HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,631
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 20
kland 5
Daryl 2
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
Daryl
Daryl
Nova Scotia, Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
4 registered members (Karen Y, Daryl, dedication, Kevin H), 3,380 guests, and 9 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 7 of 12 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 11 12
Re: "We Have No Sin" [Re: Mountain Man] #97598
04/01/08 04:28 PM
04/01/08 04:28 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
 Quote:
Dean Hunt (DH) wrote: Without my belief and the chruch, what is left you ask? The rest of you life I say. The chance to think on your own. The opportunity to be free from someone else's idea of what is right for you, for you own unique and individual life. The chance to believe in yourself, and be proud of the things you've done, not shamed for all the things you've done wrong in someone else's eyes. The chance to no longer live a life driven by fear.

Do you obey the laws of the land? If so, then are you truly free and free of fear?

Or, do you disregard the laws of the land? If so, have you ever been caught and imprisoned?

Quote:
DH: So they control you by keeping you scared to death, literally. If you don't choose us, then it's death. So fear is the driving motivator of christianity, as well as most other prominent religions. I don't want to live out of fear, and I would never want to worship anybody/anything that esposes that. I live with free will, and as soon as that's taken, I'll gladly end this life, no worries. There's nothing about eternal life that is enticing to me. I don't think that is free will. If I'm saved (as in the christian way of thinking), and go to heaven to live forever, I no longer have free will. I can't kill my self, I can't stop living, ever! You might say "you wouldn't want to stop living!", but you've never lived for a 100 quadtrillion years, so you don't know how boring it's going to get. And besides, that's just such a silly notion, there's nothing, nothing at all that show's it's eternal, it's just our driving ambition as the most dominent species to ever hit this planet to continue on.

Do you fear death? If not, why not?

If you were imprisoned for breaking the laws of the land, would you kill yourself?

Are you happily married? Do you love your children? Do you enjoy spending quality time with your spouse and children? If so, do you really think spending eternity in heavenly bliss with your loved ones would be boring?

Quote:
DH: For me it's the control, the spoon fed info, the rules that have been set up by someone else that I wish to save people from. There's no perfect world, there's no utopia where all are completely free, and are not oppressed in any way, but there's sure way more to offer than living out of fear. I want people to look inside themselves and see how great they are. To do what's right for them, not by someone else. There's nothing wrong with a group of people in for some common cause, but it should never be done by coercion or out of fear for loss of life and loved ones.

Where on this planet are people living as you believe? Where on this planet can people live according to the dictates of their own conscience? Is it even possible? Wouldn’t it require everyone to believe in and live by the same set of rules and standards? Otherwise, what if my standards of right and wrong conflict with your standards of right and wrong? Who would be right - me or you?

Quote:
DH: I want to help someone get out of this system. I made it out, out of 5 days a week of sda school, 24 hours of sabbath, only knowing and keeping up with those who espouse the same views. I want people to be happy to be alive, and enjoy the few precious years we have on this planet. I want to offer positive encouragement, and not shame you or scare you with fear. Maybe if that's what religion was about, more people would join, but then that's no way to control people, so that wouldn't work very well either, would it?

So far, though, all you have offered is the absence of Adventism. You haven’t offered anything better. Just because I attend public schools, just because I work on the Sabbath, just because I refuse to believe the 28 Fundamental Beliefs, just because I do not believe Jesus will reunite me and my deceased loved ones and live eternally in heavenly bliss – how is my life any better?

If you hope to save me from religion or Adventism you're going to have to make your offer more attractive. For example, if you bought a remote tropical island somewhere far away from people who disagree with your standards of right and wrong, and if it was governed in such a way that guarantees me no one will mess up my mojo, then I might be willing to accept your offer.

But, is such a thing even possible? Are humans capable of living peaceably with one another? If so, show me the proof. When and where has it happened? By what standards of right and wrong did they live? Who decided what was right and wrong?

If it hasn't happened yet, why not? Why do you think people have never been able to live peaceably with one another?

Re: "We Have No Sin" [Re: Mountain Man] #97599
04/01/08 04:33 PM
04/01/08 04:33 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
 Quote:
MM: God is love is not the same thing as love is God. Love is an active principle in the hearts of those who obey Jesus - but love is not a god. Love is an attribute of God. Perhaps it is more accurate to say - God is loving.

A: I think that's just semantics. Bottom line: Know God, know love; no God, no love.

I grew up in California during the Hippie Movement - love, peace, joy, dope, and free sex. We often cited Jesus and the Bible to support our beliefs, especially what we believed about free sex. We called it love. I assumed Jesus advocated free sex because He spoke so much about love. It wasn't long, though, before I realized free love always ended in jealousy and fist fights. That's also when it began to dawn on me men and women were made to be monogamous.

So, it is more than semantics for me. Love must be clearly defined. And, from my perspective, love is not a god. There is a fundamental difference between who God is and what love is. Do you see what I mean?

Quote:
MM: Also, do we agree it was natural for A&E to fear Jesus before they learned of His plan to save and redeem them? To sin, wherever found, our God is a consuming fire.

A: I agree.

And, what about people who forfeit salvation to serve sin? Isn't it right and natural for them to fear God, to be afraid of what He will do to them in judgment, in the lake of fire? The following passages say as much, don't they?

Hebrews
6:4 For [it is] impossible for those who were once enlightened, and have tasted of the heavenly gift, and were made partakers of the Holy Ghost,
6:5 And have tasted the good word of God, and the powers of the world to come,
6:6 If they shall fall away, to renew them again unto repentance; seeing they crucify to themselves the Son of God afresh, and put [him] to an open shame.

Hebrews
10:26 For if we sin wilfully after that we have received the knowledge of the truth, there remaineth no more sacrifice for sins,
10:27 But a certain fearful looking for of judgment and fiery indignation, which shall devour the adversaries.
10:28 He that despised Moses' law died without mercy under two or three witnesses:
10:29 Of how much sorer punishment, suppose ye, shall he be thought worthy, who hath trodden under foot the Son of God, and hath counted the blood of the covenant, wherewith he was sanctified, an unholy thing, and hath done despite unto the Spirit of grace?
10:30 For we know him that hath said, Vengeance [belongeth] unto me, I will recompense, saith the Lord. And again, The Lord shall judge his people.
10:31 [It is] a fearful thing to fall into the hands of the living God.

Matthew
18:6 But whoso shall offend one of these little ones which believe in me, it were better for him that a millstone were hanged about his neck, and [that] he were drowned in the depth of the sea.
18:7 Woe unto the world because of offences! for it must needs be that offences come; but woe to that man by whom the offence cometh!

2 Peter
2:20 For if after they have escaped the pollutions of the world through the knowledge of the Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ, they are again entangled therein, and overcome, the latter end is worse with them than the beginning.
2:21 For it had been better for them not to have known the way of righteousness, than, after they have known [it], to turn from the holy commandment delivered unto them.
2:22 But it is happened unto them according to the true proverb, The dog [is] turned to his own vomit again; and the sow that was washed to her wallowing in the mire.

Re: "We Have No Sin" [Re: crater] #97608
04/01/08 06:20 PM
04/01/08 06:20 PM
asygo  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
 Originally Posted By: crater
We should also keep in mind that to much salt is inedible. We need the right mixture.

True. In fact, too much salt is fatal. We need water.

Quote:
John 4:13
Jesus answered and said to her, “Whoever drinks of this water will thirst again,

John 7:38-39
"He who believes in Me, as the Scripture has said, out of his heart will flow rivers of living water." But this He spoke concerning the Spirit, whom those believing in Him would receive; for the Holy Spirit was not yet given, because Jesus was not yet glorified.

And what does the salt look like when you put it in the water? Nothing. It disappears.

What if you take a glass of water, then add a lot of salt to it so that there's undissolved salt at the bottom? How do you make the salt disappear? You heat it up. What's the object lesson in that? But that's getting way off the topic. ;\)

By God's grace,
Arnold

There is no excuse for any one in taking the position that there is no more truth to be revealed, and that all our expositions of Scripture are without an error. The fact that certain doctrines have been held as truth for many years by our people, is not a proof that our ideas are infallible. Age will not make error into truth, and truth can afford to be fair. No true doctrine will lose anything by close investigation. RH 12/20/1892
Re: "We Have No Sin" [Re: Mountain Man] #97610
04/01/08 06:23 PM
04/01/08 06:23 PM
asygo  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
 Originally Posted By: Mountain Man
So, it is more than semantics for me. Love must be clearly defined. And, from my perspective, love is not a god. There is a fundamental difference between who God is and what love is. Do you see what I mean?

Especially when love is defined as the world defines it. But in a biblical sense, God and love always go together.

Originally Posted By: Mountain Man
And, what about people who forfeit salvation to serve sin? Isn't it right and natural for them to fear God, to be afraid of what He will do to them in judgment, in the lake of fire? The following passages say as much, don't they?

Yes, they should be afraid. But increasing that fear does not make them faithful children of God; it just makes them more rebellious.

The love of Christ constrains. And perfect love casts out fear. That is what will make a sinner want to live with God forever.

By God's grace,
Arnold

There is no excuse for any one in taking the position that there is no more truth to be revealed, and that all our expositions of Scripture are without an error. The fact that certain doctrines have been held as truth for many years by our people, is not a proof that our ideas are infallible. Age will not make error into truth, and truth can afford to be fair. No true doctrine will lose anything by close investigation. RH 12/20/1892
Re: "We Have No Sin" [Re: asygo] #97617
04/01/08 06:43 PM
04/01/08 06:43 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Arnold, a heartfelt amen, brother. Thank you.

Re: "We Have No Sin" [Re: asygo] #97618
04/01/08 06:45 PM
04/01/08 06:45 PM
V
vastergotland  Offline
Active Member 2011
3500+ Member
Sweden
 Originally Posted By: asygo
 Originally Posted By: västergötland
Considering that you felt free to say that adventism is the best christianity has to offer, I do think you would be in a position to speak on the whole of christianity. Your knowledge of the whole must be impressive to be able to say you have found the best.

You may believe so, but I don't. Just because I've rejected every other one I've looked at because they do not offer what I need, doesn't mean that I know a whole lot about them.
Just because they were not the answer you were looking for does not mean that they wont bring the right answer to somebody else who go seeking the same answer as you are but with different questions.
 Quote:

The problem is that we are much more like the diciples before pentecost than after. We look at other christians and then we run to Jesus complaining that: Teacher, we saw someone casting out demons[preaching, worshiping, defending the defenceless...] in Your name, and we tried to prevent him because he was not following us.; And then we expect a different answer than Jesus once gave: Do not hinder him, for there is no one who will perform a miracle in My name, and be able soon afterward to speak evil of Me. For he who is not against us is for us.

The sollution to this would be the realisation that in the following sentence: 'By this all men will know that you are My disciples, if you have love for one another' "one another" is not limitied to our own group but very much includes all of those whom you previously said are not equally viable. If some of them are weaker, all would know we are Jesus diciples if we carried the other group so that they could reach the goal, without, and this is important, without any ulterior motives of canibalizing the weaker group. A stronger christian group helping a weaker christain group without any self interest would defuse some of what Ted and all others who share his experience have to point at while at the same time fulfilling one of Jesus commandments that many of us commandmentkeeping people risk missing only because it is not spelled out in the decalogue but said by Jesus.

I don't see how your problem/solution is conceptually different from mine. It's the same thing, said differently.
The main difference is propably in who it includes and who it excludes. In who the "we" are that Jesus is adressing in the quote you gave. Though it is possible once again that you are more inclusive than my posts recognise.
 Quote:

However, there is a caveat. We can love others, even while believing that their paradigm is not viable. Jesus told the Samaritan woman, "You worship what you do not know; we know what we worship, for salvation is of the Jews." (John 4:22) But that did not mean that He loved her any less. On the contrary, He loved her, and that's why He was about to give her a viable paradigm.
This is true, for our relationships with the muslim and with the buddhist and with the pagans and voodoo worshipers. But if you say about a baptist or a methodist or maybe a pentecostal that they worship what they do not know while we worship what we do know, then you are out of line IMO. Between adventist and methodist to take one example, these words of Paul seem a much better fit: For I have been informed concerning you, my brethren, by Chloe's people, that there are quarrels among you. Now I mean this, that each one of you is saying, "I am of Paul," and "I of Apollos," and "I of Cephas," and "I of Christ." Has Christ been divided? Paul was not crucified for you, was he? Or were you baptized in the name of Paul?
 Quote:

So also with us. Yes, we are to help others. But that does not mean that we are to help them reach a goal that is not viable. Rather, we help them by showing them a better way. And if they happen to have a better way in some aspects, then we learn from them.
I imagen that all christians have the same goal including us, living worthy of our Father and fullfilling our Lord's orders. If this goal is not viable for some christians, I cant see why it would be viable for any, and the opposite is also true of course.
 Quote:

Is that cannibalizing each other? No. That's merely dying people helping other dying people get a better look at the serpent on the pole.
Not all adventists would happily let baptists or presbytarians remain in their respective denominations if they could bring them to the adventist church. Christian canibalism.
 Quote:

And the post just preceding yours show how we have failed to do just that. The experience told in that post, sometimes even with a hint of desperation I think, tell the tale of people more interested with ones own glory than with God's.

Yes. And the question before us is this: Will it cause us to point out someone else's error, or send us to the foot of the cross for our own shortcomings?
I guess that depends on if we are still talking in plural or if we have moved on to talking on an individual level.
 Quote:

Jesus said to His diciples, 'you ARE the salt of the earth, you ARE the light of the world, [you are] the city on a hill' which means Jerusalem (to any Jew it would anyway). If any of us who claim to know God's glory the best are not salt and light of our world, is there really any substance to our claim. And I am painfully aware that this question is to myself equally or more than it is to you or anyone else reading. Is there substance or is that claim as empty as the sound of clashing cymbals? Is there substance or have I/we taken the Lords name (in claiming to be His children) in vain?

Indeed, we take His name in vain if we claim to be His children, but prove that He is not our Father.

But let us not forget that salt does its work when surrounded by that which is not salty; light does its work when surrounded by darkness. In short, we are to be in the world, but not of the world.
True.

Galatians 2
21 I do not frustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness come by the law, then Christ is dead in vain.

It is so hazardous to take here a little and there a little. If you put the right little's together you can make the bible teach anything you wish. //Graham Maxwell
Re: "We Have No Sin" [Re: Mountain Man] #97628
04/01/08 07:45 PM
04/01/08 07:45 PM
Ted_Farmer  Offline
Banned Member (MSDAOL)
Posting New Member
Planet Earth
Let me start out by saying I respect each and every one of you, as fellow people. I respect and honor your right to free choice, and would never want anything other than that for all life. I'm here on a personal journey, this is a time of healing for me. I openly admit this is all about me, and what it's doing for me. Like with volunteering, you are helping others, but it's the selfish reason that really drives you, you wouldn't do it if it was not that way.

I want to take another look at my personal view of the SDA social structure and business model, from my own personal and unique viewpoints (yes, we all have those, it's great isn't it?) I'm not an anthropologist, but I play one on TV, just kidding. But I do want to point out a few things, just on an observational level. Take it for what it is, an unasked for outside view of what the SDA church is, and how I PERSONALLY find, for me, that it is unhealty. Now, should you read this, and think it's all malarky for your own unique viewpoints, just write it off altogether.

Christianity, as a belief system and a business model, offer the following(not excusively, nor exactly the same in all viewpoints, just mine):

-Eternal life, that's an offer that no one else can top. It's the only thing unattainable by humanity, it's the best carrot you can find.

-Eternal damnation, that's an offer that no one else can top. It's the best stick you can find.

-It's the best belief system around (With adventism this is especially true, that's exactly why Asyago like's it, he said so. It's the "most" "best" there is, but only because the system say's it's the best. It's not measureable, it's just a subjective opinion, like many thiings in life).

-There is nothing to produce, no resources needed (other than people), and there's is no outgoing payments.

-There is the "claim" of payment, eternal life, but you only get that AFTER you die! (once again, as a business model, that is BRILLIANT! Unbeatable, you never have to payout, just take in).

-Don't kill yourself getting to the prize. With this latest and greatest version of christianity (SDA), you will actually get the prize before death, in 1844! Opps, didn't happen, but it will, any day now, I swear! And even if you don't get to heaven before you die, you know you are totally gonna make it there after you die, you know cause the church you pay tithe to said so, the promise is in it's doctrines.

The previous are some of my own personal views on the subject. That does not make it right for anybody else. My way is not the only way, or even the best way. I would never want someone to follow my footsteps exactly, that would never be right for that person. We are too unique (in finger prints, dna, or the life that we each lead) for all things to be the same for everyone.

I'll now try to answer a few of the many questions ask by MM. I once again want to make clear that my answers are my own view points, your results may vary. And that's great, the way I think it should be, to me that is what's natural. It's how the system works, nothing exactly the same, and nothing lasts forever (at least not in our human ability to conceptualize things beyond our capabilities).

Freedom and Fear: Am I free? Sure, to the extent that I make most of my own choices. For any type of society to exist, there must be some rules in place, and most people must follow them. There is no utopia, no perfect place, no hippie village where everyone can have every single freedom offered to them. Because then you could kill people, and that ends the other person's free will and that ends the game. So I'm not advocating any "perfect" society. But on a personal scale, I do believe that you should make your choice's by your own free choice, not under pressure from anyone else. You certainly may choose to have counsel, and I personally advocate having input from others when making choices, but not when that limits your choices. And I feel that is what happens when the christian belief system is your counsel, your results may vary.

I fear many things. So does everyone here. Fear is one of the things that keeps us safe and alive. I do not fear death, it's natural. It's never NOT happened. There is not a single person on earth that has ever escaped it, not even your own jesus. I do not think it's healthy for me to fear the lack of living forever. I just don't see anything about life that would point in that direction (eternal life), your results may vary. So I don't rush forward to death, and I don't think there's life that can go one forever. You must have death to have life, rinse and repeat, that's my personal view.

What I have personally found works better for my own life (taking into account, physical, mental, and spiritual health) is to not lean onto a belief system based on someone else's life, but that of my own life. I find for me, standing on my own two feet is best. Not asking for etherial help, but doing the work myself. I think most people feel better about themselves when they do the work, and not ask someone else to do it for them. I don't think Mountain Man would climb mountains if that was not the case. You know how empowering it is to make it to the TOP, ALL BY YOURSELF! You wouldn't risk life and limb, and the chance of never seeing your beloved family again, if that were not true. You are drawn to it because it's a place you can prove to yourself, that you did it by yourself. Did jesus carry your pack to the top? Did jesus self arrest your fall? No, you did, it was all you. And that belief in yourself is what makes you such a powerful person. Even climbers who use porter's and oxygen tanks wish they could do it all on their own. Most strive all their lives to use a "better" style; solo, unaided, up the most difficult route, during the worst season, for the maximum reward.

To me, that's how I see it. When I was in the church, I wasn't doing the work. I did something wrong, I asked god to forgive me. I didn't ask myself to stop beating myself up over the mistake, I asked someone else to do it. And that didn't fix anything for me. I'm now fixing my life by coming back to the place I had a problem, and taking care of it myself. I have been very hurt by the adventist movemet, obviously, otherwise I wouldn't be here. But that's just it, I'm here, trying to be better. I didn't just kneel down by my bed and hope someone else would make me feel better. I went the tough road instead. I made the hard choice to help myself, for myself. And odds are this whole thing is only helping me, but that's the way of it. You have to look out for yourself (yes, look out for number 1, but also help others when you can, like others have done for you in the past, it's natural).

I don't think there is some magical island where you can achieve total happiness. It's not a material thing. It's the mental health part of it. I don't think it's someplace (not utopia, not an island, not heavenn or hell), and it's not the "stuff" (not the day of the week, not public school, it's not about jewelry or food choices), it's about making the right healthy choices for me, on a daily basis. Like do I choose to be happy today? Do I choose to try to work on me today? Will I try to be a better person, both to myself, and those around me? Will I help others in need?

I guess I'm really just learning and putting to practice another life lesson for myself. I'm here, to help myself get over the feelings I have about my own time spent within the walls of the adventist regimen. I'm sorry if I've hurt anybody along the way, I meant no harm. I'm working on me, trying to be a better me, and maybe helping along the way. I have no right to tell you that your belief system is wrong for you. We are all unique and individual, and we have the ability and right to choose what's best for our own lives. I think that as a child growing up in the adventist schools, church's, and family's, I failed to see that. I was an excitable child, with a vivid imagination, asking countless questions that no one had answer's to. I am now finding answer's to those questions (some will never be answered, and that's ok), and I am now helping myself to see those people meant no harm.

I wan not abused by the church. I was not beaten, I was not molested, I was not "forced" to take on their beliefs. But when you are a child, you rely soley on those around you, those older and wiser than you, to help shape and mold your reality. And I think my own reality was far different than those around me. And I feel that with such an "authoritarian" type of view on life, and most things coming down to a child as "you can't do this, or you can't do that", it broke my spirit. And I'm just now getting over that, almost 20 years later. I did not feel that when I was part of the church, that I could make my own decisions, because every single choice I made was completely wrong by the standards of the church, and thus I was damned for ever. The system did not take into account my own unique individualness. I feel I was steam rolled by the big machine, to conform and pay my tithe, and beg for forgiveness, like the rest of the sinners.

Well, I have come to the current conclusion that this is not a healthy life style choice for me. I find it's most healthy to stand on my own two feet, to take the wheel myself, and lead my life where I so choose. I do truely understand that's not the right choice for everyone. For some, it may be best to have someone else be the pilot, and let them lead. But that's not what is right for me, in my humble opinion. And that's what I base my life and choices on.

I don't think there will ever be any total peace. There's nothing in nature or the worlds around us that would lead me to think that could be the case. Nothing is "peaceful", not animals or plants(they kill each other, and cause harm by taking over another species space for resources), nor the planets around us. There is explosive violence all around us, from atoms bumping into each other, making new and wonderful things, to volcano's, astroids, and solar flares.

To me, life must not be static, total peace to me means the end of life. Heaven is not possible to my reality, because it's incongruent with life, it's static, forever, like nothing else we can conceive. That does not make it impossible, I think that anything, anything at all is possible, but for MY reality, it's not probable. And those are choices we all have to make on our own. This really has been all about me, I see it more and more.

Yes, I've been here (on this site for some time) as many different people. I'm not the eugene person Daryl speaks of, but just a regular joe, who's working on himself, to be a happier, healthier person. I say again, if I've harmed even a single person here, I'm sorry. I do sincerely wish each and every one of you the best that life has to offer. I do not have the answers to life, not for myself, and most certainly not for others. I am on a personal journey, life, and it's a great time. Every day is an opportunity to see and do the most wonderful things, to interact with others, and hopefully make a positive difference in someone else's life. That is also what I'm here for. I say it's just like being a volunteer, you outwardly do it for others, but it's really about your own needs. And that's ok, that's life, enjoy!!!!!

So with that I'll sign off. The people on this site, and within the adventist and christian community, as well as all life, are wonderful and amazing creatures. I don't think that anybody has all the answers to life and all it's complexeties, and we never will. I hope that each and every one of you find true happiness in your life, whereever, or however you may choose to find that. Thanks for the lending of you ear (as it were), and the time you have spent helping me. I do feel better, and that's always what I'm looking for, ways to feel even better, and make life even more cool.

Take care, good luck, and thanks.

Re: "We Have No Sin" [Re: Ted_Farmer] #97631
04/01/08 10:04 PM
04/01/08 10:04 PM
V
vastergotland  Offline
Active Member 2011
3500+ Member
Sweden
 Originally Posted By: Ted_Farmer
Let me start out by saying I respect each and every one of you, as fellow people. I respect and honor your right to free choice, and would never want anything other than that for all life. I'm here on a personal journey, this is a time of healing for me. I openly admit this is all about me, and what it's doing for me. Like with volunteering, you are helping others, but it's the selfish reason that really drives you, you wouldn't do it if it was not that way.

I want to take another look at my personal view of the SDA social structure and business model, from my own personal and unique viewpoints (yes, we all have those, it's great isn't it?) I'm not an anthropologist, but I play one on TV, just kidding. But I do want to point out a few things, just on an observational level. Take it for what it is, an unasked for outside view of what the SDA church is, and how I PERSONALLY find, for me, that it is unhealty. Now, should you read this, and think it's all malarky for your own unique viewpoints, just write it off altogether.

Christianity, as a belief system and a business model, offer the following(not excusively, nor exactly the same in all viewpoints, just mine):

-Eternal life, that's an offer that no one else can top. It's the only thing unattainable by humanity, it's the best carrot you can find.

-Eternal damnation, that's an offer that no one else can top. It's the best stick you can find.

-It's the best belief system around (With adventism this is especially true, that's exactly why Asyago like's it, he said so. It's the "most" "best" there is, but only because the system say's it's the best. It's not measureable, it's just a subjective opinion, like many thiings in life).

-There is nothing to produce, no resources needed (other than people), and there's is no outgoing payments.

-There is the "claim" of payment, eternal life, but you only get that AFTER you die! (once again, as a business model, that is BRILLIANT! Unbeatable, you never have to payout, just take in).

-Don't kill yourself getting to the prize. With this latest and greatest version of christianity (SDA), you will actually get the prize before death, in 1844! Opps, didn't happen, but it will, any day now, I swear! And even if you don't get to heaven before you die, you know you are totally gonna make it there after you die, you know cause the church you pay tithe to said so, the promise is in it's doctrines.
I got to say Ted, the christianity you described above deserves to be deserted.
 Quote:

The previous are some of my own personal views on the subject. That does not make it right for anybody else. My way is not the only way, or even the best way. I would never want someone to follow my footsteps exactly, that would never be right for that person. We are too unique (in finger prints, dna, or the life that we each lead) for all things to be the same for everyone.

I'll now try to answer a few of the many questions ask by MM. I once again want to make clear that my answers are my own view points, your results may vary. And that's great, the way I think it should be, to me that is what's natural. It's how the system works, nothing exactly the same, and nothing lasts forever (at least not in our human ability to conceptualize things beyond our capabilities).

Freedom and Fear: Am I free? Sure, to the extent that I make most of my own choices. For any type of society to exist, there must be some rules in place, and most people must follow them. There is no utopia, no perfect place, no hippie village where everyone can have every single freedom offered to them. Because then you could kill people, and that ends the other person's free will and that ends the game. So I'm not advocating any "perfect" society. But on a personal scale, I do believe that you should make your choice's by your own free choice, not under pressure from anyone else. You certainly may choose to have counsel, and I personally advocate having input from others when making choices, but not when that limits your choices. And I feel that is what happens when the christian belief system is your counsel, your results may vary.
I agree with what you say about making choises by ones own free will. I don't know what kind of input you are refering to that would limit your choises. Do you see input from a christian belief system as comparable to input recieved from a trafic police telling you to either slow down or loose your license? I assume that when you ask friends that you trust for advice that you consider the advice seriously and maybe more often than not follow it. Forgeting about christianity for a while and assuming that God exists, would your view of God be more like the trafic officer or the trusted friend? Maybe the answer here is the root issue. But you did say you did not believe God existed at all, right?
 Quote:

I fear many things. So does everyone here. Fear is one of the things that keeps us safe and alive. I do not fear death, it's natural. It's never NOT happened. There is not a single person on earth that has ever escaped it, not even your own jesus. I do not think it's healthy for me to fear the lack of living forever. I just don't see anything about life that would point in that direction (eternal life), your results may vary. So I don't rush forward to death, and I don't think there's life that can go one forever. You must have death to have life, rinse and repeat, that's my personal view.

What I have personally found works better for my own life (taking into account, physical, mental, and spiritual health) is to not lean onto a belief system based on someone else's life, but that of my own life. I find for me, standing on my own two feet is best. Not asking for etherial help, but doing the work myself. I think most people feel better about themselves when they do the work, and not ask someone else to do it for them. I don't think Mountain Man would climb mountains if that was not the case. You know how empowering it is to make it to the TOP, ALL BY YOURSELF! You wouldn't risk life and limb, and the chance of never seeing your beloved family again, if that were not true. You are drawn to it because it's a place you can prove to yourself, that you did it by yourself. Did jesus carry your pack to the top? Did jesus self arrest your fall? No, you did, it was all you. And that belief in yourself is what makes you such a powerful person. Even climbers who use porter's and oxygen tanks wish they could do it all on their own. Most strive all their lives to use a "better" style; solo, unaided, up the most difficult route, during the worst season, for the maximum reward.
You'r right about that. Travelling, if not uncharted, so at least after own plans and means is better than being bussed around by a sheepherd. This can apply to every field that humans strive to excel in.
 Quote:

To me, that's how I see it. When I was in the church, I wasn't doing the work. I did something wrong, I asked god to forgive me. I didn't ask myself to stop beating myself up over the mistake, I asked someone else to do it. And that didn't fix anything for me. I'm now fixing my life by coming back to the place I had a problem, and taking care of it myself. I have been very hurt by the adventist movemet, obviously, otherwise I wouldn't be here. But that's just it, I'm here, trying to be better. I didn't just kneel down by my bed and hope someone else would make me feel better. I went the tough road instead. I made the hard choice to help myself, for myself. And odds are this whole thing is only helping me, but that's the way of it. You have to look out for yourself (yes, look out for number 1, but also help others when you can, like others have done for you in the past, it's natural).
I hear there are problems that face humans where it is almost impossible for any person to help themselves, even though their will and whatever effort that can be mustered are necessary for success. 12 step groups for different kinds of addictions don't exist for their own sake. Alone is not always strong.
 Quote:

I don't think there is some magical island where you can achieve total happiness. It's not a material thing. It's the mental health part of it. I don't think it's someplace (not utopia, not an island, not heavenn or hell), and it's not the "stuff" (not the day of the week, not public school, it's not about jewelry or food choices), it's about making the right healthy choices for me, on a daily basis. Like do I choose to be happy today? Do I choose to try to work on me today? Will I try to be a better person, both to myself, and those around me? Will I help others in need?

I guess I'm really just learning and putting to practice another life lesson for myself. I'm here, to help myself get over the feelings I have about my own time spent within the walls of the adventist regimen. I'm sorry if I've hurt anybody along the way, I meant no harm. I'm working on me, trying to be a better me, and maybe helping along the way. I have no right to tell you that your belief system is wrong for you. We are all unique and individual, and we have the ability and right to choose what's best for our own lives. I think that as a child growing up in the adventist schools, church's, and family's, I failed to see that. I was an excitable child, with a vivid imagination, asking countless questions that no one had answer's to. I am now finding answer's to those questions (some will never be answered, and that's ok), and I am now helping myself to see those people meant no harm.

I wan not abused by the church. I was not beaten, I was not molested, I was not "forced" to take on their beliefs. But when you are a child, you rely soley on those around you, those older and wiser than you, to help shape and mold your reality. And I think my own reality was far different than those around me. And I feel that with such an "authoritarian" type of view on life, and most things coming down to a child as "you can't do this, or you can't do that", it broke my spirit. And I'm just now getting over that, almost 20 years later. I did not feel that when I was part of the church, that I could make my own decisions, because every single choice I made was completely wrong by the standards of the church, and thus I was damned for ever. The system did not take into account my own unique individualness. I feel I was steam rolled by the big machine, to conform and pay my tithe, and beg for forgiveness, like the rest of the sinners.

Well, I have come to the current conclusion that this is not a healthy life style choice for me. I find it's most healthy to stand on my own two feet, to take the wheel myself, and lead my life where I so choose. I do truely understand that's not the right choice for everyone. For some, it may be best to have someone else be the pilot, and let them lead. But that's not what is right for me, in my humble opinion. And that's what I base my life and choices on.

I don't think there will ever be any total peace. There's nothing in nature or the worlds around us that would lead me to think that could be the case. Nothing is "peaceful", not animals or plants(they kill each other, and cause harm by taking over another species space for resources), nor the planets around us. There is explosive violence all around us, from atoms bumping into each other, making new and wonderful things, to volcano's, astroids, and solar flares.

To me, life must not be static, total peace to me means the end of life. Heaven is not possible to my reality, because it's incongruent with life, it's static, forever, like nothing else we can conceive. That does not make it impossible, I think that anything, anything at all is possible, but for MY reality, it's not probable. And those are choices we all have to make on our own. This really has been all about me, I see it more and more.

Yes, I've been here (on this site for some time) as many different people. I'm not the eugene person Daryl speaks of, but just a regular joe, who's working on himself, to be a happier, healthier person. I say again, if I've harmed even a single person here, I'm sorry. I do sincerely wish each and every one of you the best that life has to offer. I do not have the answers to life, not for myself, and most certainly not for others. I am on a personal journey, life, and it's a great time. Every day is an opportunity to see and do the most wonderful things, to interact with others, and hopefully make a positive difference in someone else's life. That is also what I'm here for. I say it's just like being a volunteer, you outwardly do it for others, but it's really about your own needs. And that's ok, that's life, enjoy!!!!!

So with that I'll sign off. The people on this site, and within the adventist and christian community, as well as all life, are wonderful and amazing creatures. I don't think that anybody has all the answers to life and all it's complexeties, and we never will. I hope that each and every one of you find true happiness in your life, whereever, or however you may choose to find that. Thanks for the lending of you ear (as it were), and the time you have spent helping me. I do feel better, and that's always what I'm looking for, ways to feel even better, and make life even more cool.

Take care, good luck, and thanks.
May your journey bring you to places and to people and through experiences where and through whom you will find what you seek.

Galatians 2
21 I do not frustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness come by the law, then Christ is dead in vain.

It is so hazardous to take here a little and there a little. If you put the right little's together you can make the bible teach anything you wish. //Graham Maxwell
Re: "We Have No Sin" [Re: vastergotland] #97637
04/02/08 04:52 AM
04/02/08 04:52 AM
asygo  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
Just because they were not the answer you were looking for does not mean that they wont bring the right answer to somebody else who go seeking the same answer as you are but with different questions.

Perhaps. Each person is unique, and needs a unique approach. Sometimes, the final answer is not always the needed answer. But in the end, the goal must be the same: Christ in you, the hope of glory.

The main difference is propably in who it includes and who it excludes. In who the "we" are that Jesus is adressing in the quote you gave. Though it is possible once again that you are more inclusive than my posts recognise.

It's probably more likely that I am more exclusive than many would be comfortable with. The "in" group is the one composed of those whose head is God. That's the criterion, regardless of what these people may be called.

This is true, for our relationships with the muslim and with the buddhist and with the pagans and voodoo worshipers. But if you say about a baptist or a methodist or maybe a pentecostal that they worship what they do not know while we worship what we do know, then you are out of line IMO. Between adventist and methodist to take one example, these words of Paul seem a much better fit: For I have been informed concerning you, my brethren, by Chloe's people, that there are quarrels among you. Now I mean this, that each one of you is saying, "I am of Paul," and "I of Apollos," and "I of Cephas," and "I of Christ." Has Christ been divided? Paul was not crucified for you, was he? Or were you baptized in the name of Paul?

Again, I do not really put much stock in labels such as Muslim, Buddhist, Baptist, or Methodist. The determining factor is the head.

I imagen that all christians have the same goal including us, living worthy of our Father and fullfilling our Lord's orders. If this goal is not viable for some christians, I cant see why it would be viable for any, and the opposite is also true of course.

Not everyone who calls himself a Christian has the goal you mention. I know of a group who goes to church on the 1st day of the week because God said to keep the 7th day holy.

Not all adventists would happily let baptists or presbytarians remain in their respective denominations if they could bring them to the adventist church. Christian canibalism.

If all Adventists and Baptists and Presbyterians believed and practiced as God would have them, would the difference in name be significant? I don't think so.

Therefore, everyone can keep the name they want, as long as God is our head.

Quote:
Yes. And the question before us is this: Will it cause us to point out someone else's error, or send us to the foot of the cross for our own shortcomings?
I guess that depends on if we are still talking in plural or if we have moved on to talking on an individual level.

I don't need to move to the individual level, because that's where I've been all along. Though Christian groups can get pretty big, Christianity happens one person at a time.

And when each person gets his act together, the group will take care of itself.

By God's grace,
Arnold

Re: "We Have No Sin" [Re: Ted_Farmer] #97638
04/02/08 07:20 AM
04/02/08 07:20 AM
C
crater  Offline
Veteran Member
United States
Sorry, Ted, I'm not buying any of it. From reading your last couple of post, I find you to be very manipulative to say the least.''

I also find conflicting statements, here are a few.

Quote:
So why am I here? I'd like to save a life. My life has been saved, from this cult. I should just cut and run, glad that at least I'm still alive. But I know other's are suffering, and for some reason I feel the need to save a life. It's like when someone is in a burning building, I want to go in and bring them out. They can't see because of all the smoke, their oxygen is running out, and they just need a helping hand. I want to be that hand. I've just barely made it out with my life, and yet still I try to help others.

I risk much by being here, it's damaging to my health, and this I know. But I would risk life and limb to help someone get out of this cult. And if someone else can see that they are being controlled, brainwashed, and that it's possible to live a happy, healty life without the church, that's what I want to do. It's not so different than what you belive, it's just at the opposite end of the spectrum. If that's what makes me evil, then so be it, I hope I'm the worst ever. I hope to release all people from the strangle hold of this church.
verses
 Quote:
I'm here on a personal journey, this is a time of healing for me. I openly admit this is all about me, and what it's doing for me. Like with volunteering, you are helping others, but it's the selfish reason that really drives you, you wouldn't do it if it was not that way.

Quote:
Yes, I've been here (on this site for some time) as many different people. I'm not the eugene person Daryl speaks of, but just a regular joe, who's working on himself, to be a happier, healthier person.

Perhaps you are me, myself, and I, alias "The Cult Busters"? Who you "guna' call"? \:D

I have to agree with you that you don't like to follow the rules.
 Quote:
11 - Except upon request and by prior approval by the Administrator, an individual can only register under one username as a member of Maritime SDA OnLine. Intentional infraction of this forum rule will result in the suspension or loss of posting rights.

Last edited by crater; 04/02/08 07:38 PM.
Page 7 of 12 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 11 12

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/12/24 10:01 AM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 05/06/24 12:18 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by dedication. 05/06/24 02:37 PM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:33 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:29 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:27 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by kland. 05/06/24 10:32 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!