HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,602
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 14
kland 9
Daryl 3
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (ProdigalOne, Karen Y, dedication, Kevin H, Daryl, 1 invisible), 2,913 guests, and 22 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 31 of 55 1 2 29 30 31 32 33 54 55
Re: Does polygame violate the 7th commandment? [Re: Green Cochoa] #100420
07/02/08 06:10 AM
07/02/08 06:10 AM
S
scott  Offline
Wyoming, USA
 Quote:
By GC: As MountainMan stated, during the time of Moses, the government was a Theocracy. Nowadays, if you were to cut off a woman's hand, you would be imprisoned by our non-theocratic government. You would be looked upon by society with disdain, and in so doing would besmirch the name of Christ.

God expects us to "obey them that have the rule over you." This means we are no longer expected to comply with the civil laws which Moses had commanded under the Theocracy where they are trumped with our current government's laws, for they have essentially been replaced by the laws of the authorities God has allowed to rule over us.

Hi GC,

Do we break the Sabbath when the government in authority makes a law forbidding worship on the Sabbath?

scott

Re: Does polygame violate the 7th commandment? [Re: scott] #100424
07/02/08 12:57 PM
07/02/08 12:57 PM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
 Originally Posted By: scott

Hi GC,

Do we break the Sabbath when the government in authority makes a law forbidding worship on the Sabbath?

scott

Scott,

Do we break the speed limit when we are late to the evangelistic meeting, since that is the work of God (to him that knoweth to do good, and doeth it not, to him it is sin), and there is no law in the Bible against speeding?

Green Cochoa.

We can receive of heaven's light only as we are willing to be emptied of self. We can discern the character of God, and accept Christ by faith, only as we consent to the bringing into captivity of every thought to the obedience of Christ. And to all who do this, the Holy Spirit is given without measure. In Christ "dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. And ye are complete in Him." [Colossians 2:9, 10.] {GW 57.1} -- Ellen White.
Re: Does polygame violate the 7th commandment? [Re: Green Cochoa] #100426
07/02/08 02:32 PM
07/02/08 02:32 PM
S
scott  Offline
Wyoming, USA
 Originally Posted By: Green Cochoa

Hi GC,

scott

Scott,

Do we break the speed limit when we are late to the evangelistic meeting, since that is the work of God (to him that knoweth to do good, and doeth it not, to him it is sin), and there is no law in the Bible against speeding?

Green Cochoa.

I don't! I haven't purposely broken the speed limit since 1991 when I heard Richard O'Fill preach a sermon about obedience. And since I stopped speeding my drivers license hasn't been threatened and I've found the police to be my friends. Also I reap the benefits of obedience every month when I pay my auto insurance.

You don't really speed . . . do you?

scott

Last edited by scott; 07/02/08 03:27 PM.
Re: Does polygame violate the 7th commandment? [Re: Tom] #100428
07/02/08 03:13 PM
07/02/08 03:13 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
 Originally Posted By: Tom Ewall
 Quote:
Yes, of course. The law of Moses is based on mercy. It allowed for forgiveness. I should have made this point more clear. Thank you for stating the obvious.

This is sarcastic.

I did not intend for it to be sarcastic. Please believe me. I was being totally honest.

Originally Posted By: Tom
 Quote:
Case in point: Moses was unclear what to do about the guy caught breaking the Sabbath. Should he be forgiven or stoned to death? So, he inquired of God. The Lord knew the man's heart, and He commanded Moses to stone him to death. Of course, God could have withdrawn His protection and given evil angels permission to kill him, but He chose rather to permit the Jews to do it. What does this tell us about the law and character of God?

To know God's character, we should look to Jesus Christ, not Moses. We see how God would have acted in how Jesus treated the woman caught in adultery. You wrote:

Quote:
And, while here in the flesh Jesus did not undermine the law of Moses. When the Jews brought the adulteress to Him and asked what should be done about it, Jesus instructed them to obey the law of Moses.

So we have:
1.Jesus did not undermine the law of Moses.
2.Jesus' instruction was that the law of Moses should be obeyed.
3.The woman was not stoned.

So there's your answer.

You wrote, "To know God's character, we should look to Jesus Christ, not Moses." In this case, Moses looked to Jesus for answers. What did Jesus tell him to do? Here's what it says in the Bible:

Numbers
15:35 And the LORD said unto Moses, The man shall be surely put to death: all the congregation shall stone him with stones without the camp.
15:36 And all the congregation brought him without the camp, and stoned him with stones, and he died; as the LORD commanded Moses.

Tom, are you suggesting Moses made a mistake in obeying the commandment of God?

Re: Does polygame violate the 7th commandment? [Re: Mountain Man] #100431
07/02/08 03:36 PM
07/02/08 03:36 PM
S
scott  Offline
Wyoming, USA
I would never, even if God told me to, pick up a rock, join a mob, and stone a scared cornered sinner. Not to mention his whole family!!!!

Can you really see Jesus acting that way?

Wow!

Can't you see how barbaric this is and that the only reason it is mentioned in the Bible is because it reflects the reality of how deteriorated man's conscience had become.

Let me ask you this question:

Had the Father commanded Jesus to call fire down from heaven to punish those cities who scorned His disciples do you think Jesus would have killed them? Or would Jesus have questioned whose voice He was hearing?

scott

Re: Does polygame violate the 7th commandment? [Re: Tom] #100432
07/02/08 03:51 PM
07/02/08 03:51 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
 Quote:
Timing is everything, as they say. The law of Moses outlined very specific punishments for specific crimes. They were administered under a Theocracy. Nowadays, we are no longer a Theocracy, right? So, things have changed. I do not pretend to understand everything God outlined in the law of Moses. At times I am tempted to think certain aspects of it were unfair. But I immediately recognize such thoughts as the voice of Satan.

Maybe you're confusing voices here.

Are you suggesting that it is Jesus who is attempting to speak to my heart, to help me understand that certain aspects of the law of Moses represent the will of Satan?

Quote:
I am convinced that the law of Moses represented God's will for the COI. I am in no way confused as to whether or not it reflects a compromise to accommodate their hard hearts and sinfulness.

You seem to be confused to an extent, because you cannot answer a simply question like why God would want women's hands to be cut off. You just say, "I don't know." That sounds like confusion.

Do you know why God commanded Moses to cut off women's hands?

Deuteronomy
25:11 When men strive together one with another, and the wife of the one draweth near for to deliver her husband out of the hand of him that smiteth him, and putteth forth her hand, and taketh him by the secrets:
25:12 Then thou shalt cut off her hand, thine eye shall not pity [her].

One could speculate Jesus commanded this punishment for this particular act in order to emphasize how important it is for men to be able to have children because Jesus would one day be born of a virgin. If women went around grabbing men and preventing them from having children then the virgin would not be born.

Quote:
Regarding Scott's question

I'll repeat it, to make the post easier to follow:

Scott's question: "Do you think that Jesus’ words, to those who caught the woman in adultery, would have been the right words in Moses’ time to someone who caught a woman in adultery?"

Quote:
Yes, of course, it would have been. Why? Because under the circumstances, where they led her into sin, Jesus would have commanded Moses to handle the case accordingly. Jesus is the same yesterday, today, and tommorow.

I agree with the "yes, of course" part, but the explanation is a bit disappointing as it appears you don't believe Jesus responded the way He did because of His character, but because of special circumstances. You seem to take this same stance in general, that a thing is not a sin because it violates the law in general, or is wrong in general, but whether a thing is right or not depends upon the circumstances. E.g., polygamy is a "sin," it is "contrary to the will of God," a "violation of the law," "not sanctioned by God in a single instance," yet you see it as being not necessarily a sin, depending on the circumstances. You appear to take this same position in other contexts, so I commend you on being consistent.

Yes, of course, God handles each case individually. He is no respecter of persons. Only God knows the secret motives, therefore, only He can judge people impartially. Behaviors may seem the same to us on the surface, but God digs deeper and understands the differences. God gave Moses certain rites to help him determine guilt. Note the following example:

Quote:
Leviticus
5:11 And the LORD spake unto Moses, saying,
5:12 Speak unto the children of Israel, and say unto them, If any man's wife go aside, and commit a trespass against him,
5:13 And a man lie with her carnally, and it be hid from the eyes of her husband, and be kept close, and she be defiled, and [there be] no witness against her, neither she be taken [with the manner];
5:14 And the spirit of jealousy come upon him, and he be jealous of his wife, and she be defiled: or if the spirit of jealousy come upon him, and he be jealous of his wife, and she be not defiled:
5:15 Then shall the man bring his wife unto the priest, and he shall bring her offering for her, the tenth [part] of an ephah of barley meal; he shall pour no oil upon it, nor put frankincense thereon; for it [is] an offering of jealousy, an offering of memorial, bringing iniquity to remembrance.
5:16 And the priest shall bring her near, and set her before the LORD:
5:17 And the priest shall take holy water in an earthen vessel; and of the dust that is in the floor of the tabernacle the priest shall take, and put [it] into the water:
5:18 And the priest shall set the woman before the LORD, and uncover the woman's head, and put the offering of memorial in her hands, which [is] the jealousy offering: and the priest shall have in his hand the bitter water that causeth the curse:
5:19 And the priest shall charge her by an oath, and say unto the woman, If no man have lain with thee, and if thou hast not gone aside to uncleanness [with another] instead of thy husband, be thou free from this bitter water that causeth the curse:
5:20 But if thou hast gone aside [to another] instead of thy husband, and if thou be defiled, and some man have lain with thee beside thine husband:
5:21 Then the priest shall charge the woman with an oath of cursing, and the priest shall say unto the woman, The LORD make thee a curse and an oath among thy people, when the LORD doth make thy thigh to rot, and thy belly to swell;
5:22 And this water that causeth the curse shall go into thy bowels, to make [thy] belly to swell, and [thy] thigh to rot: And the woman shall say, Amen, amen.
5:23 And the priest shall write these curses in a book, and he shall blot [them] out with the bitter water:
5:24 And he shall cause the woman to drink the bitter water that causeth the curse: and the water that causeth the curse shall enter into her, [and become] bitter.
5:25 Then the priest shall take the jealousy offering out of the woman's hand, and shall wave the offering before the LORD, and offer it upon the altar:
5:26 And the priest shall take an handful of the offering, [even] the memorial thereof, and burn [it] upon the altar, and afterward shall cause the woman to drink the water.
5:27 And when he hath made her to drink the water, then it shall come to pass, [that], if she be defiled, and have done trespass against her husband, that the water that causeth the curse shall enter into her, [and become] bitter, and her belly shall swell, and her thigh shall rot: and the woman shall be a curse among her people.
5:28 And if the woman be not defiled, but be clean; then she shall be free, and shall conceive seed.
5:29 This [is] the law of jealousies, when a wife goeth aside [to another] instead of her husband, and is defiled;
5:30 Or when the spirit of jealousy cometh upon him, and he be jealous over his wife, and shall set the woman before the LORD, and the priest shall execute upon her all this law.
5:31 Then shall the man be guiltless from iniquity, and this woman shall bear her iniquity.

The wife is made to drink the curse water. If she is innocent nothing happens. But if she is guilty - "The LORD make thee a curse and an oath among thy people, when the LORD doth make thy thigh to rot, and thy belly to swell; and this water that causeth the curse shall go into thy bowels, to make thy belly to swell, and thy thigh to rot: And the woman shall say, Amen, amen." "Then shall the man be guiltless from iniquity, and this woman shall bear her iniquity." Do you think the Devil is the one who made her sick if she was guilty?

Do you see exceptions as being possible for any violation of the law? Is it limited to polygamy and killing? Or are their circumstances when lying and stealing, for example, might not be sin?

Again, polygamy and capital punishment do not violate the law of God when administered in harmony with the law of Moses. I don't know about lying and stealing. Ananias and Sapphira didn't make out so well when they lied and stole.

Re: Does polygame violate the 7th commandment? [Re: Tom] #100434
07/02/08 04:11 PM
07/02/08 04:11 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
 Quote:
That's not how the Bible describes the "strange acts" performed by God. Please show me in Bible where it says such a thing.

Ok. Here's an example:

Quote:
And the people spake against God, and against Moses, Wherefore have ye brought us up out of Egypt to die in the wilderness? for there is no bread, neither is there any water; and our soul loatheth this light bread.

And the LORD sent fiery serpents among the people, and they bit the people; and much people of Israel died. (Numbers 21:5,6)

How does this example address my question? How does it support your view?

Quote:
God has never acted contrary to His law in order to accommodate hard-hearted sinners.

This is a really strange thing for you to assert, as it's meaningless for you. For example, God's law says, "That shalt not kill" (or "thou shalt not murder" if you prefer). You believe that God killed people, but it wasn't a violation of His law, because He was doing it. If someone else did it, it would have been a violation of His law, but God cannot violate His own law. So your assertion that God has never acted contrary to His law is meaningless, as, by definition, you interpret anything that God does as not being contrary to His law, regardless of what God does.

Scott and I, otoh, do believe that God has never acted contrary to His law. He has always acted like Jesus Christ.

Please cite an example of Jesus, while here in the flesh, sending fiery serpents to punish people. And, while you are at it, please post an example of Jesus withdrawing His protection and allowing evil angels to kill people. Thank you. By the way, am I correct in assuming you believe God does these kinds of things?

Regarding your question on polygamy, my answer is that polygamy is contrary to God's will, was never sanctioned by Him in a single instance, and is a violation of His law.

Yes, I know you believe this, but my question doesn't have anything to do with this. I am specifically interested in learning what you believe about the law of Moses which makes provisions for a man to have more than one wife. Is he guilty of sinning if he acts in harmony with the law of Moses and takes more than one wife? Do you understand my question? If not, I will attempt to state it in a way you can understand. Thank you. Please believe me, I am not being facetious or sarcastic.

Re: Does polygame violate the 7th commandment? [Re: scott] #100435
07/02/08 04:32 PM
07/02/08 04:32 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Hi MM,

If Jesus fulfilled the law of Moses when He didn’t stone the adulteress then would you say that anyone at anytime could have fulfilled the law of Moses without killing those who broke it?

The law of Moses specified that the person who caught the guilty pair committing adultery was required to cast the first stone. Jesus would have disobeyed the law of Moses had He cast the first stone. He wasn't setting aside the law of Moses. Instead, He told them to obey the law of Moses. They chose not to. Regarding your question - No, people were not at liberty to disregard the law of Moses. They were required to obey it. Of course, Roman law forbade Jews executing capital punishment.

If Jesus commanded Moses to stone the Sabbath breakers in the OT, but in the NT he told them that they could only stone them if they had no sin in their lives would it be a ok to suggest that those meeting out the punishments in the OT also could have turned and walked away feeling that the sin in their lives was too great to meet judgment and punishment on others? Jesus is, after all, the same yesterday, today, and tomorrow!

Jesus wasn't modifying the law of Moses when He said, "He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone at her." The law of Moses didn't require people to be sinless to participate in executing capital punishment. Besides, repentance results in pardon making people sinless in the eyes of God.

Re: Does polygame violate the 7th commandment? [Re: scott] #100436
07/02/08 04:44 PM
07/02/08 04:44 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
 Quote:
Numbers
15:35 And the LORD said unto Moses, The man shall be surely put to death: all the congregation shall stone him with stones without the camp.
15:36 And all the congregation brought him without the camp, and stoned him with stones, and he died; as the LORD commanded Moses.

MM: Tom, are you suggesting Moses made a mistake in obeying the commandment of God?

I would never, even if God told me to, pick up a rock, join a mob, and stone a scared cornered sinner. Not to mention his whole family!!!! Can you really see Jesus acting that way? Wow!

Can't you see how barbaric this is and that the only reason it is mentioned in the Bible is because it reflects the reality of how deteriorated man's conscience had become.

What do you mean? Are you suggesting Jesus commanded Moses to stone the guy to death because the Jews' conscience was deteriorated? If so, then doesn't this imply Jesus compromised to accommodate sin? Why didn't He take the opportunity to command Moses not to kill the guy? By the way, where does it say his family was stoned, too?

Let me ask you this question: Had the Father commanded Jesus to call fire down from heaven to punish those cities who scorned His disciples do you think Jesus would have killed them? Or would Jesus have questioned whose voice He was hearing?

Jesus would have obeyed the voice of His Father. He was never confused about His Father's voice. Why do you ask?

Re: Does polygame violate the 7th commandment? [Re: Mountain Man] #100437
07/02/08 04:46 PM
07/02/08 04:46 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
 Originally Posted By: Mountain Man
Hi MM,

You seem to think that actions are not bad or good, but it is who does them that make them bad or good. If I do them they are bad, but if God does them they are good. I always thought that a tree was judged good or bad by its fruit. What is the point of the law telling us of bad behavior if we can't trust that God would never do those things?

Is sin only relative to motive or can we commit sin unknowingly or even with a good motive?

An example would be the priests who tortured and killed the martyrs. Some of them really believe they were called by God to save the souls of the heretics.

Yes, Scott, I believe God can do things that would be sinful for us to do. For example, God can command holy angels to punish and destroy impenitent sinners, but it would be a sin for us to do something similar (unless, of course, we are Moses, who obeyed God's command to stone the Sabbath-breaker to death).

GC 614
A single angel destroyed all the first-born of the Egyptians and filled the land with mourning. When David offended against God by numbering the people, one angel caused that terrible destruction by which his sin was punished. The same destructive power exercised by holy angels when God commands, will be exercised by evil angels when He permits. There are forces now ready, and only waiting the divine permission, to spread desolation everywhere. {GC 614.2}

Page 31 of 55 1 2 29 30 31 32 33 54 55

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 04/28/24 11:09 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 04/21/24 06:41 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by ProdigalOne. 04/29/24 04:47 PM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 04/29/24 09:07 AM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by dedication. 04/01/24 07:48 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!