HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,598
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 14
kland 9
Daryl 3
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (ProdigalOne, dedication, Kevin H, Karen Y, Daryl, 1 invisible), 3,200 guests, and 19 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 28 of 49 1 2 26 27 28 29 30 48 49
Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? [Re: William] #112618
05/05/09 07:19 AM
05/05/09 07:19 AM
W
William  Offline
London, England
Quote:

PS: I'll form a complete answer to your thoughts in a later post.

Or, maybe I won't. We'll see. smile Let me explain (by going off topic).

Without going into too much detail, another mate and I had two rather atheistic school-chums leave Cambridge for Loma Linda, and out of nowhere they were mysteriously moved to reconnect to their parent's Adventist tradition. Fancy that? And though mindfully sorting through their pluralistic environment utterly consumed them, much to their parents shock and joy, I just received mail this morning that they both apparently decided last Friday to attend church (a youth Sabbath School) for the first time in years. Needless to say, I'm beside myself, as are their parents and a few others, who are also very dear to us.

And some of you on this forum helped in ways unimaginable. Believe me. Long story short, because a few of you were so absolutely brilliant in arguing either view (you know who you are!), my friend's new-found grasp on the doctrine of Christ, and specifically God's incomprehensible condescension, stirred them to dig even further down into their religious roots. And I know they will keep digging until every theological curiosity is unearthed. To be honest, until a mutual friend of ours discovered Maritime a few years ago through one of his overseas friends, there appeared to be no other platform for them (online or offline) where Christology's finer points were being dissected to this extent and with such intellectual tenacity.

I've said enough for now, I guess. Well, the conclusion is that we often have no idea how by simply discussing a doctrine skillfully, kindly we can gently prod a stranger searching for truth closer to heaven, or in our particular case, closer to Jesus and Adventism's fundamental beliefs. Just imagine having no God at all one minute, then being fully engaged with the God of Scripture the next. Bloody unbelievable, I say. (Sorry, mum.) All of this to say, the principle reason I was challenged to participate on this thread and discuss certain theological issues was for the sake of these two longtime school-chums. (Love you, Annie and Bryce! Ha, don't feel embarrassed.) Thanks to your unique contributions, in a weirdly sad way, I feel my time-consuming “work” is at last consummated (thanks, Rog!)—a peculiar mission accomplished. So, again, from the bottom of my heart, thank you all for being so generous with your time and energy. And always remember, you never know when somebody else out there may be reading and needing a literary nudge toward a welcoming Savior.

William

Last edited by William; 05/05/09 07:35 AM.

:: Harmony not hate leads your opponent's mind to wisdom; beating him there always with tender heart. —Anonymous
Reply Quote
Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? [Re: William] #112629
05/05/09 10:07 PM
05/05/09 10:07 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
Hi, all. My telephone line and internet connection were finally installed today, and I see you have been busy in my absence!

William, it's refreshing to know about the Holy Spirit's working in the lives of your friends. May God continue to bless and guide them.

Reply Quote
Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? [Re: Rosangela] #112630
05/05/09 10:29 PM
05/05/09 10:29 PM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
In the end, God will not ask, "What do you think is the proper place of the Baker letter in the Christological debate?" or "Did the historical SDA position on Christ's flesh help you develop the correct eschatology?" or any such thing. The pertinent question will be, "Have you been saved from your corrupt heart and sinful mind?"

I agree with this. I was having trouble understanding LK's idea in regards to how prelapsarian people cannot have victory over sin. At least, that's how what he said seemed to read. There is a way of reading what he said in a way I might agree with it, but I doubt that's what he had in mind, but without knowing for sure, I can't go beyond saying I'm not understanding where he wanted to go with his comments.

Quote:
T:This is the difficulty I have with your position, as I understand it (you've never clearly described it, AFAIR) because you have the 144,000, or any of us, for that matter, experiencing victories that Jesus Christ never experienced.

A:I must have confused you because that is exactly the position that I am rejecting, not upholding. We cannot have a spiritual experience superior to Christ's in any way.

Correct me if I'm wrong on this, but you believe the 144,000 will have complete victory over sin, don't you?

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Reply Quote
Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? [Re: Rosangela] #112631
05/05/09 10:33 PM
05/05/09 10:33 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
Many aspects of this subject have been discussed, but I would like to comment about a quote which was cited.

Quote:
The Christian is to realize that he is not his own, but that he has been bought with a price. His strongest temptations will come from within; for he must battle against the inclinations of the natural heart. {BEcho, December 1, 1892 par. 4}

I would like to point out that temptations from within come from the carnal heart (mind). Ellen White evidently uses "natural" and "carnal" as synonyms, as the following quotes make clear:

If you would work as Christ worked, if you would overcome as he overcame, go straight to him for help needed to subdue the inclinations of the carnal mind and the passions of the natural heart. {ST, April 1, 1897 par. 12}

All these "natural" infirmities can be overcome by grace. But the "natural," carnal, heart is not subject to the Law of God, neither indeed can be. ... But Jesus says, "my grace is sufficient for you." Yes it is sufficient to overcome and subdue the "natural," carnal, heart. {YI, November 1, 1857 par. 7}

Now is the time to put forth earnest effort to overcome the natural tendencies of the carnal heart. {Mar 243.3}

Of what good would He deprive us? He would deprive us of the privilege of giving up to the natural passions of the carnal heart. {2MCP 647.1}

"The carnal [or natural] mind is enmity against God; for it is not subject to the law of God, neither indeed can be." {ST, May 30, 1895 par. 3} (Brackets in the original)

That which is pleasing to the natural heart and carnal mind is cherished. {SA 149.1}

The refining influence of the grace of God changes the natural disposition of man. Heaven would not be desirable to the carnal-minded; their natural, unsanctified hearts would feel no attraction toward that pure and holy place; ... The carnal propensities which reign in the natural heart must be subdued by the grace of Christ, before fallen man can be elevated to harmonize with Heaven. {8Red 73.1}

Reply Quote
Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? [Re: William] #112638
05/06/09 12:36 AM
05/06/09 12:36 AM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
Originally Posted By: William
And some of you on this forum helped in ways unimaginable.

It looks like the Holy Spirit can still work miracles, in spite of the material He has to work with.

By God's grace,
Arnold

There is no excuse for any one in taking the position that there is no more truth to be revealed, and that all our expositions of Scripture are without an error. The fact that certain doctrines have been held as truth for many years by our people, is not a proof that our ideas are infallible. Age will not make error into truth, and truth can afford to be fair. No true doctrine will lose anything by close investigation. RH 12/20/1892
Reply Quote
Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? [Re: Rosangela] #112639
05/06/09 12:37 AM
05/06/09 12:37 AM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
Originally Posted By: Rosangela
Hi, all. My telephone line and internet connection were finally installed today, and I see you have been busy in my absence!

Welcome back to the 21st century. I've missed you so much. help wink

By God's grace,
Arnold

There is no excuse for any one in taking the position that there is no more truth to be revealed, and that all our expositions of Scripture are without an error. The fact that certain doctrines have been held as truth for many years by our people, is not a proof that our ideas are infallible. Age will not make error into truth, and truth can afford to be fair. No true doctrine will lose anything by close investigation. RH 12/20/1892
Reply Quote
Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? [Re: Tom] #112640
05/06/09 12:46 AM
05/06/09 12:46 AM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
Originally Posted By: Tom
I was having trouble understanding LK's idea in regards to how prelapsarian people cannot have victory over sin.

I'm not exactly sure what he's saying either, but he told me a few years ago that while prelaps can believe in victory over sin, their theology cannot logically arrive at that conclusion. He never explained to me why. And this latest quote seems to assert that the experience of victory is also beyond the grasp of prelaps.

Anyway, I'm guessing he wrote that several years ago.

Quote:
T:This is the difficulty I have with your position, as I understand it (you've never clearly described it, AFAIR) because you have the 144,000, or any of us, for that matter, experiencing victories that Jesus Christ never experienced.

A:I must have confused you because that is exactly the position that I am rejecting, not upholding. We cannot have a spiritual experience superior to Christ's in any way.

Correct me if I'm wrong on this, but you believe the 144,000 will have complete victory over sin, don't you?

Assuming the postlaps definition of sin as willful disobedience, absolutely the 144k have complete victory over sin. Every true Christian, from Adam to the end, lives in complete victory over sin.

By God's grace,
Arnold

Reply Quote
Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? [Re: asygo] #112646
05/06/09 01:46 AM
05/06/09 01:46 AM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
Christ resisted the manifold temptations of Satan on our behalf, and through His name made it possible for us to overcome Satan on our own behalf. When we are burdened, when we are pressed with temptation, when the feelings and desires of the natural heart are contending for the victory, we should offer up fervent, importunate prayer to our heavenly Father in the name of Christ; and this will bring Jesus to our help, so that, through His all-powerful and efficacious name, we may gain the victory and banish Satan from our side.(Christ Triumphant 203)

If we are tempted on one set of things (which require fighting against feelings and desires, requiring fervent prayer), and Christ was tempted on another set of things, which He could defeat simply by following His own inclinations, then what does the one have to do with the other? (To be kept in mind that in addition to taking our sinful flesh, Christ bore our sin.)

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Reply Quote
Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? [Re: Tom] #112647
05/06/09 01:49 AM
05/06/09 01:49 AM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
T:I was having trouble understanding LK's idea in regards to how prelapsarian people cannot have victory over sin.

A:I'm not exactly sure what he's saying either, but he told me a few years ago that while prelaps can believe in victory over sin, their theology cannot logically arrive at that conclusion.

I agree completely with this.

Quote:
He never explained to me why. And this latest quote seems to assert that the experience of victory is also beyond the grasp of prelaps.

I completely disagree with him here, if this is what he is saying, unless this is qualified in some way.

Anyway, a person doesn't have to have a correct theology to know Christ and walk with Him (which equals victory).

Reply Quote
Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? [Re: Tom] #112649
05/06/09 02:12 AM
05/06/09 02:12 AM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
Quote:
T:I was having trouble understanding LK's idea in regards to how prelapsarian people cannot have victory over sin.

A:I'm not exactly sure what he's saying either, but he told me a few years ago that while prelaps can believe in victory over sin, their theology cannot logically arrive at that conclusion.

I agree completely with this.

That would mean that sinful flesh is the key to victory. I don't believe that.

It is easy to arrive at the doctrine of victory over sin without any kind of "lapsarian" at all. All you need is this: Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; old things have passed away; behold, all things have become new. (2 Corinthians 5:17)

If that's not enough, there's this: Whoever has been born of God does not sin, for His seed remains in him; and he cannot sin, because he has been born of God. (1 John 3:9)

If they don't like that, there's this: His divine power has given to us all things that pertain to life and godliness (2 Peter 1:3)

Sticking with Peter, we find this: Because it is written, Be ye holy; for I am holy. (1 Peter 1:16)

No, postlaps do not have a monopoly on it. Just gotta take the Bible as it reads. We non-postlaps can do that, too. We just don't look for victory through the flesh, sinful or otherwise. We look for victory through His divine nature, not our evil nature.

Anyway, a person doesn't have to have a correct theology to know Christ and walk with Him (which equals victory).

LK said this in a sermon:
Originally Posted By: http://www.greatcontroversy.org/gco/rar/kir-tll1.php
But what our church leaders told us in 1974 is still true: “The church’s mission depends on correct theology” (World Leaders in Annual Council Speak to the Church, 1974).

By God's grace,
Arnold

Reply Quote
Page 28 of 49 1 2 26 27 28 29 30 48 49
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled
CAPTCHA Verification

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 04/25/24 09:37 AM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 04/21/24 06:41 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by ProdigalOne. 04/28/24 02:30 AM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by dedication. 04/01/24 07:48 PM
Time Is Short!
by ProdigalOne. 03/29/24 10:50 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!