HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,611
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 16
kland 9
Daryl 4
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (dedication, Karen Y, Kevin H, Daryl, 2 invisible), 2,944 guests, and 16 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: 4th Quarter 2012 - Growing in Christ [Re: APL] #146496
11/01/12 08:36 PM
11/01/12 08:36 PM
APL  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2020

5500+ Member
Western, USA
Questions: was the prohibition from eating from the fruit of the Tree of the Knowledge of Good and Evil, arbitrary?

Oh, that men might open their minds to know God as he is revealed in his Son! {ST, January 20, 1890}
Reply Quote
Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Re: 4th Quarter 2012 - Growing in Christ [Re: APL] #146497
11/01/12 09:52 PM
11/01/12 09:52 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Neither one were arbitary.

Reply Quote
Re: 4th Quarter 2012 - Growing in Christ [Re: APL] #146498
11/01/12 10:04 PM
11/01/12 10:04 PM
Johann  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2014

Retired Pastor
3000+ Member
Iceland
What is arbitrary?

At the previous Camp Meeting I had been ordained as a pastor/evangelist by my conference when in cooperation with the local elder we won a young couple for the truth. They were both brought up by devoted Lutheran families. When the father of the young lady heard his daughter considered baptism, he asked her how she could turn her back on the Jesus she had learned to love in her home.

The daughter told her parents how much she appreciated the Christian faith they had taught her since her early childhood. She assured them she would never think of turning her back on Jesus. She told them how she through the Bible studies had learned so much more about Jesus, and that Jesus was now calling her to come a step closer to Him. How can I refuse to accept the call of Jesus?

Her father said, if this was the case he would just have to support her in her decision.

This is how Ellen White teaches us to present the Advent Message.

I believe we should never present the Sabbath any other way than an invitation by Jesus Christ to take a step closer to Him. Why did Ellen tell the Brethren around 1888 that our preaching of the commandments had become as dry as the dust on the Hills of Gilboah? That we should proclaim our message with Jesus Christ as the center? Nothing is arbitrary in our religion, neither commandments nor policies. It is all an invitation to accept Jesus Christ as our Savior. If you are not convinced of that I invite you to read 1 John 3:4-24.

"Here is a last piece of advice. If you believe in goodness and if you value the approval of God, fix your minds on the things which are holy and right and pure and beautiful and good. Model your conduct on what you have learned from me, on what I have told you and shown you, and you will find the God of peace will be with you."
Reply Quote
Re: 4th Quarter 2012 - Growing in Christ [Re: APL] #146499
11/01/12 10:20 PM
11/01/12 10:20 PM
Johann  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2014

Retired Pastor
3000+ Member
Iceland
Originally Posted By: APL
Questions: was the prohibition from eating from the fruit of the Tree of the Knowledge of Good and Evil, arbitrary?

Wouldn't you consider this an invitation to live happily in full sympathy and loving care of their Creator?

Again I think 1 John 3:4-24 gives a beautiful picture of the difference between the arbitrary and the relationship with God and your family/neighbor.

"Here is a last piece of advice. If you believe in goodness and if you value the approval of God, fix your minds on the things which are holy and right and pure and beautiful and good. Model your conduct on what you have learned from me, on what I have told you and shown you, and you will find the God of peace will be with you."
Reply Quote
Re: 4th Quarter 2012 - Growing in Christ [Re: Johann] #146504
11/02/12 03:49 AM
11/02/12 03:49 AM
APL  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2020

5500+ Member
Western, USA
Johann, rest assured, I do not see the Sabbath, nor the Tree of Knowledge of G&E as arbitrary! The statement was made, "
PS - Not sure how Sabbath breaking can result in weeping and gnashing of teeth in the lake of fire."

Oh, that men might open their minds to know God as he is revealed in his Son! {ST, January 20, 1890}
Reply Quote
Re: 4th Quarter 2012 - Growing in Christ [Re: APL] #146513
11/02/12 04:00 PM
11/02/12 04:00 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
PS - Not sure how Sabbath breaking can result in weeping and gnashing of teeth in the lake of fire.

That is, not sure how Sabbath breaking naturally results in weeping and gnashing of teeth in the lake of fire. Seems more likely it is imposed punishment. When I break the Sabbath or commit any other sin it hasn't resulted in weeping and gnashing of teeth in the lake of fire. In fact, breaking the Sabbath has never yielded discernible negative results.

Reply Quote
Re: 4th Quarter 2012 - Growing in Christ [Re: Mountain Man] #146530
11/03/12 01:08 AM
11/03/12 01:08 AM
Rick H  Offline

Group: Admin Team
3000+ Member
Florida, USA
Originally Posted By: Mountain Man
PS - Not sure how Sabbath breaking can result in weeping and gnashing of teeth in the lake of fire.

That is, not sure how Sabbath breaking naturally results in weeping and gnashing of teeth in the lake of fire. Seems more likely it is imposed punishment. When I break the Sabbath or commit any other sin it hasn't resulted in weeping and gnashing of teeth in the lake of fire. In fact, breaking the Sabbath has never yielded discernible negative results.
When the people see that the truth of the Sabbath was right there before their eyes the whole time and they missed it, I would certainly say it would be upsetting for most people to say nothing of the consequences...

Reply Quote
Re: 4th Quarter 2012 - Growing in Christ [Re: APL] #146540
11/03/12 03:11 AM
11/03/12 03:11 AM
C
Colin  Offline
Active Member 2012
Very Dedicated Member
E. Oregon, USA
Originally Posted By: APL
Originally Posted By: Colin
Btw, all destruction is not caused by sin alone: God's judgement against sin is also destructive - eg. Noah's flood.

God in Christ wishes that none should perish but all come to repentance, indeed; yet, divine judgement shall happen, too.
OH! I get it. So the wages of sin is really execution by God. Gotchya. Love me, or I'll bring a flood on you, or burn you alive. After all, God is love!

God is love, and holy and just and good.

Our God is a consuming fire, so sin cannot exist in his presence. When probation is over, mercy no longer pleads for sinners: annihilation of the wicked will be God's strange act, given his love, yet unavoidable, since God our Father and his Son our Lord Jesus Christ are holy. smile

Reply Quote
Re: 4th Quarter 2012 - Growing in Christ [Re: Mountain Man] #146550
11/03/12 01:49 PM
11/03/12 01:49 PM
APL  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2020

5500+ Member
Western, USA
Originally Posted By: Mountain Man

So, if the consequences of breaking the Sabbath need to be imposed, then the law of the Sabbath is arbitrary. Just as a speed limit of 55 MPH is arbitrary. That is not to say that a speed limit of 55 MPH is not good, but it is arbitrary. It could be 54 MPH, or 56 MPH, but someone decided, that 55 was what it was going to be. So probably, having Sabbath on Sunday is not so bad, or Friday. And then, if the punishment must be imposed for murder, and stealing, and coveting, or worshiping idols, then God really is a tyrant, and the phrase, "Love me, or I'll kill you" is true. And then lets quote Romans 6:23 this way, "The wages of sin, is execution by God". And we need to change our understand of James 1:13-15, which reads, "Let no man say when he is tempted, I am tempted of God: for God cannot be tempted with evil, neither tempts he any man: 14 But every man is tempted, when he is drawn away of his own lust, and enticed. 15 Then when lust has conceived, it brings forth sin: and sin, when it is finished, brings forth death." We need to change this to when sin is finished, God out of Love will execute you. The penalty is imposed, not intrinsic.

If all this is true, then EGW got it all wrong. Consider:
Quote:
The Law an Expression of God's Idea.--The law of ten commandments is not to be looked upon as much from the prohibitory side as from the mercy side. Its prohibitions are the sure guarantee of happiness in obedience. As received in Christ, it works in us the purity of character that will bring joy to us through eternal ages. To the obedient it is a wall of protection. We behold in it the goodness of God, who by revealing to men the immutable principles of righteousness, seeks to shield them from the evils that result from transgression. {6BC 1085.5}
     We are not to regard God as waiting to punish the sinner for his sin. The sinner brings punishment upon himself. His own actions start a train of circumstances that bring the sure result. Every act of transgression reacts upon the sinner, works in him a change of character, and makes it more easy for him to transgress again. By choosing to sin, men separate themselves from God, cut themselves off from the channel of blessing, and the sure result is ruin and death. {6BC 1085.6}
     The law is an expression of God's idea. When we receive it in Christ, it becomes our idea. It lifts us above the power of natural desires and tendencies, above temptations that lead to sin (Letter 96, 1896).
Do you get the idea that breaking the 10C brings on an Imposed penalty, or an Intrinsic?

Quote:
     The Sinner's Only Hope.--"God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in Him should not perish, but have everlasting life" (John 3:16). God is our creator, benefactor, preserver. The author of all good, He is able to fulfill the purpose that He had in the creation of human beings. {9MR 121.1}
     The wickedness that fills our world is the result of Adam's refusal to take God's word as supreme. He disobeyed, and fell under the temptation of the enemy. "Sin entered into the world, and death by sin; and so death passed upon all men, for that all have sinned" (Romans 5:12). {9MR 121.2}
     God declared, "The soul that sinneth, it shall die" (Ezekiel 18:4). And apart from the plan of redemption human beings are doomed to death. "All have sinned, and come short of the glory of God" (Romans 3:23). But Christ gave His life to save the sinner from the death sentence. He died that we might live. To those who receive Him He gives power that enables them to separate from that which, unless they return to their loyalty, will place them where they must be condemned and punished. {9MR 121.3}
     Christ is the sinner's only hope. By His death He brought salvation within the reach of all. Through His grace all may become loyal subjects of God's kingdom. Only by His sacrifice could salvation be brought within man's reach. This sacrifice has made it possible for men and women to fulfill the conditions laid down in the councils of heaven. {9MR 121.4}
     Christ came to this earth and lived a life of perfect obedience, that men and women, through His grace, might also live lives of perfect obedience. This is necessary to their salvation. "Without holiness no man shall see the Lord" (See Hebrews 12:14).--Manuscript 80, 1900, pp. 2-4. ("A Holy People," July 4, 1900.) {9MR 122.1}
The soul that sins, will it be executed or will it die? Is the penalty imposed or intrinsic?

Quote:
God has given in His word decisive evidence that He will punish the transgressors of His law. Those who flatter themselves that He is too merciful to execute justice upon the sinner, have only to look to the cross of Calvary. The death of the spotless Son of God testifies that "the wages of sin is death," that every violation of God's law must receive its just retribution. Christ the sinless became sin for man. He bore the guilt of transgression, and the hiding of His Father's face, until His heart was broken and His life crushed out. All this sacrifice was made that sinners might be redeemed. In no other way could man be freed from the penalty of sin. And every soul that refuses to become a partaker of the atonement provided at such a cost must bear in his own person the guilt and punishment of transgression…. {DD 16.4}
Did Christ die an execution by God? Is the "hiding of the Father's face" an execution?

Read chapter of The Great Controversy. Is the penalty of trangression intrinsic or imposed?
Quote:
Christ saw in Jerusalem a symbol of the world hardened in unbelief and rebellion, and hastening on to meet the retributive judgments of God. ... {GC 22.1}
For nearly forty years after the doom of Jerusalem had been pronounced by Christ Himself, the Lord delayed His judgments upon the city and the nation. {GC 27.3}
We cannot know how much we owe to Christ for the peace and protection which we enjoy. It is the restraining power of God that prevents mankind from passing fully under the control of Satan. The disobedient and unthankful have great reason for gratitude for God's mercy and long-suffering in holding in check the cruel, malignant power of the evil one. But when men pass the limits of divine forbearance, that restraint is removed. God does not stand toward the sinner as an executioner of the sentence against transgression; but He leaves the rejectors of His mercy to themselves, to reap that which they have sown. Every ray of light rejected, every warning despised or unheeded, every passion indulged, every transgression of the law of God, is a seed sown which yields its unfailing harvest. The Spirit of God, persistently resisted, is at last withdrawn from the sinner, and then there is left no power to control the evil passions of the soul, and no protection from the malice and enmity of Satan. The destruction of Jerusalem is a fearful and solemn warning to all who are trifling with the offers of divine grace and resisting the pleadings of divine mercy. Never was there given a more decisive testimony to God's hatred of sin and to the certain punishment that will fall upon the guilty. {GC 36.1}
Is the penalty intrinsic or imposed? We need to know the answer to this question. If the penalty is imposed, then God really is a tyrant. If the penalty is imposed, then why not impose it at the beginning? But the penalty is not imposed. It is intrinsic. Read Patriarchs and Prophets then chapter, "Why Was Sin Permitted"? Is it clear that if the natural consequences of sin were allowed to proceed, then the on looking universe would not have understood. The would have believed Satan's charges. Read this chapter!

The question about Sabbath keeping, is the penalty for breaking the Sabbath, intrinsic or imposed, needs to be understood. Just as the eating from the Tree of the Knowledge of Good and Evil, needs to be understood whether the penalty is intrinsic or imposed. I will say that I don't have all the answers why how Sabbath breaking caused intrinsic death. But I believe it does and I believe there are hints in science. Conclusive? No, but hints.

Reply Quote
Re: 4th Quarter 2012 - Growing in Christ [Re: Colin] #146551
11/03/12 02:10 PM
11/03/12 02:10 PM
APL  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2020

5500+ Member
Western, USA
Originally Posted By: Colin
God is love, and holy and just and good.

Our God is a consuming fire, so sin cannot exist in his presence. When probation is over, mercy no longer pleads for sinners: annihilation of the wicked will be God's strange act, given his love, yet unavoidable, since God our Father and his Son our Lord Jesus Christ are holy. smile
Question - is sin can not exist in God's presence, then is the destruction of sinners an imposed penalty or intrinsic?

God is a consuming fire, Hebrews 12:29. Isaiah 33:14-15 The sinners in Zion are afraid; fearfulness has surprised the hypocrites. Who among us shall dwell with the devouring fire? who among us shall dwell with everlasting burnings? 15 He that walks righteously, and speaks uprightly; he that despises the gain of oppressions, that shakes his hands from holding of bribes, that stops his ears from hearing of blood, and shuts his eyes from seeing evil;

Again, is the destruction of the wicked and imposed penalty, or is it intrinsic?

Reply Quote
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled
CAPTCHA Verification

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 04/30/24 10:34 PM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 04/21/24 06:41 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Daryl. 05/01/24 07:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!