HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,631
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 21
kland 6
Daryl 2
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
Daryl
Daryl
Nova Scotia, Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (dedication, Karen Y, Kevin H, Daryl, TheophilusOne, 1 invisible), 3,299 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
The use of spices, condiments, vinegar, tea etc... #102369
09/05/08 07:09 PM
09/05/08 07:09 PM
C
crater  Offline OP
Veteran Member
United States
Ellen makes a number of statements about the use of spices a condiments here is one example;

"The blood-making organs cannot convert spices, mince pies, pickles, and diseased flesh meats into good blood. (1870) 2T 383 "

Yet studies come out stating that some of these things are good for your health, such as with green tea, which is being promoted for being high in antioxidants. A 2003 article reports a study shows that Cinnamon helps diabetes and cholesterol. How should we view these studies?

Cinnamon Helps Type 2 Diabetes
Also Helps Cholesterol -- But More Than A Sprinkle Required

Re: The use of spices, condiments, vinegar, tea etc... [Re: crater] #102370
09/05/08 09:30 PM
09/05/08 09:30 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
These look like they're talking about different things. It certainly makes sense that mince pies, pickles and diseased flesh meats would not make good blood. I doubt there's any studies disputing this. So the only category open would be "spices," which is quite vague. I'm sure some spices are good and others bad.

Another point is that something (like a spice) could be helpful in one area and not in another. I believe what she most warned about in regards to spices is irritation.

Also she pointed out that people's bodies are different. Much of what she wrote she intended to be taken as guidelines.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: The use of spices, condiments, vinegar, tea etc... [Re: Tom] #102379
09/06/08 04:43 PM
09/06/08 04:43 PM
G
gordonb1  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2014

Veteran Member
Quebec
Hello Crater,

All scientific & medical research should be viewed using light from inspiration. Various studies show that moderate use of (fermented) wine benefit the heart, chocolate contains antioxidants, apple cider vinegar is a tonic and eating liver will help an anemic individual.

Few realize the deep flaws within the greatly admired scientific community, or will dare to question or oppose. As with the Roman Church of the middle ages.

Whose literature do we cherish more... that which springs from the Creator of all living things, or that which comes from the corruptible hands of fallen man?

God has one purpose for his children. Reconciliation.

Few scientific/medical bodies have the same goal.

If good elements are mixed with bad, they are not fit for the human temple. The spiritual lesson is here illustrated: Biblical instruction mingled with unsound doctrine is a snare.

Any substance that deranges our perception, through the blood which is formed by the organs of digestion, will impede our ability to hear the still small voice of God.

God has other ways to deal with Diabetes II, hypertension, etc. which do not compromise the human frame. Although claiming the term 'scientists', few researchers will search for the cause of such maladies. Or admit they derive from our indulgent, affluent lifestyle.

But God says "the curse causeless shall not come." Proverbs 26:2

Re: The use of spices, condiments, vinegar, tea etc... [Re: gordonb1] #102387
09/06/08 06:50 PM
09/06/08 06:50 PM
C
crater  Offline OP
Veteran Member
United States
Hi Gordon,

I don't disagree with you as how we should view some of the studies that disagree with SOP.

So my next question would be how do we deal with these type of studies when "others" bring them up? In church sponsored cooking classes, is where the use of spices, condiments, vinegar, tea, coffee, chocolate are brought up. Usually alternatives are offered.

I remember when in school that cinnamon tooth picks were popular. My brother and I bought some cinnamon oil and made some a few times. Cinnamon oil can be irritating to mucus membranes. I don't recall receiving any overt irritation, but it seems like the tooth pick wasn't held in one place for very long. Anyone else make them?

I found a website that offers a supplement called DIABECINN™ and comes with the following warnings;
 Quote:
Warnings and Contra-indications

* Keep our of reach of children
* Dosage adjustments to concurrent antidiabetic medication might be necessary
* Contra-indicated during pregnancy and lactation
* Contra-indicated in hypersensitivity to cinnamon or Peruvian balsam

Side Effects and Special Precautions

The oil in whole ground cinnamon has been associated with mucous membrane sensitization and irritation due to its cinnamaldehyde content. The oil also contains coumarin and eugenol, both having the potential to increase bleeding. Diabecinn™ does not contain coumarin (species specific) and because Diabecinn™ is a water-based extract, the overwhelming majority of oils has been removed.

This significantly decreases the potential for Diabecinn™ to cause toxic effects i.e. GIT irritation and enhanced antiplatelet activity (1). As a precaution however, it is advised to discontinue the use of Diabecinn™ one month prior to surgery and to start again 2-3 weeks afterwards.

Mechanisms of Action

DIABECINN™ contains water-soluble polyphenol polymers from Cortex Cinnamomi. A recent study by Anderson A et.al (2004) has shown that these polymers are specifically responsible for insulin-enhancing biological activity in vitro, in rat adipocytes.(1) This biological activity is unique to these specific polymers and does not extend to other constituents of Cortex Cinnamoni. (1)

During aqueous extraction, the overwhelming majority of lipid-soluble components of Cortex Cinnamoni remain behind, thus significantly decreasing the potential for toxic effects of raw Cortex Cinnamoni if ingested at higher doses or after chronic use.(1)

Under FAQ
4. What is the difference between Diabecinn™ and other cinnamon products?

Diabecinn™ is a special water-based extract (ZN112) of cinnamon. Other commercially available cinnamon products in South Africa contain whole ground cinnamon.

5. What is the benefit of the water-based extract in Diabecinn™?

Ordinary whole ground cinnamon contains oils that can irritate the lining of the mouth, stomach and intestine. These oils may also enhance the effects of blood-thinning agents. During water-based extraction, most of these oils are left behind and therefore the chance of experiencing unwanted side effects is very low. In addition, the extract is a concentrated form of whole ground cinnamon which makes dosing easier.

19. Why can’t I just use normal household cinnamon?

Cinnamon used in the kitchen has a low concentration of active substance (polymers). You would need to take a lot of household cinnamon in order to achieve the same result as taking 1 Diabecinn™ capsule. Also Diabecinn™ is a water- based extract of cinnamon, which is safer to take than regular cinnamon over a long term basis.
It would seem in the case of this particular product that the irritating oil has been removed. It is also taken in an encapsulated form, though it doesn't say where it is digested, it may not be digested until after leaving stomach.

I came across an interesting use for cinnamon oil. TAIPEI, Taiwan, July 16, 2004 (ENS) - Cinnamon oil, derived from the leaves can be used as an environmentally friendly pesticide, with the ability to kill mosquito larvae, new research shows.

Last edited by crater; 09/13/08 02:02 PM. Reason: removed word out of place
Re: The use of spices, condiments, vinegar, tea etc... [Re: crater] #102389
09/06/08 08:00 PM
09/06/08 08:00 PM
G
gordonb1  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2014

Veteran Member
Quebec
 Originally Posted By: crater

So my next question would be how do we deal with these type of studies when "others" bring them up? In church sponsored cooking classes, is where the use of spices, condiments, vinegar, tea, coffee, chocolate are brought up. Usually alternatives are offered.

Hi Crater,

In my mind these are simply rules and regulations, like the Ten Commandments. The same applies to most of SOP. It can all be used for argument. But when the carnal heart is convicted of sin, it will then be distrustful of human reasoning and dependent upon the Spirit's leading. This will cause one to have discernment and appreciation for God's inspired counsel. The church cooking classes design to bring others into church, when the real goal should be to show the great gulf between carnal man and Jesus Christ. Or as EGW entitled the (original) first chapter of Steps to Christ - "The Sinner's Need of Christ".

Studies can be debated, as can EGW counsel and the Bible. But a converted soul will know the Truth and have a desire, power and unction to follow. Conversion is all that matters. Christ takes over from there. Sadly many feel that running a cooking school is the right arm of the message when they don't believe the health laws themselves.

So the answer to your query is to lead others to trust in the Fount of all true knowledge. In all ages human wisdom has collided with Divine. When a man trusts in Christ alone, he will live forever. This will confound the statisticians, but it is the Gospel. Cutting out red meat may only add a few years.

Re: The use of spices, condiments, vinegar, tea etc... [Re: gordonb1] #102480
09/10/08 03:27 PM
09/10/08 03:27 PM
Daryl  Online Canadian

Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
If cutting out red meat may only add a few years, then isn't that worth cutting out the red meat from our daily diet?

In His Love, Mercy & Grace,

Daryl smile

John 8:32 And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.

http://www.christians-discuss.com/forum/index.php
Re: The use of spices, condiments, vinegar, tea etc... [Re: Daryl] #102496
09/11/08 02:20 AM
09/11/08 02:20 AM
D
D R  Offline
Charter Member
SDA
Active Member 2020

East Coast Canada
EGW would have had a field day writting about the dangers of "additives" in our foods, imagine aspertame and other known poisons going into our body and that we would then become addicted to these poisons!? Councils on foods was just that "Council" and if you and I want to acceptthe truth behind it then we must also follow what we learn or are we then any better than the Beer swilling Pork eating Non-sabbath keeping ...?

Re: The use of spices, condiments, vinegar, tea etc... [Re: Daryl] #102517
09/11/08 05:52 PM
09/11/08 05:52 PM
I Am His  Offline
United States
 Originally Posted By: Daryl Fawcett
If cutting out red meat may only add a few years, then isn't that worth cutting out the red meat from our daily diet?

I've seen those who live to be 100 years old. And many of them would be happy to have a 'few years' reduced from their painful lives. Sometimes the 'added' years are a curse rather than a blessing.

Many just long to be with their Saviour.

Re: The use of spices, condiments, vinegar, tea etc... [Re: I Am His] #102573
09/13/08 02:21 PM
09/13/08 02:21 PM
C
crater  Offline OP
Veteran Member
United States
 Originally Posted By: I Am His
 Originally Posted By: Daryl Fawcett

I've seen those who live to be 100 years old. And many of them would be happy to have a 'few years' reduced from their painful lives. Sometimes the 'added' years are a curse rather than a blessing.

Many just long to be with their Saviour.
If we were to follow the council of scripture and SOP we would most likely have a better quality of life even in the twilight years. Though there are other factors such as traumatic injury and genetics, life style plays a major factor in how we age.

May we all long to be with the Lord! \:\)

Re: The use of spices, condiments, vinegar, tea etc... [Re: crater] #102582
09/13/08 03:34 PM
09/13/08 03:34 PM
G
gordonb1  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2014

Veteran Member
Quebec
To "I Am His",

Are you promoting rock & roll music?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderator  Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/12/24 10:01 AM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 05/06/24 12:18 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by dedication. 05/06/24 02:37 PM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:33 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:29 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:27 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by kland. 05/06/24 10:32 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!