HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,629
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 24
kland 13
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (dedication, Karen Y, Nadi, 3 invisible), 3,062 guests, and 9 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 34 of 55 1 2 32 33 34 35 36 54 55
Re: Does polygame violate the 7th commandment? [Re: Mountain Man] #100515
07/04/08 02:34 PM
07/04/08 02:34 PM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
This is what the NT teaches. Butler taught that it was only the ceremonial law, Jones and Waggoner taught that it was only the 10 Commandments, and Ellen saw it as both the ceremonial law and primarily the 10 Commandments.

But the Bible simply states that the system that was becoming obsolete because Christ had fulfilled it was the Old Covenant (all inclusive of all its parts).

I feel constrained to comment on this because it may give the impression that EGW was not in agreement with what Waggoner taught, which would be twisting EGW on her ear (is that the right expression?)

Waggoner had a logic involved in the study of Paul's use of the law in Galatians, as did Butler. Butler's study relied on the presumption that Galatians was dealing with the law in a dispensational form, that the passages in Galatians, particularly Galatians 3, were saying that the law was doing something until Christ came, and then after Christ came, it no longer is doing that thing.

Waggoner had a different point of view. His point of view was that the law does something in relation to the unconverted sinner until that person is converted. Once the person is converted, the law has done its job. If the person gets out of line, the law will come back into the picture, to convict the person of his sin, and drive the person to Christ.

In regards to one particular verse, the one about the law being a schoolmaster to lead us to Christ, EGW saw a secondary sense in which this particular verse could be applied to the ceremonial law.

Here's the EGW comments:

Quote:
"The law was our schoolmaster to bring us unto Christ, that we might be justified by faith" (Galatians 3:24). In this scripture, the Holy Spirit through the apostle is speaking especially of the moral law. The law reveals sin to us, and causes us to feel our need of Christ and to flee unto Him for pardon and peace by exercising repentance toward God and faith toward our Lord Jesus Christ.(1SM 234)

Quote:
I am asked concerning the law in Galatians. What law is the schoolmaster to bring us to Christ? I answer: Both the ceremonial and the moral code of ten commandments.

Christ was the foundation of the whole Jewish economy. The death of Abel was in consequence of Cain's refusing to accept God's plan in the school of obedience, to be saved by the blood of Jesus Christ, typified by the sacrificial offerings pointing to Christ....This is the beginning of its work as the schoolmaster to bring sinful human agents to a consideration of Christ.(6SDABC 1109)

The first statement deals how the moral law convicts us of sin. This is the point EGW made. For example:

Quote:
Outside of Christ is bondage; in Him alone is there freedom. Outside of Christ, the man is in prison, "holden with the cords of his sins." Prov.5:22. "The strength of sin is the law." It is the law that declares him to be a sinner, and makes him conscious of his condition. "By the law is the knowledge of sin;" and "sin is not imputed when there is no law." Rom.3:20; 5:13. The law really forms the sinner's prison walls. They close in on him, making him feel uncomfortable, oppressing him with a sense of sin, as though they would press his life out. In vain he makes frantic efforts to escape. ... It goads him and drives him to the only way of escape--"the promise by faith of Jesus Christ." In Christ he is made "free indeed," for in Christ he is made the righteousness of God. In Christ is "the perfect law of liberty."(The Glad Tidings)

Here Waggoner deals with the dispensation idea:

Quote:
This passage has been "interpreted" to mean that men were under the law until a certain time in the history of the world, and that at that time faith came, and then they were henceforth free from the law. The coming of faith they make synonymous with the manifestation of Christ on earth. ... (This interpretation) would make men to be saved in bulk, regardless of any concurrence on their part. It would have it that up to a certain time all were in bondage under the law, and that from that time henceforth all were free from sin. A man's salvation would, therefore, depend simply on the accident of birth. If he lived before a certain time, he would be lost; if after, he would be saved.... No one can seriously think of the idea that the apostle is here speaking of a fixed, definite point of time in the story of the world, dividing between two so-called "dispensations," without at once abandoning it.

I've had the same objection to this interpretation. For example, here's Gal. 3:24, 25:

Quote:
24 Wherefore the law was our schoolmaster to bring us unto Christ, that we might be justified by faith. 25 But after that faith is come, we are no longer under a schoolmaster.

The law served a purposed so that we could be justified by faith. If this is speaking of a specific point in time, such as the death of Christ, then before that time one could not be justified by faith.

Regarding the other EGW statement, it's worthy of note that she refers to the ceremonial system, starting at the time of Adam. This foreshadowed the death of Christ, which purpose of the law also allows us to be justified by faith, and is also not dependent upon time. We are just as free to study the sacrificial offerings and learn of Christ, by whom we may be justified by faith, as those who lived in Paul's time.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Does polygame violate the 7th commandment? [Re: Green Cochoa] #100517
07/04/08 02:43 PM
07/04/08 02:43 PM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
GC, I think you've misunderstood Scott, so I'm going to but in, and see if I can help (Scott, please correct me, if I misspeak for you).

Scott isn't saying the law itself was done away with, as if it were no longer binding, but that the revelation of the law has been surpassed by Christ. The law reveals our sin to us as a transcript of God's character. After Christ came in the flesh, we have an even clearer revelation of God's character. The law served to help us understand God's character until Christ came, who revealed it in splendor and glory. The revelation of Christ is so brilliant, it's like how Moses' face glowed, being so bright that the children of Israel had to turn away.

The whole OT was about Christ. But the COI had a veil over their heart, so they didn't see this. Instead of learning about our wonderful God through Him, being led to repentance by God's mercy, compassion, gentleness, kindness, graciousness, patience; His goodness and love revealed by Christ, they were fixated on their traditions. This veil is removed when Christ is seen. Then the OT is seen, as a whole, including the whole law, as speaking of Christ.

Regarding the covenants, I'm interested in your thoughts on a couple of things, but I'll cover this in a separate post.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Does polygame violate the 7th commandment? [Re: Tom] #100518
07/04/08 02:56 PM
07/04/08 02:56 PM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
GC, here are a couple of quotes, one from the SOP, and the other from Jeremiah:

Quote:
The terms of the "old covenant" were, Obey and live: "If a man do, he shall even live in them" (Ezekiel 20:11; Leviticus 18:5); but "cursed be he that confirmeth not all the words of this law to do them." Deuteronomy 27:26. The "new covenant" was established upon "better promises"--the promise of forgiveness of sins and of the grace of God to renew the heart and bring it into harmony with the principles of God's law. "This shall be the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel; After those days, saith the Lord, I will put my law in their inward parts, and write it in their hearts . . . . I will forgive their iniquity, and will remember their sin no more." Jeremiah 31:33, 34.

The same law that was engraved upon the tables of stone is written by the Holy Spirit upon the tables of the heart. Instead of going about to establish our own righteousness we accept the righteousness of Christ.(PP 372)

Quote:
31Behold, the days come, saith the LORD, that I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel, and with the house of Judah: 32 Not according to the covenant that I made with their fathers in the day that I took them by the hand to bring them out of the land of Egypt; which my covenant they brake, although I was an husband unto them, saith the LORD: 33 But this shall be the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel; After those days, saith the LORD, I will put my law in their inward parts, and write it in their hearts; and will be their God, and they shall be my people. (Jer. 31:31-34)

Both Jer. and EGW contrast two covenants, one called (by her) the "old" and the other the "new." Jeremiah also refers to two covenants, one which had been made, and another which would be made. In the one which would be made, the law is written in the heart. This is the one EGW calls "new." The other one is called "old."

Now these are clearly different covenants. In one covenant (the old), one seeks to establish one's own righteousness. In the other (the new), one accepts the righteousness of Christ. In one (the old), the law is written on tablets of stone. In the other (the new), the law is written in the heart.

I agree with your assertion that God has but one covenant. However, the covenant based upon man's establishing his own righteousness, where the law is not written in the heart, was not God's idea, but man's. As Scott wrote:

Quote:
So the covenant that God offered wasn’t the one they agreed to. The problem was in their mind!"

By the way, GC, we have two threads on the covenants. I think this particular thread cannot be seen by everyone, but the other one can be, so Daryl bumped the other one. If you would respond on the other thread, that would be great. Then anyone coming to this forum could see your comments (and the rest of our comments as well).

Re: Does polygame violate the 7th commandment? [Re: Tom] #100519
07/04/08 03:04 PM
07/04/08 03:04 PM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
Tom,

Most people have focused in on the wrong point with these statements in Paul. I would like to give this challenge:

Prove your view regarding the two covenants without Paul.

Just as many lean on Ellen White for doctrinal points, many others adhere only to Paul. I believe that the Bible was written in such a manner as to have balance ONLY when taken in concert, without too much leaning toward one particular viewpoint or another. Paul was off balance. For that matter, so were other authors. Jesus only would have been "perfect," yet He wrote none of the books Himself.

There is one book in the New Testament which puts balance to Paul. We can be very thankful for that little book! If it were not for James, I should be lost in confusion right now myself. I do not say Paul was wrong; simply that he did not present the complete picture. He could only present that which was strongest in his own mind.

Now, having said all that, to the Law...

1) The law was binding before Christ.
2) The law is still binding after Christ.
3) The law was nailed to the cross.

What is meant by the "law nailed to the cross?" How can it be both binding and abolished at the same time? Many people have tried to cast the law aside for one reason: Guilty conscience. They seek to allay their conscience by reasoning that the law no longer "binds" them. Such reasoning is the very essence of self-deception.

The real truth, as usual, lies somewhere in the middle. Here is the real truth. Paul was right. So was Jesus, when He said "I came not to destroy the law." How can they both be right?

They are speaking of TWO separate aspects of the law. 1) The principles/laws themselves. These were what Jesus referred to. 2) The PENALTY of the law. This is what Paul referred to.

It was Christ's death on the cross that removed from us the PENALTY of the law. It never removed the law itself. Jesus came to FULFILL the law, not to abolish or destroy it. The law demanded death for every sinner. "For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord." In that one verse you have both sides of the equation.

You cannot hope, nor expect, to have life while living in disobedience to God's law. That law proclaims death to every sinner. Adam was told that the day he ate the fruit, he would die. Jesus spoke of the Pharisees as being living dead--filled with dead men's bones. We can be physically alive, while spiritually dead. Such is the case of every sinner.

But Jesus came to give us life, and to give it more abundantly. He said "He that believes on the Son has everlasting life."

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

We can receive of heaven's light only as we are willing to be emptied of self. We can discern the character of God, and accept Christ by faith, only as we consent to the bringing into captivity of every thought to the obedience of Christ. And to all who do this, the Holy Spirit is given without measure. In Christ "dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. And ye are complete in Him." [Colossians 2:9, 10.] {GW 57.1} -- Ellen White.
Re: Does polygame violate the 7th commandment? [Re: Tom] #100521
07/04/08 03:10 PM
07/04/08 03:10 PM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
 Originally Posted By: Tom Ewall
GC, I think you've misunderstood Scott, so I'm going to but in, and see if I can help (Scott, please correct me, if I misspeak for you).

Scott isn't saying the law itself was done away with, as if it were no longer binding, but that the revelation of the law has been surpassed by Christ. The law reveals our sin to us as a transcript of God's character. After Christ came in the flesh, we have an even clearer revelation of God's character. The law served to help us understand God's character until Christ came, who revealed it in splendor and glory. The revelation of Christ is so brilliant, it's like how Moses' face glowed, being so bright that the children of Israel had to turn away.

The whole OT was about Christ. But the COI had a veil over their heart, so they didn't see this. Instead of learning about our wonderful God through Him, being led to repentance by God's mercy, compassion, gentleness, kindness, graciousness, patience; His goodness and love revealed by Christ, they were fixated on their traditions. This veil is removed when Christ is seen. Then the OT is seen, as a whole, including the whole law, as speaking of Christ.

Regarding the covenants, I'm interested in your thoughts on a couple of things, but I'll cover this in a separate post.

I agree with the thoughts you've expressed here in this post. Yes, I understood that Scott was saying the entire Old Testament was equal to the Old Covenant, and that the Old Covenant had passed away. His statements more or less said as much. I am hopeful that this simply was a misunderstanding.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

We can receive of heaven's light only as we are willing to be emptied of self. We can discern the character of God, and accept Christ by faith, only as we consent to the bringing into captivity of every thought to the obedience of Christ. And to all who do this, the Holy Spirit is given without measure. In Christ "dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. And ye are complete in Him." [Colossians 2:9, 10.] {GW 57.1} -- Ellen White.
Re: Does polygame violate the 7th commandment? [Re: Green Cochoa] #100522
07/04/08 03:14 PM
07/04/08 03:14 PM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
I didn't realize there was a topic already on the Covenants. As I suggested earlier, our discussion had diverged to a new topic which deserved its own consideration. If these posts dealing only with the covenants can be moved, that's fine with me.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

Re: Does polygame violate the 7th commandment? [Re: scott] #100524
07/04/08 03:23 PM
07/04/08 03:23 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
 Originally Posted By: scott
I would say that the only thing in the ceremonies that “were against us” was our misunderstanding of them by thinking it was our obedience to the ceremonies that secured our salvation rather than the righteousness and mercy of God…. But over all I would say that the “written code” is the whole covenant that God made with Israel that we call the Old Covenant.

MM: Do you have inspired insights to back up your assertions?

The ceremonial system was made up of symbols pointing to Christ, to His sacrifice and His priesthood. This ritual law, with its sacrifices and ordinances, was to be performed by the Hebrews until type met antitype in the death of Christ, the Lamb of God that taketh away the sin of the world. Then all the sacrificial offerings were to cease. It is this law that Christ "took . . . out of the way, nailing it to His cross." Colossians 2:14. {PP 365.1}

Many in the Christian world also have a veil before their eyes and heart. They do not see to the end of that which was done away. They do not see that it was only the ceremonial law which was abrogated at the death of Christ. They claim that the moral law was nailed to the cross. Heavy is the veil that darkens their understanding. {1SM 239.2}

Re: Does polygame violate the 7th commandment? [Re: Green Cochoa] #100527
07/04/08 03:32 PM
07/04/08 03:32 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
 Originally Posted By: Scott
MM: Are you suggesting Jesus would not have obeyed the voice of God if He were in Moses' place? In other words, if Jesus had inquired of God whether to stone the guy to death or not, would Jesus have disregarded God's command and have forgiven him instead?

S: Isn't that exactly what Jesus did? Jesus and the Father are one and Jesus never killed anyone caught in sin. Are you saying that Jesus isn't God or that God changed when He revealed His will to Jesus? Was Jesus just a PR man for God or was He God in the flesh? Is it God's way to command men to kill, but not get His hands dirty while His journey as a man?

You are saying that God insisted on Moses killing those breaking the law so why didn't God insist that the men who caught the woman in adultery kill her? Why did God in Jesus suddenly show mercy, but was exacting through Moses.

You might not realize it, but you are the one sugesting that God is fickle!

What I am suggesting is that Jesus is the one who commanded Moses to stone to death the guy caught gathering sticks on the Sabbath. Do we agree on this point? If not, then I suppose there is no reason for us to continue studying this together.

Numbers
15:32 And while the children of Israel were in the wilderness, they found a man that gathered sticks upon the sabbath day.
15:33 And they that found him gathering sticks brought him unto Moses and Aaron, and unto all the congregation.
15:34 And they put him in ward, because it was not declared what should be done to him.
15:35 And the LORD said unto Moses, The man shall be surely put to death: all the congregation shall stone him with stones without the camp.
15:36 And all the congregation brought him without the camp, and stoned him with stones, and he died; as the LORD commanded Moses.

Re: Does polygame violate the 7th commandment? [Re: scott] #100530
07/04/08 03:44 PM
07/04/08 03:44 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Galatians 3: 23Before this faith came, we were held prisoners by the law, locked up until faith should be revealed. 24So the law was put in charge to lead us to Christ that we might be justified by faith. 25Now that faith has come, we are no longer under the supervision of the law.

MM: Isn't this referring to the 10Cs? If so, then it certainly cannot mean the law is no longer useful. The law is a transcript of God's character, as such, it is immutable and eternal, right?

S: Are you saying that the text says that we no longer need the 10 Commandments since we now know Christ’s character?

Not at all. I was commenting on this passage because you posted it in the context of Jesus nailing the law to the cross. What I am suggesting is that both the law of God and the law of Moses help lead people to Jesus, to embrace Him as their personal Savior. Jesus becomes our schoolmaster, our supervisor. Once we are in Christ, He can empower us to fulfill the righteousness of the law unto the honor and glory of God our Father. In this new and better way, the law continues to serve as our guide. In Christ, the law is the standard of righteousness.

Romans
8:3 For what the law could not do, in that it was weak through the flesh, God sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh, and for sin, condemned sin in the flesh:
8:4 That the righteousness of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.

Re: Does polygame violate the 7th commandment? [Re: scott] #100531
07/04/08 03:51 PM
07/04/08 03:51 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Hebrews 8: 13By calling this covenant "new," he has made the first one obsolete; and what is obsolete and aging will soon disappear.

MM: I suppose this is referring to the ceremonial aspects of the law.

S: I find it interesting how you dissect the Old Covenant into whatever part fits your theology.

Scott, I am beginning to feel that studying with you makes me a glutton for punishment. If you cannot reign in these kinds of comments, I will be unable to continue studying with you. What do you say? Can we call a truce and get back to the business of studying the truth as it is in Jesus?

Page 34 of 55 1 2 32 33 34 35 36 54 55

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 05/06/24 12:18 PM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/05/24 05:39 AM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by dedication. 05/06/24 02:37 PM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:33 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:29 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:27 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by kland. 05/06/24 10:32 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!