HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,614
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 18
kland 9
Daryl 4
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
Daryl
Daryl
Nova Scotia, Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
5 registered members (dedication, Karen Y, Kevin H, Daryl, 1 invisible), 3,009 guests, and 22 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 16 of 38 1 2 14 15 16 17 18 37 38
Re: Can sinning be overcome.... [Re: asygo] #97421
03/29/08 03:09 AM
03/29/08 03:09 AM
A
Aaron  Offline
TN
No smokers or drinkers in heaven? I was just making a point that a person is held accountable for what he considers wrong. This might be different for different people.

Re: Can sinning be overcome.... [Re: Tom] #97425
03/29/08 01:17 PM
03/29/08 01:17 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
 Originally Posted By: Tom Ewall
 Quote:
And again you have failed to answer to the questions. Or, are you refusing to answer them? If so, no problem. You are entitled. But it would be nice if you answered them.

I pointed out to you that EGW said that polygamy was not sanctioned by God even once. Why are you not understanding that this answers your question? If she's correct on this, then obviously polygamy is not something which God ordained.

Quote:
Are there times when Jesus doesn't consider it polygamy, times when He doesn't consider it incest? Are there times when permitting polygamy isn't sanctioning polygamy?

Polygamy, like any sin, is considered differently if it is done in ignorance or not. Polygamy is never considered incest. Permitting polygamy does not mean the same thing as sanctioning it. Permitting it is what God did in the OT. Not sanctioning it was what He did in the OT and now as well.

He permitted it by winking at it. Sanctioning it would mean approving of it.

But why did God wink at it?

And, why did He make a law requiring a man to marry his brother's widow?

Also, did God wink at incest in the beginning? Or, did He have a choice?

Re: Can sinning be overcome.... [Re: Mountain Man] #97426
03/29/08 01:19 PM
03/29/08 01:19 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Tom, can you name a sinful behavior Jesus winks at nowadays?

PS - We both agree polygamy isn't a sinful behavior Jesus winks at in cases involving properly prepared and baptized SDA church members, so, can we eliminate it as an example?

Re: Can sinning be overcome.... [Re: Aaron] #97428
03/29/08 01:21 PM
03/29/08 01:21 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
 Originally Posted By: Aaron
Is smoking or drinking a sin? If yes and you do it without feeling guilty then Id say that was a sin that God winks at today.

Aaron, does this apply to people who were properly prepared for baptism? By properly prepared I have in mind what Jesus said at the end of Matthew - the Gospel Commission.

Re: Can sinning be overcome.... [Re: Skylynx] #97429
03/29/08 01:28 PM
03/29/08 01:28 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
 Originally Posted By: Skylynx
Can we become perfect, without sin, in this life? If you say, yes, then you have to believe that either you, or some folks among us, have actually become perfect. That would be quite a pronouncement indeed..."Hey, everybody, I have overcome every sin and am now perfect in the eyes of God!" Do any of you know, or ever have met, anyone who has actually become perfect? Do you live close enough to him/her to know that for certain? So, the next question is, What is perfection? Does that just mean the major Ten Commandments or the "little" personality faults and foibles like being sloppy, or exacting, or haughty, or stingey, etc. If you really want to know whether or not someone is perfect, would be a good idea to ask the wife or the co-worker at the job.

Jesus didn't say, "Once you become perfect you will never sin again."

Being perfect is conditional. Jesus said, "Whosoever abideth in [me] does not sin." (1 John 3:1-10) Paul wrote, "Walk in the Spirit and ye shall not fulfill the lusts of the flesh." (Gal 5:16)

So, the condition of not sinning is abiding in Jesus, walking in the Spirit and mind of the new man. So long as this is happening a person "does not" and "cannot" commit a known sin.

Which, of course, is good news!

Re: Can sinning be overcome.... [Re: Mountain Man] #97431
03/29/08 01:36 PM
03/29/08 01:36 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
 Originally Posted By: Skylynx
If you really want to know whether or not someone is perfect, would be a good idea to ask the wife or the co-worker at the job.

This is true, to some degree. But what about Jesus' family members? What would they have said about Him? In other words, human opinions and insights are not always reliable.

It is better to believe the promises of God. "Whosoever abideth in him sinneth not." This is the testimony of God - and it is true.

Re: Can sinning be overcome.... [Re: Mountain Man] #97445
03/29/08 06:37 PM
03/29/08 06:37 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
Tom, can you name a sinful behavior Jesus winks at nowadays?

PS - We both agree polygamy isn't a sinful behavior Jesus winks at in cases involving properly prepared and baptized SDA church members, so, can we eliminate it as an example?

I don't think focusing solely or primarily on behavior is very beneficial. If one is totally off on one's view of what God is like, nice behavior won't avail. Consider the Pharisees.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Can sinning be overcome.... [Re: Tom] #97454
03/29/08 08:47 PM
03/29/08 08:47 PM
I
Inga  Offline
British Columbia, Canada
[Inga here just dropping in for a moment.... we're in New Mexico with our son.]

I just want to affirm Tom's statement below.

Believing one is perfect is a self-focused belief.

Believing that perfection is possible may be either God-focused (believing that God can do what He promised) or self-focused (believing I'll get there one of these days).

Originally Posted By: Tom Ewall
MM, there's a big difference between believing that perfection is possible, and believing that one is perfect.

Re: Can sinning be overcome.... [Re: Mountain Man] #97455
03/29/08 08:52 PM
03/29/08 08:52 PM
I
Inga  Offline
British Columbia, Canada
MM, the trouble I have with your statement below is that both the "knowing" and the "hoping" are self-focused.

The religion of Christ takes our focus off self and on Jesus. We can have the assurance that He who began a good work in us will surely bring it to completion. Period.

In that assurance, we can go forth and do His work on this earth. (No wondering or even thinking about our perfection.)

Originally Posted By: Mountain Man
Tom, I know what you mean. Knowing you are perfect and hoping you are perfect are worlds apart. John wrote, "These things have I written unto you that believe on the name of the Son of God; that ye may know that ye have eternal life, and that ye may believe on the name of the Son of God." It is far better to know you are perfect than to go around wondering and doubting. Knowing is the stuff of faith; doubting is the stuff of disbelief. "Great peace have they which love thy law: and nothing shall offend them."

SC 47, 48
Desires for goodness and holiness are right as far as they go; but if you stop here, they will avail nothing. Many will be lost while hoping and desiring to be Christians. They do not come to the point of yielding the will to God. They do not now choose to be Christians. {SC 47.2}

Through the right exercise of the will, an entire change may be made in your life. By yielding up your will to Christ, you ally yourself with the power that is above all principalities and powers. You will have strength from above to hold you steadfast, and thus through constant surrender to God you will be enabled to live the new life, even the life of faith. {SC 48.1}

Your subsequent response to Tom is similarly self-focused:
 Quote:
Tom, please read the quotes I posted above (addressed to Thomas). Notice how John uses the word "know". Born again believers, who are actively and aggressively walking in the Spirit and mind of the new man, "know" they are being like Jesus. We call it the "blessed assurance".

My "blessed assurance" is that Christ's grace is all-sufficient, not in my "actively and aggressively walking int he Spirit" and "knowing" I'm "being like Jesus."

IMO, as long as I'm focused on my state of perfection or lack of it, I'm exactly where Satan wants me -- with my focus on self rather than on Christ.

In reading further in the thread,I continue to see this focus on "my perfection," and I believe that focus in itself prevents the kind of growth in perfection God wants us to have.

Jesus focused on the Father and His work in this world.

If we wish to be His disciples, our focus must be the same -- off self and on Christ and His work. He'll take care of the "perfection," just as He promised to do.

As nearly as I can tell, västergötland are pretty much on the same page in several areas. ;\) And I agree with Arnold's statements too.

Even Tom falls into the trap when he writes:
 Quote:
Possibly it may be the case that one thinks one is perfect in Christ without actually being perfect in Christ.

The seriousness of imperfections has to do with the willingness to deal with them when the truth is pointed out by the Holy Spirit. Everyone has imperfections, but the true follower of Christ will respond to the Holy Spirit when these imperfections are pointed out.

If we are intent on following Christ in loving obedience, He will take care of our perfection! It is not to be our focus. He is to be our focus!

Last edited by Inga; 03/29/08 09:32 PM.
Re: Can sinning be overcome.... [Re: Inga] #97456
03/29/08 09:20 PM
03/29/08 09:20 PM
I
Inga  Offline
British Columbia, Canada
MM, I'm wondering whether you would equate a lack of "iniquity" with "perfection." (Your posts seem to indicate a relationship.)
~~~~~~~~~
By the way, folks, I believe that the story of Balaam's attempt to curse Israel is relevant to this topic.

Read Numbers 23 and tell me what you think.

Note especially verse 21:
"He hath not beheld iniquity in Jacob, neither hath he seen perverseness in Israel"

Page 16 of 38 1 2 14 15 16 17 18 37 38

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 04/30/24 10:34 PM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!