HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,630
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 24
kland 13
Daryl 2
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
Daryl
Daryl
Nova Scotia, Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
5 registered members (Karen Y, Daryl, dedication, 2 invisible), 2,986 guests, and 7 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Do you have Cold Urticaria? Try the ice cube test to see! #116607
07/24/09 12:19 PM
07/24/09 12:19 PM
E
Elle  Offline OP
Active Member 2019
Died February 12, 2019

2500+ Member
Canada
Hi there, dear brothers and sisters wave

I love swimming and in my years did challenge many to swim in cold water as I wasn't afraid to do so. Have you ever went swimming in the winter, or the earliest of spring when the ice just barely melted? Anyway, I did several times.

However, as I got older and my opportunities to swim gotten reduced by not living near open waters. But when I did have an opportunity to swim in a beautiful spot, at time(as it didn't happen all the time) I started to feel not so good after 10 minutes in the water and pass out. Good thing I made it to shore before passing out smile I couldn't understand what was going on, and always attribute this to polluted waters. I couldn't associate this to me; as I always benefitted from a very healthy life because of our wonderful health message. Never suffered from anything major, nor have any condition, really. Don't even have allergies whatsoever.
Anyway, as I had more opportunities to swim and, at time, the fainting was even associated in the most remotest areas where the waters was virtually "clean", then I even got more confused. (confusion is the only condition I mostly suffer from laugh )

Then one day, I discovered that an area of my arm swelled up after holding, with my arm against my body, a bottle of cold water that had been in the fridge. That area was tingling and itchy too! I couldn't believe it, it was an allergic reaction.

Here's an description of the condition :
Originally Posted By: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cold_urticaria
Cold Uriticaria

Symptom: When the body is exposed to the cold, hives appear. Hives result from dilation of capillaries which allow fluid to flow out into the surrounding tissue which is the epidermis.They resolve when the body absorbs this fluid. The border of a hive is described as polycyclic, or made up of many circles, and changes as fluid leaks out and then is absorbed. Pressing on a hive causes the skin to blanch distinguishing it from a bruise or papule. Hives can last for a few minutes or a few days, and vary from person to person. Also a burning sensation occurs. During a severe reaction, hypotension, which can be life-threatening, can occur. A serious reaction is most likely to occur if the hives occur with less than 3 minutes of exposure (during a cold test).

Cause : The hives are a histamine reaction in response to cold stimuli, including a drastic drop in temperature, cold air, and cold water. There are many causes for cold hives, most are idiopathic (meaning they have no known cause). Some rare conditions can cause cold hives, and it can be useful to test for these conditions if the cold hives are in any way unusual.

Diagnosis : Diagnosis is typically obtained by an allergist or other licensed practitioner performing a cold test. During the cold test, a piece of ice is held against the forearm, typically for 3–5 minutes. A positive result is a specific looking mark of raised red hives. The hives may be the shape of the ice, or it may radiate from the contact area of the ice.

Treatment: Obviously, the most important thing is to stay warm. Some air conditioned rooms and pools may be too cold for the skin. Warming up immediately after exposure to cold temperatures usually helps control the hives before they get worse. Although, the hives do not instantaneously disappear after warming the affected area(s), warming up afterwards reduces the recovery time it takes for the hives to go away. Some patients report that spreading butter or vegetable shortening on their affected areas reduces the risk of future eruptions.

Allergy medications containing antihistamines such as Benadryl, Zyrtec, Claritin, Periactin and Allegra may be taken orally to prevent and relieve some of the hives (depending on the severity of the allergy).[2] There are also topical antihistamine creams which are used to help relieve hives in other conditions but there is not any documentation stating it will relieve hives induced by cold temperature.

Cold hives can result in a potentially serious, or even fatal, systemic reaction ( anaphylactic shock ). People with cold hives may have to carry an injectable form of epinephrine (like Epi-pen or Twinject) for use in the event of a serious reaction.

Contrary to popular belief, immersing the affected area in hot water or a warmer environment does not improve conditions. Immersing the affected area in warm water or a warmer environment is a means of which is used to help bring the allergic reaction under control so it does not become worse.

The best treatment for this allergy is avoiding exposure to cold temperature.

Ebastine has been proposed as an approach to prevent acquired cold urticaria.[3]

I don't do the recommended treatment, I like to do NEWSTART. My condition had gone away the past year and I even could swim with my children. However, I just realize yesterday, that the condition came back. So I'm leaning to believe there's a spiritual factor related to this. I've been reading today that they found that it's related to "gluten intolerance". But I've was free from the condition many times without being free from gluten. However, I will heed to the facts and suspect that a high intake of gluten could increase the susceptibility to the condition.

Here's another reference that makes the distinction between acquired and inherited Cold Urticaria :
Originally Posted By: http://dermnetnz.org/reactions/cold-urticaria.html
The onset of rash after exposure to cold differs between the acquired and hereditary forms.

In the acquired form, symptoms become obvious in 2-5 minutes after exposure and last for 1-2 hours.
In the hereditary form, symptoms may not become obvious until 9 to 48 hours after exposure and may last for up to 24-48 hours.
Signs and symptoms of cold urticaria include:

1. Itchy weals (urticaria) and angioedema that may be localised (affecting certain parts of the body) or generalised (rash over the whole body).

2. In some cases systemic symptoms may develop
.....-Shortness of breath, wheezing
.....-Abdominal pain, gastrointestinal ulcers
.....-Rapid and irregular heartbeat

3. In very severe cases hypotension (drop in blood pressure), shock, collapse and even death may occur
My condition comes and goes and I did experience all 3 symptoms. #3 occurred when swimming however I'm gratefull the Lord preserve my life as I do like to go for long swims and once was heading to cross a lake, but turned back in time to pass out on the shore.

Well I thought it would be good to share this with you all since this condition is somewhat common and in some cases could be fatal.

Here's how to do the ice cube test at home :
Quote:
Cold urticaria can be diagnosed by applying an ice cube against the skin of the forearm for 1-5 minutes. A distinct red swollen rash should develop within minutes in the area exposed to the cold-stimulation test if a patient has cold urticaria.

Blessings
Re: Do you have Cold Urticaria? Try the ice cube test to see! [Re: Elle] #116639
07/25/09 04:15 AM
07/25/09 04:15 AM
teresaq  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

Very Dedicated Member
CA, USA
thanks, elle!! that is an interesting thing to know. smile

Psa 64:5 ...an evil matter: they commune of laying snares privily; they say, Who shall see them?

Psa 7:14 Behold, he travaileth with iniquity, and hath conceived mischief, and brought forth falsehood. 15 He made a pit, and digged it, and is fallen into the ditch which he made. 16 His mischief (and his violent dealing) shall return upon his own head.

Psa 7:17 I will praise the LORD according to his righteousness: and will sing praise to the name of the LORD most high.
Re: Do you have Cold Urticaria? Try the ice cube test to see! [Re: Elle] #116668
07/26/09 02:20 AM
07/26/09 02:20 AM
C
crater  Offline
Veteran Member
United States
That is interesting Elle. I had never heard of that before. Good to know and keep in mind when out recreating. Never know when someone may need assistance.

Do you contribute the "passing out" to anaphylactic shock?

Where did you find the relation to "gluten intolerance"?

Perhaps the ice cube test should be done before starting a hot and cold treatment in hydro therapy?

Re: Do you have Cold Urticaria? Try the ice cube test to see! [Re: crater] #116857
07/30/09 03:52 AM
07/30/09 03:52 AM
M
Murian  Offline
Posting New Member
Colorado, USA
Hi, Elle,
My husband is "allergic" to cold. He can be doing something as simple as driving the car with his arm on the open window ledge, and at about 50-55 degrees, he will break out in hives on his arm, and they will spread. Back in the 80's, we were going to a naturopath in Tennessee, who said it was because his adrenal gland had been injured, and recommended hot and cold fomentations every night for about 15 minutes. Within about six weeks, the hives were 90% better! Of course, 25+ years has seen us stop the fomentations. He still gets hives from the soles of his feet to the top of his head, if he is out of doors in cold weather. They are not as bad as they used to be when he was younger, but they can give him itching fits. An MD suggested poor circulation. Nah. Diet? doubtful, because like you, we are very careful of what/when we eat/drink. He exercises every day, in the dry sauna several times a week. Been to the dr. four times in 49 years - he is in excellent health. I appreciate your information on Cold Urticaria. I am going to do more reading on that. It would be interesting to know if that is what he has. If it wasn't so late - I'd have an ice cube on his arm right now!

Thanks again for this interesting info...

Murian

Murian
Re: Do you have Cold Urticaria? Try the ice cube test to see! [Re: Murian] #116861
07/30/09 12:13 PM
07/30/09 12:13 PM
E
Elle  Offline OP
Active Member 2019
Died February 12, 2019

2500+ Member
Canada
Hi Murian, Thank you for sharing your husband experiences with this conditon. Right now I need to run, but will get back on this with more info in about 4 days.

Blessings
Re: Do you have Cold Urticaria? Try the ice cube test to see! [Re: crater] #117029
08/03/09 12:39 AM
08/03/09 12:39 AM
E
Elle  Offline OP
Active Member 2019
Died February 12, 2019

2500+ Member
Canada
Originally Posted By: crater
That is interesting Elle. I had never heard of that before. Good to know and keep in mind when out recreating. Never know when someone may need assistance.

Yes, it’s nice to know as swimming being a popular summer activity and uritcaria is now found to be common in children.

The little one might complaint of not feeling so good or just lay down on the beach after a swim, and you might wave it off as being tired or blaming it on not eating properly.

Frequency of Uritcaria in the US.
Quote:
Urticaria is common in infancy and childhood, although the exact frequency is unknown. Urticaria affects 15-25% of the US population. Several large studies indicate that 3% of preschool-aged children and 2% of older children are affected. Chronic idiopathic urticaria, in which lesions of an unknown etiology last longer than 6 weeks, is estimated to occur in as much as 3% of the population.
Quote found : http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/888806-overview

Urticaria is a vascular reaction pattern affecting
1/5th of the population sometime or the other in their
lives, whose primary lesions of wheal appear suddenly
as red, raised, itchy circumscribed areas of dermal
oedema, last for a few hours and then fade away to
reappear in the same or other places.

http://medind.nic.in/maa/t04/i4/maat04i4p372.pdf

Anaphylactic Shock
Originally Posted By: Crater
Do you contribute the "passing out" to anaphylactic shock?.
Yes, usually after a swim as the entire skin area of the body reacts to the cold.
Quote:
A serious and interesting feature of cold urticaria is anaphylaxis. It is observed in one third to one half of adult patients.3,4,7 Anaphylaxis has resulted in several deaths either directly from the anaphylactic reaction or by drowning when swimming in cold water. This makes it imperative to identify patients with cold urticaria, counsel them and/or their parents, and provide them with an epinephrine autoinjector.
Quote found : http://pediatrics.aappublications.org/cgi/content/full/113/4/e313

Celiac Disease / Gluten intolerance
Where did you find the relation to "gluten intolerance"?.
The articles below seems to point as gluten intolerance as a possible factor. From what I'm reading on the web and my understanding of the disease, I think that cold Uricaria is a complex multi=factorial disease. Some benefitted from a gluten-free diet, others have not.

I know for myself that my diet is very high in gluten as I'm vegan and conscient that I'm not eating enough veges/fruits. I've been working in correcting this not because of the cold uriticaria as I was unaware it had a relation but just because I know it is more healthy. Anyway here's a few quotes I found on-line.
Quote:
Cold urticaria can be associated with blood and thyroid disorders, drugs, or infections. Celiac disease is an autoimmune enteropathy caused by permanent gluten intolerance. It is often associated with other autoimmune diseases, such as chronic idiopathic urticaria. Nevertheless, association with cold urticaria has not yet been described. A boy aged 3 years 8 months presented local urticaria-angioedema when exposed to cold temperatures. An ice cube test was positive and iron deficiency anemia was demonstrated. He later developed legume intolerance, rhinoconjunctivitis related to pollen sensitization, and asthma. Due to persistence of cold urticaria symptoms and refractory anemia, a test for immunoglobulin A autoantibodies to tissue transglutaminase and an intestinal biopsy were performed. Results of both tests were compatible with celiac disease.A study of human leukocyte antigen indicated a high risk phenotype (HLA, DR6/DR7; DQA 0501, 0201; DQB 0301, 0201). After 7 months of a gluten-free diet, the boy's anemia resolved and he is free of symptoms when exposed to cold. This is a first description of the possibility of an association between celiac disease and cold urticaria. A poor course of cold urticaria in the absence of evidence of another underlying condition should lead to suspicion of celiac disease.
PMID: 18447142 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE
Quote:
Urticaria and Gluten Sensitivity
Chronic urticaria: a cutaneous manifestation of celiac disease.
Can J Gastroenterol. 2006 Apr;20(4):291-3. Haussmann J, Sekar A. Ottawa Hospital, Ottawa, Ontario.
Celiac disease, or gluten-sensitive enteropathy, is an immune-mediated disease of the small bowel that results in malabsorption. It classically presents with gastrointestinal symptoms including chronic diarrhea, weight loss, abdominal bloating and anorexia. It is becoming more frequently identified in asymptomatic patients with a diagnosis of deficiencies related to malabsorption of iron, folic acid, vitamin B12 and vitamin D. It is increasingly identified as a cause for early or refractory osteoporosis. Occasionally, celiac disease presents with cutaneous manifestations alone. Dermatitis herpetiformis is a well-recognized cutaneous manifestation of celiac disease. Other cutaneous manifestations include alopecia, angular stomatitis and aphthous ulcerations. Described here is a case of a 24-year-old woman who presented with intermittent urticaria and gastrointestinal complaints. She was found to have celiac disease on small-bowel biopsy. Both her gastrointestinal symptoms and urticaria resolved when she was put on a gluten-free diet, suggesting that her urticaria was a cutaneous manifestation of celiac disease.

Quote found : http://www.raysahelian.com/urticaria.html

Ice-Cube Test before Hydro-Therapy
Perhaps the ice cube test should be done before starting a hot and cold treatment in hydro therapy?
I think this would be a wise precaution, especially if you are employing Hydro-Therapy within your health ministry to people you don't know very well.

Blessings
Re: Do you have Cold Urticaria? Try the ice cube test to see! [Re: Murian] #117030
08/03/09 01:13 AM
08/03/09 01:13 AM
E
Elle  Offline OP
Active Member 2019
Died February 12, 2019

2500+ Member
Canada
Originally Posted By: Murian
Hi, Elle,
My husband is "allergic" to cold. He can be doing something as simple as driving the car with his arm on the open window ledge, and at about 50-55 degrees, he will break out in hives on his arm, and they will spread. Back in the 80's, we were going to a naturopath in Tennessee, who said it was because his adrenal gland had been injured, and recommended hot and cold fomentations every night for about 15 minutes. Within about six weeks, the hives were 90% better! Of course, 25+ years has seen us stop the fomentations. He still gets hives from the soles of his feet to the top of his head, if he is out of doors in cold weather. They are not as bad as they used to be when he was younger, but they can give him itching fits. An MD suggested poor circulation. Nah. Diet? doubtful, because like you, we are very careful of what/when we eat/drink. He exercises every day, in the dry sauna several times a week. Been to the dr. four times in 49 years - he is in excellent health. I appreciate your information on Cold Urticaria. I am going to do more reading on that. It would be interesting to know if that is what he has. If it wasn't so late - I'd have an ice cube on his arm right now!

Hi Murian, Thank you for sharing your husband experience. I feel less alone now knowing that I'm not the only one that is in good health and having this weird condition. Many people on-line with this condition, have many other conditions since they have the typical american diet. Knowing myself and my lifestyle, it really puzzled me why I would have Urticaria.

That's why I was suspecting that the main source of the problem needs to be related to a spiritual problem which can result to autoimmune responce. I had listened to Dr. Sang Lee explaining autoimmunity disease and according to his observation, he saw cases (other autoimmune diseases since he probably never heard of urticaria) triggered by hatred toward self or being hard on yourself. Once the spiritual problem was corrected, the disease was gone. I had never related Urticaria as being an autoimmune condtion, but now I strongly suspect this as the main cause as mine goes away even when my diet is at my worst and comes again. So I suspect that the diet(gluten intake) is not a major player.

I will relisten to Dr. Lees tapes on autoimmune disease and see if I can explain this for you better later on. Till then, here is a few quote on-line talking about the relation with autoimmune responce.
Quote:
Cold urticaria may also be caused by a number of underlying medical problems, including a variety of infections, autoimmune diseases, some cancers, and side effects from certain medications. There are also forms of cold urticaria that run in families. http://allergies.about.com/od/urticariahives/a/coldurticaria.htm

Urticaria or conditions that resemble urticaria can be caused by lupus, hepatitis, infectious diseases, viral diseases, cryoglobulinemia (abnormal proteins in the blood), mastocytosis (too many mast cells in the body), autoimmune diseases, urticarial vasculitis, rheumatoid diseases, mononucleosis, scabies, and syphilis.
http://www.allergynursing.com/questions3/cold_urticaria.html

Though CU is a tissue reaction pattern of diverse
aetiologies (Fig 1), many cases previously regarded as
idiopathic and labelled chronic idiopathic urticaria (CIU),
are now being ascribed to autoimmunity. Still in many,
the cause remains obscure....
The concept of autoimmune urticaria has evolved over
the past decade as evidence for histamine-releasing
autoantibodies and their relationship to disease activity
has accrued. Several lines of evidence support this
concept......
Considerable disability and even death can result from
CU/angioedema, reaction patterns of diverse etiologies.
Though clinical and historical cues along with relevant
investigations help unravel the possible cause in a vast
majority, some cases defy all efforts. Recent research
into the kaleidoscope of chronic urticaria has revealed
many recalcitrant cases of so-called CIU to have definite
autoimmune basis and accelerated the addition of
biological options like peptides and antibodies (IgE
receptor specific, anti IgE, Anti TNFa and anti-IL5) to
traditional treatment modalities (immunosuppressives,
plasmapheresis, leukotriene antagonists, IVIg, etc.) of
autoimmune disorders.
http://medind.nic.in/maa/t04/i4/maat04i4p372.pdf

Blessings

Moderator  Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 05/06/24 12:18 PM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/05/24 05:39 AM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by dedication. 05/06/24 02:37 PM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:33 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:29 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:27 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by kland. 05/06/24 10:32 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!