HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,612
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 16
kland 9
Daryl 4
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
5 registered members (dedication, Karen Y, Kevin H, Daryl, 1 invisible), 2,990 guests, and 18 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rating: 1
Page 9 of 13 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 12 13
Re: David Gates' prediction re Spring 2019 [Re: JAK] #187991
12/08/18 06:18 AM
12/08/18 06:18 AM
ProdigalOne  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024
Supporting Member 2023

Dedicated Member
Alberta, Canada
Originally Posted By: JAK
Originally Posted By: ProdigalOne
Where was this outrage when a practicing lesbian was baptized in California?
Daryl, Mark, and anyone else with an opinion, I would be grateful for your thoughts

Here's a thought: Where was the REJOICING when a practicing SINNER came to Jesus?

Oh Wait!! Sorry, ProdigalOne, I'm being negative again. You surely don't want THAT opinion.

It is true that we come to Jesus just as we are. It is also true that baptism is a sign of repentance. The sinner dies to her sin and is reborn as a child who seeks the Light. Yes, we should definitely rejoice when a practicing sinner comes to Jesus. But, baptism is an outward sign of an inward change. No one should be baptized who has not repented of sin. Baptizing an unrepentant sinner is claiming that there is no such thing as sin, and no need to die to it!

When the woman caught in adultery was brought to Jesus, he said: “Go and sin no more”...

JAK, I can see that you have been hurt. I have no wish to add to your pain. If you need to vent your frustrations here, I have no objection. Please, forgive me if I am not always as patient as I should be. God is still working on me too.

"...I will not forget you.
Behold, I have graven thee upon the palms of my hands..."

Isaiah 49:15-16
Re: David Gates' prediction re Spring 2019 [Re: kland] #187992
12/08/18 06:50 AM
12/08/18 06:50 AM
ProdigalOne  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024
Supporting Member 2023

Dedicated Member
Alberta, Canada
Originally Posted By: kland

While "imminent" and "soon" may have somewhat similar meanings, the connotations are far different. "Soon" registers as relaxed, even lackadaisical: your food will be here soon; this movie is coming soon...
Whereas, "imminent" invokes a solemn sense of immediacy, urgency, uncertainty, even peril!
ProdigalOne,
In light of what you just said, what would you say in regards to it's been 100 years now, a period of time Gates mentioned as being "soon"?

And regarding what APL said, although Gates did say he wasn't setting a date, (then proceeded to say maybe), when nothing happens this spring, what will others conclude about Adventists, about Gates?

Firstly, when considered on a 6000 year scale, 100 years is a drop in the bucket.
Secondly, didn’t Sister White say something to the effect that if the church had faithfully given the Midnight Cry, that Jesus would have already returned? That sounds “imminent” to me.

Do you believe that Jesus will delay His coming for another 100 years? Is it possible that He will come within the next year? 2 years? 5 years? How long should we wait, before we give the warning that His coming is “near, even at the door”? Is it possible that, as with the Midnight Cry spoken of by Sister White, God is waiting for us to step out in faith?

As for what others will think about Adventists if nothing happens this spring, the message of David Gates is not for others. It is for the church. He is warning us to get ready, put on our wedding garments, put away our sins, and seek God. Most of the people I have seen and spoken to who had a bad view of Adventism were not turned off because of date setting. They were driven away by the sins, hypocrisy, and bickering of Adventists! I know this from bitter personal experience, my own as well as that of people I love.

If we truly desire to attract non-Christians and those in other folds to the Adventist message, then we would be well advised to start living that message, put away fruitless disputes, purify our characters, and seek the good of our brothers and sisters above our own. This is what David Gates has said is the focus of his message.

Re: David Gates' prediction re Spring 2019 [Re: JAK] #187993
12/08/18 06:54 AM
12/08/18 06:54 AM
ProdigalOne  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024
Supporting Member 2023

Dedicated Member
Alberta, Canada
Quote:
JAK, what was the message Jesus gave to that sinner? Sin no more?

My Apologies! blush I didn't realize I was addressing people who no longer sin! My bad.

So, Jesus told her to do something that was impossible?

Re: David Gates' prediction re Spring 2019 [Re: Charity] #187994
12/08/18 07:11 AM
12/08/18 07:11 AM
ProdigalOne  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024
Supporting Member 2023

Dedicated Member
Alberta, Canada
Originally Posted By: Charity
I must admit that I am on the fence regarding David Gates.
Many of you are far better informed on these issues than I am.
What are your thoughts regarding these questions:

Does he really contradict Sister White?
Does he actually specify a time, or is his message speaking
of a season rather than a specific day?
Why is the church leadership so determined to discredit him?
Where was this vocal outrage when representatives from our church were clasping hands with the Pope in 2016?
Where was this outrage when a practicing lesbian was baptized in California?
Where is the outrage at the wholesale satanic slaughter of the unborn in our "medical" institutions?

Daryl, Mark, and anyone else with an opinion, I would be grateful for your
thoughts on the questions raised in this video from Proclaim Him TV? https://youtu.be/52gY7Bsa4nE

Prodigal, you've likely seen my endorsement of Gate's overall message. But to answer your questions about why there was no urgency or alarm over the Church's sins of commission or omission but there is a strong reaction globally over a simple 1 hour and 20 minute message by a single unpaid minister, to me that's a good sign that God is speaking to us through him. It fits the Biblical pattern: God's messengers get the attention of God's people. True, false prophets sometimes get widespread attention as well. But Gate's message is the opposite of their peace and safety refrain.

I'm grateful to God for this gracious call to us. I'm cheered and invigorated by the message. Some here think this is fear mongering but the John the Beloved who wrote the most fearful prophecies in the Bible was the calmest and most hopeful. He closes the Revelation with the words, "Amen, even so, Maranatha, or come Lord Jesus". Those who are abiding in Christ will be full of loving anticipation at the thought that soon we'll be with Him, our Brother, Friend, and great God and King for ever.

I am still examining Gate’s message. His follow up videos are quite helpful. He is such an incredibly humble soul. He mentions in passing old friends that disagree with him, but whom he still respects and cares for. Only in other videos by some of his supporters, do we find out how he has been abandoned and betrayed by these “old friends”. Still, Gates condemns no one. Is this not a manifestation of the Spirit of God? “By their fruits you shall know them.” Whatever conclusions I draw from his message, I have no doubt that this man is seeking to follow God!

Re: David Gates' prediction re Spring 2019 [Re: ProdigalOne] #187999
12/08/18 04:37 PM
12/08/18 04:37 PM
J
JAK  Offline
FORMER-SDA
Active Member 2018
Banned
Canada
It is true that we come to Jesus just as we are. It is also true that baptism is a sign of repentance. The sinner dies to her sin and is reborn as a child who seeks the Light. Yes, we should definitely rejoice when a practicing sinner comes to Jesus. But, baptism is an outward sign of an inward change. No one should be baptized who has not repented of sin. Baptizing an unrepentant sinner is claiming that there is no such thing as sin, and no need to die to it!

When the woman caught in adultery was brought to Jesus, he said: “Go and sin no more”...
You seem to presume to know her motives and condition of her heart. How do YOU know she WAS NOT repentant? The "inward change" is not an immediate and complete change in behavior etc. but a change in the focus of ones life. When you were baptized did you suddenly stop sinning? Be careful because I know the answer to that one:
Please, forgive me if I am not always as patient as I should be. God is still working on me too.
Why do you beg for forgiveness but deny it to the lesbian? Is God not still working with the lesbian, too?
Originally Posted By: God
Luke 6:41-42 King James Version (KJV)

41 And why beholdest thou the mote that is in thy brother's eye, but perceivest not the beam that is in thine own eye?

I don't know, ProdigalOne. How's that working out for YOU? dunno

Last edited by JAK; 12/08/18 04:40 PM.

"All that is Gold does not Glitter, Not all who Wander are Lost." (J.R.R.T.)
Re: David Gates' prediction re Spring 2019 [Re: ProdigalOne] #188007
12/09/18 07:35 AM
12/09/18 07:35 AM
dedication  Online Content
Global Moderator
Supporting Member 2022

5500+ Member
Canada
It's not the one's who are engaged in celebration style, or who have left the fundamental doctrines of the church and are preaching a "peace and safety" message who have expressed a warning against Gate's message.

It is men who ARE preaching the signs of a soon coming Savior, and who ARE urging us to prepare!

Why are they concerned? Because what Gates is doing to the prophecies is WEAKENING the foundations of Adventist prophetic understanding. Something that is very important to the three angel's message.

All those who take the foundational time prophecies and "reapply" them and change them to mean something different so they will fit a "new time line" are undermining the very foundation of the message, even if they do so in the name of preaching the three angel's message.

It's sort of like taking the foundational timbers out from under a house to build an upper room, thinking they are building something better, when in actuality they are destroying the building.

Yes, we need to put away sins -- our pride, selfishness, etc. etc. The church needs to be a place where true Christian edifying love is displayed, all that is VERY important, but it's not done by undermining the prophetic foundation of the message.

I truly wish David Gates had not gone against EGW's counsel and based his message on "time setting". It was this that destroyed his credibility before. Why do it again? It would be much better to simply stick with the MESSAGE which we are told is powerful enough without trying to link it to time. Linking it to time WEAKENS it in the long run.

Quote:
His followers are to be in the position of those who are listening for the orders of their Captain; they are to watch, wait, pray, and work, as they approach the time for the coming of the Lord; but no one will be able to predict just when that time will come; for "of that day and hour knoweth no man." You will not be able to say that He will come in one, two, or five years, neither are you to put off His coming by stating that it may not be for ten or twenty years. . . . We are not to know the definite time either for the outpouring of the Holy Spirit or for the coming of Christ.--Review and Herald, March 22, 1892.

I plainly stated at the Jackson camp meeting to these fanatical parties that they were doing the work of the adversary of souls; they were in darkness. They claimed to have great light that probation would close in October, 1884. I there stated in public that the Lord had been pleased to show me that there would be no definite time in the message given of God since 1844.--2SM 73 (1885).

The Lord showed me that the message must go, and that it must not be hung on time; for time will never be a test again. I saw that some were getting a false excitement, arising from preaching time, that the third angel's message can stand on its own foundation, and that it needs not time to strengthen it, and that it will go with mighty power, and do its work, and will be cut short in righteousness. {1SM 188.3}

This is the testimony I have ever borne since the passing of the time in 1844: "Time after time will be set by different ones, and will pass by; and the influence of this time setting will tend to destroy the faith of God's people {1T 72}

"I saw some were making everything bend to this next fall; that is, making their calculations, and disposing of their property in reference to that time. I saw that this was wrong for this reason, instead of going to God daily, and earnestly desiring to know their present duty, they looked ahead, and made their calculations as though they knew that the work would end this fall, without inquiring their duty of God daily.{RH, March 22, 1892 par. 9}

Re: David Gates' prediction re Spring 2019 [Re: Charity] #188012
12/09/18 04:26 PM
12/09/18 04:26 PM
APL  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2020

5500+ Member
Western, USA
Originally Posted By: prodigal1
Firstly, when considered on a 6000 year scale, 100 years is a drop in the bucket.
Secondly, didn’t Sister White say something to the effect that if the church had faithfully given the Midnight Cry, that Jesus would have already returned? That sounds “imminent” to me.
If Christ could have returned in the late 1800's, then setting the time of the Pope's visit as meaningful is obscuring the truth. Now is the time to know the Lord.
Originally Posted By: prodical1
Do you believe that Jesus will delay His coming for another 100 years? Is it possible that He will come within the next year? 2 years? 5 years? How long should we wait, before we give the warning that His coming is “near, even at the door”? Is it possible that, as with the Midnight Cry spoken of by Sister White, God is waiting for us to step out in faith?
Could you die tonight? Why worry about the future times, now is the time.
As for what others will think about Adventists if nothing happens this spring, the message of David Gates is not for others.
Really? Will "others" want to join a fanatical cult?
If we truly desire to attract non-Christians and those in other folds to the Adventist message, then we would be well advised to start living that message
Is the close of probation April 2019 part of the Adventist message? Nope.

Oh, that men might open their minds to know God as he is revealed in his Son! {ST, January 20, 1890}
Re: David Gates' prediction re Spring 2019 [Re: JAK] #188013
12/10/18 03:23 PM
12/10/18 03:23 PM
ProdigalOne  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024
Supporting Member 2023

Dedicated Member
Alberta, Canada

You seem to presume to know her motives and condition of her heart. How do YOU know she WAS NOT repentant? The "inward change" is not an immediate and complete change in behavior etc. but a change in the focus of ones life. When you were baptized did you suddenly stop sinning? Be careful because I know the answer to that one:
Please, forgive me if I am not always as patient as I should be. God is still working on me too.
Why do you beg for forgiveness but deny it to the lesbian? Is God not still working with the lesbian, too?
Originally Posted By: God
Luke 6:41-42 King James Version (KJV)

41 And why beholdest thou the mote that is in thy brother's eye, but perceivest not the beam that is in thine own eye?

I don't know, ProdigalOne. How's that working out for YOU? dunno

I am not judging the lesbian woman. I am saying that the leadership that chose to baptize her when she had not repented of blatant sin, did wrong by permitting a baptism that she was not ready for.

The beam in my own eye is something I battle with constantly. Sometimes I overcome, sometimes I lose, but by the grace of God, I always stand back up and continue the fight. Does that mean I must close my eyes, shun the gift of discernment, and refuse to call out sin, particularly in the direction of church policy? Paul said that he was the chief of sinners; yet, he did not hesitate to call out sin when he saw it! Hypocrisy is accusing others while claiming to have no faults.

I have many faults, too many. That does not make it right to baptize an unrepentant lesbian.

Re: David Gates' prediction re Spring 2019 [Re: dedication] #188015
12/10/18 03:40 PM
12/10/18 03:40 PM
ProdigalOne  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024
Supporting Member 2023

Dedicated Member
Alberta, Canada
Originally Posted By: dedication
It's not the one's who are engaged in celebration style, or who have left the fundamental doctrines of the church and are preaching a "peace and safety" message who have expressed a warning against Gate's message.

It is men who ARE preaching the signs of a soon coming Savior, and who ARE urging us to prepare!

Why are they concerned? Because what Gates is doing to the prophecies is WEAKENING the foundations of Adventist prophetic understanding. Something that is very important to the three angel's message.

All those who take the foundational time prophecies and "reapply" them and change them to mean something different so they will fit a "new time line" are undermining the very foundation of the message, even if they do so in the name of preaching the three angel's message.

It's sort of like taking the foundational timbers out from under a house to build an upper room, thinking they are building something better, when in actuality they are destroying the building.

Yes, we need to put away sins -- our pride, selfishness, etc. etc. The church needs to be a place where true Christian edifying love is displayed, all that is VERY important, but it's not done by undermining the prophetic foundation of the message.

I truly wish David Gates had not gone against EGW's counsel and based his message on "time setting". It was this that destroyed his credibility before. Why do it again? It would be much better to simply stick with the MESSAGE which we are told is powerful enough without trying to link it to time. Linking it to time WEAKENS it in the long run.

Quote:
His followers are to be in the position of those who are listening for the orders of their Captain; they are to watch, wait, pray, and work, as they approach the time for the coming of the Lord; but no one will be able to predict just when that time will come; for "of that day and hour knoweth no man." You will not be able to say that He will come in one, two, or five years, neither are you to put off His coming by stating that it may not be for ten or twenty years. . . . We are not to know the definite time either for the outpouring of the Holy Spirit or for the coming of Christ.--Review and Herald, March 22, 1892.

I plainly stated at the Jackson camp meeting to these fanatical parties that they were doing the work of the adversary of souls; they were in darkness. They claimed to have great light that probation would close in October, 1884. I there stated in public that the Lord had been pleased to show me that there would be no definite time in the message given of God since 1844.--2SM 73 (1885).

The Lord showed me that the message must go, and that it must not be hung on time; for time will never be a test again. I saw that some were getting a false excitement, arising from preaching time, that the third angel's message can stand on its own foundation, and that it needs not time to strengthen it, and that it will go with mighty power, and do its work, and will be cut short in righteousness. {1SM 188.3}

This is the testimony I have ever borne since the passing of the time in 1844: "Time after time will be set by different ones, and will pass by; and the influence of this time setting will tend to destroy the faith of God's people {1T 72}

"I saw some were making everything bend to this next fall; that is, making their calculations, and disposing of their property in reference to that time. I saw that this was wrong for this reason, instead of going to God daily, and earnestly desiring to know their present duty, they looked ahead, and made their calculations as though they knew that the work would end this fall, without inquiring their duty of God daily.{RH, March 22, 1892 par. 9}

You bring up some good points, dedication. Gates has stated that he is not trying to set a date for Christ’s return. I would like to hear his response to the close of probation quote from Ellen White.

Re: David Gates' prediction re Spring 2019 [Re: APL] #188016
12/10/18 03:49 PM
12/10/18 03:49 PM
ProdigalOne  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024
Supporting Member 2023

Dedicated Member
Alberta, Canada
Originally Posted By: APL
If Christ could have returned in the late 1800's, then setting the time of the Pope's visit as meaningful is obscuring the truth. Now is the time to know the Lord.
Originally Posted By: prodical1
Could you die tonight? Why worry about the future times, now is the time.
As for what others will think about Adventists if nothing happens this spring, the message of David Gates is not for others.
Really? Will "others" want to join a fanatical cult?
If we truly desire to attract non-Christians and those in other folds to the Adventist message, then we would be well advised to start living that message
Is the close of probation April 2019 part of the Adventist message? Nope.

I’m not sure I understand your point about the pope and obscuring the truth?

"Why worry about the future times"? Why is the church called Seventh Day Adventist?

Stepping out in faith is always a risk. Being called crazy or fanatical, should not deter us from following what we believe to be true.

Didn’t Ellen White say there was more knowledge to be revealed before the end?

Page 9 of 13 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

Moderator  dedication 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 04/30/24 10:34 PM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Daryl. 05/01/24 07:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!