HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,597
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 14
kland 9
Daryl 3
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Member Spotlight
Kevin H
Kevin H
New York
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
4 registered members (Karen Y, Daryl, dedication, 1 invisible), 3,182 guests, and 18 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
The Father, the Son and the Holy Ghost. Understanding the GodHead. #197473
02/23/24 03:04 PM
02/23/24 03:04 PM
Rick H  Offline OP
Group: Admin Team
3000+ Member
Florida, USA
Adventist believe there is one God: Father, Son, and Holy Spirit, a unity of three co-eternal Persons. God is immortal, all-powerful, all-knowing, above all, and ever present. He is infinite and beyond human comprehension and is forever worthy of worship, adoration, and service by all of creation. When a Christian takes his baptismal vow, Divine help is pledged to him. The Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit stand ready to work in his behalf.

So how can we understand the incomprehensible that is God, how can our minds grasp what is beyond human thinking. In our human existence, the concept that God is One God, yet exists as three distinct persons, is foreign to us. However, the doctrine of the Godhead is without questions laid out in God's word.

The biblical term "Godhead" is used three times in Scripture: Acts 17:29; Romans 1:20; Colossians 2:9.

Acts 17:29
29 Forasmuch then as we are the offspring of God, we ought not to think that the Godhead is like unto gold, or silver, or stone, graven by art and man's device.

Romans 1:20
20 For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even his eternal power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse:

Colossians 2:9
9 For in him dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily.

The scripture gives us that the Godhead, the Father, Son and Holy Spirit, consists of three distinct Persons, yet these three are One. There are many arguments put forward against the GodHead, but the first and foremost is how can God be One God and at the same time be three Persons?

But this question is based in ignorance and lack of understanding of what God has said about Himself. The Bible plainly lays out the plurality of God and that God is One God. We see the Father and Son at Creation:

Genesis 1:26
And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

And the Spirit:
Genesis 1:1-2
1 In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth.
2 And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters.

We see from the words of Christ that He confirms the GodHead as He gave His disciples the Great Commission, stating that they were to teach and baptize in the names of the Godhead:

Matthew 28:19-20
19 Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:
20 Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you always, even unto the end of the world. Amen.

And we see from Colossians that in Christ is the fullness of the GodHead bodily:

Colossians 2:6-9
6 As ye have therefore received Christ Jesus the Lord, so walk ye in him:
7 Rooted and built up in him, and stablished in the faith, as ye have been taught, abounding therein with thanksgiving.
8 Beware lest any man spoil you through philosophy and vain deceit, after the tradition of men, after the rudiments of the world, and not after Christ.
9 For in him dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily.

And the Holy Spirit is declare as part of the GodHead by scripture showing a clear understanding and by Christ Himself in :

John 14:16
And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you for ever;

John 14:26
But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you.

Mark 1:10
And straightway coming up out of the water, he saw the heavens opened, and the Spirit like a dove descending upon him:

So the Father, the Son and the Holy Ghost are clearly declared in scripture, the GodHead is taught throughout the Bible, it may not be fully comprehended but it cannot be denied.

Re: The Father, the Son and the Holy Ghost. Understanding the GodHead. [Re: Rick H] #197474
02/23/24 03:07 PM
02/23/24 03:07 PM
Rick H  Offline OP
3000+ Member
Florida, USA
We also see the scripture clearly shows us the Father and Christ Himself declares Him:

Matthew 5:45
That ye may be the children of your Father which is in heaven: for he maketh his sun to rise on the evil and on the good, and sendeth rain on the just and on the unjust.

Matthew 5:48
Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect.

Matthew 6:1
Take heed that ye do not your alms before men, to be seen of them: otherwise ye have no reward of your Father which is in heaven.

Matthew 6:9
After this manner therefore pray ye: Our Father which art in heaven, Hallowed be thy name.

Matthew 7:11
If ye then, being evil, know how to give good gifts unto your children, how much more shall your Father which is in heaven give good things to them that ask him?

Matthew 7:21
Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.

Matthew 10:32
Whosoever therefore shall confess me before men, him will I confess also before my Father which is in heaven.

And many more verses in which Christ declares the Father....

Notice Christ is on earth at this time and Christ states the Father is in heaven, distinct and separate and yet:

John 10:30
I and my Father are one.

Here is SOP on the Godhead:

'There are three living persons of the heavenly trio; in the name of these three great powers 'the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit' those who receive Christ by living faith are baptized, and these powers will co-operate with the obedient subjects of heaven in their efforts to live the new life in Christ. Evangelism, 615.

The Godhead was stirred with pity for the race, and the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit gave themselves to the working out of the plan of redemption. Counsels on Health, 222.

Those who proclaim the third angels message must put on the whole armor of God, that they may stand boldly at their post, in the face of detraction and falsehood, fighting the good fight of faith, resisting the enemy with the word, 'It is written.' Keep yourselves where the three great powers of heaven, the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit, can be your efficiency. These powers work with the one who gives himself unreservedly to God. The strength of heaven is at the command of Gods believing ones. The man who takes God as his trust is barricaded by an impregnable wall. The Southern Watchman, February 23, 1904, p. 122.

Our sanctification is the work of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit. It is the fulfilment of the covenant that God has made with those who bind themselves up with Him, to stand with Him, with His Son, and with His Spirit in holy fellowship. Have you been born again? Have you become a new being in Christ Jesus? Then co-operate with the three great powers of heaven who are working in your behalf. Doing this you will reveal to the world the principles of righteousness. The Signs of the Times, June 19, 1901.

The eternal heavenly dignitaries 'God, and Christ, and the Holy Spirit' arming them [the disciples] with more than mortal energy, ... would advance with them to the work and convince the world of sin. Evangelism, 616.

We are to co-operate with the three highest powers in heaven, 'the Father, the Son, and the Holy Ghost,' and these powers will work through us, making us workers together with God. Evangelism, 617.

Those who are baptized in the threefold name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit, at the very entrance of their Christian life declare publicly that they have forsaken the service of Satan and have become members of the royal family, children of the heavenly King.' Testimonies for the Church 6:91.

Re: The Father, the Son and the Holy Ghost. Understanding the GodHead. [Re: Rick H] #197475
02/23/24 03:08 PM
02/23/24 03:08 PM
Rick H  Offline OP
3000+ Member
Florida, USA
Here is a great presentation on the GodHead which I have tried to outline, looks like Southern...

Matthew 12:31-32
31 Wherefore I say unto you, All manner of sin and blasphemy shall be forgiven unto men: but the blasphemy against the Holy Ghost shall not be forgiven unto men.
32 And whosoever speaketh a word against the Son of man, it shall be forgiven him: but whosoever speaketh against the Holy Ghost, it shall not be forgiven him, neither in this world, neither in the world to come.

All manner of blasphemy is forgiven if against Jesus, but not the Holy Spirit. You can chose not to believe in Christ but you will have a problem if you do it against the Holy Ghost. Two beings.

Luke 4:18
The Spirit of the Lord is upon me, because he hath anointed me to preach the gospel to the poor; he hath sent me to heal the brokenhearted, to preach deliverance to the captives, and recovering of sight to the blind, to set at liberty them that are bruised,

The Spirit of the Lord is upon Me and He has anointed Me... Jesus could not anoint Himself, a priest could not anoint himself. Moses used oil which represents the Holy Spirit to anoint Aaron, here the Spirit anoints Christ. Two beings.

Acts 10:38
How God anointed Jesus of Nazareth with the Holy Ghost and with power: who went about doing good, and healing all that were oppressed of the devil; for God was with him.

Here is says God anointed Jesus with the Holy Ghost. So we have God the Father and is says anointed Jesus by the Holy Ghost.

Hebrews 5:1
For every high priest taken from among men is ordained for men in things pertaining to God, that he may offer both gifts and sacrifices for sins:

Every High Priest taken from a man is ordained for man, not by himself. No man taketh this manner of himself
but he that is chosen by God, Christ (who came as fully man/fully God) did not make Himself High Priest ordained for men, the Holy Spirit is the anointing power .

John 13:16
Verily, verily, I say unto you, The servant is not greater than his lord; neither he that is sent greater than he that sent him.

Here we see and declaration where Christ says a servant is not greater(authority) than the master (lord), but then says neither He that is sent(clearly a reference to Himself) greater (authority) than He(God the Father) that sent Him.

John 17:3
And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent.

And this is life eternal, to know the only true God(Father) and Jesus Christ(Son) who thou(Father) has sent. Life eternal is knowing God and Jesus Christ, they are equated in what can only be the same standing.

John 14:26
But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you.

The Comforter(Holy Ghost), who the Father(God) will send in My(Jesus) name, it is representing Christ sent by the Father. Now we begin to understand what Christ was saying when He declares one is not greater than the one who sent him.

John 15:26
But when the Comforter is come, whom I will send unto you from the Father, even the Spirit of truth, which proceedeth from the Father, he shall testify of me:

But the Spirit of Truth which Jesus sends (He is God)..

1 Corinthians 2:9
9 But as it is written, Eye hath not seen, nor ear heard, neither have entered into the heart of man, the things which God hath prepared for them that love him.
10 But God hath revealed them unto us by his Spirit: for the Spirit searcheth all things, yea, the deep things of God.
11 For what man knoweth the things of a man, save the spirit of man which is in him? even so the things of God knoweth no man, but the Spirit of God.

Eye has not seen or ear heard as God has revealed through the Spirit which searches all the deep things of God, (which we see was sent by God), and knows all the deep things of God has to be at the same level. (He who can only search and/or know the deep things of God, is only God)

Matthew 11:27
All things are delivered unto me of my Father: and no man knoweth the Son, but the Father; neither knoweth any man the Father, save the Son, and he to whomsoever the Son will reveal him.

All things have been delivered to Jesus (He is saying I know the Father and the Father knows me, so He knows everything. They have different responsibility in the GodHead. The Holy Ghost does not have the same responsibility as the God the Father or the Son.)

Luke 3:22
And the Holy Ghost descended in a bodily shape like a dove upon him, and a voice came from heaven, which said, Thou art my beloved Son; in thee I am well pleased.

Jesus is coming out of being baptized by john in the water, and we see the Holy Ghost as a dove and a voice from heaven, (God the Father) claims Him as 'beloved Son'. Three separate personalities but One substance.

John 14:16
And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you for ever;

I (Jesus) will pray to the Father and He will send another Comforter (The Holy Ghost). Three separate personalities and different responsibilities in the GodHead, but yet one.

Here is the actual presentation...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8cl1_OXHss

Last edited by Rick H; 02/23/24 03:10 PM.
Re: The Father, the Son and the Holy Ghost. Understanding the GodHead. [Re: Rick H] #197485
02/27/24 10:38 AM
02/27/24 10:38 AM
Rick H  Offline OP
3000+ Member
Florida, USA
This is enlightening but at the same time sobering of what it says not to go into to...

"THE MYSTERY OF THE GODHEAD
Some of Ellen G. White?s strongest warnings were given in regard to the danger of presumptuously attempting to fathom the mysteries of the Deity. She wrote:

Publish the truth, do not publish error. Do not try to explain in regard to the personality of God. You cannot give any further explanation than the Bible has given. Human theories regarding Him are good for nothing. Do not soil your minds by studying misleading theories of the enemy.1

On the other hand, she indicated that there are certain truths on the nature of God revealed in the Bible which are available to those who prayerfully seek to understand them:

The revelation of Himself that God has given in His Word is for our study. This we may seek to understand. But beyond this we are not to penetrate. The highest intellect may tax itself until it is wearied out on conjectures regarding the nature of God, but the effort will be fruitless. This problem has not been given us to solve. No human mind can comprehend God. None are to indulge in speculation regarding His nature. Here silence is eloquence. The Omniscient One is above discussion.2

It must, therefore, be in a spirit of humble caution that we attempt to present a little of what has been revealed on this mysterious subject.
ONE GOD
Ellen G. White was manifestly a monotheist. There is no suggestion anywhere in her writings that there are three Gods. The complete oneness between the Father, Son and Holy Spirit are emphasized in many statements. This unity is likened to that between Christ and his disciples, and John chapter 17 is quoted as evidence of the validity of the analogy.3 But the analogy is a partial and imperfect one. The disciples were not divine; Christ was. The relationship between them and Christ is therefore only in certain respects similar to that between the Father and the Son. If the relationship between Christ and His disciples were in all respects similar to that between the Father and the Son there would be no mystery involved in Christ?s relationship to the Father. But here is something which is said to be "infinitely mysterious:"4

There are light and glory in the truth that Christ was One with the Father before the foundation of the world was laid. This is the light shining in a dark place, making it resplendent with divine, original glory. This truth, infinitely mysterious in itself, explains other mysterious and otherwise unexplainable truths, while it is enshrined in light unapproachable and incomprehensible.5

Thus the oneness between the Father and the Son is declared to be a mysterious union not yet explained to mortals. The relationship between Christ and the Father presents no real problems to the tritheist. To him there are three Gods who are united in purpose and identical in character and attributes, but nonetheless just as distinct as was Christ from His disciples. What is there infinitely mysterious about this? Here is just another of man?s attempts to apprehend the "light unapproachable and incomprehensible." It is not difficult to understand why the Adventist Arians repudiated this position. But the answer to it, as will be demonstrated, is not to be found in the subordination of the Son to the Father or the conception of a time when the Father alone existed.

Ellen G. White speaks of the Father and the Son as being of "one substance."6

With what firmness and power he uttered these words. The Jews has never before heard such words from human lips, and a converting influence attended them; for it seemed that divinity flashed through humanity as Jesus said, "I and my Father are one." The words of Christ were full of deep meaning as he put forth the claim that he and the Father were of one substance, possessing the same attributes. The Jews understood his meaning, there was no reason why they should misunderstand, and they took up stones to stone him.7

The tritheist, who limits the oneness between Christ and the Father to that between Christ and His disciples, is now obliged to explain in what sense it might be true that Christ and His disciples are "of one substance, possessing the same attributes."8 Is there any evidence in the Bible or the writings of Ellen G. White to suggest that the believer is in possession now, or will be at some time in the future, of the "substance" of God? The present writer has discovered none.

On the other hand the Adventist Arian is faced with the difficulty that the supreme God includes Christ. The statement says that the Jews understood His meaning. And they understood Him on other occasions when He claimed complete union with the Father. For instance Jesus claimed to be the "I am."

With solemn dignity Jesus answered, "Verily, verily I say unto you, before Abraham was I AM."

Silence fell upon the vast assembly. The name of God, given to Moses to express the idea of the eternal presence, had been claimed as His own by this Galilean rabbi. He had announced Himself to be the self-existent One, He who had been promised to Israel, "whose goings forth have been from of old, from the days of eternity."9

Then Christ as the "I am" was the "self-existent One." But is not the Father the self-existent One? Of course. Then is not the Arian right in responding that such a doctrine postulates the existence of two Gods?10 Ellen G. White answers this question by stating quite unequivocally that the "I AM" is One. Commenting on Ezekiel 1:4, 26; 10:8 she says:

Heavenly beings, sustained and guided by the hand beneath the wings of the cherubim, were impelling the wheels; above them, upon the sapphire throne was the Eternal One; and round about the throne a rainbow, the emblem of divine mercy.

The history which the great I AM has marked out in His word, uniting link after link in the prophetic chain, from eternity in the past to eternity in the future, tells us where we are to-day in the procession of the ages, and what may be expected in time to come.11

The theme of the whole passage is divine intervention and control in the affairs of men. The "Eternal One" is clearly the "I AM." But because of Christ?s claim the I AM includes both Christ and the Father. The One Upon the throne is the One God. Ezekiel and Ellen White were monotheists. But here is one God including both Christ and the Father. Here is a mysterious oneness which cannot be explained in Arian or tritheistic terms.

The God who revealed Himself to Moses was the "Eternal One." This One was "the Deity."

To the transgressor it is a fearful thing to fall into the hands of the living God; but Moses stood alone in the presence of the Eternal One, and He was not afraid; for his soul was in harmony with the will of his Maker. . . .

The Deity proclaimed Himself, "the Lord, the Lord god, merciful and gracious?."12

Elsewhere it is clearly stated that Christ was with the Father at Sinai:

When they came to Sinai, He took occasion to refresh their minds in regard to His requirements. Christ and the Father, standing side by side upon the mount, with solemn majesty proclaimed the Ten Commandments?.13

Therefore the "Eternal One" who revealed Himself at Sinai included both the Father and Christ. Moses communed with one God, the Deity. Both Christ and the Father are included in that term "the Eternal One:"

It was Christ who had spoken to Israel through Moses. If they had listened to the divine voice that spoke through their great leader, they would have recognized it in the teachings of Christ. Had they believed Moses, they would have believed Him of whom Moses wrote.

Jesus knew that the priests and rabbis were determined to take his life; yet He clearly explained to them His unity with the Father, and His relation to the world.14

The Jews would have understood something of the unity between Christ and the Father if they had understood that it was Christ who spoke to Israel at Sinai.

As quoted above, Ellen G. White emphasized that "the Deity proclaimed Himself" to Moses.15 Of course the Deity is the Godhead, and Mrs. White explained elsewhere what she understood by the Godhead.

The Father is all the fullness of the Godhead bodily and is invisible to mortal sight.

The Son is all the fullness of the Godhead manifested. The Word of God declares Him to be "the express image of His Person." "God so loved the world, that He gave His only-begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in Him should not perish, but have everlasting life." Here is shown the personality of the Father.

The Comforter that Christ promised to send after He ascended to Heaven, is the Spirit in all the fullness of the Godhead, making manifest the power of divine grace to all who receive and believe in Christ as a personal Saviour. There are three, living persons of the heavenly trio; in the name of these three great powers?the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit?those who receive Christ by living faith are baptized, and these three powers will co-operate with the obedient subjects of Heaven in their effort to love the new life in Christ.16

It might be asked of the Arian how Christ could be inferior to the Father and yet be "all the fullness of the Godhead manifested." Clearly, in this passage, the Holy Spirit is God, for the Godhead consists of Father, Son and Holy Spirit. This passage also provides a dilemma for the Adventist tritheist for if the Father, Christ, and the Holy Spirit are each "the fullness of the godhead," then they are in some mysterious sense in one another. There is a union here that is beyond human comprehension and that transcends all man-made analogies, a union which renders it perfectly accurate to say that our God is one God.

The God of creation is one God according to Ellen G. White. "nature testifies that one infinite in power, great in goodness, mercy and love, created the earth, and filled it with life and gladness."17 There are many Scriptural passages and many statements in the writings of Ellen G. White that render it abundantly apparent that the Creator includes the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit. Ellen White wrote, "all things were created by the Son of God."18 Further she stated:

"When He, the Spirit of Truth, is come, He will guide you into all truth." John 16:13. Only by the aid of that Spirit who in the beginning "was brooding upon the face of the waters;" of that Word by whom "all things were made;" of that "true light, which lighteneth every man that cometh into the world," can the testimony of science be rightly interpereted.19

Here the Holy Spirit promised by Christ is identified with the Spirit of Genesis 1:3. Christ and the Holy Spirit are therefore included with the Father in the "one infinite in power" who "created the earth."

The Jehovah of the Old Testament is one God according to Ellen G. White. "Jehovah, the eternal, self-existent, uncreated one, Himself the source and sustainer of all, is alone entitled to supreme reverence and worship."20 Elsewhere she wrote, "Jehovah is the name given to Christ. ?behold, God is my salvation,? writes the prophet isaiah; ?I will trust, and not be afraid; for the Lord Jehovah is my strength and my song. . . . ?"21 Therefore, Jehovah, the one God of the Old Testament, included Christ.

The mysterious union between the Father and the Son is such that Ellen G. White referred to Jesus as our Father in a manner reminiscent of the words of Isaiah 9:6. "However much a shepherd may love his sheep, he loves his sons and daughters more. Jesus is not only our shepherd; he is our ?everlasting Father.? John 10:14, 15 r.v."22

The conclusion to be drawn from the foregoing evidence is that Ellen G. White was a decided monotheist. God is one God; the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit.
THREE DISTINCT PERSONALITIES IN THE DEITY
Ellen G. White taught the unity of the Deity but she wrote many statements indicating that God consists of three distinct personalities. As indicated above, to her God comprised Father, Son and Holy Spirit who were each "the fullness of the Godhead."23 The union between them is such that it is true to say that our God is one God. But this does not destroy the distinct personalities of the members of the Deity.

As we consider the question in the light of Ellen G. White?s statements on the unity of the Deity it appears that the term "personality" must be given a special connotation when it is used in reference to a member of the Godhead. There is no mysterious union between human personalities so that it could be said that any three are also one. From the point of view of human terminology one is one, three are three, and three can logically never be one. But in regard to the Deity three personalities comprise one God. Then evidently the distinction between human personalities is by no means analogous to that between the personalities of the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit; otherwise the three would comprise three Gods, not one.

Just as the complete unity of the Godhead is a mystery so is the distinction between the personalities comprising it. To rush in where angels veil their faces and with a dogmatic gesture declare that the existence of three equal, distinct personalities in the Deity postulates the existence of three Gods is to give the word "personality" its purely human connotation. But God is infinitely superior to things human. In reference to Him the word must be given a new connotation. What that should be is not revealed. Ellen G. White?s use of it in the passages to be quoted here is perfectly understandable since she was obliged to use what language was available to her in explaining the mysteries of the nature of God.

There follows a brief series of quotations which emphasize that God is a personal Being and that the numbers of the Godhead are distinct personalities:

The mighty power that works through all nature and sustains all things is not, as some men of science represent, merely an all-pervading principle, an actuating energy. God is a Spirit; yet He is a personal Being; for so He has revealed Himself.24

Christ is one with the Father, but Christ and God are two distinct personages.25

The Lord Jesus Christ, the divine Son of God, existed from eternity, a distinct person, yet one with the Father.26

There is a personal God the Father; there is a personal Christ, the Son.27

The Scriptures clearly indicate the relation between God and Christ, arid they bring to view as clearly the personality and individuality of each.28

The unity that exists between Christ and His disciples does not destroy the personality of either. They are one in purpose, in mind, in character, but not in person. It is thus that God and Christ are one.29

Care must be taken in interpreting this last passage and in interpreting John chapter 17 on which it is based. In the light of the evidence of the preceding section we are bound to conclude that there are similarities in the relationship between Christ and the Father and in that between Christ and His disciples. But there are also vast differences. The unfallen angels were entirely united to the Father and the Son, but they were not divine, nor were they able to enter into all the secrets of their Ruler.

Even the angels were not permitted to share the counsels between the Father and the Son when the plan of salvation was laid. Those human beings who seek to intrude into the secrets of the Most High show their ignorance of spiritual and eternal things.30

If the distinction between Christ and His disciples and the union between them were entirely analogous to the distinction and union between Christ and the Father then there would be no such divine secrets kept from the human believer. Partaking of the divine nature by human beings would then be elevation to the level of the Deity. It was Satan?s effort to achieve this that precipitated the Great Controversy, and he continues to perpetuate his own demonic covetousness by degrading man?s conception of Christ in relation to the Father and elevating man?s conception of himself in relation to Christ.

More will be said concerning the Holy Spirit in the final chapter where Ellen G. White?s overall teaching on the subject will be presented, but suffice it to say here that she conceived of the Holy Spirit as a person. "The Holy Spirit is a person, for He beareth witness with our spirits that we are the children of God."31

The evidence of this chapter may be summarized by saying that Ellen G. White was clearly a monotheist who understood the one God as comprising three distinct personalities. But the student of the Deity is bound to admit that both the oneness of God and the distinction of the personalities are mysteries which human terminology cannot define." .....

http://www.sdanet.org/atissue/trinity/gane-thesis/e-gane13.htm

Re: The Father, the Son and the Holy Ghost. Understanding the GodHead. [Re: Rick H] #197487
02/28/24 05:56 PM
02/28/24 05:56 PM
K
kland  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

5500+ Member
Midland
When you read all of John 14 together as one unit, and maybe 15 and 16, what does that to you say the Holy Ghost is?

Re: The Father, the Son and the Holy Ghost. Understanding the GodHead. [Re: kland] #197534
03/23/24 08:36 PM
03/23/24 08:36 PM
Rick H  Offline OP
3000+ Member
Florida, USA
Originally Posted by kland
When you read all of John 14 together as one unit, and maybe 15 and 16, what does that to you say the Holy Ghost is?

Another being of the Godhead that is sent with the truth from Christ to comfort them..

Re: The Father, the Son and the Holy Ghost. Understanding the GodHead. [Re: Rick H] #197574
04/11/24 12:38 PM
04/11/24 12:38 PM
K
kland  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

5500+ Member
Midland
Is that based upon reading for understanding or is that based upon preconceived ideas?

Re: The Father, the Son and the Holy Ghost. Understanding the GodHead. [Re: Rick H] #197580
04/14/24 03:39 AM
04/14/24 03:39 AM
dedication  Online Content
Global Moderator
Supporting Member 2022

5500+ Member
Canada
Jesus is revealing the awesome oneness of God yet three persons.

To see Jesus is to see the Father, yet they are two, but still they are one.
14:7 If ye had known me, ye should have known my Father also: and from henceforth ye know him, and have seen him.
14:8 Philip said unto him, Lord, show us the Father, and it suffices us.
14:9 Jesus said unto him, Have I been so long time with you, and yet hast thou not known me, Philip? he that has seen me has seen the Father; and how say you, Show us the Father?
15:24 but now have they both seen and hated both me and my Father.

The Comforter comes in Christ's name, and speaks for Christ.
Christ was "in the Father" God the Father was "in Christ"l two living distinct persons, who are "one".
So the Spirit is "in Christ" and "Christ is in the Spirit". three distinct living person, who are "one".

14:26 The comforter which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name,
15:26 But when the Comforter is come, whom I will send unto you from the Father, even the Spirit of truth, which proceeds from the Father, he shall testify of me:
16:13 he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, [that] shall he speak: and he will show you things to come.
16:14 He shall glorify me

When one member of the eternal Godhead is present, the fullness of the Godhead are present.
14:16 And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you for ever;
14:23 Jesus answered and said unto him, If a man love me, he will keep my words: and my Father will love him, and we will come unto him, and make our abode with him.

Quantum physics is trying to figure out how two or more objects can be distinct, yet their relational "entanglement" means they operate as one. Scientists are searching and finding some rather amazing, but imperfect information.

But the true and perfect "entanglement", that is beyond scientific knowledge, originates in the Godhead -- three living persons, but One God.

The Father is all the fullness of the Godhead bodily, and is invisible to mortal sight. The Son is all the fullness of the Godhead manifested. The word of God declares Him to be "the express image of His person." "God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in Him should not perish, but have everlasting life." Here is shown the personality of the Father. {BTS, March 1, 1906 par. 1}
The Comforter that Christ promised to send after He ascended to heaven, is the Spirit in all the fullness of the Godhead, making manifest the power of divine grace to all who receive and believe in Christ as a personal Saviour. There are three living persons of the heavenly trio. In the name of these three powers,--the Father, the Son, and the Holy Ghost, those who receive Christ by living faith are baptized, and these powers will cooperate with the obedient subjects of heaven in their efforts to live the new life in Christ. {BTS, March 1, 1906 par. 2}

Re: The Father, the Son and the Holy Ghost. Understanding the GodHead. [Re: Rick H] #197581
04/14/24 05:46 PM
04/14/24 05:46 PM
K
kland  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

5500+ Member
Midland
14:16 Then I will ask the Father, and he will give you another Advocate to be with you forever
17 the Spirit of truth, whom the world cannot accept, because it does not see him or know him. But you know him, because he resides with you and will be in you.

18 “I will not abandon you as orphans, I will come to you.

19 In a little while the world will not see me any longer, but you will see me; because I live, you will live too.
20 You will know at that time that I am in my Father and you are in me and I am in you.

23 Jesus replied, “If anyone loves me, he will obey my word, and my Father will love him, and we will come to him and take up residence with him.

16:13 But when he, the Spirit of truth, comes, he will guide you into all truth. For he will not speak on his own authority, but will speak whatever he hears, and will tell you what is to come.
14 He will glorify me, because he will receive from me what is mine and will tell it to you.
15 Everything that the Father has is mine; that is why I said the Spirit will receive from me what is mine and will tell it to you.
16 In a little while you will see me no longer; again after a little while, you will see me.” ?

Re: The Father, the Son and the Holy Ghost. Understanding the GodHead. [Re: Rick H] #197591
04/21/24 12:08 AM
04/21/24 12:08 AM
dedication  Online Content
Global Moderator
Supporting Member 2022

5500+ Member
Canada
15 (Jesus said) Everything that the Father has is mine; that is why I said the Spirit will receive from me what is mine and will tell it to you.
16 In a little while you will see me no longer; again after a little while, you will see me.

Just as the disciples saw the Father, (through Jesus) as they walked with Jesus. (see John 14:7-9)
So we see Jesus, through the Holy Spirit as He leads and impresses our minds with truths that Jesus taught.

And yes, after a little while we will see Jesus face to face, coming in the clouds of glory, to take us to the Father's house. And it will be the Holy Spirit that lifts us up to meet Christ, just as He has been lifting our minds upward to see Jesus now.

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 04/25/24 09:37 AM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 04/21/24 06:41 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 04/24/24 02:15 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by dedication. 04/01/24 07:48 PM
Time Is Short!
by ProdigalOne. 03/29/24 10:50 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!