HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,619
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 21
kland 9
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
ProdigalOne
ProdigalOne
Alberta, Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
5 registered members (Karen Y, dedication, Nadi, 2 invisible), 3,500 guests, and 16 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 17 of 38 1 2 15 16 17 18 19 37 38
Re: Can sinning be overcome.... [Re: Inga] #97458
03/29/08 10:24 PM
03/29/08 10:24 PM
V
vastergotland  Offline
Active Member 2011
3500+ Member
Sweden
 Originally Posted By: Inga

Your subsequent response to Tom is similarly self-focused:
 Quote:
Tom, please read the quotes I posted above (addressed to Thomas). Notice how John uses the word "know". Born again believers, who are actively and aggressively walking in the Spirit and mind of the new man, "know" they are being like Jesus. We call it the "blessed assurance".

My "blessed assurance" is that Christ's grace is all-sufficient, not in my "actively and aggressively walking int he Spirit" and "knowing" I'm "being like Jesus."

IMO, as long as I'm focused on my state of perfection or lack of it, I'm exactly where Satan wants me -- with my focus on self rather than on Christ.

In reading further in the thread,I continue to see this focus on "my perfection," and I believe that focus in itself prevents the kind of growth in perfection God wants us to have.

Jesus focused on the Father and His work in this world.

If we wish to be His disciples, our focus must be the same -- off self and on Christ and His work. He'll take care of the "perfection," just as He promised to do.

As nearly as I can tell, västergötland are pretty much on the same page in several areas. ;\) And I agree with Arnold's statements too.

Even Tom falls into the trap when he writes:
 Quote:
Possibly it may be the case that one thinks one is perfect in Christ without actually being perfect in Christ.

The seriousness of imperfections has to do with the willingness to deal with them when the truth is pointed out by the Holy Spirit. Everyone has imperfections, but the true follower of Christ will respond to the Holy Spirit when these imperfections are pointed out.

If we are intent on following Christ in loving obedience, He will take care of our perfection! It is not to be our focus. He is to be our focus!
Yep, I agree with what you say here Inga. Words to be considered by all reading this thread.

Galatians 2
21 I do not frustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness come by the law, then Christ is dead in vain.

It is so hazardous to take here a little and there a little. If you put the right little's together you can make the bible teach anything you wish. //Graham Maxwell
Re: Can sinning be overcome.... [Re: vastergotland] #97465
03/29/08 11:58 PM
03/29/08 11:58 PM
D
djconklin  Offline
S. St. Paul, MN
 Quote:
Your subsequent response to Tom is similarly self-focused:
 Quote:

Tom, please read the quotes I posted above (addressed to Thomas). Notice how John uses the word "know". Born again believers, who are actively and aggressively walking in the Spirit and mind of the new man, "know" they are being like Jesus. We call it the "blessed assurance".

Where is the "self-focus"?

David J. Conklin

When the critics have been proven to be so wrong, on so many points, and some are quite simple, why should we listen to them on anything?
Re: Can sinning be overcome.... [Re: djconklin] #97466
03/30/08 12:13 AM
03/30/08 12:13 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
Inga:Even Tom falls into the trap when he writes:

Tom:Possibly it may be the case that one thinks one is perfect in Christ without actually being perfect in Christ.

The seriousness of imperfections has to do with the willingness to deal with them when the truth is pointed out by the Holy Spirit. Everyone has imperfections, but the true follower of Christ will respond to the Holy Spirit when these imperfections are pointed out.

Ok, I'll bite. You've got me curious. The trap is being self-focused, right? Where did I fall into this?

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Can sinning be overcome.... [Re: Tom] #97488
03/30/08 04:30 PM
03/30/08 04:30 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
 Originally Posted By: Tom Ewall
 Quote:
Tom, can you name a sinful behavior Jesus winks at nowadays?

PS - We both agree polygamy isn't a sinful behavior Jesus winks at in cases involving properly prepared and baptized SDA church members, so, can we eliminate it as an example?

I don't think focusing solely or primarily on behavior is very beneficial. If one is totally off on one's view of what God is like, nice behavior won't avail. Consider the Pharisees.

Tom, the judgment is all about behavior. We cannot dismiss it so easily. By their fruits ye shall know them. Jesus will reward us in judgment according to our words and works. Behavior matters, therefore, faith in Jesus is key. The Holy Spirit labors earnestly to empower us to be like Jesus, to cease sinning, to mature in the fruits of the Spirit.

From what you've posted here and there I am beginning to believe you think the Holy Spirit waits to reveal to us certain sinful behaviors until we are ready to crucify them, that we are blinded to them until the Holy Spirit makes us aware of them.

If this is truly what you believe, if I haven't misunderstood your belief, then surely there are inspired passages to support it, right? If so, then would you mind posting some of them?

Also, can you name some sinful behaviors a born again believer, who is abiding in Jesus, who is walking in the Spirit and mind of the new man, can commit without realizing it misrepresents Jesus, without realizing it offends people around them, without realizing it causes people to conclude Christianity is a joke?

Re: Can sinning be overcome.... [Re: Mountain Man] #97497
03/30/08 05:05 PM
03/30/08 05:05 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
I don't think the issue is as simple as you are laying out. I agree with your point that faith is key. Given that faith is key, and faith is our heart response to God's love, it seems to me that our understanding God and His love is what's important.

To know God is to love Him. As we come to understand His true character, we will reflect that character in our own lives. By beholding, we become changed.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Can sinning be overcome.... [Re: asygo] #97500
03/30/08 06:30 PM
03/30/08 06:30 PM
S
Skylynx  Offline
Posting New Member
Florida, USA
Okay, I'm seeing this about perfection in a way I havn't before. When God says we can become perfect (have no faults, sinful acts in our lives anymore, at all) He is saying it is possible; but, in fact, no one has actually accomplished that up to this day except Christ. Is that the correct meaning? In other words, perfection is possible theoretically, but hasn't actually happened in anyone, so far. Is that right?

Re: Can sinning be overcome.... [Re: Skylynx] #97504
03/31/08 12:32 AM
03/31/08 12:32 AM
D
djconklin  Offline
S. St. Paul, MN
What about Enoch?

David J. Conklin

When the critics have been proven to be so wrong, on so many points, and some are quite simple, why should we listen to them on anything?
Re: Can sinning be overcome.... [Re: djconklin] #97508
03/31/08 01:46 AM
03/31/08 01:46 AM
S
Skylynx  Offline
Posting New Member
Florida, USA
The Bible says he walked with God, but was he actually perfect or did he have the perfect relationship of being covered by Christ's righteousness while on the journey to perfection?

Re: Can sinning be overcome.... [Re: Skylynx] #97534
03/31/08 03:12 PM
03/31/08 03:12 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Inga, yes, our focus should be on Jesus - Christ and Him crucified. Isn't that what John meant when he wrote - "Whosoever abideth in him sinneth not." If they are not sinning, what are they doing instead? Even Jesus referred to the fact He did not sin. Not sinning is part of being perfect. Not sinning is important.

But it is also true that being perfect includes growing in grace and maturing in the fruits of the Spirit. Not sinning is not righteousness. Righteousness is right doing. It means being like Jesus, growing in grace and maturing in the fruits of the Spirit.

Jesus was born perfect, but He also became perfect. So too, we are born again perfect, and as we grow in grace and mature in the fruits of the Spirit we become perfect. Like Jesus, we begin perfect and we become perfect - "more and more unto the perfect day."

Eternity isn't long enough to exhaust our ability and potential to become more and more like Jesus, to grow in grace, to mature in the fruits of the Spirit. We do not become more and more like Jesus by becoming less and less like Satan. Instead, we become more and more like Jesus by growing more and more in grace, by maturing more and more in the fruits of the Spirit.

And, the good news is, we will never stop becoming more and more like Jesus. Throughout eternity there always be room for us to grow and mature. But such growth does not involve gradually outgrowing sinful behavior. The opposite is true. Such growth, which begins here and continues throughout eternity, involves becoming more and more like Jesus.

Do you see what I mean? Being perfect begins now, when we experience the miracle of rebirth, and we will continue to become more and more perfect throughout eternity. In essence, therefore, there is no stopping place, no point we reach when we're finally as perfect as we can be.

Again, not sinning is not the goal; instead, being like Jesus is the goal. Yes, in order to be like Jesus we must behold Him, we must spend quality time with Him. We must not go around focusing on not sinning; instead, we must fellowship with Jesus moment by moment. Fighting the good fight of faith means striving against all odds to abide in Jesus. Those who do this do not and cannot commit a known sin - they are being perfect and becoming perfect.

Now, the question remains - What constitutes an unknown sin? What is unChristlike behavior? What does it mean to be unlike Jesus? What do people act like when they're not abiding in Jesus? What do they act like when they are abiding in Jesus?

2 Corinthians
13:5 Examine yourselves, whether ye be in the faith; prove your own selves. Know ye not your own selves, how that Jesus Christ is in you, except ye be reprobates?

Re: Can sinning be overcome.... [Re: Mountain Man] #97535
03/31/08 03:16 PM
03/31/08 03:16 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Skylynx, please read my post above to Inga. Does that answer your question?

Page 17 of 38 1 2 15 16 17 18 19 37 38

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/05/24 05:39 AM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 04/30/24 10:34 PM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by dedication. 05/05/24 05:07 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!