HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,629
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 24
kland 13
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (Karen Y, Daryl, dedication, Nadi, 2 invisible), 2,967 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 16 of 24 1 2 14 15 16 17 18 23 24
Re: Lesson #10 - The Meaning of His DEATH [Re: Rosangela] #100249
06/26/08 02:59 PM
06/26/08 02:59 PM
S
scott  Offline
Wyoming, USA
 Quote:
By Rosangela: Why does Christ speak to His Father about His death? Did God grant His grace because Christ died? This does not make sense under your view. What then do you mean?

This conversation speaks of “grace” as if it were a noun, but it is an active verb or adjective. Grace is God’s character in action. God doesn’t grant grace, but acts like His graceful self. Grace is a description of God in action. It is His motive for all of His actions. God is gracious and therefore when we see Him move we are awestruck with His grace. Because of His outrageous love, forgiveness, and efforts to save all of His lost children we see Him act and all we can say is, “What Grace!”

Also God doesn’t grant grace to some and withhold it from others. We are all exposed to God’s gracefulness every day.

scott

Reply Quote
Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Re: Lesson #10 - The Meaning of His DEATH [Re: scott] #100251
06/26/08 03:08 PM
06/26/08 03:08 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Scott, where in Scripture does it clearly explain why Jesus had to die, what His death accomplishes?

Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #10 - The Meaning of His DEATH [Re: Rosangela] #100253
06/26/08 03:43 PM
06/26/08 03:43 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
"Everyone who has been free to condemn or discourage, will in his own experience be brought over the ground where he has caused others to pass; he will feel what they have suffered because of his want of sympathy and tenderness." He does this.
What I quoted is precisely the preceding sentence. The phrase "the love of God toward us has decreed this" is simply saying that God, because of His love for us, brings us over the ground mentioned. She is not arguing that God's love has decreed that good things come from good or that bad things come from evil.

OK. God, because of His love for us, brings us over the ground mentioned. Which is what?

The reason I said "ground mentioned" was because it was easier than typing "the ground where he has caused others to pass" (but this didn't work, since I had to type it anyway. \:\) )

Quote:
Also experiencing condemnation and discouragement – IOW, “Whatever we give, we shall receive again. ... And evil imparted also returns again” (her words at the beginning of the quote).

Because of grace, the cause and effect of one's actions may not be apparent. However, this cause and effect must be seen and understood, otherwise one will not understand the results of one's actions. So God works in such a way that we can see these things, so that we can understand the problem of sin, and seek to be delivered from it.

She's not saying God did something arbitrary or artificial or imposed or whatever word one wishes to use so that when we do good, good things result, or when we do evil, bad things result.

Quote:
Ok, let's try it this way. Imagine you are God. Explain to me how a sentient being can be created who can love and be loved and not experience bad things when he does evil.

Tom, when God created us, He deliberately put within our soul certain characteristics. For instance, He could have created us with the capacity to love other human beings and be loved by them, but having no need to love Him (a Superior Being) and be loved by Him.But He didn’t do so. He put a need for Him within us.

I disagree with your assertions here. Specifically, that God could have created us without having a need to love God or be loved by Him. I think this demonstrates a lack of understanding of what eternal life is. According to Jesus, eternal life is knowing God. To know God is to love Him. Therefore we could not have had eternal life without knowing and loving God.

The way we were made, having free will, having a conscience, being able to love God and apprehend His love for us, were not arbitrary decisions. How many arms and legs we have, whether we have the types of bodies at all that we have (as opposed to angels) these sorts of things were arbitrary, but not characteristics like having free will, conscience, capacity to know an love God, etc.

Quote:
In the same way, He could have created us in such a way that our feelings would be under the command of our will, so that we could command our hearts to not suffer. But He didn’t do that.

No, He couldn't. God cannot command even Himself not to suffer. He suffers because He loves. The only way to avoid suffering is to not have sin. Suffering is not an arbitrary result that God decided one should feel.

Quote:
So, God chose the way in which both our bodies and our minds should work.

Of course He chose how our bodies and minds should work, but in terms of our discussion, that bad things happen when one does evil, or good things when one does good, this was not something arbitrary which God caused to happen. It is a byproduct of being created as a moral being.

The examples you gave are also non-arbitrary, but the results of being created moral beings with the capacity to love and be loved.

It's an interesting conversation, that's for sure! We seem to be on opposite ends here. I see pretty much nothing as being arbitrary, except things having to do with physical characteristics, whereas you seem to think that there is no cause and effect at all, unless God arbitrarily puts it there. For example, you speak in terms of God creating cause and effect. I don't believe He created this. Cause and effect is itself a non-arbitrary thing.

I guess this is a good bottom line test. If you take the position that cause and effect is arbitrary, then it would follow that everything else is arbitrary too.

Just to be clear, I'm still using "arbitrary" in a non-pejorative way to mean simply that God did something specific to make things one way as opposed to some other way they could have been had He made some other decision. So God (under your view) could have made things such that causes would not have effects had He wanted to. I'm not 100% sure this is what you are wanting to say, but it seems to me you have been saying that God created the laws of cause and effect, which seems to me to be equivalent to saying that God could have created things in some other way, without these laws operating as they do.

Quote:
At this point Lucifer still thought he was right and God was wrong. He hadn’t been convinced he was in error. It’s true he was resisting light, but he hadn’t yet had a full understanding of that light. God is a God of mercy and no one will be held accountable for a light he hasn’t apprehended. He had to make an intelligent decision as to whether he would submit to God or not, and he was still undecided, for “he had not at that time fully cast off his allegiance to God” (PP 39).

When did his sin happen?

“Evil originated with the rebellion of Lucifer. It was brought into heaven when he refused allegiance to God's law. Satan was the first lawbreaker.” {RH, June 4, 1901 par. 3}

Yes, the sin of his fully casting his allegiance to God did not happen until after he made his final decision to rebel, and this did not happen until after he was convinced he was wrong to do so. However, this isn't the only sin Lucifer had been committing. He committed a whole host of sins, which are easy to see in the passages I've been quoting.

To name just one, she said that he allowed envy and hatred to prevail over him and continued to resent God (this is from memory; words not 100% same, but idea is). This is *way* before the passage you are talking about. This is certainly a description of a willful sin.

Again, God offered Lucifer pardon again and again. For what, if not willful sin? These offers of pardon were *before* Lucifer cast off his allegiance to God.

If one simply reads the descriptions of what Lucifer did, it can be readily seen that he was willfully sinning. Just give the passage to someone who is not familiar with what we've been discussing and ask the question, "Is this being willfully sinning?"

Quote:
As if Paul and Ellen White taught something different from Jesus! It’s this that is amusing. If they taught, then they weren’t inspired by Jesus.

"If they taught, then they weren't inspired by Jesus." I didn't understand what this meant until I translated it into Portuguese, and then it made perfect sense.

Let's start with Paul and Jesus first. I believe that Paul learned what he taught through Jesus' teachings. I don't believe that he articulated a new Gospel, one which Jesus did not teach, in particular that he did not articulate meanings for Christ's death which Jesus did not teach. Because I believe this, any teaching of Paul's on this question I can back up with statements of Jesus Christ.

Therefore if one really believes that Jesus and either Paul or EGW are teaching the same thing, you should be able to quote Jesus Christ when so requested, right? It would only be because they do not teach the same thing that you would quote them and not Jesus Christ when asked to provide a quote from Jesus Christ.

The reason you and Colin do not quote Jesus Christ to support your ideas is because you are unable to do so. The reason you are unable to do so is because He did not teach what you are asserting. In particular, He never taught that He had to die in order for God to be able to legally pardon us.

Quote:
Let’s slightly change what Jesus said. "The Son of Man came not to be served, but to serve, and give His life to save the world." Was Jesus speaking about salvation? No. He was speaking about His attitude of service. Does this mean He did not come to save the world, and that if I say that He did I’m disregarding the context? How valid is this argument?

How was He serving? By giving His life as a ransom. What is a ransom? It’s the price paid to cancel the debt of a slave and free him. Why did Jesus use this unusual word? Because He wanted to convey the idea that we had a debt we couldn’t pay and He came here to pay this debt with His own life.

You mean like Calvin taught? There's not a soul on earth that would have understood Jesus' words along the lines of what Calvin taught. Can we agree on this point?

Quote:
The way you understand what this debt was and how He paid it with His life is what we are discussing. In support of my/Colin’s/MM’s interpretation we are quoting the words of Paul and of Ellen White. Who are you quoting in support of yours?

I've been quoting Jesus Christ. He seemed like a good choice.

Quote:
Yes, it does. I asked why Jesus pleads His blood for the forgiveness of sin, and the passage I quoted said,

“Jesus is the only hope of the soul. ... The moment the sinner lays hold of Christ by faith, his sins are no longer upon him. Christ stands in the sinner's place, and declares, ‘I have borne his guilt, I have been punished for his transgressions, I have taken his sins, and put My righteousness upon him.’” {PrT, January 30, 1890 par. 6}

This, to me, is the same thing.

To me what she wrote is the same thing as what I quoted from DA 25.

Quote:
If it [Christ's pleading of His blood for the forgiveness of our sin] is not literal, then what does it mean?
Since you asked me first, I'll give a brief answer, which I can elaborate on. God forgives us not on the basis of our goodness, but on the basis of His grace, which comes to us through Christ.

Why does Christ speak to His Father about His death? Did God grant His grace because Christ died? This does not make sense under your view. What then do you mean?

What do I mean? I'm asking you whether you understand Christ's pleading His blood for the forgiveness of sin as something literal. In other words, say you sin, and repent, and ask forgiveness. Do you see Christ as literally appearing before the Father, pleading His blood for you, so that God will forgive you?

Regarding your question about grace, I would say that God's grace is manifest in Christ, as opposed to created by Christ's death. From a physical standpoint, His grace is effective for all. From a spiritual standpoint, His grace becomes effective by faith in Christ.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #10 - The Meaning of His DEATH [Re: Mountain Man] #100265
06/26/08 09:36 PM
06/26/08 09:36 PM
S
scott  Offline
Wyoming, USA
 Originally Posted By: Mountain Man
Scott, where in Scripture does it clearly explain why Jesus had to die, what His death accomplishes?

I think Romans 5 tells us very well what Christ's death accomplished. It demonstrated God's love for His enemies thereby causing some of them to love Him and reconcile with Himself.

Quote:
6You see, at just the right time, when we were still powerless, Christ died for the ungodly. 7Very rarely will anyone die for a righteous man, though for a good man someone might possibly dare to die. 8But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us.

9Since we have now been justified by his blood, how much more shall we be saved from God's wrath through him! 10For if, when we were God's enemies, we were reconciled to him through the death of his Son, how much more, having been reconciled, shall we be saved through his life! 11Not only is this so, but we also rejoice in God through our Lord Jesus Christ, through whom we have now received reconciliation.

scott

Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #10 - The Meaning of His DEATH [Re: Tom] #100270
06/27/08 01:16 AM
06/27/08 01:16 AM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
 Quote:
The way we were made, having free will, having a conscience, being able to love God and apprehend His love for us, were not arbitrary decisions. How many arms and legs we have, whether we have the types of bodies at all that we have (as opposed to angels) these sorts of things were arbitrary, but not characteristics like having free will, conscience, capacity to know an love God, etc.

I disagree. As I see it, God carefully planned every detail about both Adam’s body and mind.

Quote:
For example, you speak in terms of God creating cause and effect. I don't believe He created this. Cause and effect is itself a non-arbitrary thing.
I guess this is a good bottom line test. If you take the position that cause and effect is arbitrary, then it would follow that everything else is arbitrary too.

The will of God establishes the connection between cause and its effects. Fearful consequences are attached to the least violation of God's law. All will seek to avoid the result, but will not labor to avoid the cause which produced the effect. The cause is wrong, the effect right, to restrain the transgressor.” {ApM 26.1}

Quote:
However, this isn't the only sin Lucifer had been committing. He committed a whole host of sins, which are easy to see in the passages I've been quoting.

It's true he sinned, but the truth had to reach his understanding before he could be held accountable for these sins.
Anyway, it’s useless to continue discussing this, for we have done so many times in the past but haven’t been able to reach an agreement.

Quote:
"If they taught, then they weren't inspired by Jesus." I didn't understand what this meant until I translated it into Portuguese, and then it made perfect sense.

How should I have said this in English?

Quote:
The reason you and Colin do not quote Jesus Christ to support your ideas is because you are unable to do so. The reason you are unable to do so is because He did not teach what you are asserting. In particular, He never taught that He had to die in order for God to be able to legally pardon us.

He never taught explicitly that there is a sanctuary in heaven and that He is the high priest of that sanctuary. He never taught explicitly that our body is the temple of the Holy Spirit. He never taught explicitly that He had to die in order for God to be able to pardon us. But He did speak about these things, and what He said is further explained in other parts of the Bible.

Quote:
R: How was He serving? By giving His life as a ransom. What is a ransom? It’s the price paid to cancel the debt of a slave and free him. Why did Jesus use this unusual word? Because He wanted to convey the idea that we had a debt we couldn’t pay and He came here to pay this debt with His own life.
T: You mean like Calvin taught? There's not a soul on earth that would have understood Jesus' words along the lines of what Calvin taught. Can we agree on this point?

First, light is progressive. Second, the fact that there are so many theories on the atonement shows the effort of Christians, to this day, to understand how Christ’s death effected our salvation. After all, this theme will be our study for all eternity. Ellen White throws further light on the subject, using elements from all the theories of the atonement, including the penal-substitution theory.

Quote:
R: The way you understand what this debt was and how He paid it with His life is what we are discussing. In support of my/Colin’s/MM’s interpretation we are quoting the words of Paul and of Ellen White. Who are you quoting in support of yours?
T: I've been quoting Jesus Christ. He seemed like a good choice.

No. You seem to be trying to avoid what He said. How do you understand His words – that He came to give His life as a ransom?

Quote:
R: Why does Christ speak to His Father about His death? Did God grant His grace because Christ died? This does not make sense under your view. What then do you mean?
T: What do I mean? I'm asking you whether you understand Christ's pleading His blood for the forgiveness of sin as something literal. In other words, say you sin, and repent, and ask forgiveness. Do you see Christ as literally appearing before the Father, pleading His blood for you, so that God will forgive you?

Yes. I understand that my forgiveness comes only by virtue of the sacrifice He made. My sins are imputed to Him, and His righteousness imputed to me. He took upon Himself the curse of the law due to my transgressions.

Quote:
Regarding your question about grace, I would say that God's grace is manifest in Christ, as opposed to created by Christ's death. From a physical standpoint, His grace is effective for all. From a spiritual standpoint, His grace becomes effective by faith in Christ.

“We have a risen Lord, ascended on high, who ever liveth to make intercession for us. ... We know where he is,--in the presence of the Father, pleading his blood for the forgiveness of our sins.” {RH, September 21, 1886 par. 15}

If Christ was speaking to human beings, it would still make sense for Him to speak of His death as the basis for their pardon, but since He is speaking to God, what sense does it make, under your view, to present His death as a basis for the forgiveness of their sins?

Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #10 - The Meaning of His DEATH [Re: Rosangela] #100271
06/27/08 01:21 AM
06/27/08 01:21 AM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
Just a note. I'll travel tomorrow morning and will be away until Sunday evening. I hope to be back here by Monday.

Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #10 - The Meaning of His DEATH [Re: Rosangela] #100274
06/27/08 03:01 AM
06/27/08 03:01 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
T:The way we were made, having free will, having a conscience, being able to love God and apprehend His love for us, were not arbitrary decisions. How many arms and legs we have, whether we have the types of bodies at all that we have (as opposed to angels) these sorts of things were arbitrary, but not characteristics like having free will, conscience, capacity to know an love God, etc.

R:I disagree. As I see it, God carefully planned every detail about both Adam’s body and mind.

This response takes me aback. You can't really believe I don't think God carefully planned every detail about Adam's body and mind, do you? You must have seriously misunderstand what I wrote.

That the number of arms we have, and all the other physical characteristics we have, is arbitrary means that God used His individual discretion in determining these things, which, of course, implies that He carefully planned every detail about Adam's physical characteristics. I've been arguing that the fact that doing evil leads to bad results is not arbitrary, not that God didn't plan every detail about Adam's body and mind. Of course He did. He created Adam. How could God have created Adam without planning every detail?

Quote:
For example, you speak in terms of God creating cause and effect. I don't believe He created this. Cause and effect is itself a non-arbitrary thing.

“The will of God establishes the connection between cause and its effects. Fearful consequences are attached to the least violation of God's law. All will seek to avoid the result, but will not labor to avoid the cause which produced the effect. The cause is wrong, the effect right, to restrain the transgressor.” {ApM 26.1}

Well, the will of God establishes everything, right? I don't know what you wish to say by this. I guess you are saying, in an indirect way, that you think the fact that a cause has an effect is arbitrary.

Quote:
However, this isn't the only sin Lucifer had been committing. He committed a whole host of sins, which are easy to see in the passages I've been quoting.

It's true he sinned, but the truth had to reach his understanding before he could be held accountable for these sins.

If he couldn't have been held accountable for these sins, he wouldn't have been offered pardon.

Quote:

Anyway, it’s useless to continue discussing this, for we have done so many times in the past but haven’t been able to reach an agreement.

That's fine, but when the SOP is used to state that God can only legally pardon because Christ died, I'll bring Lucifer back up, because how God dealt with Lucifer completely disproves this idea. The fact is that God offered Lucifer pardon again and again, without any necessity for Christ's death. This establishes conclusively that God can offer pardon without death.

Quote:

How should I have said this in English?

Here's a bit more of what you said to make this easier to explain:

Quote:
As Paul and Ellen White taught something different from Jesus! It’s this that is amusing. If they taught, then they weren’t inspired by Jesus.

You could say, "If they taught something different, then ..." or "If they so taught, then ..." "Taught," without a direct object, would refer to the act of teaching per se, not to the teaching of some specific thing.

Quote:
He never taught explicitly that there is a sanctuary in heaven and that He is the high priest of that sanctuary. He never taught explicitly that our body is the temple of the Holy Spirit. He never taught explicitly that He had to die in order for God to be able to pardon us. But He did speak about these things, and what He said is further explained in other parts of the Bible.

Ok, here you're giving examples of other things which you don't believe Jesus explicitly taught. This implies you agree with my assertion, which is that Jesus did not explicitly teach that He had to die in order for God to legally pardon us. I agree!

Quote:
R: The way you understand what this debt was and how He paid it with His life is what we are discussing. In support of my/Colin’s/MM’s interpretation we are quoting the words of Paul and of Ellen White. Who are you quoting in support of yours?
T: I've been quoting Jesus Christ. He seemed like a good choice.

No. You seem to be trying to avoid what He said. How do you understand His words – that He came to give His life as a ransom?

I explained this previously, in quite some detail in fact. So I haven't been avoiding what He said.

I explained that ransom would likely have been understood as having to do with the freeing of slaves. By Christ's death, He freed us from the slavery of sin. How He did so He explained elsewhere in His teachings, for example, with Nicodemus, to whom He explained the principle of "look and live."

He used the word "ransom" because a ransom is a price which is necessary to be paid in order for one to be freed. It was necessary for Christ to die in order for us to be freed from sin.

This interpretation has the advantage of both being in harmony with what Christ often taught elsewhere, and being easily understood by His hearers. The idea that Christ was teaching that He had to die in order for God to legally pardon us has the following shortcomings.

1)It's not in harmony with the context.
2)No follower of His would have understood Him to be teaching Calvin's idea.
3)It doesn't agree with anything He taught elsewhere.

Quote:
R: Why does Christ speak to His Father about His death? Did God grant His grace because Christ died? This does not make sense under your view. What then do you mean?
T: What do I mean? I'm asking you whether you understand Christ's pleading His blood for the forgiveness of sin as something literal. In other words, say you sin, and repent, and ask forgiveness. Do you see Christ as literally appearing before the Father, pleading His blood for you, so that God will forgive you?

Yes. I understand that my forgiveness comes only by virtue of the sacrifice He made. My sins are imputed to Him, and His righteousness imputed to me. He took upon Himself the curse of the law due to my transgressions.

You said "yes," but then offered an explanation which is not literal, but symbolic. If you really believed it was literal, you would believe that Christ actually stands before God pleading His blood in our behalf so that God will forgive us, since that's what "literal" means.

Quote:

“We have a risen Lord, ascended on high, who ever liveth to make intercession for us. ... We know where he is,--in the presence of the Father, pleading his blood for the forgiveness of our sins.” {RH, September 21, 1886 par. 15}

If Christ was speaking to human beings, it would still make sense for Him to speak of His death as the basis for their pardon, but since He is speaking to God, what sense does it make, under your view, to present His death as a basis for the forgiveness of their sins?

I don't believe He's literally doing this. What would be the purpose? To remind God, because God had forgotten? To convince God to do something He would not otherwise be inclined to do? There's no reason for Christ to literally appear before God pleading His blood, is there?

The reason He is presented as speaking to God is for our benefit, not God's. It's a metaphor, or symbol, to let us know that our forgiveness is possible because of Christ's righteousness, not our own.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #10 - The Meaning of His DEATH [Re: scott] #100290
06/27/08 07:41 PM
06/27/08 07:41 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
 Originally Posted By: scott
 Originally Posted By: Mountain Man

I think Romans 5 tells us very well what Christ's death accomplished. It demonstrated God's love for His enemies thereby causing some of them to love Him and reconcile with Himself.

Quote:
6You see, at just the right time, when we were still powerless, Christ died for the ungodly. 7Very rarely will anyone die for a righteous man, though for a good man someone might possibly dare to die. 8But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us.

9Since we have now been justified by his blood, how much more shall we be saved from God's wrath through him! 10For if, when we were God's enemies, we were reconciled to him through the death of his Son, how much more, having been reconciled, shall we be saved through his life! 11Not only is this so, but we also rejoice in God through our Lord Jesus Christ, through whom we have now received reconciliation.

“Since we have now been justified by his blood, how much more shall we be saved from God's wrath through him!” What is the “wrath” of God? Why must justified sinners be “saved” from it? How are they saved from it “through” Jesus?

“For if, when we were God's enemies, we were reconciled to him through the death of his Son, how much more, having been reconciled, shall we be saved through his life!” How does the death of Jesus “reconcile” sinners to God? How are they saved “through” Jesus’ life?

The following passages speak to what Jesus came to accomplish:

John
3:16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

1 John
3:5 And ye know that he was manifested to take away our sins; and in him is no sin.
3:8 He that committeth sin is of the devil; for the devil sinneth from the beginning. For this purpose the Son of God was manifested, that he might destroy the works of the devil.

Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #10 - The Meaning of His DEATH [Re: Mountain Man] #100296
06/27/08 08:54 PM
06/27/08 08:54 PM
S
scott  Offline
Wyoming, USA
 Quote:
By MM: “Since we have now been justified by his blood, how much more shall we be saved from God's wrath through him!” What is the “wrath” of God? Why must justified sinners be “saved” from it? How are they saved from it “through” Jesus?

Hi MM,

Since we are quoting from Romans 5 we might well look at the only systematic theology on the wrath of God in the bible. It happens to be in Romans 1 of which chapter 5 is a continuation. Romans 1 makes it clear that the wrath of God is God letting us go to the consequences of our chosen sin. So I would say that Jesus’ death demonstrated God’s love and reconciles the sinner back to God thus saving the sinner through a demonstration of His gracefulness.

What do you think “Saved by Grace” means?

Quote:
By MM: How does the death of Jesus “reconcile” sinners to God? How are they saved “through” Jesus’ life?

Had Paul said this in English it would look something like this:

7 It is a rare thing for someone to give their life for a righteous man even though they might be willing to die for a good man, 8 but God demonstrated his love for us in that He sent Christ to die for us sinners. And now that we have been set right with God though this demonstration of his love in dying for us just think how much more we will be saved from our sins separating us from God in the end. 10 For if God’s enemies are made his friends through Jesus’ love shown by his death how much more shall His life of righteousness influence our salvation. 11 What a cause for rejoicing! Thank God that we have accepted his act of reconciliation.

scott

Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #10 - The Meaning of His DEATH [Re: scott] #100314
06/28/08 04:11 AM
06/28/08 04:11 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
“Since we have now been justified by his blood, how much more shall we be saved from God's wrath through him!” What is the “wrath” of God? Why must justified sinners be “saved” from it?

The passage doesn't say "God's wrath." It just says "wrath." The wrath Paul could be speaking of is ours. God saves us from our anger against Him by reconciling us to Himself. This fits in perfectly with the context of Romans 5. God wasn't angry at us, but loved us, so much so that He gave us His Son to save us from ourselves.

Reply Quote
Page 16 of 24 1 2 14 15 16 17 18 23 24
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled
CAPTCHA Verification

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 05/06/24 12:18 PM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/05/24 05:39 AM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by dedication. 05/06/24 02:37 PM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:33 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:29 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:27 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by kland. 05/06/24 10:32 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!