HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,630
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 24
kland 13
Daryl 2
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
Rick H
Rick H
Florida, USA
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
3 registered members (Karen Y, Daryl, dedication), 2,907 guests, and 12 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: How could Jesus have failed? [Re: asygo] #100749
07/09/08 11:41 PM
07/09/08 11:41 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
1.I know of people who have tried to assume a middle ground, being neither pre nor postlapsarian, but I only see two possibilities. Everybody agrees that Christ had a body subject to becoming tired and hungry, etc. The only point I'm aware of that this is disagreement upon, regarding Christ's human nature, is whether He could be tempted as we are (i.e. by our fallen natures). Another way to say it would be if Christ assumed the same nature that we do by heredity. Postlapsarians say Christ did, and prelasparians say He didn't.

There are people of both camps who believe that Christ have failed, or that he could not have.

2.Regarding being in harmony with inspired commentary, I don't see how that's possible, unless the idea one has regarding Christ's humanity agrees with what Jones, Waggoner, Prescott, and Haskell taught, because inspired commentary endorses their view on this question.

3.Regarding motivation and emphasis, the SOP tells us that the "whole purpose" of Christ's mission was the revelation of God, in order to set men right with Him. I agree with this. The emphasis and motivation should be on God's character. If we love God, we will keep His commandments. To love God, one must know Him as He is in truth, as He was revealed by His Son.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: How could Jesus have failed? [Re: Tom] #100764
07/10/08 01:47 PM
07/10/08 01:47 PM
asygo  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
 Originally Posted By: Tom Ewall
1.I know of people who have tried to assume a middle ground, being neither pre nor postlapsarian, but I only see two possibilities.

That's why I don't think you see what I'm looking at.

Another way to say it would be if Christ assumed the same nature that we do by heredity. Postlapsarians say Christ did, and prelasparians say He didn't.

Consider this: Do we have the "mind of Christ" by heredity? Did Jesus have the "mind of Christ"? Did Adam have the "mind of Christ" before the Fall? Did Adam have the "mind of Christ" after the Fall?

Here's another way of looking at it: "Every one who by faith obeys God's commandments, will reach the condition of sinlessness in which Adam lived before his transgression." {ST, July 23, 1902 par. 14} Are we born in that "condition of sinlessness"? Was Jesus born in that "condition of sinlessness"? Did He ever have that "condition of sinlessness"? Did Adam have that "condition of sinlessness" before the Fall? Did Adam have that "condition of sinlessness" after the Fall?

What are your answers?

When I list my answers to these questions, it is clear to me that Jesus was not like post-Fall Adam. And I can easily make a set of questions that will show that Jesus was not like pre-Fall Adam.

2.Regarding being in harmony with inspired commentary, I don't see how that's possible, unless the idea one has regarding Christ's humanity agrees with what Jones, Waggoner, Prescott, and Haskell taught, because inspired commentary endorses their view on this question.

Did any of these people you mention ever teach that Jesus needed a "transformation of nature" {DA 172.1} like the rest of us do? Did any of them ever teach that Jesus had a fallen and corrupt mind, like Adam did after his fall?

The emphasis and motivation should be on God's character. If we love God, we will keep His commandments. To love God, one must know Him as He is in truth, as He was revealed by His Son.

Amen!

By God's grace,
Arnold

There is no excuse for any one in taking the position that there is no more truth to be revealed, and that all our expositions of Scripture are without an error. The fact that certain doctrines have been held as truth for many years by our people, is not a proof that our ideas are infallible. Age will not make error into truth, and truth can afford to be fair. No true doctrine will lose anything by close investigation. RH 12/20/1892
Re: How could Jesus have failed? [Re: Tom] #100765
07/10/08 01:56 PM
07/10/08 01:56 PM
asygo  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
 Quote:
Considering that half the unfallen angels of Heaven fell for it, and all of the unfallen humans in Eden fell for it, I don't see why you would consider it trivial.

First of all, I said it would be trivial for Jesus Christ. Jesus Christ had a fully developed, and correct, knowledge of God. Angels and men did not have this.

Lucifer did. And we know how that turned out.

Satan wasn't likely to deceive Jesus Christ.

If he failed to deceive Jesus, then he was lost. How could Jesus sin if He was not deceived about God?

The danger lay in the strength of the temptations themselves, strength which comes from fallen flesh.

A messed up body can only go so far. The crucial point is to avoid having a messed up mind.

Secondly, there were millions of worlds created with quadrillions or quintillions of beings. Of all these beings only a few billion have fallen. So considering the universe as a whole, only something like 0.00000001% of all created beings fell. So sin is extremely rare considering the universe as a whole.

You cannot count all the creatures there are. You can only count the ones that Satan tempted. After Adam and Eve fell, Satan was quarantined here. So, how many did he tempt before his success in Eden? I don't think it was quintillions.

Quote:
Why do you still insist that Christ's body could have caused Him to yield His mind?

I didn't say this. I have emphasized that His temptations were as difficult as they were, to a large extent, because of his flesh.

The difficulty of a temptation lies in how much the mind wants to gratify it. Unless Christ's mind goes along with it, the temptation is powerless.

As long as we have fallen flesh, we will be tempted. It is not inconsequential. By faith, we can overcome, as Christ did.

Yes, tempted. But as far as the possibility of falling into sin, the body is inconsequential. The mind is the key, for Jesus and us.

Quote:
Do you agree with that? Or do you believe that the body can still cause us to sin even if we had the mind of Christ?

The body doesn't "cause" anyone to suffer. We are tempted through the flesh. The mind controls the will.

Again, if one has the mind of Christ, can he sin?

By God's grace,
Arnold

There is no excuse for any one in taking the position that there is no more truth to be revealed, and that all our expositions of Scripture are without an error. The fact that certain doctrines have been held as truth for many years by our people, is not a proof that our ideas are infallible. Age will not make error into truth, and truth can afford to be fair. No true doctrine will lose anything by close investigation. RH 12/20/1892
Re: How could Jesus have failed? [Re: asygo] #100770
07/10/08 03:03 PM
07/10/08 03:03 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
T:First of all, I said it would be trivial for Jesus Christ. Jesus Christ had a fully developed, and correct, knowledge of God. Angels and men did not have this.

A:Lucifer did. And we know how that turned out.

------------------------------------------------------------------

T:Satan wasn't likely to deceive Jesus Christ.

A:If he failed to deceive Jesus, then he was lost. How could Jesus sin if He was not deceived about God?

Lucifer did not know God like Jesus Christ did.

Quote:
No one has ever seen God. The only Son, who is truly God and is closest to the Father, has shown us what God is like.(John 1:18)

Also, no one would say that Lucifer's temptations were difficult. They were self-induced. Indeed, it was a very difficult fight for Lucifer to give in to the temptations which were of his own devisings. He almost didn't make it.

Jesus Christ's temptations, OTOH, like ours, were difficult. Why? Because He took our flesh.

Regarding how Jesus Christ would sin if not deceived, it would be precisely by giving into temptation. For example, He knew He had to go to the cross in order to save humanity. But, because of taking our fallen nature, it was not His desire, according to the flesh, to do so. He prayed 3 times for the cup to pass from Him. He prayed, "Not my will, but thine be done." Had He not taken our flesh, where would the struggle have come from? He would not have had a will which needed to be denied.

Quote:
A messed up body can only go so far. The crucial point is to avoid having a messed up mind.

The flesh has an impact on the mind.

Quote:
T:I didn't say this. I have emphasized that His temptations were as difficult as they were, to a large extent, because of his flesh.

A:The difficulty of a temptation lies in how much the mind wants to gratify it. Unless Christ's mind goes along with it, the temptation is powerless.

Unless the mind accedes to the temptation, the temptation is overcome, but that doesn't mean it is powerless. It can be very difficult to overcome.

Also this is sort of begging the question. For example, when Satan presented the Kingdoms of this world to Christ, the SOP tells us that Christ immediately turned His head. Why? So He wouldn't give into the temptation. But what interest could the Kingdoms of this world possibly have for Christ, not matter how long He stared at them, unless He took our flesh? Where would the strength of the temptation come from, if not the flesh?

Quote:
T:Secondly, there were millions of worlds created with quadrillions or quintillions of beings. Of all these beings only a few billion have fallen. So considering the universe as a whole, only something like 0.00000001% of all created beings fell. So sin is extremely rare considering the universe as a whole.

A:You cannot count all the creatures there are. You can only count the ones that Satan tempted. After Adam and Eve fell, Satan was quarantined here. So, how many did he tempt before his success in Eden? I don't think it was quintillions.

Of course all the creatures in the universe should be counted to consider my point, which was that sin is extremely rare in the universe. To establish how rare, we would have to consider how many creatures there are, and how many of them sinned.

Quote:
T:1.I know of people who have tried to assume a middle ground, being neither pre nor postlapsarian, but I only see two possibilities.

A:That's why I don't think you see what I'm looking at.

I think that's unlikely. Not impossible, but unlikely. I've had many of these conversations.

Quote:
T:Another way to say it would be if Christ assumed the same nature that we do by heredity. Postlapsarians say Christ did, and prelasparians say He didn't.

A:Consider this: Do we have the "mind of Christ" by heredity? Did Jesus have the "mind of Christ"? Did Adam have the "mind of Christ" before the Fall? Did Adam have the "mind of Christ" after the Fall?

You'd have to define what you meant by the "mind of Christ."

Quote:
Here's another way of looking at it: "Every one who by faith obeys God's commandments, will reach the condition of sinlessness in which Adam lived before his transgression." {ST, July 23, 1902 par. 14} Are we born in that "condition of sinlessness"?

This is mixing apples and oranges. A condition of sinlessness is not a condition that one is born with, but which one develops by overcoming. Christ developed a perfect character; He wasn't born with one. "Sinlessness" has to do with character, not with the flesh. It's not something one is born with.

Quote:
Was Jesus born in that "condition of sinlessness"?

This is like asking if a television set is created with a condition of sinlessness.

Quote:
Did He ever have that "condition of sinlessness"?

Yes; He developed a perfect character.

Quote:
Did Adam have that "condition of sinlessness" before the Fall?

Adam was in the process of forming a character, and would have developed a perfect character, had he been faithful. He was living without sinning.

Quote:
Did Adam have that "condition of sinlessness" after the Fall?

If you mean immediately after the fall, no. If you mean at the end of his life, perhaps.

Quote:
What are your answers?

When I list my answers to these questions, it is clear to me that Jesus was not like post-Fall Adam.

But your questions do not have to do with the flesh. No one claims that Jesus was just like post-Fall Adam; just that His flesh was.

Quote:
And I can easily make a set of questions that will show that Jesus was not like pre-Fall Adam.

These would be questions that have to do with the flesh.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: How could Jesus have failed? [Re: Tom] #100794
07/10/08 08:26 PM
07/10/08 08:26 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
 Quote:
Lucifer did not know God like Jesus Christ did.

Tom,

First, Jesus Christ was not omniscient, right?

"With the issues of the conflict before Him, Christ's soul was filled with dread of separation from God. Satan told Him that if He became the surety for a sinful world, the separation would be eternal. He would be identified with Satan's kingdom, and would nevermore be one with God. And what was to be gained by this sacrifice? How hopeless appeared the guilt and ingratitude of men!" (DA 687).

"The Saviour could not see through the portals of the tomb. Hope did not present to Him His coming forth from the grave a conqueror, or tell Him of the Father's acceptance of the sacrifice. He feared that sin was so offensive to God that Their separation was to be eternal" (DA 753).

Second, even knowing God well, He could have doubts as all of us can.

"While the load of the world's sin was upon Christ, doubts rent his soul in regard to his oneness with his Father." {BEcho, August 1, 1892 par. 10}

"Satan flattered himself that he could lead Christ to doubt the words spoken from heaven at His baptism. If he could tempt Him to question His sonship, and doubt the truth of the word spoken by His Father, he would gain a great victory. ... Satan hoped that he could insinuate doubts as to His Father's love, which would find a lodgment in the mind of Christ, and that under the force of despondency and extreme hunger He would exert His miraculous power in His own behalf and take Himself out of the hands of His heavenly Father. This was indeed a temptation to Christ." {Con 41.1}

Re: How could Jesus have failed? [Re: Rosangela] #100799
07/10/08 09:25 PM
07/10/08 09:25 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
Tom,

First, Jesus Christ was not omniscient, right?

We're getting into deep waters here! My opinion is that Jesus Christ, as God, was omniscient, but as man was not.

Quote:
Second, even knowing God well, He could have doubts as all of us can.

I'm sure Christ was tempted to doubt, and that taking our flesh made those temptations severe.

I guess if you're going to quote from EGW on the temptations in the wilderness, it would be good to add that she says what made Christ's temptations so difficult was His bearing our sins. That's another element. In addition to taking our flesh, He bore our sins as well.

Re: How could Jesus have failed? [Re: Tom] #100821
07/11/08 04:22 PM
07/11/08 04:22 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
R: Second, even knowing God well, He could have doubts as all of us can.

MM: Did Jesus "have" doubts? Or, was He tempted to doubt?

Re: How could Jesus have failed? [Re: Mountain Man] #100829
07/11/08 06:20 PM
07/11/08 06:20 PM
F
fun2believe  Offline
California, USA
Was the life of Jesus "sinless"? Did jesus ever sin while in the flesh on this planet? I feel certain the answer is no. Out of all the "things" jesus did while on earth, He never sinned doing any of them.

It's not a sin to eat fish, nor to feed fish to the masses. It's never a sin to kill a fish and eat it, Jesus did it. It's not a sin to question God, for Jesus did it while nailed to the cross.

We can do anything that Jesus did while on this earth, and be CERTAIN that it's not a sin, for HE has SHOWN us the way to a perfect life on earth, hooray for Jesus!

Re: How could Jesus have failed? [Re: fun2believe] #100839
07/11/08 11:01 PM
07/11/08 11:01 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Amen! Thanx, f2b.

Re: How could Jesus have failed? [Re: Mountain Man] #100845
07/12/08 12:25 AM
07/12/08 12:25 AM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
 Quote:
R: Second, even knowing God well, He could have doubts as all of us can.
MM: Did Jesus "have" doubts? Or, was He tempted to doubt?

It seems some doubts, as doubts about His Father’s love, would have led Him to sin; so He couldn’t harbor them. But I think He had certain doubts – for instance, He had doubts as to if He would rise from the dead.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 05/06/24 12:18 PM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/05/24 05:39 AM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by dedication. 05/06/24 02:37 PM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:33 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:29 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:27 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by kland. 05/06/24 10:32 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!