HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,600
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 14
kland 9
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Member Spotlight
Kevin H
Kevin H
New York
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (Karen Y, dedication, ProdigalOne, Kevin H, Daryl, 1 invisible), 3,165 guests, and 20 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 9 of 18 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 17 18
Re: Is the story of the world wide flood a parabel or reality? [Re: fun2believe] #95339
02/06/08 07:40 PM
02/06/08 07:40 PM
Darius  Offline
Dedicated Member
Muncie, IN
If sperm that did not fertilize the egg did not die we could have had a bit of a traffic jam in Eve's fallopian tubes. And everyone knows that hair consists of dead cells. It is obvious that the death spoken of in the texts Rosangela is using would be senseless death such as we hear about everyday.

Darius A. Lecointe, J.D., Ph.D.
No weapon formed against me shall prosper.
Re: Is the story of the world wide flood a parabel or reality? [Re: Darius] #95341
02/06/08 08:03 PM
02/06/08 08:03 PM
F
fun2believe  Offline OP
California, USA
What about the death of the plants we eat? Were the plant's not alive before we ate them? And by eating fruit, you are eating the unborn (not grown seed) of that plant.

Should we discuss weather plants are alive or not? Or does the rule only apply to some types of life and not others. Because I don't recall the bible telling me the difference.

And are there different types of death? What kind of death's are there? I only know of one type of death. How many types are there?

Now, you might be of the belief that God didn't want us to die, but how can you argue that death was not planned? He gave us the option, BEFORE sin ever happened! How is that NOT planned death? He realized that death could happen, He had to have some other choice for us, other than life, since He had already give us that. Life and death go hand in hand.

We all fight death so much, maybe because we don't understand it. None of us has died, so no one can talk from experience. Maybe there's something about death that God has not revealed to us yet? I'm not pushing for death, I don't want to die, life is cool. But death is a part of the plan, for sure in my eyes. I am glad God gave us death, so we can appreciate life. If all you ever knew was the color blue, you'd have no idea how great of a color red is.

Without Satan, you wouldn't fully appreciate how great God is!

Without death, how could you really appreciate life?

Re: Is the story of the world wide flood a parabel or reality? [Re: fun2believe] #95354
02/06/08 11:43 PM
02/06/08 11:43 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
fun2believe,

So your idea is that God finds satisfaction in death, and that God and death go hand in hand. Well, of course you are entitled to your opinion.
The fact that God foresaw the existence of sin and death is completely different from believing that death was part of God's original plan. Creating a world adapted for death would mean that God decided to support the devil's agenda. I don't think this was the case. What happens is that God overrules evil for good.
The Bible says that death is the last enemy to be destroyed (1 Cor. 15:26). And one of the most significant promises God gives is that, in the new earth, “death shall be no more, neither shall there be mourning nor crying nor pain any more, for the former things have passed away" (Rev. 21:4).

Re: Is the story of the world wide flood a parabel or reality? [Re: Darius] #95355
02/06/08 11:53 PM
02/06/08 11:53 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
 Quote:
If sperm that did not fertilize the egg did not die we could have had a bit of a traffic jam in Eve's fallopian tubes. And everyone knows that hair consists of dead cells.

Darius, you are presupposing that the way things happen today is the way they happened before sin.
What happens is that, while the cells within the strand of hair are dead, the hair root is alive, for it makes the hair grow. The fact that the cells within the strand are dead is good, otherwise the hair couldn't be cut without causing pain. But who said that perfect beings must have their hair cut? Do you imagine the angels having their hair cut?

Re: Is the story of the world wide flood a parabel or reality? [Re: fun2believe] #95356
02/06/08 11:59 PM
02/06/08 11:59 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
Death is the result of life. For without life, there can be no death.

Do you really think this is sound logic?

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Is the story of the world wide flood a parabel or reality? [Re: Tom] #95357
02/07/08 12:04 AM
02/07/08 12:04 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
Now, you might be of the belief that God didn't want us to die, but how can you argue that death was not planned? He gave us the option, BEFORE sin ever happened! How is that NOT planned death? He realized that death could happen, He had to have some other choice for us, other than life, since He had already give us that. Life and death go hand in hand.

I agree completely that God realized that death could happen. However, because it could happen doesn't imply it had to. The choice we were given was the choice to sin. Death comes from sin. If Adam and Eve had chosen not to sin, they wouldn't have died.

The reason the death was not planned is because the sin was not planned. That is, God realized it was possible for Adam and Eve to sin, but God did not intend or plan that that should happen. They chose to sin *contrary* to God's plans and intentions.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Is the story of the world wide flood a parabel or reality? [Re: Rosangela] #95367
02/07/08 09:20 AM
02/07/08 09:20 AM
V
vastergotland  Offline
Active Member 2011
3500+ Member
Sweden
 Originally Posted By: Rosangela

Darius, you are presupposing that the way things happen today is the way they happened before sin.
Is not the real problem here that we have no way of imagining how things would happen if the happened in some genuinely different way than they happen now. Maybe no lives will be lost on earth recreated, that is possible, but for us to say that we know what that would acctually look like is just foolishness. Nothing in our experience here can give any hints at what a world without lost life would look like.
 Quote:

What happens is that, while the cells within the strand of hair are dead, the hair root is alive, for it makes the hair grow. The fact that the cells within the strand are dead is good, otherwise the hair couldn't be cut without causing pain. But who said that perfect beings must have their hair cut? Do you imagine the angels having their hair cut?
If you start to argue down this path, then hair and nails must be done away with, skin as we know it must be done away with, the stomach and intestine system must be entierly remodeled. Maybe God can keep his original design of the brain, perhaps. What may look like a simple argument about wether one will have to cut ones hair or not swiftly turns out to be an argument about God taking us and remaking us into something which is not a human body by any definitions now known. This is conceviable if one has the view that humans are souls which inhabits bodies, where God could easily take the human from an earthly body and place him or her in a new and different body. With the adventist view that there is no such thing as a human without a body, this is just foolishness as well.

Galatians 2
21 I do not frustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness come by the law, then Christ is dead in vain.

It is so hazardous to take here a little and there a little. If you put the right little's together you can make the bible teach anything you wish. //Graham Maxwell
Re: Is the story of the world wide flood a parabel or reality? [Re: vastergotland] #95370
02/07/08 01:50 PM
02/07/08 01:50 PM
Darius  Offline
Dedicated Member
Muncie, IN
Dogma is so important to us that we have lost sight of reason. I don't know what to say because this is really sad.

Darius A. Lecointe, J.D., Ph.D.
No weapon formed against me shall prosper.
Re: Is the story of the world wide flood a parabel or reality? [Re: Darius] #95381
02/07/08 06:34 PM
02/07/08 06:34 PM
F
fun2believe  Offline OP
California, USA
dog·ma /ˈdɔgmə, ˈdɒg-/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[dawg-muh, dog-] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–noun, plural -mas, -ma·ta /-mətə/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[-muh-tuh] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation. 1. a system of principles or tenets, as of a church.
2. a specific tenet or doctrine authoritatively laid down, as by a church: the dogma of the Assumption.
3. prescribed doctrine: political dogma.
4. a settled or established opinion, belief, or principle.

So sad, too bad. It's clear to me (and I'm sure to others both on here and around the world) that the SDA chruch is more concerned with keeping the letter of the law, than actually following the law. It's SO important to know all the rules, we over-scrutinize the words in the bible, we check and re-check what ellen said. We spend so much time making sure others are following OUR rules, that we can't even figure out what type of person OTHERS see us as.

IF you could all just take a minute, and step back. Look objectively at the church we have created. Is it REALLY bringing people closer to christ? Are people more happy inside the church than outside of it? We certainly don't NEED the church, God even say's so. So why have it? I think it's fine if it does something good(like bring people to Christ), but it's clear it's doing the opposite.

Look at the falling numbers. Look at all the scandel and controversy. You want to say that's it's because it's the "end time" and we are getting closer to heaven. But are we? With the way this chruch is run, and the beliefs people in it push upon others (yeah, that's right, push.) When was the last time you went to a different chruch, and presented like a lay person? Try it, see what you find. You'll find people pushing their beliefs and DOGMA's onto you, not offering you the chance to decide for yourself. God does not do that to us, why does this church?

God gave us this ability to reason. Reasoning is not a result of Sin. God gave us the ability to reason, and even demanded it of us. He gave us choice, and the ability to look at BOTH sides of the coin. Why can't this chruch do that? How long will we keep driving people away from the Light? A chruch is only as strong as it's members (the way a chain is only as strong as it's weakest link), and it's the member's that make up the chruch. So this church is weak and narrowsighted, because the people REFUSE to use the skills that God gave us.

Jesus said to take the narrow path, but it sure is hard to navigate that path, when we keep looking down into our rule books on how to navigate, instead of using the perfectly good eyes and mind that we have. Maybe we've missed the path all together, all the while looking into books for the path. Not all maps are correct, and when it get's dark outside, sometimes it's better to turn off the flashlight, put away the map, and use our other sense's to help us find the way.

And when ANY one of you is perfect, you let me know, because then I'll have an example here on earth of perfection, and I'll know you are filled with the Lord. But untill then, how about we all just try to find the path to take, the lesser traveled one.

Re: Is the story of the world wide flood a parabel or reality? [Re: fun2believe] #95384
02/07/08 07:15 PM
02/07/08 07:15 PM
I
Inga  Offline
British Columbia, Canada
I'd be interested in some explanation from those who believe that the Genesis account of a world-wide flood is a parable.

In a parable, the main actors/actions signify something different than in the story. For example, in the parable of the Sower that sowed in different places, the Sower is Christ (often working through individuals), the different kinds of grounds are the hearts, etc.

So in the "parable of the world-wide flood," what's what?

Page 9 of 18 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 17 18

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 04/28/24 11:09 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 04/21/24 06:41 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 04/28/24 09:29 AM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by dedication. 04/01/24 07:48 PM
Time Is Short!
by ProdigalOne. 03/29/24 10:50 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!