HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,615
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 19
kland 9
Daryl 4
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
ProdigalOne
ProdigalOne
Alberta, Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
5 registered members (Karen Y, dedication, Kevin H, Daryl, 1 invisible), 3,241 guests, and 23 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Weight Watching #98775
04/27/08 11:14 PM
04/27/08 11:14 PM
F
fun2believe  Offline OP
California, USA
Is being overweight a sin?

We know that being overweight is unhealthy, and leads to disease and many health problems. So, since this body is the temple of God, and we are to take care of it, does that include watching your weight, not only eating right (vegetarian), but getting enough exercise to keep our weight in the healthy range?

Most people in my church are overweight or obese. They don't eat meat, and work hard at being good christians, but they don't do anything about what is actually killing them early. Is this a problem in your church? Next week, check out the average weight of the folks in the pews, are they in good shape? Do they get regular cardiovascular exercise, or do they just try to not eat meat? And since they know it's unhealthy (I don't think you could make the argument that anybody in chruch doesn't KNOW that being overweight is unhealthy), is that a sin?

Re: Weight Watching [Re: fun2believe] #98790
04/28/08 06:44 AM
04/28/08 06:44 AM
V
vastergotland  Offline
Active Member 2011
3500+ Member
Sweden
Which is worse, being fit but eating meat or being obese and vegetarian?

Galatians 2
21 I do not frustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness come by the law, then Christ is dead in vain.

It is so hazardous to take here a little and there a little. If you put the right little's together you can make the bible teach anything you wish. //Graham Maxwell
Re: Weight Watching [Re: vastergotland] #98896
04/30/08 05:30 PM
04/30/08 05:30 PM
F
fun2believe  Offline OP
California, USA
Is one sin worse than another? Does it really matter?

The reality is that if you sin, you sin. End of story. But if you take Jesus as your personal saviour, He will help you not sin, and not want to sin.

So I don't think it even matters. If you know it's wrong to be obese, and you continue to eat in such a way that puts on more weight, you are not following the word of the lord. You must lose weight, and be fit and trim.

All sins are equal in my opinion. The act does not matter, only that it's against the word of the lord.

Re: Weight Watching [Re: fun2believe] #98917
04/30/08 09:01 PM
04/30/08 09:01 PM
C
crater  Offline
Veteran Member
United States
 Originally Posted By: fun2believe
Is being overweight a sin?

We know that being overweight is unhealthy, and leads to disease and many health problems. So, since this body is the temple of God, and we are to take care of it, does that include watching your weight, not only eating right (vegetarian), but getting enough exercise to keep our weight in the healthy range?

Most people in my church are overweight or obese. They don't eat meat, and work hard at being good christians, but they don't do anything about what is actually killing them early. Is this a problem in your church? Next week, check out the average weight of the folks in the pews, are they in good shape? Do they get regular cardiovascular exercise, or do they just try to not eat meat? And since they know it's unhealthy (I don't think you could make the argument that anybody in chruch doesn't KNOW that being overweight is unhealthy), is that a sin?

I have not found in scripture nor in the writings of Ellen White that being over weight or obese is a sin.

The obese person is an easy target for jokes, and prejudice, and preconceive judgment. Let us remember man looketh on the outward appearance, but God looketh upon the heart.

Quote:
1 Samuel 16:7
But the LORD said unto Samuel, Look not on his countenance, or on the height of his stature; because I have refused him: for the LORD seeth not as man seeth; for man looketh on the outward appearance, but the LORD looketh on the heart.

While we may most likely find it true of many SDA churches, as it is in your church, that there are many who are overweight or obese, let us not sit in judgment of them. There are many reasons for obesity, that are not necessarily the result of over eating.

In fact the person may actually eat less then then the “Skinny Minnie” sitting behind them. I have know a number of skinny men that are always eating, anything and everything, and never gain an ounce, but many endogenous people will become quite obese on the “standard western diet”.

Re: Weight Watching [Re: crater] #98918
04/30/08 09:19 PM
04/30/08 09:19 PM
F
fun2believe  Offline OP
California, USA
Even though scripture and SOP don't use the word "obese", I think you have to admit that being overweight is a sin. Being overweight directly leads to diabetes, an increased work load for your heart, and a whole host of other problems. I don't think that anybody would argue against the fact that obese people get less physical exercise than someone one of more moderate weight (often due to sore body parts from carrying more weight than the human body was designed to carry).

Our body is the temple of God, and thus we should keep it ready for Him to inhabit. In all things we should attempt to keep our body healthy, including, but not limited to: eating a healty diet (as outlined by SOP and a lot of other great christians), getting regular cardiovascular exercise (it sends fresh oxygenated blood to the brain, which helps us keep a clear head to speak with God), and maintaining a healty weight to keep the working parts working.

I agree that we should NOT judge others (no matter the issue), and that's not what I'm doing. I also agree that not all obesity is from overeating (thyroid problems are only one of a host of metabolic issues that can cause weight gain). But that doesn't mean we should just "let ourselves go". I think God want's us to be healthy, to have a glow about us, so that others may see how God is working in our lives. I think it's one of the reasons this church has found the health care message. And part of that includes maintaining a healthy weight. But if you KNOW you are overeating, or underexercising, or not looking out for the one body that God has given us, then to me it is a sin to be overweight (once again, not including untreated medical issues). But even if it's a medical issue, I think God does want us to look into it, and fix, adjust, or alter our lives in such a way to keep our bodies healthy.

Is gluteny a sin?

Re: Weight Watching [Re: fun2believe] #98919
04/30/08 09:32 PM
04/30/08 09:32 PM
C
crater  Offline
Veteran Member
United States
 Originally Posted By: fun2believe
Is one sin worse than another? Does it really matter?

The reality is that if you sin, you sin. End of story. But if you take Jesus as your personal saviour, He will help you not sin, and not want to sin.

So I don't think it even matters. If you know it's wrong to be obese, and you continue to eat in such a way that puts on more weight, you are not following the word of the lord. You must lose weight, and be fit and trim.

All sins are equal in my opinion. The act does not matter, only that it's against the word of the lord.

fun2believe, you are coming across as being rather harsh on the obese. \:\)

I agree that being overweight is unhealthy, and leads to disease and many health problems.

I do not agree that being overweight or obese is a sin. I do not find that the Bible or SOP teach that it is a sin. But maybe I am not looking in the right place, perhaps you could share from scripture or SOP, that obesity is a sin?

That being said, there is lust and gluttony that are sins.
Deuteronomy 21:20, 21

Quote:
Counsels on Health (1923), page 50, paragraph 3
Chapter Title: Section II - Essentials to Health

Excessive indulgence in eating and drinking is sin.
 Quote:
Healthful Living (1897, 1898), page 307, paragraph 1
Chapter Title: Chapter XLIV. - The Spirit-Filled Life.

1236. God cannot let his Holy Spirit rest upon those who are enfeebling themselves by gluttony.-- R. and H., 1883, No. 19.
 Quote:
Medical Ministry (1932), page 288, paragraph 3
Chapter Title: Section Fifteen - Diet and Health

While working against gluttony and intemperance, we are to remember the means and appliances of gospel truth, which commend themselves to sound judgment. In order to do our work in straight, simple lines, we must recognize the conditions to which the human family are subjected.
 Quote:
The Story of Jesus (1896, 1900) [Adapted from EGW material], page 180, paragraph 7
Chapter Title: A Day of Judgment

The people of Noah's day abused the gifts of God. Their eating and drinking led to gluttony and drunkenness.

Men are doing the same things today. Gluttony, intemperance, untamable passions, evil practices, are filling the earth with wickedness.

Quote:
It is necessary for us to eat and to drink that we may have physical strength to serve the Lord, but when we carry our eating to gluttony, without a thought of pleasing our heavenly Father, eating just that which is pleasing to our taste, we are doing just as they did in the days of Noah.
Conflict and Courage (1970), page 35, paragraph 6
Chapter Title: An Affluent Society
 Quote:
Testimony Studies on Diet and Foods (1926), page 25, paragraph 11
Chapter Title: Chapter 8 - Diet and Morals

1 T.--486-487
Gluttony is the prevailing sin of this age. Lustful appetite makes slaves of men and women, and beclouds their intellects and stupefies their moral

sensibilities to such a degree that the sacred, elevated truths of God's word are not appreciated. The lower propensities have ruled men and women.
 Quote:
The Review and Herald, May 27, 1902, paragraph 4
Article Title: A Reform NeededMrs. E. G. White

Those who indulge in meat eating, tea drinking, and gluttony are sowing seeds for a harvest of pain and death. The unhealthful food placed in the stomach strengthens the appetites that war against the soul, developing the lower propensities. A diet of flesh meat tends to develop animalism. A development of animalism lessens spirituality, rendering the mind incapable of understanding truth.
 Quote:

The Word of God plainly warns us that unless we abstain from fleshly lusts, the physical nature will be brought into conflict with the spiritual nature. Lustful eating wars against health and peace. Thus a warfare is instituted between the higher and the lower attributes of the man. The lower propensities, strong and active, oppress the soul. The highest interests of the being are imperiled by the indulgence of appetites unsanctioned by Heaven.
 Quote:

Great care should be taken to form right habits of eating and drinking. The food eaten should be that which will make the best blood. The delicate organs of digestion should be respected. God requires us, by being temperate in all things, to act our part, toward keeping ourselves in health. He cannot enlighten the mind of a man who makes a cesspool of his stomach. He does not hear the prayers of those who are walking in the light of the sparks of their own kindling.

Gotta appreciate some of Ellen's descriptions. "walking in the light of the sparks of their own kindling."

Re: Weight Watching [Re: crater] #102128
08/30/08 03:28 AM
08/30/08 03:28 AM
I Am His  Offline
United States
I would just like to say that I am a 'firm' believer in watching weight.

Re: Weight Watching [Re: I Am His] #102158
08/30/08 07:29 PM
08/30/08 07:29 PM
C
Colin  Offline
Active Member 2012
Very Dedicated Member
E. Oregon, USA
Weight watching catches some eyes - but not all or even most. They said recently that a fat gene has been isolated: whatever the possible medical reasons, personal responsibility is your real point...

Neglect of health awareness makes one liable - to sin?...Surely yes, given health's part of sanctified living, not so?

Re: Weight Watching [Re: I Am His] #102161
08/30/08 08:24 PM
08/30/08 08:24 PM
DebbieB  Offline
United Kingdom
Having Read this thread I not only think that it is a bit harsh on the overweight, but am also put in mind of a few texts I wonder if you have read:

Psalm 92:12-14 The righteous shall flourish like the palm tree: he shall grow like a cedar in Lebanon. Those that be planted in the house of the LORD shall flourish in the courts of our God. They shall still bring forth fruit in old age; they shall be fat and flourishing; To shew that the LORD is upright: he is my rock, and there is no unrighteousness in him.
Psalm 36:8 They shall be abundantly satisfied with the fatness of thy house; and thou shalt make them drink of the river of thy pleasures.
Psalm 65:11 Thou crownest the year with thy goodness; and thy paths drop fatness.

Somehow in the scriptures the bible refers to fatness and making you fat as a blessing from God.....

I am not saying that everyone who is overweight shouldn't do anything about it nor am I advocating being unhealthy as others have pointed out already, gluttony is a sin, but I am pointing out that God's Idea of healthy does not agree with our modern Skinny is best attitude....I would also appeal for you to look at people such as rugby players, they are generally pretty fat as far as normal stadards go, but in fact they are tremendously healthy, and have a smaller fat% than you or I so just by looking at someone you cannot tell whether they are healthy fat or not.....

Re: Weight Watching [Re: DebbieB] #102295
09/03/08 06:25 AM
09/03/08 06:25 AM
C
crater  Offline
Veteran Member
United States

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 04/30/24 10:34 PM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 07:26 PM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!