represented as a punishment visited upon them by the direct decree of God. It is thus that the great deceiver seeks to conceal his own work. (GC 35.3)

TE: It turns out their destruction was caused by Satan, not by God!

Caused by Satan or caused by the Roman Military? I'm sure evil angels were actively inspiring Jews and Romans alike, but it was the Romans who defeated the Jews and slaughtered them. What role did God play? He permitted it. Nothing of the like would have happened had God not permitted it, right?

GC 614
A single angel destroyed all the first-born of the Egyptians and filled the land with mourning. When David offended against God by numbering the people, one angel caused that terrible destruction by which his sin was punished. The same destructive power exercised by holy angels when God commands, will be exercised by evil angels when He permits. There are forces now ready, and only waiting the divine permission, to spread desolation everywhere. {GC 614.2}

Were these angels, cited above in bold text, evil or holy angels? No doubt you believe they were holy angels. And why not? Is it wrong for holy angels to destroy humans when God commands it? Should we be shocked or horrified if God punishes and destroys sinners in the lake of fire at the end of time?

Re: The Concept of Sin, of Punishment, Etc. [Re: Mountain Man] #92054
09/28/07 01:24 AM
09/28/07 01:24 AM
J
John Boskovic  Offline
Dedicated Member
Ontario
 Originally Posted By: Mountain Man
JB: The point is that making a clean slate of the flesh, would not in anyway remove temptation as long as the senses are maintained as source.

MM: It would eliminate internally generated temptations. Our flesh would no longer war against us or the Spirit of God. Our appetites and passions would be naturally in harmony with the will of God. Eve's thought processes were not influenced by a nature at war with God and man. She was perfect from head to toe.

To make a clean slate of the flesh while the senses are maintained as source would only eliminate historical issues but would with the first occasion establish the problem over again. The flesh warring against the spirit has to do with the fact that it has been made the source, and hence it is in the place where the spirit ought to be.
 Quote:
JB: I agree that we will receive a body in harmony with the spirit.

MM: In what way will it make a difference?

A difference in what?

Re: The Concept of Sin, of Punishment, Etc. [Re: Mountain Man] #92057
09/28/07 04:38 PM
09/28/07 04:38 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
TE: Regarding your comments on the GC quote, no, I don't agree, which should be obvious.

MM: Tom, please point out where my comments fail to grasp what she wrote in the GC. Thank you.

I answered this in my post. My point is that you cannot look at just one thing that was written, so even asking the question of where your comments fail to grasp what she wrote in the GC is not a proper question, IMO. Even elsewhere in the GC itself she writes things which should be taken into account in interpreting what she wrote in the part you quoted (e.g. GC 541-543 has important principles to bear in mind, where it speaks of how God would make the lost happy, if He could).

Quote:
Their sufferings are often represented as a punishment visited upon them by the direct decree of God. It is thus that the great deceiver seeks to conceal his own work. (GC 35.3)

MM:Caused by Satan or caused by the Roman Military?

Their sufferings are often represented as a punishment visited upon them by the direct decree of God. It is thus that the great deceiver seeks to conceal his own work.

MM:I'm sure evil angels were actively inspiring Jews and Romans alike, but it was the Romans who defeated the Jews and slaughtered them. What role did God play? He permitted it. Nothing of the like would have happened had God not permitted it, right?

Nothing can happen that God does not permit. It would be a horrendous mistake to infer from this that the things which God permits are His will.

GC 614
A single angel destroyed all the first-born of the Egyptians and filled the land with mourning. When David offended against God by numbering the people, one angel caused that terrible destruction by which his sin was punished. The same destructive power exercised by holy angels when God commands, will be exercised by evil angels when He permits. There are forces now ready, and only waiting the divine permission, to spread desolation everywhere. {GC 614.2}

Were these angels, cited above in bold text, evil or holy angels? No doubt you believe they were holy angels. And why not? Is it wrong for holy angels to destroy humans when God commands it? Should we be shocked or horrified if God punishes and destroys sinners in the lake of fire at the end of time?

I addressed this at length in the post I wrote as a response to your post.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: The Concept of Sin, of Punishment, Etc. [Re: John Boskovic] #92081
10/02/07 02:30 PM
10/02/07 02:30 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
 Originally Posted By: John Boskovic
 Originally Posted By: Mountain Man
JB: The point is that making a clean slate of the flesh, would not in anyway remove temptation as long as the senses are maintained as source.

MM: It would eliminate internally generated temptations. Our flesh would no longer war against us or the Spirit of God. Our appetites and passions would be naturally in harmony with the will of God. Eve's thought processes were not influenced by a nature at war with God and man. She was perfect from head to toe.

To make a clean slate of the flesh while the senses are maintained as source would only eliminate historical issues but would with the first occasion establish the problem over again. The flesh warring against the spirit has to do with the fact that it has been made the source, and hence it is in the place where the spirit ought to be.

Quote:

MM: In what way will it make a difference?

A difference in what?

JB: The flesh warring against the spirit has to do with the fact that it has been made the source, and hence it is in the place where the spirit ought to be.

MM: The flesh always wars against the Spirit and mind of the new man. It was thus with Jesus. His flesh warred against Him, too. It doesn' mean we are sinning or relying on the wrong source. Here is how Sister White describes it:

Quote:
The Christian will feel the promptings of sin, for the flesh lusteth against the Spirit; but the Spirit striveth against the flesh, keeping up a constant warfare. (SL 92, 93)

MM: How will this new body change our life? What will be different about it as compared to our old body?

Re: The Concept of Sin, of Punishment, Etc. [Re: Tom] #92082
10/02/07 02:38 PM
10/02/07 02:38 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
 Originally Posted By: Tom Ewall
TE: Regarding your comments on the GC quote, no, I don't agree, which should be obvious.

MM: Tom, please point out where my comments fail to grasp what she wrote in the GC. Thank you.

I answered this in my post. My point is that you cannot look at just one thing that was written, so even asking the question of where your comments fail to grasp what she wrote in the GC is not a proper question, IMO. Even elsewhere in the GC itself she writes things which should be taken into account in interpreting what she wrote in the part you quoted (e.g. GC 541-543 has important principles to bear in mind, where it speaks of how God would make the lost happy, if He could).

Quote:

Their sufferings are often represented as a punishment visited upon them by the direct decree of God. It is thus that the great deceiver seeks to conceal his own work.

MM:I'm sure evil angels were actively inspiring Jews and Romans alike, but it was the Romans who defeated the Jews and slaughtered them. What role did God play? He permitted it. Nothing of the like would have happened had God not permitted it, right?

Nothing can happen that God does not permit. It would be a horrendous mistake to infer from this that the things which God permits are His will.

GC 614

TE: I answered this in my post.

MM: Okay. But it doesn't address the points I raised. Whatever.

TE: It is thus that the great deceiver seeks to conceal his own work.

MM: Are you saying Satan, and not the Romans, killed the Jews?

TE: It would be a horrendous mistake to infer from this that the things which God permits are His will.

MM: Why, then, does He permit it?

TE: I addressed this at length in the post I wrote as a response to your post.

MM: I was unable to determine from it if you believe the paragraph quoted above is referring to holy angels or evil angels. Again, did God command holy angels to destroy sinners?

Re: The Concept of Sin, of Punishment, Etc. [Re: Mountain Man] #92085
10/02/07 06:05 PM
10/02/07 06:05 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas

Quote:

GC 614

TE: I answered this in my post.

MM: Okay. But it doesn't address the points I raised. Whatever.

It does. I went into a lot of detail addressing this. I discussed GC 614, the surrounding paragraphs, GC chapter 1, and a lot of other things, to specifically address the points you raised.

TE: It is thus that the great deceiver seeks to conceal his own work.

MM: Are you saying Satan, and not the Romans, killed the Jews?

Wasn't this asked and answered? I'm sure you must have some point in this question. What is it? I quoted from Sister White, that many think that the punishments of God are due to direct decrees, and it is thus that Satan seeks to hid his own work.

TE: It would be a horrendous mistake to infer from this that the things which God permits are His will.

MM: Why, then, does He permit it?

Because it was not His intention to create automatons.

TE: I addressed this at length in the post I wrote as a response to your post.

MM: I was unable to determine from it if you believe the paragraph quoted above is referring to holy angels or evil angels. Again, did God command holy angels to destroy sinners?

I addressed this in post #92050. This entire post was written for the purpose of answering your question.

I wrote an entire post to answer this question of yours, and the others regarding GC 614. Rather than reasking the same questions that prompted my writing the post in the first place, why not discuss the post I wrote to address your questions?

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: The Concept of Sin, of Punishment, Etc. [Re: Tom] #92090
10/03/07 03:40 AM
10/03/07 03:40 AM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
TE: It does. I went into a lot of detail addressing this. I discussed GC 614, the surrounding paragraphs, GC chapter 1, and a lot of other things, to specifically address the points you raised.

MM: I was referring to the long GC quote and my accompanying comments. You ignored it and posted DA 764 instead with the assumption the DA quote interprets the GC quote. Here are my comments again. Please, Tom, show me why my comments below are wrong. Thank you.

Quote:
MM: Here is the chronology of events in the GC:

1. At last the order to advance is given, and the countless host moves on--an army such as was never summoned by earthly conquerors, such as the combined forces of all ages since war began on earth could never equal. {GC 664.3}

MM: Satan leads the unsaved to overthrow the City of God.

2. In the presence of the assembled inhabitants of earth and heaven the final coronation of the Son of God takes place. {GC 666.1}

MM: The gates are closed, and Jesus is coronated.

3. As soon as the books of record are opened, and the eye of Jesus looks upon the wicked, they are conscious of every sin which they have ever committed. {GC 666.2}

MM: The wicked are judged. But no consuming fire of God’s glory. No suffering in proportion to their sinfulness occurs at this point.

4. [Satan] sees another now standing near to the Father, veiling His glory. {GC 669.1}

MM: The glory of God’s consuming fire is veiled at this time. No consuming fire is involved at this point.

5. Their rage is kindled against Satan and those who have been his agents in deception, and with the fury of demons they turn upon them. {GC 671.2}

MM: Their lost condition causes them to fight among themselves. But no consuming fire of God’s glory at this point.

6. Fire comes down from God out of heaven. The earth is broken up. The weapons concealed in its depths are drawn forth. {GC 672.2}

MM: Finally, there is fire from God above and from the earth below.

7. Some are destroyed as in a moment, while others suffer many days. All are punished "according to their deeds." {GC 673.1}

MM: The combined fires from above and below cause sinners to suffer in proportion to their sinfulness. No effort is made to differentiate between the two sources of fire. Both cause sinners to suffer and burn up according to their sinfulness.

8. While God is to the wicked a consuming fire, He is to His people both a sun and a shield. Revelation 20:6; Psalm 84:11. {GC 673.3}

MM: This fire is mentioned in the context of sinners literally burning up.

9. The fire that consumes the wicked purifies the earth. {GC 674.1}

MM: This fire is mentioned in the context of God’s glory. (#92036)

TE: Because it was not His intention to create automatons.

MM: Which is why He commanded angels to destroy sinners. What? If it wasn't His will, then whose was it?

TE: I addressed this in post #92050. This entire post was written for the purpose of answering your question.

Quote:
TE: What is it that God commands the holy angels to do? To destroy? No, to release. They release their control, and destruction takes place. (#92050)

MM: Shall I assume, then, that you do not believe the angels referred to in GC 614 are the ones who actually destroyed the sinners? that they merely stepped aside and allowed the evil angels to do it? Here is the quote again:

Quote:
A single angel destroyed all the first-born of the Egyptians and filled the land with mourning. When David offended against God by numbering the people, one angel caused that terrible destruction by which his sin was punished. The same destructive power exercised by holy angels when God commands, will be exercised by evil angels when He permits.{GC 614.2}

You seem to be saying that the phrase - "exercised by holy angels" - in the quote above means allowing evil angels to do it. Right? Why would she compare the destruction caused by holy angels when God commands with the destruction caused by evil angels when He permits if the phrase - "exercised by holy angels" - actually means caused by evil angels?

Re: The Concept of Sin, of Punishment, Etc. [Re: Mountain Man] #92095
10/03/07 05:29 PM
10/03/07 05:29 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
TE: No one will suffer more than God during the judgment ...

MM: Please support this assertion with quotes. Thank you.

This is obvious. God is love. Love suffers when the object of love is in pain. No one loves as much as God, therefore no one suffers as much as He does.

Just imagine how painful it would be to lose one of your children for eternity, and multiply that by a billion for intensity, and billions more each child, and that's a small idea as to the immensity of God's suffering.

TE: In short, the angels are longing for justice. What this means is expalined in detail in GC, chapter 1.

MM: Do you mean to say the holy angels are merely clamoring for the sinners to see the truth so that they can suffer in proportion to their sinfulness?

No. Justice has to do with things being set right. Holy angels want things to be set right. They want a universe without evil, or injustice, or sin.

TE: Where it appears we differ is that you believe that God needs to add something external or artificial to cause the suffering of those who reject Him (such as by supernatually keeping them alive while He burns them with fire), whereas I believe the suffering comes automatically, simply by way of their being in the presence of God and having things revealed to them.

MM: To tell you the truth, I do not know precisely how it will play out, how the fire works, how God manages the whole thing.

"Satan rushes into the midst of his followers and tries to stir up the multitude to action. But fire from God out of heaven is rained upon them, and the great men, and mighty men, the noble, the poor and miserable, are all consumed together. I saw that some were quickly destroyed, while others suffered longer. They were punished according to the deeds done in the body. Some were many days consuming, and just as long as there was a portion of them unconsumed, all the sense of suffering remained. Said the angel, "The worm of life shall not die; their fire shall not be quenched as long as there is the least particle for it to prey upon." {EW 294.1}

Whether this fire is the glory of God or literal fire managed supernaturally by God or both, it doesn't change the fact that their physical and mental suffering is real and ultimately destructive. On this I suspect we can both agree.

It makes a difference as to whether their suffering is caused by God, or the result of their sin. It's the difference between whether Jesus saves us from what God will do to us if we don't do what He says, or saves us from suffering the inevitable results of sin. It impacts how we view God, and how we view His purpose.

TE: It does. I went into a lot of detail addressing this. I discussed GC 614, the surrounding paragraphs, GC chapter 1, and a lot of other things, to specifically address the points you raised.

MM: I was referring to the long GC quote and my accompanying comments. You ignored it and posted DA 764 instead with the assumption the DA quote interprets the GC quote. Here are my comments again. Please, Tom, show me why my comments below are wrong. Thank you.

You already asked this several times, and I already answered it, at least twice.(see posts #92048, #92057)

TE: Because it was not His intention to create automatons.

MM: Which is why He commanded angels to destroy sinners. What? If it wasn't His will, then whose was it?

You're jumping around too much, here, MM. Here's the original context:

Quote:

TE:Nothing can happen that God does not permit. It would be a horrendous mistake to infer from this that the things which God permits are His will.

Then you asked, "MM: Why, then, does He permit it?" to which I answered, "Because it was not His intention to create automatons." In short, God permits evil to occur because evil is a choice made by the beings He created with free will. It is not God's will that evil should happen, ever. God never intended for evil to occur. What God's will is can be seen in the person of Jesus Christ, who "went about doing good." (Acts 10:38)

Regarding GC 614, I wrote a long post about that(#92050). You are taking a single sentence of EGW's without regard either to its context, or things she wrote elsewhere (e.g. "All that man can know about God was revealed in the life and character of His Son" Where did Jesus Christ ever have an angel or angels destroy someone? Or, better yet, where was Christ in any way involved with the destruction of any person?) By taking a sentence here or there, one can "prove" anything. For example, people who want to prove that Christ took the nature of Adam before the fall use this technique by quoting from the Baker letter.

The most detailed description we have of how God, or His angels, destroy is provided in the first chapter of this same book, "The Great Controversy." God, and His angels, destroy by withdrawing.

Quote:
God keeps a reckoning with the nations. Not a sparrow falls to the ground without His notice. Those who work evil toward their fellow men, saying, How doth God know? will one day be called upon to meet long-deferred vengeance. In this age a more than common contempt is shown to God. Men have reached a point in insolence and disobedience which shows that their cup of iniquity is almost full. Many have well-nigh passed the boundary of mercy. Soon God will show that He is indeed the living God. He will say to the angels, "No longer combat Satan in his efforts to destroy. Let him work out his malignity upon the children of disobedience; for the cup of their iniquity is full. They have advanced from one degree of wickedness to another, adding daily to their lawlessness. I will no longer interfere to prevent the destroyer from doing his work." {RH, September 17, 1901 par. 8}

Notice how this brings out that God will show He is indeed a living God. It brings out how the wicked will called upon to me long deferred vengeance. How does this take place? "No longer combat Satan in his efforts to destroy."

In Scripture we read the following:

Quote:
And after these things I saw four angels standing on the four corners of the earth, holding the four winds of the earth, that the wind should not blow on the earth, nor on the sea, nor on any tree.

2And I saw another angel ascending from the east, having the seal of the living God: and he cried with a loud voice to the four angels, to whom it was given to hurt the earth and the sea,

3Saying, Hurt not the earth, neither the sea, nor the trees, till we have sealed the servants of our God in their foreheads. (Rev. 7)

If you look at verse 2, it appears that the destruction to take place is something caused by the holy angels. But both Scripture and EGW make it clear that Satan causes the destruction, and that the holy angels simply release the winds of strife. The point here is that inspiration often presents God as doing that which He permits.

The command by God to the Holy Angels is "Release!". This is how the holy angels destroy.

The angels do not act out of harmony with the character of God as revealed by Christ. When Christ was urged to destroy, by calling fire from heaven, He replied, "You know not of what spirit you are." The spirit of Christ is not to destroy, but to restore. Christ is the restorer. Satan is the destroyer.

Re: The Concept of Sin, of Punishment, Etc. [Re: Tom] #92108
10/08/07 04:37 PM
10/08/07 04:37 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
 Quote:
TE: No one will suffer more than God during the judgment ...

MM: Please support this assertion with quotes. Thank you.

This is obvious. God is love. Love suffers when the object of love is in pain. No one loves as much as God, therefore no one suffers as much as He does.

Just imagine how painful it would be to lose one of your children for eternity, and multiply that by a billion for intensity, and billions more each child, and that's a small idea as to the immensity of God's suffering.

How do you explain the following inspired insight:

In earnest, agonizing prayer they call for God to pass them not by. The kings, the mighty men, the lofty, the proud, the mean man, alike bow together under a pressure of woe, desolation, misery inexpressible; heart-anguished prayers are wrung from their lips. Mercy! mercy! Save us from the wrath of an offended God! A voice answers them with terrible distinctness, sternness, and majesty: "Because I have called, and ye refused; I have stretched out My hand, and no man regarded; but ye have set at nought all My counsel, and would none of My reproof: I also will laugh at your calamity; I will mock when your fear cometh." {2T 41.2}

Quote:
TE: In short, the angels are longing for justice. What this means is expalined in detail in GC, chapter 1.

MM: Do you mean to say the holy angels are merely clamoring for the sinners to see the truth so that they can suffer in proportion to their sinfulness?

No. Justice has to do with things being set right. Holy angels want things to be set right. They want a universe without evil, or injustice, or sin.

Justice? What does demanding double pain and punishment have to do with justice? Whatever happened to an eye for an eye?

Quote:
TE: Where it appears we differ is that you believe that God needs to add something external or artificial to cause the suffering of those who reject Him (such as by supernatually keeping them alive while He burns them with fire), whereas I believe the suffering comes automatically, simply by way of their being in the presence of God and having things revealed to them.

MM: To tell you the truth, I do not know precisely how it will play out, how the fire works, how God manages the whole thing.

"Satan rushes into the midst of his followers and tries to stir up the multitude to action. But fire from God out of heaven is rained upon them, and the great men, and mighty men, the noble, the poor and miserable, are all consumed together. I saw that some were quickly destroyed, while others suffered longer. They were punished according to the deeds done in the body. Some were many days consuming, and just as long as there was a portion of them unconsumed, all the sense of suffering remained. Said the angel, "The worm of life shall not die; their fire shall not be quenched as long as there is the least particle for it to prey upon." {EW 294.1}

Whether this fire is the glory of God or literal fire managed supernaturally by God or both, it doesn't change the fact that their physical and mental suffering is real and ultimately destructive. On this I suspect we can both agree.

It makes a difference as to whether their suffering is caused by God, or the result of their sin. It's the difference between whether Jesus saves us from what God will do to us if we don't do what He says, or saves us from suffering the inevitable results of sin. It impacts how we view God, and how we view His purpose.

God is the one who resurrects them, who gives them life, right? He is the one who displays their sins in panoramic view without censorship, without protection, right? He is the one who rains fire down upon them, right? He is the one who exposes them to His unveiled glory, right? So how can you say God just sits back and weeps while they reap the natural consequences of sinning?

Quote:
TE: In short, God permits evil to occur because evil is a choice made by the beings He created with free will. It is not God's will that evil should happen, ever. God never intended for evil to occur. What God's will is can be seen in the person of Jesus Christ, who "went about doing good." (Acts 10:38)

It is God's will therefore to permit evil to happen, is it not?

Quote:
TE: The most detailed description we have of how God, or His angels, destroy is provided in the first chapter of this same book, "The Great Controversy." God, and His angels, destroy by withdrawing.

So, you believe the following insight should be interpreted to mean holy angels withdrew their protection and allowed evil angels to work destruction, is that what you're saying? How is that any better than believing holy angels did it? It reminds me of the mafia - Jesus is the Godfather and Satan is the hit man.

Re: The Concept of Sin, of Punishment, Etc. [Re: Mountain Man] #92110
10/08/07 05:20 PM
10/08/07 05:20 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
MM:How do you explain the following inspired insight:

In earnest, agonizing prayer they call for God to pass them not by. The kings, the mighty men, the lofty, the proud, the mean man, alike bow together under a pressure of woe, desolation, misery inexpressible; heart-anguished prayers are wrung from their lips. Mercy! mercy! Save us from the wrath of an offended God! A voice answers them with terrible distinctness, sternness, and majesty: "Because I have called, and ye refused; I have stretched out My hand, and no man regarded; but ye have set at nought all My counsel, and would none of My reproof: I also will laugh at your calamity; I will mock when your fear cometh." {2T 41.2}

My reply:

This is just quoting Prov. 1:26. Why not just quote the Scripture? Why quote Ellen White quoting Scripture?

To answer your question, inspiration often presents God as doing that which He permits. For example, "God killed Saul."

The explanation of the principle I am aware of is the first chapter of "The Great Controversy" which we find many phrases speaking of God's wrath, God's retribution, and so forth, punctuated by the following:

Quote:
Their sufferings are often represented as a punishment visited upon them by the direct decree of God. It is thus that the great deceiver seeks to conceal his own work.(GC 35)

What we should bear in mind is that Satan is constantly seeking to misrepresent God's character.

Quote:
Sin originated in self-seeking. Lucifer, the covering cherub, desired to be first in heaven. He sought to gain control of heavenly beings, to draw them away from their Creator, and to win their homage to himself. Therefore he misrepresented God,
attributing to Him the desire for self-exaltation. With his own evil characteristics he sought to invest the loving Creator. Thus he deceived angels. Thus he deceived men. (DA 21, 22)

In order to rightly interpret inspired statements, we need to keep these facts in mind.

The truth about God's character was revealed in Jesus Christ.

Quote:
The earth was dark through misapprehension of God. That the gloomy shadows might be lightened, that the world might be brought back to God, Satan's deceptive power was to be broken. This could not be done by force. The exercise of force is contrary to the principles of God's government; He desires only the service of love; and love cannot be commanded; it cannot be won by force or authority. Only by love is love awakened. To know God is to love Him; His character must be manifested in contrast to the character of Satan. This work only one Being in all the universe could do. Only He who knew the height and depth of the love of God could make it known. Upon the world's dark night the Sun of Righteousness must rise, "with healing in His wings." Mal. 4:2. {DA 22.1}

Whatever inspired statements we are considering must conform to these principles. Specifically, given that all that man can know about God was revealed in the life and character of Christ, our interpretations must be in harmony with what Christ revealed in His life during His incarnation.

Page 11 of 42 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 41 42

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 04/30/24 10:34 PM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 07:26 PM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!