HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,597
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 14
kland 9
Daryl 3
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Member Spotlight
Kevin H
Kevin H
New York
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
4 registered members (Karen Y, Daryl, dedication, 1 invisible), 3,139 guests, and 19 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 5 of 15 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 14 15
Re: PERFECTION OF CHARACTER -What is it exactly? [Re: teresaq] #111104
04/01/09 08:23 PM
04/01/09 08:23 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Originally Posted By: teresaq
M: Yes, I believe we can feel righteous and holy while we are abiding in Jesus.

A: Can we feel "righteous and holy" while seeing "our own moral deformity"? When Daniel and John saw an unfallen angel, they didn't look like they felt righteous and holy, even though they were abiding in Jesus.

t: yeah, i think all my righteousness would turn to filthy rags if i were to see Jesus, too.

Actually, the Scripture you are inferring here makes it clear our righteousness is filthy rags to start off with - it doesn't turn into filthy rags when we appear in the presence in Jesus. Obviously, therefore, God has something else in mind in the passages I posted above. Do you see what I mean?

Re: PERFECTION OF CHARACTER -What is it exactly? [Re: teresaq] #111105
04/01/09 08:30 PM
04/01/09 08:30 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Originally Posted By: teresaq
Originally Posted By: Mountain Man
Teresaq, how, then, do you recommend people read the passages I posted above?

Also, do you know of Scripture that describes an experience in Christ opposite of the passages I posted above?

And, do you feel secure and right with God when you feel like you're "sinning"?

Quote:
mm: Yes, I believe we can feel righteous and holy while we are abiding in Jesus. I also believe we will feel we have plenty of room to grow and mature in the fruits of the Spirit and that we will feel this way throughout eternity. I do not believe these two ideas are contradictory; instead, I think they are complimentary.

And, yes, we will ever be mindful that without Jesus and that outside of Him we are miserable, wretched sinners. And this is healthy to know and to remember. But I do not believe it is right or healthy to go around thinking we are miserable and wretched sinners while we are abiding in Jesus - because it simply isn't true. Listen:

i didnt catch the either/or mentality before. i can be aware that i am a "miserable, wretched sinners" without feeling miserable and wretched.

not measuring up might be a better description.

Do you agree, then, with what I posted above? Or, is something I said you aren't quite comfortable with?

Also, do you think feeling like you aren't measuring up is right and healthy? Or, did you have something else in mind?

Re: PERFECTION OF CHARACTER -What is it exactly? [Re: Mountain Man] #111126
04/02/09 02:53 AM
04/02/09 02:53 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
Also, do you think feeling like you aren't measuring up is right and healthy? Or, did you have something else in mind?

I'm on the same page with Teresa. I think your ideas here are truly frightening. I recall Ellen White speaking of herself, referring to how she lamented not better reflecting the Master (I can't recall her exact words well enough to find the quote), but it reflected the humility one would expect in a follower of Christ.

As we look to Christ, we see our own unworthiness. As long as we live, our prayer should be, "God, be merciful to me, a sinner." Our only hope is in God's great mercy, grace and love. Not in our own ability to do anything, least of all "measure up."

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: PERFECTION OF CHARACTER -What is it exactly? [Re: Tom] #111129
04/02/09 04:19 AM
04/02/09 04:19 AM
teresaq  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

Very Dedicated Member
CA, USA
Originally Posted By: Tom
Quote:

I'm on the same page with Teresa. I think your ideas here are truly frightening. I recall Ellen White speaking of herself, referring to how she lamented not better reflecting the Master (I can't recall her exact words well enough to find the quote), but it reflected the humility one would expect in a follower of Christ.

As we look to Christ, we see our own unworthiness. As long as we live, our prayer should be, "God, be merciful to me, a sinner." Our only hope is in God's great mercy, grace and love. Not in our own ability to do anything, least of all "measure up."

i couldnt find the words. thank you. thanks

Psa 64:5 ...an evil matter: they commune of laying snares privily; they say, Who shall see them?

Psa 7:14 Behold, he travaileth with iniquity, and hath conceived mischief, and brought forth falsehood. 15 He made a pit, and digged it, and is fallen into the ditch which he made. 16 His mischief (and his violent dealing) shall return upon his own head.

Psa 7:17 I will praise the LORD according to his righteousness: and will sing praise to the name of the LORD most high.
Re: PERFECTION OF CHARACTER -What is it exactly? [Re: Mountain Man] #111183
04/03/09 03:41 PM
04/03/09 03:41 PM
C
Claudia Thompson  Offline OP
England
But the Spirit of Prophecy DOES say things like this:

Ellen G. White Estate
Faith and Works (1979), page 37, paragraph 2
Chapter Title: Christ Our Righteousness
"As Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness," even so was "the Son of man . . . lifted up: that whosoever believeth in Him should not perish, but have eternal life" (John 3:14, 15). If you are conscious of your sins, do not devote all your powers to mourning over them, but look and live. Jesus is our only Saviour; and although millions who need to be healed will reject His offered mercy, not one who trusts in His merits will be left to perish. While we realize our helpless condition without Christ, we must not be discouraged; we must rely upon a crucified and risen Saviour. Poor, sin-sick, discouraged soul, look and live. Jesus has pledged His word; He will save all who come unto Him.

That one ays though we know we are sinful we arent supposed to FOCUS on that.

Here is another:

Ellen G. White Estate
(Australasian) Union Conference Record, May 6, 1907, paragraph 2
Article Title: Are You Light-bearers?-
The lower lights must be kept burning. Jesus is the great light which lights up every man that comes into the world. All heaven is interested in the conflict that is going on in this world between truth and error, light and darkness. The great Source of all light is constantly shining, and those who will catch His rays, and will reflect them upon others, will be light-bearers in this darkened world. We are not pleasing God when we permit our minds to dwell upon our imperfections, mourning constantly over our condition, with our eyes directed continually upon our mistakes and errors. Come to Jesus; He is the light of the world. Take hold of His strength by faith and make peace with Him. Shall you talk of your weakness?--No; no: for that pleases the enemy. Dwell upon the great help that has been provided for you in Jesus, your Redeemer.

Ellen G. White Estate
The Bible Echo, July 2, 1894, paragraph 1
Article Title: Not Self, But Christ.-Mrs. E. G. White.
It is in looking upon our sinful condition, and talking and mourning over our wretchedness, that distress becomes more keen, and pain accumulates. Let the sinner arise in the strength of Jesus; for he has no strength of his own, and let him assert his liberty. Let him believe that the Lord has spoken truth, and trust in Him, whatever may be the feelings of the heart. Let the sinner say, I will look away from my own misery, from the wound of the serpent, to the uplifted Saviour, who has said, "Him that cometh to Me, I will in nowise cast out." Look upon Jesus. "Behold the Lamb of God, which taketh away the sin of the world."

So if we keep on focusing upon our deformities this isnt going to do us any good. We actually do in a way need to "feel" good about ourselves because we are relying upon the merits of Christ and we realize God sees Jesus when He looks at us, right?

Jn:15:15: Henceforth I call you not servants; for the servant knoweth not what his lord doeth: but I have called you friends; for all things that I have heard of my Father I have made known unto you.
Re: PERFECTION OF CHARACTER -What is it exactly? [Re: Mountain Man] #111185
04/03/09 03:52 PM
04/03/09 03:52 PM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
Originally Posted By: Mountain Man
Arnold, I'm sure you couldn't help noticing that my posts above included this aspect of reality. It doesn't appear to me, though, that you are including the other side of the picture portrayed in the passages I posted above. Do you agree that they depict what I've been advocating here? If not, please explain why. Thank you.

True, we are called to overcome sin and obey God. And by God's grace, it can be accomplished.

But there are shades of meaning and varying degrees of overcoming and obeying. The obedience required of the high priest is not the same as that required of the toddler. But to our discussion at hand, the high priest should have a much clearer view of the magnitude of God's glory that he should have a much clearer view of his shortcomings.

Quote:
But he who is truly seeking for holiness of heart and life delights in the law of God, and mourns only that he falls so far short of meeting its requirements. {SL 81.1}

When we get a good view of God's glory, and truly desire to reflect it in our own character, His light will clearly reveal that we fall short of His glory.

By God's grace,
Arnold

There is no excuse for any one in taking the position that there is no more truth to be revealed, and that all our expositions of Scripture are without an error. The fact that certain doctrines have been held as truth for many years by our people, is not a proof that our ideas are infallible. Age will not make error into truth, and truth can afford to be fair. No true doctrine will lose anything by close investigation. RH 12/20/1892
Re: PERFECTION OF CHARACTER -What is it exactly? [Re: Claudia Thompson] #111187
04/03/09 04:40 PM
04/03/09 04:40 PM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
Originally Posted By: Claudia Thompson
So if we keep on focusing upon our deformities this isnt going to do us any good. We actually do in a way need to "feel" good about ourselves because we are relying upon the merits of Christ and we realize God sees Jesus when He looks at us, right?

If we focus on our sins, we are not looking at Jesus because in Him there is no sin. So that's definitely a bad plan. Our focus must be Jesus and His matchless charms.

The seeming paradox is that if we look at ourselves, we will gradually get used to seeing the sin and lose sight of the holiness that we are called to experience. IOW, we will start feeling that we are doing fine. Why? Because we will have no idea what "fine" really means.

In contrast, when we look at Jesus, we will see what true holiness is, and we will see very clearly how far we fall short of it. That will not make us feel very holy.

But here's what we must remember: Feeling is not a safe guide. Often, it has no basis in reality.

When we see holiness, we will feel very unholy. But regardless of that, we can still rejoice because if we are abiding in Christ, His character stands in the place of our own, and we are deemed just because of His merits and for His sake. And that rejoicing comes, not from feeling, but from hearing the word of God.

By God's grace,
Arnold

There is no excuse for any one in taking the position that there is no more truth to be revealed, and that all our expositions of Scripture are without an error. The fact that certain doctrines have been held as truth for many years by our people, is not a proof that our ideas are infallible. Age will not make error into truth, and truth can afford to be fair. No true doctrine will lose anything by close investigation. RH 12/20/1892
Re: PERFECTION OF CHARACTER -What is it exactly? [Re: asygo] #111188
04/03/09 04:52 PM
04/03/09 04:52 PM
E
Elle  Offline
Active Member 2019
Died February 12, 2019

2500+ Member
Canada
Actually, that's the definition of sanctification. So it's a good sign. But we need to constantly remember that it is through Jesus that we are justified as Scripture tells us.
Quote:
Rom 3: 20 Therefore by the deeds of the law there shall no flesh be justified in his sight: for by the law [is] the knowledge of sin.
Rom 3:24 Being justified freely by his grace through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus:
Rom 3:25 Therefore we conclude that a man is justified by faith without the deeds of the law.

Blessings
Re: PERFECTION OF CHARACTER -What is it exactly? [Re: asygo] #111191
04/03/09 05:36 PM
04/03/09 05:36 PM
C
Claudia Thompson  Offline OP
England
Originally Posted By: asygo

If we focus on our sins, we are not looking at Jesus because in Him there is no sin. So that's definitely a bad plan. Our focus must be Jesus and His matchless charms.

The seeming paradox is that if we look at ourselves, we will gradually get used to seeing the sin and lose sight of the holiness that we are called to experience. IOW, we will start feeling that we are doing fine. Why? Because we will have no idea what "fine" really means.

In contrast, when we look at Jesus, we will see what true holiness is, and we will see very clearly how far we fall short of it. That will not make us feel very holy.

But here's what we must remember: Feeling is not a safe guide. Often, it has no basis in reality.

When we see holiness, we will feel very unholy. But regardless of that, we can still rejoice because if we are abiding in Christ, His character stands in the place of our own, and we are deemed just because of His merits and for His sake. And that rejoicing comes, not from feeling, but from hearing the word of God.

I think I see what you mean. While we dont want to focus on our sins because that wont get us anywhere, its by beholding we become changed... beholding Christ, we should have confidence in the merits of Christ, but at the same time when we look at Jesus this makes us see our own shortcomings so that we will know what needs changing. So we dont want to be smug or well I dont know what the word for it is. Like the Pharisee verses the Publican story.

And yes I agree, we should never go by "feelings". Good or bad.

Jn:15:15: Henceforth I call you not servants; for the servant knoweth not what his lord doeth: but I have called you friends; for all things that I have heard of my Father I have made known unto you.
Re: PERFECTION OF CHARACTER -What is it exactly? [Re: Claudia Thompson] #111194
04/03/09 06:22 PM
04/03/09 06:22 PM
teresaq  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

Very Dedicated Member
CA, USA
That one ays though we know we are sinful we arent supposed to FOCUS on that.

it sounds like there are some who can only see an either/or and not a third path.

no one, as far as i know, is saying anything about "focusing on our deformities". to the contrary. as we look at Jesus, really look at Jesus, we become more and more conscious of our deformities. but we are always to keep our eyes and Jesus, study His life, meditate on it, and in so doing as well as appropriating the bible promises we become more and more like Him.

Psa 64:5 ...an evil matter: they commune of laying snares privily; they say, Who shall see them?

Psa 7:14 Behold, he travaileth with iniquity, and hath conceived mischief, and brought forth falsehood. 15 He made a pit, and digged it, and is fallen into the ditch which he made. 16 His mischief (and his violent dealing) shall return upon his own head.

Psa 7:17 I will praise the LORD according to his righteousness: and will sing praise to the name of the LORD most high.
Page 5 of 15 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 14 15

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 04/25/24 09:37 AM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 04/21/24 06:41 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 04/24/24 02:15 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by dedication. 04/01/24 07:48 PM
Time Is Short!
by ProdigalOne. 03/29/24 10:50 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!