HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,600
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 14
kland 9
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (Karen Y, dedication, ProdigalOne, Kevin H, Daryl, 1 invisible), 3,050 guests, and 20 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 19 of 24 1 2 17 18 19 20 21 23 24
Re: What does God require before we are baptized? #16972
02/20/06 04:14 AM
02/20/06 04:14 AM
J
John Boskovic  Offline
Dedicated Member
Ontario
MM, Let us understand this. I will set aside theology for a moment and speak some common wisdom.

There is not one man in his right mind in this world (of whatever religion or lack thereof) that thinks he knows everything there is to know. There is not one who thinks they have nothing to learn. Therefore the answer to your question is simple, everyone is ignorant of something. Being ignorant means that your actions in relation to it are oblivious, hence the probability of them being amiss is at least 50/50. To wonder if one is ignorant of something would be a repudiation of reality and hence sin, because it is very evident that everyone is ignorant in something. Therefore the probability of our actions being amiss is very real. But you should know that such actions are not what sin is about and that God does not call that sin. And if God does not call it sin then to think of it as sin is to put oneself above God.

It is because I know that I am ignorant of many things, that I do not wonder about them, much less try to solve them. But I know one who knows all that there is to be known, and He says that if I put my faith in him then I am what I ought to be. Therefore it is righteousness by faith.

The beauty of a child is healthy learning (which implies ignorance). And the Savior said of such is the kingdom of heaven. Nobody expects you to know; nobody faults you for not knowing, that is why you are in school – to learn. Therefore it is by faith and not by works. By faith we learn from our heavenly Father and are righteous as long as we are in faith (having a teachable spirit). Even as a child growing up in wisdom and stature with God and men. We are not orphans that we need to make our way in this world alone; we have a heavenly Father such as cares for you and me.

The question I have for you is this:

Can a child of God know whether their heart is right with God?
What does it mean to have a right heart with God?
What are the means of ascertaining that position?

Re: What does God require before we are baptized? #16973
02/21/06 04:11 AM
02/21/06 04:11 AM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
quote:
Tom wrote:

In the quote she says we often seek Jesus for temporal reasons. There's no sin in that.

Okay, Tom, I can accept this insight. But I cannot believe that a truly born again believer, who is connected to Jesus, can be guilty of distrusting Jesus until He proves Himself.

quote:
John wrote:

1. Can a child of God know whether their heart is right with God?
2. What does it mean to have a right heart with God?
3. What are the means of ascertaining that position?

1. Yes.
2. Living up to the light God has revealed.
3. The Word of God.

John, your ideas on sins of ignorance are confusing to me.

quote:
John wrote:

There is no such a thing as a sin of ignorance, therefore it is falsehood.

Therefore the answer to your question is simple, everyone is ignorant of something.

It is because I know that I am ignorant of many things, that I do not wonder about them, much less try to solve them.

According to this formula, I am led to believe that ignorantly breaking the Sabbath is not a sin that requires the blood of Jesus to atone for.

Re: What does God require before we are baptized? #16974
02/20/06 05:14 PM
02/20/06 05:14 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
MM, here's the quote.

quote:
But like the afflicted father, we are often led to seek Jesus by the desire for some earthly good; and upon the granting of our request we rest our confidence in His love. The Saviour longs to give us a greater blessing than we ask; and He delays the answer to our request that He may show us the evil of our own hearts, and our deep need of His grace. He desires us to renounce the selfishness that leads us to seek Him. Confessing our helplessness and bitter need, we are to trust ourselves wholly to His love. {DA 200.3}
This is talking about unknown selfishness in our hearts.

For some reason you wrote

quote:
But I cannot believe that a truly born again believer, who is connected to Jesus, can be guilty of distrusting Jesus until He proves Himself.
I have no idea why. She's not talking about this. She's talking about our renouncing the selfishness which leads us to seek Jesus.

Re: What does God require before we are baptized? #16975
02/20/06 06:56 PM
02/20/06 06:56 PM
R
rhammen  Offline
Everett, WA USA
John the Baptist distrusted Jesus while he was in prison. Was he born again? I have no doubt that he was. r

Re: What does God require before we are baptized? #16976
02/20/06 09:32 PM
02/20/06 09:32 PM
J
John Boskovic  Offline
Dedicated Member
Ontario
quote:
John, your ideas on sins of ignorance are confusing to me.

John wrote:
quote:
There is no such a thing as a sin of ignorance, therefore it is falsehood.

Therefore the answer to your question is simple, everyone is ignorant of something.

It is because I know that I am ignorant of many things, that I do not wonder about them, much less try to solve them.

There should be nothing confusing if you take the statements in the context they were in. Please explain what is confusing about what I said, and not only what conclusions you draw from what I said.

Re: What does God require before we are baptized? #16977
02/20/06 09:38 PM
02/20/06 09:38 PM
J
John Boskovic  Offline
Dedicated Member
Ontario
quote:
According to this formula, I am led to believe that ignorantly breaking the Sabbath is not a sin that requires the blood of Jesus to atone for.
One being ignorant cannot break the Sabbath. There is no conscience that can register such a thing as breaking something ignorantly. As such it is not a sin and there is no blood needed for cleansing, for the blood of Christ is for the cleansing of our conscience.

Heb 9:14 How much more shall the blood of Christ, who through the eternal Spirit offered himself without spot to God, purge your conscience from dead works to serve the living God?
Heb 10:1 For the law having a shadow of good things to come, and not the very image of the things, can never with those sacrifices which they offered year by year continually make the comers thereunto perfect.
Heb 10:2 For then would they not have ceased to be offered? because that the worshippers once purged should have had no more conscience of sins.

Re: What does God require before we are baptized? #16978
02/20/06 09:47 PM
02/20/06 09:47 PM
J
John Boskovic  Offline
Dedicated Member
Ontario
I asked:
1. Can a child of God know whether their heart is right with God?
2. What does it mean to have a right heart with God?
3. What are the means of ascertaining that position?
quote:
MM responded:
1. Yes.
2. Living up to the light God has revealed.
3. The Word of God.

Your answers are very interesting, but not very enlightening. I don’t see any need for faith or God in your answers.

What happened to ignorance?

Re: What does God require before we are baptized? #16979
02/20/06 10:13 PM
02/20/06 10:13 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
quote:
I don’t see any need for faith or God in your answers.
(!). An interesting observation.

Re: What does God require before we are baptized? #16980
02/20/06 10:20 PM
02/20/06 10:20 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
quote:
What happened to ignorance?
It's still alive and kicking.

Re: What does God require before we are baptized? #16981
02/21/06 01:07 AM
02/21/06 01:07 AM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Tom, the following paragraph comes immediately after the one you like to quote. This type of disbelief in not indicative of born again believers.

The nobleman wanted to see [italicized emphasis is original] the fulfillment of his prayer before he should believe; but he had to accept the word of Jesus that his request was heard and the blessing granted. This lesson we also have to learn. Not because we see or feel that God hears us are we to believe. We are to trust in His promises. When we come to Him in faith, every petition enters the heart of God. When we have asked for His blessing, we should believe that we receive it, and thank Him that we have received it. Then we are to go about our duties, assured that the blessing will be realized when we need it most. When we have learned to do this, we shall know that our prayers are answered. God will do for us "exceeding abundantly," "according to the riches of His glory," and "the working of His mighty power." Eph. 3:20, 16; 1:19. {DA 200.4}

Rhammen, yes, John was tempted to doubt, but he maintained his faith, right?

DA 216
But the Baptist did not surrender his faith in Christ. The memory of the voice from heaven and the descending dove, the spotless purity of Jesus, the power of the Holy Spirit that had rested upon John as he came into the Saviour's presence, and the testimony of the prophetic scriptures,--all witnessed that Jesus of Nazareth was the Promised One. {DA 216.3}

John, you asked what happened to ignorance? I agree with Tom. It is alive and kicking. I also agree with you that everyone is ignorant of something. But I disagree with you that doing unlawful labor during the Sabbath hours is not a sin. It is a sin whether the person knows it or not, whether they are conscious of it or not.

GC 587
We may disguise poison by mingling it with wholesome food, but we do not change its nature. On the contrary, it is rendered more dangerous, as it is more likely to be taken unawares. It is one of Satan's devices to combine with falsehood just enough truth to give it plausibility. {GC 587.1}

God accommodated sins of ignorance through the priests and the earthly sanctuary. It is clear to me that God considers sins of ignorance to be sins in need of blood atonement. God does not hold us accountable for the sins we commit in ignorance, but He does hold Jesus accountable, who died for sins of ignorance the same as any other sin.

Leviticus
15:27 And if any soul sin through ignorance, then he shall bring a she goat of the first year for a sin offering.
15:28 And the priest shall make an atonement for the soul that sinneth ignorantly, when he sinneth by ignorance before the LORD, to make an atonement for him; and it shall be forgiven him.
15:29 Ye shall have one law for him that sinneth through ignorance, [both for] him that is born among the children of Israel, and for the stranger that sojourneth among them.
15:30 But the soul that doeth [ought] presumptuously, [whether he be] born in the land, or a stranger, the same reproacheth the LORD; and that soul shall be cut off from among his people.
15:31 Because he hath despised the word of the LORD, and hath broken his commandment, that soul shall utterly be cut off; his iniquity [shall be] upon him.

Page 19 of 24 1 2 17 18 19 20 21 23 24

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 04/28/24 11:09 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 04/21/24 06:41 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 04/28/24 09:29 AM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by dedication. 04/01/24 07:48 PM
Time Is Short!
by ProdigalOne. 03/29/24 10:50 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!