HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,608
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 16
kland 9
Daryl 3
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
ProdigalOne
ProdigalOne
Alberta, Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
5 registered members (Karen Y, dedication, ProdigalOne, 2 invisible), 3,120 guests, and 18 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 12 of 32 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 31 32
Re: Will Jesus change our character when He returns? [Re: Tom] #99744
05/31/08 02:39 PM
05/31/08 02:39 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
 Originally Posted By: Tom Ewall
 Quote:
Those pages are not talking about the same scene described on pages 662-665. She says they are exposed to the truth and to the glory of God without dying or desiring death. It couldn’t be worded more plainly.

It's clear to me that GC 662-665, DA 764, and GC 541-543 are all dealing with the subject of the destruction of the wicked. For example, from the GC 541-543 passage:

Quote:
The principles of kindness, mercy, and love, taught and exemplified by our Saviour, are a transcript of the will and character of God. Christ declared that He taught nothing except that which He had received from His Father. The principles of the divine government are in perfect harmony with the Saviour's precept, "Love your enemies." God executes justice upon the wicked, for the good of the universe, and even for the good of those upon whom His judgments are visited. (GC 541)

Isn't it clear this is dealing with the judgment of the unrighteous?

Quote:
GC 622-665 is not talking about the wicked being in heaven or not wanting to be in heaven. They are on earth. They are exposed to the truth and to the glory of God without dying or without desiring death. Instead, they are motivated to take the New Jerusalem by force. They are about to attack the city when once again the glory of God engulfs them - without causing them to die or to desire death. God rains fire from above and raises fire from below. In this fiery environment the wicked turn upon one another with murderous intentions. They eventually die.

I don't understand how you could read GC 541-543, or DA 764, and not understand that this is dealing with the judgment of the wicked. I've already quoted from GC 541 regarding this. From DA 764:

Quote:
Then the end will come. God will vindicate His law and deliver His people. Satan and all who have joined him in rebellion will be cut off. Sin and sinners will perish, root and branch, (Mal. 4:1),--Satan the root, and his followers the branches. The word will be fulfilled to the prince of evil, "Because thou hast set thine heart as the heart of God; . . . I will destroy thee, O covering cherub, from the midst of the stones of fire. . . . Thou shalt be a terror, and never shalt thou be any more." Then "the wicked shall not be: yea, thou shalt diligently consider his place, and it shall not be;" "they shall be as though they had not been." Ezek. 28:6-19; Ps. 37:10; Obadiah 16. (DA 764)

Isn't it clear that this is dealing with the thing as GC 622-625?

They're not describing the "same scenes". GC 662-665 includes specific details not covered in the other passages. Yes, they are talking about the same general time period, but they do not describe the same details. GC 662-665 makes it clear that the wicked do not die or wish to die during their initial exposure to truth and the glory of God. This point is indisputable. Yes, they will eventually die. But they will not wish to die. They will fight to live. True, if they were forced into heaven, forced to live with the saints in a sinless world they would wish to escape or die, but this point is merely theoretical since it will never happen.

Re: Will Jesus change our character when He returns? [Re: Tom] #99746
05/31/08 02:50 PM
05/31/08 02:50 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
 Originally Posted By: Tom Ewall
 Quote:
Does something have to make sense to you before you are willing to accept it? How far are you willing to take this idea? What about Jonah? Does it sound reasonable to believe he survived 72 hours in the belly of a fish? What about Lazarus? Is it reasonable to believe he came to life after being dead for four days? What about the tower of Babel? Is it reasonable to believe God made them speak different languages?

I skipped this inadvertently.

The Scriptures tell us that we should be able to give a reason for the hope that is within us. Ellen White urges us to use sound arguments, that will bear close examination. This requires the use of reason. If we read something, and come up with some interpretation which we find unreasonable, then we must reject our interpretation, or change our minds regarding what causes us to perceive our interpretation as unreasonable.

I believe that God created all things, including this earth in 6 days. So I have no doubt that God has the power to do whatever He wants. So, for example, that God raised Lazarus makes perfect sense to me, as anyone with the power and ability to create the Universe would have the power and ability to raise the dead.

Regarding everyone raised speaking English, it seems to me that it doesn't take much intelligence to recognize that the reason that Ellen White wrote that the wicked would say "Blessed is He who comes in the name of the Lord" was simply because she herself spoke English, and thus wrote the phrase in English, not because she had any idea that those raised would all speak English. Similarly, if her native language had been some other language than English, say Portuguese, she would have written "Bendito Aquele que vem no nome do Senhor!" which would have no more implied that all will speak Portuguese than her writing it the way she did implies they will all speak English.

As you know, much of what you deem "reasonable" the rest of the world deems fiction or fairy tales. Your argument doesn't hold water. How can billions of people, speaking hundreds of different languages, exclaim with "one" voice, "Blessed is He that cometh in the name of the Lord!"? I am willing to allow for the fact it might not be English, but it will be the same language. Otherwise, it would sound like chaos, not like one voice.

"Every eye in that vast multitude is turned to behold the glory of the Son of God. With one voice the wicked hosts exclaim: "Blessed is He that cometh in the name of the Lord!" It is not love to Jesus that inspires this utterance. The force of truth urges the words from unwilling lips."

Re: Will Jesus change our character when He returns? [Re: Mountain Man] #99771
06/02/08 11:14 PM
06/02/08 11:14 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
They're not describing the "same scenes". GC 662-665 includes specific details not covered in the other passages.

This is not a significant point. Each of the descriptions discusses different points. That doesn't meant they're dealing with different subjects.

Quote:
Yes, they are talking about the same general time period, but they do not describe the same details. GC 662-665 makes it clear that the wicked do not die or wish to die during their initial exposure to truth and the glory of God. This point is indisputable. Yes, they will eventually die. But they will not wish to die. They will fight to live. True, if they were forced into heaven, forced to live with the saints in a sinless world they would wish to escape or die, but this point is merely theoretical since it will never happen.

You're not considering the other statements. You don't deny that GC 541-543 is dealing with the final judgment of the wicked, do you? Or DA 764? Or DA 108? From these passages we learn that certain principles apply to the judgment. For example, from DA 108 we learn that the wicked choose to die, that their death is the result of their own choice, as opposed to something God does to them. In GC 543 we learn that the choice of the wicked to be excluded from heaven is voluntary with themselves.

I'm not seeing how your ideas are taking into account these insights in regards to the judgment of the wicked.

Quote:
As you know, much of what you deem "reasonable" the rest of the world deems fiction or fairy tales. Your argument doesn't hold water. How can billions of people, speaking hundreds of different languages, exclaim with "one" voice, "Blessed is He that cometh in the name of the Lord!"? I am willing to allow for the fact it might not be English, but it will be the same language. Otherwise, it would sound like chaos, not like one voice.

"Every eye in that vast multitude is turned to behold the glory of the Son of God. With one voice the wicked hosts exclaim: "Blessed is He that cometh in the name of the Lord!" It is not love to Jesus that inspires this utterance. The force of truth urges the words from unwilling lips."

My whole point was that it wouldn't be in English. Given that you accept this to be true, I'm at a bit of a loss as to why you didn't just so say immediately, rather than dispute this point as you have been.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Will Jesus change our character when He returns? [Re: Tom] #99951
06/14/08 11:16 PM
06/14/08 11:16 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA

The point is - GC 662-665 makes it clear that the wicked do not die or wish to die during their initial exposure to truth and the glory of God.

Re: Will Jesus change our character when He returns? [Re: Mountain Man] #100003
06/15/08 10:28 PM
06/15/08 10:28 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:

The point is - GC 662-665 makes it clear that the wicked do not die or wish to die during their initial exposure to truth and the glory of God.

It's been awhile since we last spoke, but I think the points I was making was that in GC 543 we see that the exclusion of the wicked from heaven is voluntary with themselves. The do not wish to be in heaven, for the reasons pointed out there.

I've also made the point that the light of the glory of God, which gives life to the righteous, will slay the wicked.

Regarding the quote you reference, isn't this before God has revealed the wicked their sins?

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Will Jesus change our character when He returns? [Re: Tom] #100015
06/16/08 02:34 PM
06/16/08 02:34 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
GC 662-665 describes the resurrection of the wicked and their initial exposure to the truth and to the glory of God - and they do not die, nor do they desire to die. That's the point. You seem to be arguing against this point. Why?

Even after they endure exposure to the truth and to the glory of God during the Great White Throne of judgment of their sins, they do not die, nor do they desire to die. Which is also the point.

By the way, her comments about the wicked not enjoying being in heaven in with the righteous is purely theoretical. It will never happen. The wicked will never be in heaven to learn they wouldn't enjoy it. Nevertheless, she doesn't conclude they would die or desire to die. They would simply rather live somewhere else.

So, I'm not finding support for your idea that the truth and the glory of God is what causes the resurrected wicked to die or to desire to die at the end of time. Instead, it is fire rained down from above and raised up from below that causes the wicked to suffer and die in duration and in proportion to their sinfulness. Which is also the point.

Re: Will Jesus change our character when He returns? [Re: Mountain Man] #100016
06/16/08 02:40 PM
06/16/08 02:40 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
With these things in mind - Will Jesus change our character when He returns? Or, must the necessary and required changes happen before we die? How does this apply to the thief on the cross? Did he change his character sufficiently so that no further changes were necessary for him to be admitted to heaven? Or, did he possess certain unknown defective character traits that must be dealt with en route to heaven before being admitted therein?

Re: Will Jesus change our character when He returns? [Re: Mountain Man] #100066
06/18/08 02:31 AM
06/18/08 02:31 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
GC 662-665 describes the resurrection of the wicked and their initial exposure to the truth and to the glory of God - and they do not die, nor do they desire to die. That's the point. You seem to be arguing against this point. Why?

I've haven't been addressing this point one way or the other, because this doesn't have to do with the point I was making. I have been pointing out that the exclusion of the wicked is voluntary with themselves, that they do not wish to be in God's presence, and so forth. I have been pointing out that the light of the revelation of God, which gives life to the righteous, will slay the wicked. I have been pointing out that the destruction of the wicked is the result of their own choice.

Quote:
Even after they endure exposure to the truth and to the glory of God during the Great White Throne of judgment of their sins, they do not die, nor do they desire to die. Which is also the point.

"Enduring exposure" isn't the right way to look at this, IMO. If you look at the description of what happens in the judgment, and compare the statements in GC 541-543 and DA 764, it seems very clear that the wicked voluntary choose to be excluded from heaven, that their destruction is due to their own choices, and that the light of the glory of God, which gives lift to the righteous will slay the wicked. These are the points I've been making.

Quote:
By the way, her comments about the wicked not enjoying being in heaven in with the righteous is purely theoretical. It will never happen. The wicked will never be in heaven to learn they wouldn't enjoy it.

Heaven is being in God's presence. The wicked will experience this, and will not desire it.

Quote:
Nevertheless, she doesn't conclude they would die or desire to die. They would simply rather live somewhere else.

DA 764 says this, quoting Christ ("All they that hate me love (choose) death").

Quote:
So, I'm not finding support for your idea that the truth and the glory of God is what causes the resurrected wicked to die or to desire to die at the end of time.

DA 108 is very clear about this. Read the part about the glory of God destroying sin wherever it is found, and how those who insist on clinging to it will be destroyed. Also there's the statement I've been repeated citing which states that the light of the glory of God, which gives life to the righteous, will destroy the wicked. Also there's the statement in DA 764 which says that the glory of Him who is love will destroy them.

Quote:
Instead, it is fire rained down from above and raised up from below that causes the wicked to suffer and die in duration and in proportion to their sinfulness. Which is also the point.

This isn't considering DA 108, DA 764, GC 541-543, and other places where she describes the judgment. It's just looking at a description of the vision, without considering the principles involved. Please consider DA 764, the two paragraphs starting with her stating that the destruction of the wicked is *not* due to an arbitrary act of power on God's part. It seems to me you keep asserting that it is.

Re: Will Jesus change our character when He returns? [Re: Tom] #100077
06/18/08 02:54 PM
06/18/08 02:54 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Tom, if what you believe is true, how do you explain the fact that the resurrected sinners are neither slain or destroyed during their initial exposure to the truth or to the glory of God nor do they desire to die?

Re: Will Jesus change our character when He returns? [Re: Mountain Man] #100078
06/18/08 02:59 PM
06/18/08 02:59 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
With these things in mind - Will Jesus change our character when He returns? Or, must the necessary and required changes happen before we die? How does this apply to the thief on the cross? Did he change his character sufficiently so that no further changes were necessary for him to be admitted to heaven? Or, did he possess certain unknown defective character traits that must be dealt with en route to heaven before being admitted therein?

Page 12 of 32 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 31 32

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 04/30/24 10:34 PM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 04/21/24 06:41 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by dedication. 05/01/24 02:33 AM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by ProdigalOne. 04/29/24 04:47 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by dedication. 04/01/24 07:48 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!