HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,603
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 14
kland 9
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
5 registered members (dedication, ProdigalOne, Karen Y, Kevin H, 1 invisible), 3,016 guests, and 22 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
The Ten Commandments #9299
05/22/02 01:52 PM
05/22/02 01:52 PM
J
James Saptenno  Offline OP
Charter Member
Active Member 2012
Dedicated Member
Jakarta, Indonesia
Does obedience to the ten Cs matters for our salvation?

YES or NO? And why?

In His love

James S

Re: The Ten Commandments #9300
05/22/02 04:53 PM
05/22/02 04:53 PM
Charlene Van Hook  Offline
North Carolina, USA
That all depends on, If we love God with all our hearts and our neighbor as ourselves.

The fruit of a converted heart is heartfelt love for our Master Shepherd, Jesus Christ and if we Do Love Him....we will do His biddings, in His strength. He says:John 14:15 If ye love me, keep my commandments.
John 15:10 If ye keep my commandments, ye shall abide in my love; even as I have kept my Father's commandments, and abide in his love.

1John 5:2 By this we know that we love the children of God, when we love God, and keep his commandments.

1John 5:3 For this is the love of God, that we keep his commandments: and his commandments are not grievous.

Re: The Ten Commandments #9301
05/22/02 05:11 PM
05/22/02 05:11 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA

We cannot work our way to heaven, but we will not be there if we refuse to allow heaven to work its way in us.

Asking if obedience has anything to do with our salvation is like asking if breathing has anything to do with living. How can we separate the two?

Obedeince is the fruit of our salvation. When we're connected to Christ, when we walk in the Spirit and mind of the new man, the Holy Spirit empowers us to experience fruitfulness - which includes obedience.

We do not obey the law in order to be saved, rather we are able to obey the law because we are saved in Jesus. The joy of Jesus is obedience, a life in harmony with the example of Jesus.

Jesus is our focus, not the law. The fruit of keeping our eyes on Jesus is obedience and fruitfulness. Keeping the Lord is keeping the law - but not the other way round (i.e., keeping the law is not keeping the Lord). We cannot put the law before the Lord and hope to obey the law. Jesus must be first and best of all, and then obedience will be possible to the honor and glory of God.

Re: The Ten Commandments #9302
05/22/02 05:42 PM
05/22/02 05:42 PM
Avalee  Offline
Charter Member
Active Member 2014

Most Dedicated Member
Northern CA
1 John 5:2
By this we know that we love the children of God, when we love God, and keep his commandments.

1 John 5:3
For this is the love of God, that we keep his commandments: and his commandments are not grievous.

quote:
SW
August 14, 1906
The Law of God Still in Force
Mrs. E. G. White

Christ warns his followers, "Beware of false prophets, which come to you in sheep's clothing; but inwardly they are ravening wolves." He exhorts us not to be deceived when false shepherds present their doctrines. These men tell us that the commandments of God were done away at the death of Christ. Shall we believe them, these men who claim to be sanctified, while they refuse to obey God? They say the Lord has told them that they need not keep the ten commandments; but has the Lord told them this? -- No; God does not lie. {SW, August 14, 1906 par. 1}

Satan, who is the father of lies, deceived Adam in a similar way, telling him that he need not obey God, that he would not die if he transgressed the law. But Adam fell, and by his sin he opened the floodgates of woe upon our world. {SW, August 14, 1906 par. 2}

Again, Satan told Cain that he need not follow expressly the command of God in presenting the slain lamb as an offering. Cain obeyed the voice of the deceiver; and because God did not accept his offering, while he showed his approval of Abel's offering, Cain rose up in anger and slew his brother. {SW, August 14, 1906 par. 3}

We need to know for ourselves what voice we are heeding, whether it is the voice of the true and living God, or the voice of the great apostate. Eternal life is of value to each of us, and we must take heed how we hear. We need sound doctrine, pure faith. We cannot afford to receive the sayings of men for the commandments of God. God declares, "If his children forsake my law, and walk not in my judgments; if they break my statutes, and keep not my commandments; then will I visit their transgression with the rod, and their iniquity with stripes." {SW, August 14, 1906 par. 4}

John gives the definition of sin. "Whosoever committeth sin," he says, "transgresseth also the law: for sin is the transgression of the law." And this was after the crucifixion of Christ, when, we are told, the law was abolished. When type met antitype in the death of Christ, the sacrificial offerings ceased. The ceremonial law was done away. But by the crucifixion the law of ten commandments was established. The gospel has not abrogated the law, nor detracted one tittle from its claims. It still demands holiness in every part. It is the echo of God's own voice, giving to every soul the invitation, Come up higher. Be holy, holier still. This just and holy law is the standard by which all will be judged in the last day. We need to ask ourselves the question, Are we making void the law of God, or are we standing in vindication of it? We should carefully examine our thoughts and words. {SW, August 14, 1906 par. 5}

The law has no power to pardon transgression. Repentance toward God and faith toward our Lord Jesus Christ must be exercised. As the sinner looks into this divine mirror, he will see the exceeding sinfulness of sin, and will be driven to Christ. Godly sorrow will result from a realization of his frailty and depravity. His faith in the atoning sacrifice will be based on the sacred promise of full and complete pardon in Christ. {SW, August 14, 1906 par. 6}

But every one who has this hope of pardon through Christ, must "purify himself, even as he is pure." His life thenceforth must be governed by a new principle. The influence of a gospel hope will not lead the sinner to look upon the salvation of Christ as a matter of free grace, while he continues to live in transgression of the law of God. {SW, August 14, 1906 par. 7}

Let us earnestly inquire, What is truth? We cannot afford to build on a sandy foundation. The doctrines revealed in the word of God are to be the foundation of our faith. It is of the utmost importance that we understand, as far as God has given us capacity for understanding, the principles upon which his government rests; for the principles which we believe and receive into the heart will govern and control the actions. The more clear the understanding of the truth which is in Jesus, the more spiritual will be the religious life, the more holy the affections. {SW, August 14, 1906 par. 8}

Mike you are right. We love Jesus first and then we have the fruit of that true love..which is obeying Him and His Commandments from a heart full of love.

Re: The Ten Commandments #9303
05/22/02 06:56 PM
05/22/02 06:56 PM
Avalee  Offline
Charter Member
Active Member 2014

Most Dedicated Member
Northern CA

YES or NO? And why?

quote:
Amazing Grace
Page 134
Chap. 126
Terms of the Covenant

If ye will obey my voice indeed, and keep my covenant, then ye shall be a peculiar treasure unto me above all people. Ex. 19:5

In the beginning, God gave His law to mankind as a means of attaining happiness and eternal life.

The ten commandments, Thou shalt, and Thou shalt not, are ten promises, assured to us if we render obedience to the law governing the universe. "If ye love me, keep my commandments" (John 14:15). Here is the sum and substance of the law of God. The terms of salvation for every son and daughter of Adam are here outlined. . . .

That law of ten precepts of the greatest love that can be presented to man is the voice of God from heaven speaking to the soul in promise, "This do, and you will not come under the dominion and control of Satan." There is not a negative in that law, although it may appear thus. It is DO and Live.

The condition of eternal life is now just what it always has been--just what it was in Paradise before the fall of our first parents--perfect obedience to the law of God, perfect righteousness. If eternal life were granted on any condition short of this, then the happiness of the whole universe would be imperiled. The way would be open for sin, with all its train of woe and misery, to be immortalized.

Christ does not lessen the claims of the law. In unmistakable language He presents obedience to it as the condition of eternal life--the same condition that was required of Adam before his fall. . . . The requirement under the covenant of grace is just as broad as the requirement made in Eden--harmony with God's law, which is holy, just, and good.

The standard of character presented in the Old Testament is the same that is presented in the New Testament. This standard is not one to which we cannot attain. In every command or injunction that God gives there is a promise, the most positive, underlying the command. God has made provision that we may become like unto Him, and He will accomplish this for all who do not interpose a perverse will and thus frustrate His grace.

The terms of salvation for every son and daughter of Adam are here outlined. . . .

James this sure answers your question very clear. So yes, obedience to God's Ten Commandments do matter for our salvation..they matter very much.

Re: The Ten Commandments #9304
05/23/02 02:40 AM
05/23/02 02:40 AM
Charlene Van Hook  Offline
North Carolina, USA
Amen Mike and Avalee,

There is only one answer to this question.....a resounding YES.

Thank you Jesus for your promises.

Re: The Ten Commandments #9305
05/23/02 03:50 AM
05/23/02 03:50 AM
D
Dora  Offline
Charter Member
Active Member 2013
Veteran Member
USA
Mike, I really liked your post of today, May 22. The truth could be stated no more clearly, to my thinking, than you did in that post. I know that sometimes there is need for more explanation, but, often if it is too long, by the time I get to the end, I may have lost my first thought.

Your post covered the question quite adequately, I felt, and in short, well thought out, and explanatory statements. Thank you for sharing.

Re: The Ten Commandments #9306
05/23/02 04:30 PM
05/23/02 04:30 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Thank you. Jesus is so awesome, and I am personally thankful, thoroughly thankful, that in Jesus obedience to the holy, just and good law is possible. God is great, and I love Him with all my heart.

Re: The Ten Commandments #9307
05/23/02 04:44 PM
05/23/02 04:44 PM
Dedreic  Offline
Posting New Member
Fredericton, NB
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Lowe:
Thank you. Jesus is so awesome, and I am personally thankful, thoroughly thankful, that in Jesus obedience to the holy, just and good law is possible. God is great, and I love Him with all my heart.

Hi Mike,

Just how do you show people that the law of God is still binding... it is a difficult task (I have found anyway, to show that the Law of God is FOREVER!!) What Bible texts would you use, besides the ones previously mentioned in John 14.

Re: The Ten Commandments #9308
05/23/02 05:26 PM
05/23/02 05:26 PM
Dedreic  Offline
Posting New Member
Fredericton, NB
I'm sorry, I should have invited everyone for comments. What Bible texts would you use to illustrate that we are required to keep the 10 commandment Law? and without bringing in the Great Controversy. Some people are not ready for that... straight up from the Bible, what texts would you use?

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 04/28/24 11:09 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 04/21/24 06:41 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by dedication. 04/29/24 07:16 PM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by ProdigalOne. 04/29/24 04:47 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by dedication. 04/01/24 07:48 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!