HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,641
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 15
kland 6
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
Rick H
Rick H
Florida, USA
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
3 registered members (dedication, Karen Y, Kevin H), 3,435 guests, and 9 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 13 of 71 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 70 71
Re: The Covenants [Re: scott] #100442
07/02/08 05:03 PM
07/02/08 05:03 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
 Originally Posted By: scott
PP 312
Having sprinkled the altar with the blood of the offerings, Moses "took the book of the covenant, and read in the audience of the people." Thus the conditions of the covenant were solemnly repeated, and all were at liberty to choose whether or not they would comply with them. They had at the first promised to obey the voice of God; but they had since heard His law proclaimed; and its principles had been particularized, that they might know how much this covenant involved. Again the people answered with one accord, "All that the Lord hath said will we do, and be obedient." "When Moses had spoken every precept to all the people according to the law, he took the blood, . . . and sprinkled both the book and all the people, saying, This is the blood of the testament which God hath enjoined unto you." Hebrews 9:19, 20. {PP 312.2}

Hi MM,

I believe that Tom’s point is that the COI entered a covenant believing they could keep it and secure a better position with God. Even if the covenant was God’s idea, which I believe it was, it wasn’t God’s intention to offer Israel a covenant where their righteousness would gain them favor with God. His intention was to make them happy and prosperous in front of the whole world as a witness to His goodness.

They were to be God’s evangelists. They misunderstood this and believed that God wanted them to keep the law to earn salvation. So the covenant that God offered wasn’t the one they agreed to. The problem was in their mind!

MM: What do you think they were agreeing to if not to obey the laws of God?

I think they believed that God was offering them a higher position on earth than any other man. They thought God was going to cause the world to serve them, but God was asking them to serve the world! They agreed to God’s terms totally misunderstanding God’s character. Had they known God they would have know that the greatest in His kingdom is the greatest servant of all.

Had they understood this they would have bowed before God and cried, “This is impossible for us Lord! We believe, but save us from our unbelief. We don’t know how to be slaves willingly. We’ve been forced to serve for 400 years and we hate our masters. How can we serve with love in our hearts for our enemies? Save us Lord!”

I really believe that had the COI understood what God was asking them they would have declined! God would have immediately given them the New Covenant written in Jerimiah 31 because their hearts were humble and the bible would have been written much differently as far as Israel goes.

You wrote, "They were to be God’s evangelists. They misunderstood this and believed that God wanted them to keep the law to earn salvation. So the covenant that God offered wasn’t the one they agreed to. The problem was in their mind!"

What do you mean?

Re: The Covenants [Re: Mountain Man] #100452
07/02/08 06:19 PM
07/02/08 06:19 PM
S
scott  Offline
Wyoming, USA
 Originally Posted By: Mountain Man
 Originally Posted By: scott
PP 312
Having sprinkled the altar with the blood of the offerings, Moses "took the book of the covenant, and read in the audience of the people." Thus the conditions of the covenant were solemnly repeated, and all were at liberty to choose whether or not they would comply with them. They had at the first promised to obey the voice of God; but they had since heard His law proclaimed; and its principles had been particularized, that they might know how much this covenant involved. Again the people answered with one accord, "All that the Lord hath said will we do, and be obedient." "When Moses had spoken every precept to all the people according to the law, he took the blood, . . . and sprinkled both the book and all the people, saying, This is the blood of the testament which God hath enjoined unto you." Hebrews 9:19, 20. {PP 312.2}

Hi MM,

I believe that Tom’s point is that the COI entered a covenant believing they could keep it and secure a better position with God. Even if the covenant was God’s idea, which I believe it was, it wasn’t God’s intention to offer Israel a covenant where their righteousness would gain them favor with God. His intention was to make them happy and prosperous in front of the whole world as a witness to His goodness.

They were to be God’s evangelists. They misunderstood this and believed that God wanted them to keep the law to earn salvation. So the covenant that God offered wasn’t the one they agreed to. The problem was in their mind!

MM: What do you think they were agreeing to if not to obey the laws of God?

I think they believed that God was offering them a higher position on earth than any other man. They thought God was going to cause the world to serve them, but God was asking them to serve the world! They agreed to God’s terms totally misunderstanding God’s character. Had they known God they would have know that the greatest in His kingdom is the greatest servant of all.

Had they understood this they would have bowed before God and cried, “This is impossible for us Lord! We believe, but save us from our unbelief. We don’t know how to be slaves willingly. We’ve been forced to serve for 400 years and we hate our masters. How can we serve with love in our hearts for our enemies? Save us Lord!”

I really believe that had the COI understood what God was asking them they would have declined! God would have immediately given them the New Covenant written in Jerimiah 31 because their hearts were humble and the bible would have been written much differently as far as Israel goes.

You wrote, "They were to be God’s evangelists. They misunderstood this and believed that God wanted them to keep the law to earn salvation. So the covenant that God offered wasn’t the one they agreed to. The problem was in their mind!"

What do you mean?

Hi MM,
I remember ages ago working in my sister’s restaurant located in the same building as the famous Cowboy Bar in Jackson, Wyoming. We closed the restaurant at 11pm and I could get everything cleaned up by midnight. I loved to play pool so I would go at midnight and watch who was betting on the game and I’d put my quarters up on the table to challenge them.

Remember that I was sober and they were drunk. Some of these men played pool better drunk than sober, but most of the time I could beat them. Once in a while the guy I was playing would have a really good run on the balls and leave me with all of my balls left to pocket and his last ball, the 8 ball, right by a pocket. His sure win! So I’d pad my bet by saying, “I’ll bet you another $20 that you don’t get another shot this game”. He would look at the table, look at me, and shake my hand thinking that I’m either a pool pro or that I’m crazy. I’d simple hit the 8 ball in the pocket and loose the game, but win the $20 bet. The game was over and he didn’t get another shot. I seldom got paid, but almost got in a few fights.

My point is that my opponent was betting on something that I wasn’t offering. He just thought he knew what I was proposing. Its not that God deceived the COI, but they deceived themselves believing what they wanted to believe! God wanted to make them servants to the world to introduce the lost to salvation, but they wanted God to use His power to make them kings and rulers over people.

May I suggest you read a book by Greg Boyd called “The Myth of a Christian Nation”? Greg lays out very well the difference between using our authority to rule over others rather than to lift them up through humble service. These principles are the difference between the Beast system and God’s Kingdom.

scott

Re: The Covenants [Re: scott] #100463
07/02/08 08:59 PM
07/02/08 08:59 PM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
The game was over and he didn’t get another shot. I seldom got paid, but almost got in a few fights.

Lol. You say you "seldom" get paid. Did you ever get paid?

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: The Covenants [Re: Tom] #100464
07/02/08 09:00 PM
07/02/08 09:00 PM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
So the covenant that God offered wasn’t the one they agreed to. The problem was in their mind!"

I agree completely with this.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: The Covenants [Re: Tom] #100467
07/02/08 09:23 PM
07/02/08 09:23 PM
S
scott  Offline
Wyoming, USA
 Originally Posted By: Tom Ewall
 Quote:
The game was over and he didn’t get another shot. I seldom got paid, but almost got in a few fights.

Lol. You say you "seldom" get paid. Did you ever get paid?

There are a few good sports out there!

{:> )>

Re: The Covenants [Re: Mountain Man] #100520
07/04/08 03:08 PM
07/04/08 03:08 PM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
Do you disagree with anything I've posted on this thread?

Did you have something specific in mind? I went back an looked, and so you presented, with no comment, an inspired quote, so of course I don't disagree with that. And I see this statement that I just commented that I agree with. And I see you asked a question. That's it. So I didn't see anything in a quick glance that I would disagree with. However, I didn't go back and read every post in this thread.

Now there's another thread on the Covenants going on, and I've commented on that thread things I disagree with regarding your view of things.

My view is close to Rosangela's. We agree on the following points:

a)God originally presented to the Israelites the same covenant He made with Abraham.
b)That covenant would have been sufficient for all their needs, being based on justification by faith and having the law written in the heart.
c)They rejected that covenant.
d)God entered into a different covenant with Israel, based on different principles, which had the law written on tablets of stone as opposed to being written on the heart.

IIRC, you disagree with these ideas. For example, as I recall, you believe the Old Covenant is still in force, and you see nothing wrong with it.

Re: The Covenants [Re: Tom] #100526
07/04/08 03:29 PM
07/04/08 03:29 PM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
Tom,

Most people have focused in on the wrong point with these statements in Paul. I would like to give this challenge:

Prove your view regarding the two covenants without Paul.

Just as many lean on Ellen White for doctrinal points, many others adhere only to Paul. I believe that the Bible was written in such a manner as to have balance ONLY when taken in concert, without too much leaning toward one particular viewpoint or another. Paul was off balance. For that matter, so were other authors. Jesus only would have been "perfect," yet He wrote none of the books Himself.

There is one book in the New Testament which puts balance to Paul. We can be very thankful for that little book! If it were not for James, I should be lost in confusion right now myself. I do not say Paul was wrong; simply that he did not present the complete picture. He could only present that which was strongest in his own mind.

I disagree with the idea that Paul needs James for balance. Here is a comment by Waggoner:

Quote:
Paul and James. Here is where nearly everybody quotes the words of James, "Was not Abraham our father justified by works, when he had offered Isaac his son upon the altar?" James 2:21. Unfortunately this text is usually quoted as a disparagement of the words of Paul. It seems to be taken for granted that there is a contradiction between Paul and James; and sympathy naturally leans to James, because people like to believe that there is some merit in their own works, and they imagine that this is what James teaches. Indeed, there are some who hold that James wrote for the purpose of correcting Paul's "extreme views" of justification by faith.

We may well throw all such foolish and wicked ideas to the winds. No one need hope to come to an understanding of the Scriptures until he approaches them with the settled conviction that "all Scripture is given by inspiration of God." The Holy Spirit does not at one time inspire words which must later on be corrected.

Faith Working. The trouble with those who thus read the words of James is that they suppose that the apostle says that Abraham was justified by his own works of faith. "Seest thou how faith wrought?" That is ever the mark of living faith, as the apostle is showing. And that is just the statement of the apostle Paul. The last verse of the third chapter of Romans tells us that by faith we establish the law.

Moreover, the very term "justification" shows that faith performs the requirement of the law. Faith makes a man a doer of the law, for that is the meaning of the term "justification by faith." So in James we read that the works of Abraham simply showed the perfection of his faith. "And the Scripture was fulfilled which saith, Abraham believed God, and it was imputed unto him for righteousness." The apostle James, therefore, teaches the same kind of justification that Paul does. If he did not, one or the other or both of them would be discredited as apostles. Justification by faith which works is the only kind of justification known in the Bible.

I agree with Waggoner's points here.

Since this is a long quote, I'm going to end this post here, and treat your other points separately.

Re: The Covenants [Re: Tom] #100528
07/04/08 03:39 PM
07/04/08 03:39 PM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
Greetings to all,

Not having yet taken the time to read this thread from the beginning, but having just been invited to participate here, let me begin by stating my "big picture" of the covenants.

1) The covenants began from the beginning, but the first clear mention is the word given to Noah.
2) The covenant was later renewed to Abraham, to Isaac, and to Jacob (Israel).
3) Each time the covenant is reiterated, it is developed further, with some fresh addition to God's promise.
4) The covenant is renewed with the descendants of Jacob following the Exodus.
5) The covenant continues to be mentioned through the Old Testament and on into the New.
6) The words "oath", "promise", "word", "commandments", and "testimonies" are used in conjunction with God's covenant. In modern language, perhaps the best equivalent would be "Treaty." It represents a mutual promise.
7) God has always kept His side of the treaty.
8) We have failed on our side of it, and broken the covenant with God.
9) The covenant that God made in the beginning is the same covenant today. It can be summed up simply to say: Keep God's commandments, and God will bless you.
10) The covenant was made with everyone on earth, not just a select group.
11) The only difference that the "New Testament" makes with the covenant, is that it seeks an even greater fulfillment in our lives; moving from a mere "head knowledge" to a "heart knowledge," or more specifically, from belief to action.
12) We are to be a covenant-keeping people.

I would be happy to provide scriptural support to any of these points, but for the sake of brevity, I have omitted them this time until someone so requests.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

We can receive of heaven's light only as we are willing to be emptied of self. We can discern the character of God, and accept Christ by faith, only as we consent to the bringing into captivity of every thought to the obedience of Christ. And to all who do this, the Holy Spirit is given without measure. In Christ "dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. And ye are complete in Him." [Colossians 2:9, 10.] {GW 57.1} -- Ellen White.
Re: The Covenants [Re: Tom] #100532
07/04/08 03:56 PM
07/04/08 03:56 PM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
 Originally Posted By: Tom Ewall

I disagree with the idea that Paul needs James for balance. Here is a comment by Waggoner:

I don't consider Waggoner to have been fully correct in all of his ideas. It is rather unfortunate, but when the church rejected a message God had inspired him to give, he later apostatized, and rejected the truth. I agree that Waggoner had much truth to share with the church at one point, but I don't know what point in time he may have written the statement you quote, nor whether this should represent the views of everyone, or of Mrs. White at that time.

In other words, I don't agree. I believe there are four gospels for a reason. We would not get as complete a picture if there had been but one. Having four provides balance. I do not mean to say any one of them is wrong. But I do mean to say that not a one of them saw the full picture.

It's the story of the blind men and the elephant all over again. If we listen to the man who said the elephant is like a rope, because he had touched only the tail, we might think it incorrect to hear another say the elephant was like a spear, having touched the sharp tusk. The Bible authors were similarly imbalanced, while each being correct at the same time.

If you don't need James to balance Paul, blessings on you. I'm thankful for James, and I need his testimony to give me a fuller picture.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

We can receive of heaven's light only as we are willing to be emptied of self. We can discern the character of God, and accept Christ by faith, only as we consent to the bringing into captivity of every thought to the obedience of Christ. And to all who do this, the Holy Spirit is given without measure. In Christ "dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. And ye are complete in Him." [Colossians 2:9, 10.] {GW 57.1} -- Ellen White.
Re: The Covenants [Re: Tom] #100533
07/04/08 04:04 PM
07/04/08 04:04 PM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
Most people have focused in on the wrong point with these statements in Paul. I would like to give this challenge:

Prove your view regarding the two covenants without Paul.

As I explained in the previous post, I disagree with the idea that Paul was not balanced. However, people do twist Paul to say all kinds of weird things, and I've made the same challenge to others, so I accept!

From Jeremiah:

Quote:
[31] Behold, the days come, saith the LORD, that I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel, and with the house of Judah:
[32] Not according to the covenant that I made with their fathers in the day that I took them by the hand to bring them out of the land of Egypt; which my covenant they brake, although I was an husband unto them, saith the LORD:
[33] But this shall be the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel; After those days, saith the LORD, I will put my law in their inward parts, and write it in their hearts; and will be their God, and they shall be my people. (Jer. 31:31-34)

Jeremiah spoke of a "new" covenant in which the law would be written in the heart. The existence of a "new" covenant presupposes the existence of an old. What was the "new" covenant? It was simply the covenant made with Abraham, a covenant which included everything needed, including:

a)an inheritance of land, even the earth made new
b)righteousness
c)the resurrection
d)eternal life
e)Christ Himself

That Christ Himself was promised is evident from Abraham's being told "I am thy exceeding great reward." (Gen. 15:1)

That the land promised to Abraham was not the earthly Canaan is evident by Stephen:

Quote:
[3] And said unto him, Get thee out of thy country, and from thy kindred, and come into the land which I shall shew thee.
[4] Then came he out of the land of the Chaldaeans, and dwelt in Charran: and from thence, when his father was dead, he removed him into this land, wherein ye now dwell.
[5]And he gave him none inheritance in it, no, not so much as to set his foot on: yet he promised that he would give it to him for a possession, and to his seed after him, when as yet he had no child. (Acts 7)

This makes clear what it wasn't. Peter makes clear what it was:

Quote:
Nevertheless we, according to his promise, look for new heavens and a new earth, wherein dwelleth righteousness. (2 Pet. 3:13)

This makes clear that the promised land is the new earth, and that it is a land of righteousness.

So it is clear that the promise (or covenant) made to Abraham included everything that Abraham, or any other man, could want or need. Why then was a different covenant made with Israel at Sinai?

Quote:
O that there were such an heart in them, that they would fear me, and keep all my commandments always, that it might be well with them, and with their children for ever! (Deut. 5:29)

When the Lord offered them the same promises that He made to Abraham, they misunderstood God as wanting to do something in order to make themselves righteous, as opposed to receiving the righteousness of God as a free gift to be received by faith in Christ as did Abraham. They had a heart problem, which Deut 5, and Jeremiah spells out. Of course Jesus Christ spent a great deal of His ministry dealing with this heart problem.

To summarize:

a)God originally presented to the Israelites the same covenant He made with Abraham.
b)That covenant would have been sufficient for all their needs, being based on justification by faith and having the law written in the heart.
c)They rejected that covenant.
d)God entered into a different covenant with Israel, based on different principles, which had the law written on tablets of stone as opposed to being written on the heart.

Page 13 of 71 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 70 71

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/21/24 04:50 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/21/24 02:04 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 05/06/24 12:18 PM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by kland. 05/17/24 04:47 PM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:33 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:29 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:27 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by kland. 05/06/24 10:32 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!