HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,600
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 14
kland 9
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Member Spotlight
Rick H
Rick H
Florida, USA
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (Karen Y, dedication, ProdigalOne, Kevin H, Daryl, 1 invisible), 2,944 guests, and 18 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Lesson #7 - Rest and RESTORATION #125342
05/12/10 07:20 PM
05/12/10 07:20 PM
Daryl  Online Canadian
OP
Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
Here is the link to the material for this week's study:

http://ssnet.org/qrtrly/eng/10b/less07.html

In His Love, Mercy & Grace,

Daryl smile

John 8:32 And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.

http://www.christians-discuss.com/forum/index.php
Reply Quote
Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Re: Lesson #7 - Rest and RESTORATION [Re: Daryl] #125346
05/12/10 08:24 PM
05/12/10 08:24 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
I've just received this from Creative Ministry:

Quote:
If you need some good reasons why it’s important to get your sleep, here are six from the ShapeFit website:

1. Learning and memory: Sleep helps the brain commit new information to memory through a process called memory consolidation. In studies, people who slept after learning a task did better on tests later.

2. Metabolism and weight: Chronic sleep deprivation may cause weight gain by affecting the way our bodies process and store carbohydrates, and by altering levels of hormones that affect our appetite.

3. Safety: Sleep debt contributes to a greater tendency to fall asleep during the daytime. These lapses may cause falls and mistakes such as medical errors, air traffic mishaps, and road accidents.

4. Mood: Sleep loss may result in irritability, impatience, and moodiness. Too little sleep can also leave you too tired to do the things you like to do.

5. Cardiovascular health: Serious sleep disorders have been linked to hypertension, increased stress hormone levels, and irregular heartbeat.

6. Disease: Sleep deprivation alters immune function, including the activity of the body's killer cells. Keeping up with sleep may also help fight cancer.

Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #7 - Rest and RESTORATION [Re: Rosangela] #125370
05/14/10 04:11 PM
05/14/10 04:11 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
This was in my archive. I forgot to write down the source:

God designed the Sabbath to put their [Adam and Eve's] mind at ease — give them rest, if you will — by letting them know three important things:

1. YOU DON’T EARN GOD’S BLESSINGS. Adam and Eve hadn’t worked one minute; they had earned nothing; everything they were to receive was a gift.

2. GOD’S PREPARATION PRECEDES OUR NEED. They came to understand that God was preparing for them before they even existed; His provisions were trustworthy.

3. HUMANS ARE VALUED FOR WHAT THEY ARE, NOT FOR WHAT THEY DO. God prepared for them, accepted and loved them before they had done anything; nothing they could do would make them more loved or accepted.

Those lessons were reinforced with the celebration of each new Sabbath, no matter what humanity had or had not done. Imagine the sense of reassurance and peace that came to humans as they celebrated weekly the knowledge that their standing with God was based, not on their works, but on God’s love. It makes it easier to understand why Jesus said that “the Sabbath was made for man” (Mark 2:27).

The good news is that the writer of the book of Hebrews reminds us that the same rest remains for any of us who might choose to believe and receive it (Hebrews 4:9). And in a world where who we are seems much less important than what we do, and where insecurity and fear haunt us daily, we desperately need this rest! But what’s most important to me as a failing, falling human being, is that I have often felt unworthy of the love and grace that God gives to me so freely. Far too often I go through days that leave me feeling stripped, barren, and by the end of the week I doubt my own value. Then Sabbath comes, and I remember that it’s not about what I’ve accomplished and earned; it’s about what God has accomplished for me and offers to me freely, if only I will trust Him. In the light of that truth, my soul finds rest.

Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #7 - Rest and RESTORATION [Re: Rosangela] #125379
05/14/10 09:31 PM
05/14/10 09:31 PM
C
crater  Offline
Veteran Member
United States
Would this be a good place for this post?

Non-religious can observe the Sabbath! One doesn't have to be religious to observe the Sabbath. Judith Shulevitz, author of "The Sabbath World" talks with CNN's Don Lemon.
Quote:
Editorial Reviews
Review
“Shulevitz has achieved something nearly impossible. She has written a book about the Sabbath that is truly singular.”—Moment magazine

"This book will make you think differently about time, religion and your job. Read it on a Saturday or a Sunday or a weekday, but do read it."—AJ Jacobs, author of The Year of Living Biblically

"The Sabbath World is not merely riveting, wise and at times breathtakingly beautiful, it just might change your life." —Jonathan Safran Foer

"One of the many wonders of this beautiful and necessary book is that it manages to explore the meaning of the Sabbath with clarity and erudition, and simultaneously to awaken in the reader a deep longing for something that lives beyond words. What a pleasure to find a book written with the head and the heart."—Jonathan Rosen, author of The Talmud and the Internet

"Many times while reading this book, I wished I had written it myself. It is enlightening and comforting to see that someone else has struggled with the Sabbath as I have—with the impossibility of removing oneself from the current of modern life, and with the equal impossibility of being forever caught in that current. Shulevitz's history of the Sabbath in Jewish and Christian traditions is thorough and honest, recalling the social and moral force that underlies our understanding of time, no matter how secular we consider ourselves to be. This is a story of impossibilities—and of why, in our hyper productive world, the impossible is exactly what we need."—Dara Horn, author of All Other Nights

"Someone once told me that Judith Shulevitz is the smartest writer in New York today. The Sabbath World contains all her formidable intelligence: It’s learned, thoughtful, and elegant. But it’s also much, much more. The writing is compassionate, revealing, and deeply personal...
Product Description
“Everyone curls up inside a Sabbath at some point or other. Religion need not be involved.”

The Sabbath is not just the holy day of rest. It’s also a utopian idea about a less pressured, more sociable, purer world. Where did this notion come from? Is there value in withdrawing from the world one day in seven, despite its obvious inconvenience in an age of convenience? And what will be lost if the Sabbath goes away?

In this erudite, elegantly written book, critic Judith Shulevitz weaves together histories of the Jewish and Christian sabbaths, speculations on the nature of time, and a rueful account of her personal struggle with the day. Shulevitz has found insights into the Sabbath in both cultural and contemporary sources—the Torah, the Gospels, the Talmud, and the writings of the Apostolic Fathers, as well as in the poetry of William Wordsworth, the life of Sigmund Freud, and the science of neuropsychology. She tells stories of martyrdom by Jews who died en masse rather than fight on the Sabbath and describes the feverish Sabbatarianism of the American Puritans. And she counterposes the tyranny of religious law with the equally oppressive tyranny of the clock. Can we really flourish under the yoke of communal discipline, as preachers and rabbis like to tell us? What about being free to live as we please? Can we preserve what the Sabbath gives us—a time outside time—without following its rules?

Whatever our faith or lack thereof, this rich and resonant meditation on the day of rest will remind us of the danger of letting time drive us heedlessly forward without ever stopping to reflect.

From the Hardcover edition.

http://www.amazon.com/Sabbath-World-Glimpses-Different-ebook/dp/B0036S4DB0/ref=kinw_dp_ke?ie=UTF8&m=AG56TWVU5XWC2

Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #7 - Rest and RESTORATION [Re: crater] #125389
05/16/10 02:27 AM
05/16/10 02:27 AM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
It seems the link is no longer working, crater, but the subject is very interesting. I would like to read Shulevitz's book.

Reply Quote
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled
CAPTCHA Verification

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 04/28/24 11:09 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 04/21/24 06:41 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 04/28/24 09:29 AM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by dedication. 04/01/24 07:48 PM
Time Is Short!
by ProdigalOne. 03/29/24 10:50 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!