HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,597
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 14
kland 9
Daryl 3
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Member Spotlight
ProdigalOne
ProdigalOne
Alberta, Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
4 registered members (Karen Y, Daryl, dedication, 1 invisible), 3,252 guests, and 14 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 10 of 24 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 23 24
Re: Lesson #10 - The Meaning of His DEATH [Re: Tom] #99982
06/15/08 08:03 PM
06/15/08 08:03 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
 Quote:
R: I disagree with both points. Many times what happens is a gradual process, in which an idea is presented, another person builds upon it and modifies it, and thus successively, until a view is systematized. So yes, I believe there are elements of the penal substitution theory in the patristic literature, which are further developed in Anselm, and that Calvin built upon these previous ideas.
T: Those who lived centuries before Calvin did not have his world view. They weren't lawyers. They didn't understand the system of justice under which Calvin operated. The would not have, and could not have, thought in the terms Calvin was thinking in.

Justice and penal system have always existed. And, as I said, new elements are added as one builds upon the ideas of a predecessor.

As Garry Williams says, “Justin [Martyr]'s answer to Trypho is an unequivocal affirmation of penal substitution. He asks why, if Christ bore not his own but our curse, Trypho resists: 'If, then, the Father of all wished his Christ for the whole human family to take upon him the curses of all, knowing that, after he had been crucified and was dead, he would raise him up, why do you argue about him, who submitted to suffer these things according to the Father's will, as if he were accursed, and do not rather bewail yourselves?'”

This, to me, clearly expresses the idea of “transfer of penalty.”

Quote:
Regarding http://www.beginningwithmoses.org/bigger/punishedinourplace.htm, (Garry Williams article), an important point was not addressed. The Eastern Orthodox church does not accept Anslem's idea of satisfaction. Why not? Because they split off from the Catholic church before Anselm penned it. Their principle reason for rejecting the view is precisely because it doesn't appear in either the Scriptures or the writings of the fathers.

No, they failed to see this idea, or to emphasize this idea, perhaps exactly to maintain their distinction from the West. But this doesn’t mean the idea doesn’t exist either in the Bible or in the patristic literature.

I provided previously an Orthodox link, http://fatherstephen.wordpress.com/2008/01/22/st-gregory-the-theologian-on-our-ransom-by-god/
where Father Stephen posts a passage of Gregory of Nazianzus, where the latter tries to refute the idea of a ransom, either to Satan or to God. Then someone asks,
 Quote:
How does this square with patristic language such as:

“Thou hast taken upon Thyself the common debt of all in order to pay it back to Thy Father - pay back also, O guiltless Lord, those sins with which our freedom has indebted us. Thou hast redeemed us from the curse of the law by Thy precious blood. Deliver also those redeemed by Thy blood from harsh justice!” (St. Ephrem the Syrian, *A Spiritual Psalter* #102)

There is also a great deal of language like this in the early Western Fathers: Cyprian, Ambrose, etc.

To which Father Stephen replies:
 Quote:
The are a host of metaphors to be found in the fathers - including some that St. Gregory would not have particularly cared for. The payment to the Father for a debt owed to Him is not a dominant image in Eastern liturgical usage, that is the lex orandi. Certainly not on the scale that you would find later in the West.
Other metaphors are far more dominant.
The difference, it seems to me, is that some modern Western Christians have made a minor metaphor into a dogma, even writing it into statements of faith that people must subscribe to in order to teach in their schools, etc. It has been raised to the level of dogma, a status never given to a particular atonement metaphor by the Orthodox Church.

So the truth is not that the idea was not present in the patristic literature, but that it was not raised to the level of a dogma in the Eastern Church as it was in the West.

I would like to re-emphasize that I do not agree with everything the church fathers, or Anselm, or Calvin say, but there are elements of truth in this theory.

Reply Quote
Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Re: Lesson #10 - The Meaning of His DEATH [Re: Tom] #99983
06/15/08 08:24 PM
06/15/08 08:24 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
 Quote:
R: The key element is the price paid to free the slave. If someone had been sold as a slave because of a debt, the amount paid to free him had to be exactly equivalent to that debt.
T: The point is simply that Christ did what was necessary, which was to give His life, in order that we who were slaves to sin might be set free. Again, there would have been no concept in the mind of 1st century Jews that Christ was paying a price in order to provide a legal mechanism for God by which we could be pardoned.

I disagree. A close relative could pay the price in order to provide a legal mechanism by which he who had sold himself as a slave could have his debt cancelled and his property restored to him. This was in the laws given to Israel.

Quote:
Ok, you're last sentence agrees with my point of view. The problem in this case is simply to remove sin from us.

No, it’s also to remove your sins from the book of remembrance of God. So both imputed and imparted justice are involved here, and imputed justice has a legal element.

Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #10 - The Meaning of His DEATH [Re: Rosangela] #99985
06/15/08 08:51 PM
06/15/08 08:51 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
R: The key element is the price paid to free the slave. If someone had been sold as a slave because of a debt, the amount paid to free him had to be exactly equivalent to that debt.
T: The point is simply that Christ did what was necessary, which was to give His life, in order that we who were slaves to sin might be set free. Again, there would have been no concept in the mind of 1st century Jews that Christ was paying a price in order to provide a legal mechanism for God by which we could be pardoned.

I disagree. A close relative could pay the price in order to provide a legal mechanism by which he who had sold himself as a slave could have his debt cancelled and his property restored to him. This was in the laws given to Israel.

Of course. My point wasn't in regards to a relative's paying the debt for a slave. Of course 1st century Jews had this concept. They didn't have the concept I mentioned, which is that it would be necessary for a price to be paid in order for God to legally forgive one's sins. Actually not only Jews, but no culture had this idea. However, the concept would later spring from a Hellenized concept of justice. So no 1st Century Jew would have had this concept because, in the first place, it's not Jewish, and, in the second, even if Hellenized culture, it hadn't yet been formulated.

Quote:
Quote:
Ok, you're last sentence agrees with my point of view. The problem in this case is simply to remove sin from us.

No, it’s also to remove your sins from the book of remembrance of God.

The books of heaven simply reflect reality. There is no way to have the sins removed from the book of remembrance of God without their being removed from the sinner. In addition, if the sin is removed from the sinner, the books of heaven will reflect that fact.

Quote:
Every sin acknowledged before God with a contrite heart, He will remove.(TM 92)

The sin is removed from the sinner, and, because of this, also from the book of God's remembrance.

Quote:
So both imputed and imparted justice are involved here, and imputed justice has a legal element.

The legal element is one of recognition. The law recognizes the righteousness of the one pardoned because the sin really has been removed from the sinner.

Let's go back a moment to the question of why the wicked did in the end. It the sin is removed, then they will be OK because, to use my phrasing, the revelation of God's character will cause them no harm, since they are not clinging to sin (to use your phrasing, God's abhorrence of sin will cause them no harm). So the problem is simply one of their not clinging to sin. If a person does not cling to sin, that person will be fine.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #10 - The Meaning of His DEATH [Re: Tom] #99987
06/15/08 09:04 PM
06/15/08 09:04 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
Justice (retributive) and penal system have always existed. And, as I said, new elements are added as one builds upon the ideas of a predecessor.

Not in terms of theology. If they did, then the Eastern Orthodox church would have these concepts. (I added the word "retributive," since, of course, justice always existed.)

Quote:
As Garry Williams says, “Justin [Martyr]'s answer to Trypho is an unequivocal affirmation of penal substitution. He asks why, if Christ bore not his own but our curse, Trypho resists: 'If, then, the Father of all wished his Christ for the whole human family to take upon him the curses of all, knowing that, after he had been crucified and was dead, he would raise him up, why do you argue about him, who submitted to suffer these things according to the Father's will, as if he were accursed, and do not rather bewail yourselves?'”

I don't understand this point at all. Is this talking about Gen. 3:13? Where's the idea expressed that Christ was accursed so that God could legally forgive us?

Regarding the rest, I've been specific in regards to the point I've been speaking to, which is not about debt. It's about God's not being able to legally pardon sin without Christ's death. I have been asserting that this idea was not expressed before Calvin. The quotes I've seen you provide have to do with debt. I am aware that the concept of debt existed in patristic literature.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #10 - The Meaning of His DEATH [Re: Tom] #99995
06/15/08 09:29 PM
06/15/08 09:29 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
The fact God revealed to Sister White that He is obligated to Himself, to His law, and to His justice to enforce the execution of the death penalty upon sinners speaks volumes in favor of it. It shouldn't matter, then, what others may have or may not have written about it in the past. The Dark Ages prevailed more or less until God raised up the Remnant Church after the Great Disappointment.

“By His word God has bound Himself to execute the penalty of the law on all transgressors.” (6BC 1095)

“In the plan of redemption there must be the shedding of blood, for death must come in consequence of man’s sin.” (CON 22)

“Justice demands that sin be not merely pardoned, but the death penalty must be executed. God, in the gift of His only-begotten Son, met both these requirements. By dying in man’s stead, Christ exhausted the penalty and provided a pardon.” (1SM 340)

Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #10 - The Meaning of His DEATH [Re: Tom] #100005
06/15/08 10:37 PM
06/15/08 10:37 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
 Quote:
Of course. My point wasn't in regards to a relative's paying the debt for a slave. Of course 1st century Jews had this concept. They didn't have the concept I mentioned, which is that it would be necessary for a price to be paid in order for God to legally forgive one's sins.

Tom, the details are unimportant. The concept is important. The amount equivalent to the debt of the slave had to paid – there was a transference of debt. Thus, the slave’s debt could be legally cancelled.

Quote:
R: Justice (retributive) and penal system have always existed. And, as I said, new elements are added as one builds upon the ideas of a predecessor.
T: Not in terms of theology. If they did, then the Eastern Orthodox church would have these concepts. (I added the word "retributive," since, of course, justice always existed.)

Not in terms of theology? What is your basis for saying that? I’ve commented about the Orthodox Church in the last part of my previous post and of this post.

Quote:
R: As Garry Williams says, “Justin [Martyr]'s answer to Trypho is an unequivocal affirmation of penal substitution. He asks why, if Christ bore not his own but our curse, Trypho resists: 'If, then, the Father of all wished his Christ for the whole human family to take upon him the curses of all, knowing that, after he had been crucified and was dead, he would raise him up, why do you argue about him, who submitted to suffer these things according to the Father's will, as if he were accursed, and do not rather bewail yourselves?'”
T: I don't understand this point at all. Is this talking about Gen. 3:13? Where's the idea expressed that Christ was accursed so that God could legally forgive us?

I think you mean Gal. 3:13.
You keep speaking repeatedly of “legally forgive” as if this was the only element of the penal substitution theory. I was trying to address the quote you posted which said:

Quote:
Calvin’s doctrine requires the additional idea of the “transfer of penalty”

Quote:
Regarding the rest, I've been specific in regards to the point I've been speaking to, which is not about debt. It's about God's not being able to legally pardon sin without Christ's death. I have been asserting that this idea was not expressed before Calvin. The quotes I've seen you provide have to do with debt. I am aware that the concept of debt existed in patristic literature.

You had said:

“The Eastern Orthodox church does not accept Anslem's idea of satisfaction. Why not? Because they split off from the Catholic church before Anselm penned it. Their principle reason for rejecting the view is precisely because it doesn't appear in either the Scriptures or the writings of the fathers.”

You don’t seem to be understanding that the idea of satisfaction and the idea of a debt owed to God that had to be paid are one and the same thing.

I’m trying to address your points, but it's becoming a difficult task! \:\)

Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #10 - The Meaning of His DEATH [Re: Rosangela] #100007
06/16/08 12:41 AM
06/16/08 12:41 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
Of course. My point wasn't in regards to a relative's paying the debt for a slave. Of course 1st century Jews had this concept. They didn't have the concept I mentioned, which is that it would be necessary for a price to be paid in order for God to legally forgive one's sins.

Tom, the details are unimportant. The concept is important. The amount equivalent to the debt of the slave had to paid – there was a transference of debt. Thus, the slave’s debt could be legally cancelled.

My point was regarding the concept. A 1st century Jew would not have had the concept in mind that Christ's death was necessary for God to be able to legally pardon sin. I believe Christ's comments would have been understood as I suggested. Christ said He came not to be served but to serve, and to give His life as a ransom for many. The price paid was His life, and the purpose for giving it was to free us from sin. I think this is the point Jesus was wishing to communicate, and that His words could easily have been understood this way. I think it is an absolute impossibility that His words could have been understood by anyone who heard Him as meaning that Christ's death was necessary in order for God to have the legal right to pardon sin.

Quote:

R: Justice (retributive) and penal system have always existed. And, as I said, new elements are added as one builds upon the ideas of a predecessor.
T: Not in terms of theology. If they did, then the Eastern Orthodox church would have these concepts. (I added the word "retributive," since, of course, justice always existed.)

Not in terms of theology? What is your basis for saying that?

Penal system and justice have always existed in terms of people being incarcerated for things they did. However, the penal substitution idea and justice as Calvin formulated it have only existed for a few hundred years. That's what I meant.

Quote:
I’ve commented about the Orthodox Church in the last part of my previous post and of this post.

Quote:
R: As Garry Williams says, “Justin [Martyr]'s answer to Trypho is an unequivocal affirmation of penal substitution. He asks why, if Christ bore not his own but our curse, Trypho resists: 'If, then, the Father of all wished his Christ for the whole human family to take upon him the curses of all, knowing that, after he had been crucified and was dead, he would raise him up, why do you argue about him, who submitted to suffer these things according to the Father's will, as if he were accursed, and do not rather bewail yourselves?'”
T: I don't understand this point at all. Is this talking about Gen. 3:13? Where's the idea expressed that Christ was accursed so that God could legally forgive us?

I think you mean Gal. 3:13.

Yes, Gal. 3:13.

Quote:
You keep speaking repeatedly of “legally forgive” as if this was the only element of the penal substitution theory. I was trying to address the quote you posted which said:

Quote:
Calvin’s doctrine requires the additional idea of the “transfer of penalty”

Ok.

Quote:

Quote:

You had said:

“The Eastern Orthodox church does not accept Anslem's idea of satisfaction. Why not? Because they split off from the Catholic church before Anselm penned it. Their principle reason for rejecting the view is precisely because it doesn't appear in either the Scriptures or the writings of the fathers.”

You don’t seem to be understanding that the idea of satisfaction and the idea of a debt owed to God that had to be paid are one and the same thing.

This isn't true. I previously quoted from C. S. Lewis who agrees with the idea of a debt being paid, but not with the idea of satisfaction, which should be sufficient to establish this point.

Quote:
I’m trying to address your points, but it's becoming a difficult task! \:\)

Sorry! I've appreciated your input. One of the difficulties I believe is that there is a real paradigm shift which takes place. It's difficult to think of things differently than one is accustomed to doing. You're input has caused me to study things in more detail, which I'm appreciative of.

Here are some questions from an essay I was reading I found interesting (by Brad Jersak "Stricken by God?"):

What if the Fall of Genesis is not about the violation of a law, necessitating punishment. Perhaps it is about the venom of deception concerning God’s character and this led (and leads) humankind to partake of the poison fruit (anything from hedonism to moralism), requiring healing?

What if, rather than separating us from the love of God, the Fall triggered God’s great quest to descend into the chasm to seek and find the lost where they had stumbled? What if where sin abounds, grace abounds much more?

What if forgiveness is not something that is earned through sacrifices or punishment but is freely offered as antivenin to all who will look to the Crucified One after the pattern of the bronze serpent?

What if God was not punishing Jesus on the Cross, but rather, God was in Christ reconciling the world to Himself?

Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #10 - The Meaning of His DEATH [Re: Tom] #100008
06/16/08 01:52 AM
06/16/08 01:52 AM
C
Colin  Offline
Active Member 2012
Very Dedicated Member
E. Oregon, USA
Tom, you do err by missing the facts for the logic which you cite in the letter of the texts of Christian literature. Equally, you do not recognise the opposite explanation when stated in excerpts quoted for you: that Justin Martyr dialogue a case in point.

Historical literature has value for showing development and aberration, but you fail to grapple with the totality of up-to-date literature of the published SOP view points on the atonement. MM and Rosangela have provided the evidence, but you hold to logic so tenuously you fail to understand the facts around you on this thread or in your library at home. You aren't ignoring these facts as non-existent are you?

A debt is a penalty owed - that is linguistics and common sense. Death for sin is both natural and defined beforehand by the law!! Animal sacrifices REPLACED this death due us sinners, starting with Adam, premised on the promise of the Saviour: the substitutionary sacrifice of Christ was seen by faith by every believer since Adam - though Cain learned this lesson the hard way...! HAVING offered another life instead of his own, the sinner was personally "freely" pardoned, since the debt of giving a life - the penalty for every sinning yet "living soul"!! - bought pardon for mortal life to continue, and immortal life to follow.

This supported by Bible and SOP: it's not systematic theology - as someone might think themes congregate, it's "Biblical theology" as the spirit of the text expands the context from beginning to end and from any text to and from any text. I learned this from those I consider the best Bible teachers of our church, past and present.

You don't like violence, do you? God CAN'T be VIOLENT?!! - can he? Nevermind the plagues of Egypt and the time of trouble to come; let alone the licence the Devil gets to wreak havoc and destruction, and misery: That WAS WAR in heaven, and the Son of God himself "repented" of making man, in holy indignation: God personally unleashed the forces of nature against man and beast. It wasn't God 'Letting go control' of nature, or even just withdrawing his protection, for that doesn't fit God's methods or ends of judging, as that constitutes the 'luck of anarchy', and God is not anarchic! Judgement is deliberate, lawful and the death penalty for sin IS destructive...! Saving the world from judgement of guilt for sin requires a legally recognised Saviour from guilt, sin and death.

Death is needed to take away sin, not so, but being pardoned the paying of a penalty/debt for sin and guilt without the substitute payment - that is arbitrary, for having no basis in God's law or his justice, and fails to save from the judgement of death against sin.

Jesus saves us from sin AND death...!!

If you do not understand our (joint) explanation of salvation on this thread - also saved from guilt (which is what is pardoned, y'know!...:-)) - by Jesus' death (his life and resurrection, too...), then you need specialist help with your logical fallacies, since you remain with a flawed theology of an incomplete Gospel, which is a grave issue.:-)

Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #10 - The Meaning of His DEATH [Re: Colin] #100009
06/16/08 12:47 PM
06/16/08 12:47 PM
DebbieB  Offline
United Kingdom
I have just returned after not having internet access for a while, and found this thread. Pardon me, but I am not understanding Tom how you can miss penal substitution in the scriptures, since this theme is presented all through scripture.

In Genesis 3 God promises Eve that the saviour will come and defeat Sin, and institutes the sacrifice of a lamb as a sacrifice for sin (in a shadow of the Lamb of God), the OT Penal substitute.

In Exodus, Leviticus and Deuteronomy you have you have the institution of the Sacrificial system, now In that system the Day of atonement (let alone the passover, and daily sacrifices), had two lambs. Both had the sins of the people placed upon their heads, the one was led out into the wilderness to wander and die, the second, was placed on the alter FOR THE WHOLE NATION and was killed, it's blood drained, and consumed in the fire from the alter. The Ceremony was not comeplete here though, since the blood HAD to be taken by the high priest and sprinkled on the mercy seat. Had any part of this ceremony not taken place then the nation of Israel was not counted guiltless for the next year., and if any individual did not take part then they were cut off from the whole nation - an outcast.

In Isaiah 53 we see the suffering servant who's stripes were to heal us.

Paul said 'Without the shedding of blood there is no remission of sins.'

Tom, you asked for Jesus statements and teachings. Jesus said 'Before Abraham was I AM' He is the I AM of the Burning bush. It was Jesus who met with Moses and gave the ceremonial Law as a foreshadowing of His life and death. Therefore to ask just for Jesus teachings when He was on earth is cutting off your nose to spite your face so to speak.

We need to read not just what the words are saying, but also there context (the surrounding verses and extending to the whole scriptures). The scriptures that God and His Son have given us are whole we cannot extract one part from another.

As for what the early Fathers taught and believed I am not versed in that so I cannot say, but are we not verging dangerously close to Catholicism when we insist on hearing what the early fathers have written? Our Foundation is the word of God, and only His Word. As Jesus said 'man shall not live by bread alone, but by EVERY word that proceeds from the mouth of God'

Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #10 - The Meaning of His DEATH [Re: Tom] #100011
06/16/08 01:17 PM
06/16/08 01:17 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
 Quote:
T: “The Eastern Orthodox church does not accept Anslem's idea of satisfaction. Why not? Because they split off from the Catholic church before Anselm penned it. Their principle reason for rejecting the view is precisely because it doesn't appear in either the Scriptures or the writings of the fathers.”
R: You don’t seem to be understanding that the idea of satisfaction and the idea of a debt owed to God that had to be paid are one and the same thing.
T: This isn't true. I previously quoted from C. S. Lewis who agrees with the idea of a debt being paid, but not with the idea of satisfaction, which should be sufficient to establish this point.

The difference is in the nature of the debt.

In the early patristic literature, the idea of a debt to Satan is more prevalent, and this idea definitely has nothing to do with satisfaction and penal substitution.

Satisfaction is the payment of a debt to God – there is no other definition for it.

In Anselm, the debt and satisfaction is to God’s honor. There is no idea of Christ taking upon Himself our punishment. This is different from Calvin – Christ must take upon Himself our punishment because we had a debt to God’s justice.

Lewis sees our debt to God as a debt of repentance and surrendering of the will. This is different from the debt to God which is found in the church fathers. For instance, I quoted from St. Ephrem the Syrian:

“Thou hast taken upon Thyself the common debt of all in order to pay it back to Thy Father - pay back also, O guiltless Lord, those sins with which our freedom has indebted us. Thou hast redeemed us from the curse of the law by Thy precious blood. Deliver also those redeemed by Thy blood from harsh justice!”

Even more than to the debt of honor proposed by Anselm, the debt spoken of here seems to be related to penal substitution – a debt to justice.

This was an Eastern church father, and the person admits similar thoughts can be found in the early Western fathers. (And this indeed is true, for they speak of Christ taking upon Himself the curse of the law which was ours.) In response, the Orthodox priest says that the Eastern Orthodox church didn’t adopt this view as a dogma, but that the idea is indeed present in the early fathers.

So, the conclusion is that elements of the idea of penal substitution can be found in the patristic literature, and that the absence of that idea is not the reason why the Orthodox church didn't adopt it as its standard position.

Reply Quote
Page 10 of 24 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 23 24
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled
CAPTCHA Verification

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 04/25/24 09:37 AM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 04/21/24 06:41 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 04/24/24 02:15 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by dedication. 04/01/24 07:48 PM
Time Is Short!
by ProdigalOne. 03/29/24 10:50 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!