HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,596
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 14
kland 9
Daryl 3
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Member Spotlight
ProdigalOne
ProdigalOne
Alberta, Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
3 registered members (Karen Y, dedication, 1 invisible), 3,286 guests, and 14 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
How does the Bible describe the Process of Conversion? #166398
06/29/14 04:37 PM
06/29/14 04:37 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
True, real, genuine, thorough conversion is a radical change, a radical transformation. The difference between who they were and who they are is radical. They are born again with a new heart, a new mind, a new nature, new tastes, new motives, new desires, new tendencies - everything about them is radically new and improved. "Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new." 2 Cor 5:17.

Most people I know have an entirely different view of the biblical description of rebirth and conversion. Some believe the Bible describes the process of conversion as people being born again ignorantly practicing certain sinful habits. They believe Jesus withholds revealing to them certain sinful habits and practices until He feels they are ready to confront and crucify them. They interpret 2 Cor 5:17 to mean -

Therefore if any man be in Christ, he begins a lifelong process of gradually becoming a new creature. Old things begin to pass away. Behold, all things slowly, but surely, become new.

Is this what the Bible means? Is this how the Bible describes the process of conversion?

Re: How does the Bible describe the Process of Conversion? [Re: Mountain Man] #166406
06/29/14 06:22 PM
06/29/14 06:22 PM
APL  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2020

5500+ Member
Western, USA
A person may not be able to tell the exact time or place, or to trace all the circumstances in the process of conversion; but this does not prove him to be unconverted. By an agency as unseen as the wind, Christ is constantly working upon the heart. Little by little, perhaps unconsciously to the receiver, impressions are made that tend to draw the soul to Christ. These may be received through meditating upon Him, through reading the Scriptures, or through hearing the word from the living preacher. {DA 172.3}

Oh, that men might open their minds to know God as he is revealed in his Son! {ST, January 20, 1890}
Re: How does the Bible describe the Process of Conversion? [Re: Mountain Man] #166429
06/30/14 03:46 PM
06/30/14 03:46 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Suddenly, as the Spirit comes with more direct appeal, the soul gladly surrenders itself to Jesus. By many this is called sudden conversion; but it is the result of long wooing by the Spirit of God,--a patient, protracted process. {DA 172.3}

So, what is the fruit of this long, patient, protracted process of conversion? Are they born again ignorantly practicing some of the sinful habits they cultivated prior to experiencing conversion (I'm not saying you, APL, think so)? If so, please name specific evil traits of character, habits, practices that Jesus chooses not to reveal to them during the process that ends in conversion.

Re: How does the Bible describe the Process of Conversion? [Re: Mountain Man] #166459
07/01/14 03:19 PM
07/01/14 03:19 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Jesus, through Paul, names several sins newborn believers do not cherish or act out in word or deed while walking in the Spirit. He wrote:

Quote:
Galatians
5:16 [This] I say then, Walk in the Spirit, and ye shall not fulfil the lust of the flesh.
5:17 For the flesh lusteth against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh: and these are contrary the one to the other: so that ye cannot do the things that ye would.
5:18 But if ye be led of the Spirit, ye are not under the law.
5:19 Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are [these]; Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness,
5:20 Idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies,
5:21 Envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like: of the which I tell you before, as I have also told [you] in time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God.

By "and such like" he means any and all sinful habits and practices. Some, however, believe Jesus withholds revealing to newborn believers some of the sinful habits and practices they cultivated prior to experiencing rebirth in God's appointed way, the way described in the Bible. They believe Jesus overlooks certain sinful habits, allowing newborn believer to practice them in ignorance until He feels they are ready to confront and crucify them.

Is it true? Does Jesus withhold truth from newborn believers? Does the Bible describe "the patient, protracted process of conversion" ending in believers sinning in ignorance because Jesus chooses to leave them in ignorance? If so, please name specific cultivated sinful habits and practices Jesus waits to reveal to ignorant newborn believers until He feels they are ready to deal with it.

Re: How does the Bible describe the Process of Conversion? [Re: Mountain Man] #166585
07/04/14 02:41 PM
07/04/14 02:41 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
The idea that people experience rebirth first and then begin a lifelong process of gradually discovering, confessing, and crucifying the sinful habits they cultivated is unbiblical.

Re: How does the Bible describe the Process of Conversion? [Re: Mountain Man] #166601
07/05/14 04:24 PM
07/05/14 04:24 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
Genuine faith always works by love. When you look to Calvary it is not to quiet your soul in the nonperformance of duty, not to compose yourself to sleep, but to create faith in Jesus, faith that will work, purifying the soul from the slime of selfishness. When we lay hold of Christ by faith, our work has just begun. Every man has corrupt and sinful habits that must be overcome by vigorous warfare. Every soul is required to fight the fight of faith. If one is a follower of Christ, he cannot be sharp in deal, he cannot be hardhearted, devoid of sympathy. . . . He cannot be overbearing, nor can he use harsh words, and censure and condemn. {AG 292.4}

Re: How does the Bible describe the Process of Conversion? [Re: Mountain Man] #166602
07/05/14 04:39 PM
07/05/14 04:39 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
The exhortation of the apostle is, “Cleanse your hands, ye sinners; and purify your hearts, ye double minded.” It is by engaging in this work, and by exercising living faith in God, that we are to perfect Christian character. The work of cleansing the soul-temple and preparing for Christ's appearing must be done while we are in this world of temptation. Just as Christ finds us in character when he comes, so we shall remain. We should make daily advancement in the work of character-building. When we try to separate from us our sinful habits, it may at times seem that we are tearing ourselves all to pieces; but this is the very work that we must do if we would grow up unto the full stature of men and women in Christ Jesus, if we would become fit temples for the indwelling of the Holy Spirit. It is not the will of God that we should remain in feebleness and darkness. He would have us put on the whole armor, and fight valiantly the battle against sin and self. And after we have truly repented of our sins, and done all that we can to overcome them, he would have us manifest a calm, unyielding trust in the merits of a crucified and risen Saviour. {HS 134.5, 6}

Re: How does the Bible describe the Process of Conversion? [Re: Mountain Man] #166609
07/05/14 11:48 PM
07/05/14 11:48 PM
jamesonofthunder  Offline
Banned
SDA
Active Member 2015

3500+ Member
USA
Mt Man, When did Peter receive his new name?

Matthew 16:13 "Now when Jesus came into the district of Caesarea Philippi, he asked his disciples, “Who do people say that the Son of Man is?” 14 And they said, “Some say John the Baptist, others say Elijah, and others Jeremiah or one of the prophets.” 15 He said to them, “But who do you say that I am?” 16 Simon Peter replied, “You are the Christ, the Son of the living God.” 17 And Jesus answered him, “Blessed are you, Simon Bar-Jonah! For flesh and blood has not revealed this to you, but my Father who is in heaven. 18 And I tell you, you are Peter, and on this rock I will build my church, and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it. 19 I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven, and whatever you bind on earth shall be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven.” 20 Then he strictly charged the disciples to tell no one that he was the Christ."

They weren't even permitted to testify that Jesus was the Christ yet.

Peter had confessed through the Holy Spirit that Jesus was the Son of God and he received a new name. Was he perfected then? Did he have prejudice and fear in him still?

You said before that Peter was going against conviction when he sinned in prejudice but that is not true. He was afraid when confronted with death. He had pledged his life in an oath but ran away instead of keeping his oath, and he was in ignorance about the sin of prejudice.

Jesus had to test him to reveal the parts of his character that needed improving and to reveal where he was not convicted in truth.

Peter received his new name before he had denied him and Mrs White said he left Gethsemane a CONVERTED MAN after Jesus was betrayed and Peter had denied him.

John 16:12 “I still have many things to say to you, but you cannot bear them now. 13 When the Spirit of truth comes, he will guide you into all the truth, for he will not speak on his own authority, but whatever he hears he will speak, and he will declare to you the things that are to come.

That was spoken before the betrayal. Judas had left but there were many things not yet known in their ignorance. Thomas denied Christ by not believing in the resurrection. But the promise was that they WOULD BE fully converted. They all believed Jesus was a ghost when they saw Him. Would that be ignorance?

Are you saying Jesus left the future of the church in the hands of people that were not converted? They didn't receive the Holy Spirit until the day of Pentecost and still Peter had prejudice and it was not something he was going against his convictions on or his sin would have removed him from the position.

In the other thread you said Peter was going against his convictions when being prejudiced. That would be way worse than being in ignorance would it not?

Acts 17:30 And the times of this ignorance God winked at; but now commandeth all men every where to repent:

The knowledge of sin is way worse than being ignorant of sin. Would Jesus have put Peter in charge if he was willingly committing sin?

Hebrews 10:26 For if we sin wilfully after that we have received the knowledge of the truth, there remaineth no more sacrifice for sins,

Search me oh God and know my heart, test me and know my anxious thoughts, see if there is any offensive way in me and lead me to the way everlasting. Amen
Re: How does the Bible describe the Process of Conversion? [Re: Rosangela] #166610
07/05/14 11:49 PM
07/05/14 11:49 PM
jamesonofthunder  Offline
Banned
SDA
Active Member 2015

3500+ Member
USA
Originally Posted By: Rosangela
The exhortation of the apostle is, “Cleanse your hands, ye sinners; and purify your hearts, ye double minded.” It is by engaging in this work, and by exercising living faith in God, that we are to perfect Christian character. The work of cleansing the soul-temple and preparing for Christ's appearing must be done while we are in this world of temptation. Just as Christ finds us in character when he comes, so we shall remain. We should make daily advancement in the work of character-building. When we try to separate from us our sinful habits, it may at times seem that we are tearing ourselves all to pieces; but this is the very work that we must do if we would grow up unto the full stature of men and women in Christ Jesus, if we would become fit temples for the indwelling of the Holy Spirit. It is not the will of God that we should remain in feebleness and darkness. He would have us put on the whole armor, and fight valiantly the battle against sin and self. And after we have truly repented of our sins, and done all that we can to overcome them, he would have us manifest a calm, unyielding trust in the merits of a crucified and risen Saviour. {HS 134.5, 6}

Amen!

Search me oh God and know my heart, test me and know my anxious thoughts, see if there is any offensive way in me and lead me to the way everlasting. Amen
Re: How does the Bible describe the Process of Conversion? [Re: Mountain Man] #166617
07/06/14 01:50 AM
07/06/14 01:50 AM
dedication  Online Content
Global Moderator
Supporting Member 2022

5500+ Member
Canada
Originally Posted By: Mountain Man
The idea that people experience rebirth first and then begin a lifelong process of gradually discovering, confessing, and crucifying the sinful habits they cultivated is unbiblical.

Conversion is a "turning around" point in ones life, it is not the "arriving point" of maturity.

Indeed the Holy Spirit will lead a person all their lives to root out defects of characters.

Conversion is the point where a person recognizes they are a sinner in need of a Savior and confess in repentance the same to Christ. They rise from their baptism to walk AND GROW in newness of life, and to grow - yes, by following the leading of the Holy spirit by "putting to death the deeds of the flesh" Romans 8:13.

When Jesus told Peter "When you are converted" He wasn't saying when you have overcome all sin in your life, but rather, he was saying "When you realize you are a sinner and must constantly depend upon Christ to enable you to walk on the path of righteousness, then you are ready to feed my sheep.

Peter fell because he was depending upon self, he thought he was strong and really didn't need a Savior (even though he loved Christ) and he even declared -- in Matt. 26 " , Though all men shall be offended because of thee, yet will I never be offended."

He converted from self into someone who depended upon a Savior , he thought he could do it in his own power and strength. he felt strong in himself.

At conversion a person realizes they are in need of a Savior, "without Him we can do nothing" with God all things are possible.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 04/25/24 09:37 AM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 04/21/24 06:41 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 04/01/24 08:10 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 04/24/24 02:15 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by dedication. 04/01/24 07:48 PM
Time Is Short!
by ProdigalOne. 03/29/24 10:50 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!