HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,617
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 21
kland 9
Daryl 4
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (dedication, Karen Y, Kevin H, Daryl, 2 invisible), 3,325 guests, and 23 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 6 of 27 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 26 27
Re: Can the Law save us? [Re: Tom] #100778
07/10/08 04:25 PM
07/10/08 04:25 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
TE: I think you missed the point!

MM: And I think you are missing an important point. The security of unfallen beings rested upon the honor and integrity of the law of God. Without it they are doomed. Satan's accusations are laid against the law of God. His beef with God is His insistence it be obeyed. Here's how she explains it:

Quote:
God could employ only such means as were consistent with truth and righteousness. Satan could use what God could not--flattery and deceit. He had sought to falsify the word of God and had misrepresented His plan of government, claiming that God was not just in imposing laws upon the angels; that in requiring submission and obedience from His creatures, He was seeking merely the exaltation of Himself. It was therefore necessary to demonstrate before the inhabitants of heaven, and of all the worlds, that God's government is just, His law perfect. Satan had made it appear that he himself was seeking to promote the good of the universe. The true character of the usurper and his real object must be understood by all. He must have time to manifest himself by his wicked works. {PP 42.1}

The discord which his own course had caused in heaven, Satan charged upon the government of God. All evil he declared to be the result of the divine administration. He claimed that it was his own object to improve upon the statutes of Jehovah. Therefore God permitted him to demonstrate the nature of his claims, to show the working out of his proposed changes in the divine law. His own work must condemn him. Satan had claimed from the first that he was not in rebellion. The whole universe must see the deceiver unmasked. {PP 42.2}

Even when he was cast out of heaven. Infinite Wisdom did not destroy Satan. Since only the service of love can be acceptable to God, the allegiance of His creatures must rest upon a conviction of His justice and benevolence. The inhabitants of heaven and of the worlds, being unprepared to comprehend the nature or consequences of sin, could not then have seen the justice of God in the destruction of Satan. Had he been immediately blotted out of existence, some would have served God from fear rather than from love. The influence of the deceiver would not have been fully destroyed, nor would the spirit of rebellion have been utterly eradicated. For the good of the entire universe through ceaseless ages, he must more fully develop his principles, that his charges against the divine government might be seen in their true light by all created beings, and that the justice and mercy of God and the immutability of His law might be forever placed beyond all question. {PP 42.3}

God could employ only such means as were consistent with truth and righteousness. Satan could use what God could not--flattery and deceit. He had sought to falsify the word of God and had misrepresented His plan of government, claiming that God was not just in imposing laws upon the angels; that in requiring submission and obedience from His creatures, He was seeking merely the exaltation of Himself. It was therefore necessary to demonstrate before the inhabitants of heaven, and of all the worlds, that God's government is just, His law perfect. Satan had made it appear that he himself was seeking to promote the good of the universe. The true character of the usurper and his real object must be understood by all. He must have time to manifest himself by his wicked works. {PP 42.1}
The discord which his own course had caused in heaven, Satan charged upon the government of God. All evil he declared to be the result of the divine administration. He claimed that it was his own object to improve upon the statutes of Jehovah. Therefore God permitted him to demonstrate the nature of his claims, to show the working out of his proposed changes in the divine law. His own work must condemn him. Satan had claimed from the first that he was not in rebellion. The whole universe must see the deceiver unmasked. {PP 42.2}
Even when he was cast out of heaven. Infinite Wisdom did not destroy Satan. Since only the service of love can be acceptable to God, the allegiance of His creatures must rest upon a conviction of His justice and benevolence. The inhabitants of heaven and of the worlds, being unprepared to comprehend the nature or consequences of sin, could not then have seen the justice of God in the destruction of Satan. Had he been immediately blotted out of existence, some would have served God from fear rather than from love. The influence of the deceiver would not have been fully destroyed, nor would the spirit of rebellion have been utterly eradicated. For the good of the entire universe through ceaseless ages, he must more fully develop his principles, that his charges against the divine government might be seen in their true light by all created beings, and that the justice and mercy of God and the immutability of His law might be forever placed beyond all question. {PP 42.3}

The act of Christ in dying for the salvation of man would not only make heaven accessible to men, but before all the universe it would justify God and His Son in their dealing with the rebellion of Satan. It would establish the perpetuity of the law of God and would reveal the nature and the results of sin. {PP 68.2}

From the first the great controversy had been upon the law of God. Satan had sought to prove that God was unjust, that His law was faulty, and that the good of the universe required it to be changed. In attacking the law he aimed to overthrow the authority of its Author. In the controversy it was to be shown whether the divine statutes were defective and subject to change, or perfect and immutable. {PP 69.1}

If the law could be changed, man might have been saved without the sacrifice of Christ; but the fact that it was necessary for Christ to give His life for the fallen race, proves that the law of God will not release the sinner from its claims upon him. It is demonstrated that the wages of sin is death. When Christ died, the destruction of Satan was made certain. But if the law was abolished at the cross, as many claim, then the agony and death of God's dear Son were endured only to give to Satan just what he asked; then the prince of evil triumphed, his charges against the divine government were sustained. The very fact that Christ bore the penalty of man's transgression is a mighty argument to all created intelligences that the law is changeless; that God is righteous, merciful, and self-denying; and that infinite justice and mercy unite in the administration of His government. {PP 70.1}

The holy inhabitants of other worlds were watching with the deepest interest the events taking place on the earth. In the condition of the world that existed before the Flood they saw illustrated the results of the administration which Lucifer had
endeavored to establish in heaven, in rejecting the authority of Christ and casting aside the law of God. In those high-handed sinners of the antediluvian world they saw the subjects over whom Satan held sway. The thoughts of men's hearts were only evil continually. Genesis 6:5. Every emotion, every impulse and imagination, was at war with the divine principles of purity and peace and love. It was an example of the awful depravity resulting from Satan's policy to remove from God's creatures the restraint of His holy law. {PP 78.4}

By the facts unfolded in the progress of the great controversy, God will demonstrate the principles of His rules of government, which have been falsified by Satan and by all whom he has deceived. His justice will finally be acknowledged by the whole world, though the acknowledgment will be made too late to save the rebellious. God carries with Him the sympathy and approval of the whole universe as step by step His great plan advances to its complete fulfillment. He will carry it with Him in the final eradication of rebellion. It will be seen that all who have forsaken the divine precepts have placed themselves on the side of Satan, in warfare against Christ. When the prince of this world shall be judged, and all who have united with him shall share his fate, the whole universe as witnesses to the sentence will declare, "Just and true are Thy ways, Thou King of saints." Revelation 15:3. {PP 79.1}

If you actually took the time to read this passage then you should be able to agree with me that the honor and integrity of the law is an important part of the GC. Jesus died on the cross to satisfy the holy and just claims of the law, namely, death must come in consequence of man's sin. In so dying Jesus preserved the honor and integrity of the law, and He thereby confirmed the love and allegiance of unfallen beings. His willingness to die to preserve the law endeared unfallen beings forever. It also gives us a second chance at eternal life. And, it gives God the legal right to pardon and save penitent sinners.

To pardon and save penitent sinners God had to act in harmony with His law. He could not disregard the just and loving demands of law and justice, as it relates to the punishment of sinners, without jeopardizing the love and allegiance of unfallen beings. To disregard the death penalty would forfeit the love and allegiance of unfallen beings. Why? Because if God is willing to ignore the law for one reason what is to stop Him from doing it for any reason? Such a state would be unsettling, to say the least. Thus, Jesus died in our place, which satisfies the death penalty and preserves the honor and integrity of the law. So far, so good. Now, the rest of the issues involved in the GC must be settled.

Re: Can the Law save us? [Re: Mountain Man] #100779
07/10/08 04:40 PM
07/10/08 04:40 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
MM, you were disputing that the angels were made secure by the cross. So I presented this passage to demonstrate to you that they were. Please acknowledge this, and then we can consider whatever other things you want to look at.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Can the Law save us? [Re: Tom] #100780
07/10/08 04:41 PM
07/10/08 04:41 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
If you actually took the time to read this passage

Btw, this is sarcastic too.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Can the Law save us? [Re: Tom] #100816
07/11/08 03:24 PM
07/11/08 03:24 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Tom, once again, I am sorry this sounded sarcastic to you. But please understand that neither this nor the other was posted in sarcasm. If you choose to believe I am lying because I am unwilling to admit I have sinned, then I suppose we should cease studying together. At this point, I am no longer willing to study with you if you refuse to believe me, if you insist I am lying.

What is your answer? Do you believe me? Or, do you think I am lying?

PS - I will not address your posts in other threads until I have an answer here. Thank you.

Re: Can the Law save us? [Re: Mountain Man] #100830
07/11/08 07:43 PM
07/11/08 07:43 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
Tom, once again, I am sorry this sounded sarcastic to you. But please understand that neither this nor the other was posted in sarcasm. If you choose to believe I am lying because I am unwilling to admit I have sinned, then I suppose we should cease studying together. At this point, I am no longer willing to study with you if you refuse to believe me, if you insist I am lying.

What is your answer? Do you believe me? Or, do you think I am lying?

PS - I will not address your posts in other threads until I have an answer here. Thank you.

I think you're an adult, and you should know what sarcasm is. I don't understand how you can think that "Thank you for not stating the obvious" is not sarcastic. Would you explain that please? In my lifetime, I've never heard that phrase used in anything other than as sarcasm.

In addition, the phrase "If you would take the time to actually read the post" has a definite sarcastic tone to it. You should be able to recognize this. Here are some better alternatives:

1.Did you take the time to read the post carefully?
2.If you had read the post carefully ...

Even better

3.It seems to me you may not have read the post carefully.

The offending words in your construction are "actually" and "took the time." I shouldn't have to explain this to you. You are a native English speaker. You have demonstrated the ability to recognize sarcasm in the posts of others. Why not your own?

Regarding your being a liar, I can't get inside your head. A lie is when you say something with the intention to deceive. I think it's more likely that you are deceiving yourself than trying to deceive me, so I would say no, I don't think you are lying.

Re: Can the Law save us? [Re: Tom] #100835
07/11/08 10:51 PM
07/11/08 10:51 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Tom, if that is the best you can do then I have no other choice than to cease studying with you. I cannot willingly place myself in a position where people critique and criticize me. Thank you for all the time and effort you've invested thus far.

Re: Can the Law save us? [Re: Mountain Man] #100838
07/11/08 11:00 PM
07/11/08 11:00 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
I cannot willingly place myself in a position where people critique and criticize me.

How is what I'm doing any different than what you are doing? Think of the things you've written to Scott. Indeed, the reason I've been pointing out these things to use is because of what you've been writing to Scott.

I haven't said anything against your motives. I've just pointed out sarcasm to you where you've used it.

Why don't you ask someone like Daryl what he thinks. Or I'll do it. The question is, "Is the phrase 'Thank you for stating the obvious' sarcastic?"

Re: Can the Law save us? [Re: Tom] #100844
07/12/08 12:07 AM
07/12/08 12:07 AM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
I posted this on different thread:

Originally Posted By: Tom Ewall
MM: Morally perfect, yes, but not necessarily mentally perfect. For example, a person may not know the truth about Sabbath-keeping. They are not mentally perfect. Mental perfection has to do with things we have to learn through Bible study and prayer. To be a part of the first resurrection they must be born again morally perfect. Moral perfection has to do with cultivated traits of character.

TE: So you don't think Rosangela's example about self-pity applies. In your opinion, she wasn't born again until she "confessed and crucified" her self pity (and still isn't, if she has any similar traits she is unaware of, and hasn't "confessed and crucified" yet. I trust Rosangela won't mind being picked on.)

I suppose you must think you are morally perfect.

I'm curious about something. A while back you said to me "Thank you for stating the obvious" which is clearly sarcastic. I asked my wife on a scale of 1 to 100 where she would rate this in terms of being sarcastic, and she said 100. I think most people would agree.

What I'm curious about is if the fact that you think you are morally perfect means you think you are unable to say something sarcastic? Therefore anything you say must not be sarcastic, regardless of how sarcastic it sounds?

MM: Yes, I am morally perfect, and I haven’t sinned in 20 years. Is that what you want me to say? Would that make you happy? Come on, Tom, you’re way off base here. You’re making this way too personal. Do you really want to study this way? I don’t. I’d rather study it using the third person as case in point. It's safer, don't you think?

Here’s the context of the "Thank you for stating the obvious" post:

Quote:
MM: Tom, I am tempted to say - Amen! However, you left out a very important aspect, an important truth. It was the Son of God who told Moses to stone the Sabbath-breaker to death. And, while here in the flesh Jesus did not undermine the law of Moses. When the Jews brought the adulteress to Him and asked what should be done about it, Jesus instructed them to obey the law of Moses.

TE: Then it's clear that the law of Moses can be kept without stoning anyone!

MM: Yes, of course. The law of Moses is based on mercy. It allowed for forgiveness. I should have made this point more clear. Thank you for stating the obvious. Case in point: Moses was unclear what to do about the guy caught breaking the Sabbath. Should he be forgiven or stoned to death? So, he inquired of God. The Lord knew the man's heart, and He commanded Moses to stone him to death. Of course, God could have withdrawn His protection and given evil angels permission to kill him, but He chose rather to permit the Jews to do it. What does this tell us about the law and character of God?

Please note the context: “Yes, of course. The law of Moses is based on mercy. It allowed for forgiveness. I should have made this point more clear. Thank you for stating the obvious.” I admitted to leaving out the obvious and thanked you for stating it. And I was honest and sincere about it.

I realize this phrase can be used sarcastically, and I’m sorry if it offended you, but I was not being sarcastic when I wrote it. If you had seen and heard me say it, I’m sure it would not have looked or sounded sarcastic to you. My wife agrees with me, and wished me to convey these thoughts to you on her behalf.

Just out of curiosity I Googled this expression online and found quite a few people using it in the positive sense. For example, in certain discussion groups people are often hesitant to state the obvious. They’re afraid of sounding rude, or insensitive, or whatever. So, it goes unsaid. But when someone finally does state the obvious, the others are relieved, and often say, “Thank you for stating the obvious.”

Again, if you continue to insist I was being sarcastic, if you refuse to accept my explanation, if you continue to insist I am self-deceived, then I'm done studying with you. What's your pleasure?

Re: Can the Law save us? [Re: Mountain Man] #100848
07/12/08 01:10 AM
07/12/08 01:10 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
MM, I'm not insisting that you are self-deceived. I said I thought it was more likely that you were self-deceived than that you are lying. I must say, I am totally flabbergasted by your inability to see the phrase "Thank you for stating the obvious" as sarcasm. However, it is not, and was not, my intention to hurt you in any way. Whatever I have said to offend you, I apologize for.

I cannot, in honesty, say I think something is not sarcastic when it seems clear to me that it is. So what I propose is this. Let's let other people weigh on in the matter. Perhaps I'm off in my beliefs that "Thank you for stating the obvious" is sarcastic. If so, others on the forum should be willing to tell me so, and if I'm wrong about this then I'll be happy to admit my error.

I wish to repeat that I am not impugning your motives. I pointed something out to you which seemed evidently saracastic to me because you were being rather hard, it seemed to me, on Scott. I wanted you to see that you were doing the same thing you were accusing Scott of. This isn't to let Scott off, as you have every right to bring things to his attention that you find offensive. But this applies to everybody.

At any rate, do you think this is fair? If not, please propose an alternative. What is it you would like me to do?

Re: Can the Law save us? [Re: Tom] #100853
07/12/08 02:26 PM
07/12/08 02:26 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Tom, I have already admitted that the phrase is often used sarcastically - but not always. I've repeatedly told you I used it honestly and sincerely. I really was thankful you stated the obvious. Also, this has nothing to do with Scott and me. Please leave him out of it. It is not your responsibility to police the forum. Besides, you are assuming my motives or treatment of Scott is less than desirable. I can assure you my intentions were upright and honest. Do you believe me?

The problem here is that you are unwilling to believe me. You are pretty sure your assessment is accurate. And, now you want others to help you determine whether I was sarcastic or not. But the same thing applies to them - Are they willing to believe me? If you cannot believe me then I cannot study with you. What I need from you is an apology for not believing me, for assuming I am likely more self-deceived than a liar. What do you say?

Page 6 of 27 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 26 27

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 04/30/24 10:34 PM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 07:26 PM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!