HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,632
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 20
kland 5
Daryl 2
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
3 registered members (Karen Y, Daryl, dedication), 3,496 guests, and 12 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 28 of 55 1 2 26 27 28 29 30 54 55
Re: Does polygame violate the 7th commandment? [Re: Tom] #100331
06/29/08 06:16 AM
06/29/08 06:16 AM
S
scott  Offline
Wyoming, USA
Very well said, Tom!

Not much I can add other than I would like to explore the idea that the law is a reflection of our love for sin rather than a reflection of God's character.

Both in the law and the punishment is reflected the hardness of our hearts rather than God's ideal or His character. It is like God saw a path to work though the ignorance and violence of sin and that path included violence because we were so violent that there was no other way to lead us without violating our free will.

It seems to me that, to God, freedom is a greater priority than sin. He allowed sin to play out because is was our choice, but refuses to stop it by violating our freedom. Therefore, it seems to me that, God is more concerned about protecting freedom than preventing sin.

I wonder if it is because love can only exist in freedom and if this freedom experiment fails then everything God has done to create creatures in His own image would also be a failure. Some how God doesn't want any more robots!

scott

Re: Does polygame violate the 7th commandment? [Re: scott] #100332
06/29/08 12:36 PM
06/29/08 12:36 PM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
There was no way to prevent sin permanently than by not preventing it temporarily. If God had taken actions to prevent sin temporarily, that would have involved bringing it to an end at a time when His actions would have been misinterpreted as agreeing with what the enemy was accusing Him of, which would have just made things worse. The only way for God to be seen as different than Satan was to let things play out, and even so God has been widely misunderstood, His attributes being mistaken for Satan's on a wide scale.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Does polygame violate the 7th commandment? [Re: Tom] #100333
06/29/08 12:52 PM
06/29/08 12:52 PM
S
scott  Offline
Wyoming, USA
 Originally Posted By: Tom Ewall
There was no way to prevent sin permanently than by not preventing it temporarily. If God had taken actions to prevent sin temporarily, which would have involved bringing it to an end at a time when His actions would have been misinterpreted as agreeing with what the enemy was accusing Him of, which would have just made things worse. The only way for God to be seen as different from Satan was to let things play out, and even so God has been widely misunderstood, His attributes being mistaken for Satan's on a wide scale.

That is how I see it too, Tom!

Satan could break all the rules, but God only had one path that He could follow and that is to act according to His Righteousness. Freedom and love are not some arbitrary way God decided to act. This is not an act at all. Freedom and love are the essence of who God is and for Him to change would be to make Satan's accusations about Him true.

This earth is a demonstration of the reality of what is. Is love more powerful than hate? Is freedom more powerful than bondage? It doesn't seem to be the reality in the short term, but in the long run God's ways will be proven right and it isn't because He stacks the deck and forces it to be that way. It is because it is that way. We are a demonstrate that God is right and His ways are life!

scott

Re: Does polygame violate the 7th commandment? [Re: scott] #100338
06/29/08 04:34 PM
06/29/08 04:34 PM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
It doesn't seem to be the reality in the short term, but in the long run God's ways will be proven right and it isn't because He stacks the deck and forces it to be that way.

If He stacked the deck, it wouldn't take so long, but it would be contrary to His character.

This is interesting to think about in relation to Christ's coming. Many view the timing of Christ's coming as being set by God. Under this scenario, there's no satisfactory answer as to why Christ hasn't come it. There's no reason God should take this long to send Him, especially as Christ promised to come soon. However, if the deck is not stacked, then things will take as long as they take. There's really nothing God can do to shorten the time because He is dependent on beings with free will to take the truth He communicates and run with it.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Does polygame violate the 7th commandment? [Re: scott] #100349
06/30/08 04:58 AM
06/30/08 04:58 AM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
 Originally Posted By: scott
Very well said, Tom!

Not much I can add other than I would like to explore the idea that the law is a reflection of our love for sin rather than a reflection of God's character.

Both in the law and the punishment is reflected the hardness of our hearts rather than God's ideal or His character. It is like God saw a path to work though the ignorance and violence of sin and that path included violence because we were so violent that there was no other way to lead us without violating our free will.

scott

I had about decided to let this topic slide...but seeing this post, Scott, I am compelled to respond.

You and Tom are straying from the truth. You may not see it, but by little and by little, truth can become falsehood. I see that happening here.

I _HIGHLY RECOMMEND_ that you learn another language, and begin reading the Bible "again for the first time," seeing things from perspectives you've never been exposed to before. In this case, I would like to say that, as you, I was brought up to view the whole Ten Commandments as a bunch of "dos and don'ts."

When I was studying in Spain, and learning a whole new set of verb conjugations (Spanish has some similarities to the Biblical languages), I chanced to read the Ten Commandments one day in Spanish. Our teachers had informed us that there are about five Bible versions in Spanish, and they were translated from the original languages by Spanish scholars well versed in the Greek and Hebrew. I mention this because there are quite a number of other Bibles, including Thai and Chinese, which were heavily dependent upon their English equivalents (e.g. NIV) during translation; whereas Spanish was not a second-hand translation.

Now, the Spanish Bible I was reading was one of the older versions, and still carried the now-obsolete future subjunctive verb tense. Future subjunctive basically means the verb is looking toward a future fulfillment. For example, "If I were rich, I would...." The "were" is an example of the subjunctive tense in English--but in English this only conveys wishful thinking. The future subjunctive in Spanish has more certainty in its tone.

Imagine my surprise, and wonderment, to see that each of the Ten Commandments were given in this Spanish verb tense! In other words, the command is NOT saying "You must not bow down to idols." It is saying instead, "You will not (in the future) bow down to idols." It is true that the "shall" in Old English carried with it a very similar meaning as what I read in Spanish. But the sheer repetition of having heard these commands in a very negative way while growing up had dulled my senses to the true beauty of them which God had intended. Reading the Bible in another language often removes this barrier of preconception.

I have never since looked upon these laws of God as a bunch of don'ts. They are, instead, promises to us that God will help us not to do those things which separate us from Him.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

We can receive of heaven's light only as we are willing to be emptied of self. We can discern the character of God, and accept Christ by faith, only as we consent to the bringing into captivity of every thought to the obedience of Christ. And to all who do this, the Holy Spirit is given without measure. In Christ "dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. And ye are complete in Him." [Colossians 2:9, 10.] {GW 57.1} -- Ellen White.
Re: Does polygame violate the 7th commandment? [Re: Tom] #100350
06/30/08 05:00 AM
06/30/08 05:00 AM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
There was no way to prevent sin permanently than by not preventing it temporarily. If God had taken actions to prevent sin temporarily, that would have involved bringing it to an end at a time when His actions would have been misinterpreted as agreeing with what the enemy was accusing Him of, which would have just made things worse. The only way for God to be seen as different than Satan was to let things play out, and even so God has been widely misunderstood, His attributes being mistaken for Satan's on a wide scale.

Agreed.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

We can receive of heaven's light only as we are willing to be emptied of self. We can discern the character of God, and accept Christ by faith, only as we consent to the bringing into captivity of every thought to the obedience of Christ. And to all who do this, the Holy Spirit is given without measure. In Christ "dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. And ye are complete in Him." [Colossians 2:9, 10.] {GW 57.1} -- Ellen White.
Re: Does polygame violate the 7th commandment? [Re: Green Cochoa] #100352
06/30/08 02:14 PM
06/30/08 02:14 PM
S
scott  Offline
Wyoming, USA
 Originally Posted By: Green Cochoa
 Originally Posted By: scott
Very well said, Tom!

scott

I had about decided to let this topic slide...but seeing this post, Scott, I am compelled to respond.

You and Tom are straying from the truth. You may not see it, but by little and by little, truth can become falsehood. I see that happening here.

Hi GC,

Since you bolded my statement “Both in the law and the punishment is reflected the hardness of our hearts rather than God's ideal or His character.” I’m assuming that you don’t agree and therefore I must have rejected the Bible in order come to that conclusion.

Please let me explain. Paul says that the law is our schoolmaster to lead us to Christ. It is like a mirror that reflects our sin. The law is a transcript of God’s character, but remember that the angels before the fall didn’t even know there was a law. My point is that the law was written to expose sin. Paul puts it this way in Roman 3:

Quote:
19Now we know that whatever the law says, it says to those who are under the law, so that every mouth may be silenced and the whole world held accountable to God. 20Therefore no one will be declared righteous in his sight by observing the law; rather, through the law we become conscious of sin.

So the law makes us conscious of sin because it is the standard of righteousness. So when we look at the law we become convicted of our unrighteousness.

Note that the law is given in different forms to different people depending on their maturity. The angels were mature and didn’t know there was a law, but Israel, after 400 years of slavery, needed to be told how to handle their dung. So the law is expressed differently to different people depending on how it applies to their needs. The principles never change, but the expression changes according to the maturity level of those hearing it.

An example would be the fence you put around your yard to protect your 4 year old. The principle was to protect him so why isn’t the fence necessary when the child becomes an adult? The law for the child would be, “Don’t go outside the fence”, but the law for the adult child would be, “Take care of yourself and be safe.”

Therefore God gives us the law in the expression we need. The law, therefore, expresses our maturity level and not God’s.

I hope I didn’t muddy the water.

scott

Re: Does polygame violate the 7th commandment? [Re: scott] #100357
06/30/08 03:16 PM
06/30/08 03:16 PM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
GC, I know quite a few languages, and agree with your point that reading things in other languages can help open one's perspective (Scott knows Hebrew, btw). As you shared an example with me, I'll share one with you.

In Gen. where it says that the earth is cursed for your sake, in English it's not clear whether God is saying "the earth is cursed" or if He's saying "cursed by the earth!" whereas this ambiguity is cleared up in other languages.

I also agree with your point about the law.

Quote:
The ten holy precepts spoken by Christ upon Sinai's mount were the revelation of the character of God, and made known to the world the fact that He had jurisdiction over the whole human heritage. That law of ten precepts of the greatest love that can be presented to man is the voice of God from heaven speaking to the soul in promise. "This do, and you will not come under the dominion and control of Satan." There is not a negative in that law, although it may appear thus. It is DO, and Live. . . . The Lord has given His holy commandments to be a wall of protection around His created beings. (Sons and Daughters 53)

Re: Does polygame violate the 7th commandment? [Re: Tom] #100359
06/30/08 03:47 PM
06/30/08 03:47 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
 Quote:
The truths which Christ presented were the same that had been taught by the prophets, but they had become obscured through hardness of heart and love of sin. {MB 55.2}

I wish to comment on this, as this is the same point I've been trying to make, expressed from a different angle.

Christ was the greatest teacher the world has ever known. It's true that He was presenting the same principles as we find in the law of Moses, but when we look at the law of Moses, we, because of our hardness of heart and love of sin, get things wrong. This goes along with Scott's point. So God, in His mercy, has given us a teacher so clear that it's much more difficult to get it wrong.

So the problem is not with the law of Moses, but with us. We can read the law of Moses, and come up with ideas like it's God's will to kill our enemies, stone Sabbath-breakers, have slaves, have multiple wives, and cut off women's hands. No one studying Christ's life and teachings would come up with ideas like this.

So how do we fix our dull understanding and hardness of heart? How can we be healed from our sin? By beholding God in Jesus Christ! He is the truth. What does that mean, that He is the truth? It means, if we wish to know what God is like, we have but to look at Christ.

Christ is everything man needs to know, or can know, about God. He is the fullness of God revealed bodily, which is to say, as a human being. We don't see a partial revelation of God when we look at Christ, which is to say what God is like some of the time, when He's gotten out on the right side of the bed, so to speak, but what God is like without qualification. The lovely, merciful, gracious, compassionate, gentle person we see in Jesus Christ is God Himself revealed in human flesh.

Now some read something like this and think this is being soft on sin, but in reality the opposite is true. The only way we can be healed from sin is by bathing in the grace of God. To know God is to love Him, and only by love can sin be uprooted from our hearts. Without understanding God, all we will succeed in doing is exchange more obvious sins for more subtle ones.

Tom, I am tempted to say - Amen! However, you left out a very important aspect, an important truth. It was the Son of God who told Moses to stone the Sabbath-breaker to death. And, while here in the flesh Jesus did not undermine the law of Moses. When the Jews brought the adulteress to Him and asked what should be done about it, Jesus instructed them to obey the law of Moses.

"The law specified that in punishment by stoning, the witnesses in the case should be the first to cast a stone. Now rising, and fixing His eyes upon the plotting elders, Jesus said, "He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone at her." And stooping down, He continued writing on the ground. He had not set aside the law given through Moses, nor infringed upon the authority of Rome. {DA 461.3, 4}

Re: Does polygame violate the 7th commandment? [Re: Mountain Man] #100360
06/30/08 03:50 PM
06/30/08 03:50 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Tom, from what you've posted thus far it seems pretty clear you believe Jesus "permitted" sinning in the Law of Moses. Is this true, or have I misunderstood you?

Page 28 of 55 1 2 26 27 28 29 30 54 55

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/15/24 09:27 AM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 05/06/24 12:18 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by dedication. 05/06/24 02:37 PM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:33 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:29 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:27 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by kland. 05/06/24 10:32 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!