HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,628
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 24
kland 13
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
ProdigalOne
ProdigalOne
Alberta, Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (dedication, Karen Y, Nadi, 3 invisible), 3,396 guests, and 10 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Is There A Difference Between Bearing False Witness And Lying? #100143
06/22/08 09:52 PM
06/22/08 09:52 PM
Daryl  Offline
OP
Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
The Ninth Commandment states the following:
 Quote:

Exodus 20:16 KJV Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbor.

Is there a difference between bearing false witness and lying, or are they one and the same thing?

In His Love, Mercy & Grace,

Daryl smile

John 8:32 And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.

http://www.christians-discuss.com/forum/index.php
Re: Is There A Difference Between Bearing False Witness And Lying? [Re: Daryl] #100180
06/25/08 05:18 PM
06/25/08 05:18 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
"Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbor." {PP 309.2}

False speaking in any matter, every attempt or purpose to deceive our neighbor, is here included. An intention to deceive is what constitutes falsehood. By a glance of the eye, a motion of the hand, an expression of the countenance, a falsehood may be told as effectually as by words. All intentional overstatement, every hint or insinuation calculated to convey an erroneous or exaggerated impression, even the statement of facts in such a manner as to mislead, is falsehood. This precept forbids every effort to injure our neighbor's reputation by misrepresentation or evil surmising, by slander or tale bearing. Even the intentional suppression of truth, by which injury may result to others, is a violation of the ninth commandment. {PP 309.3}

Why do you ask?

Re: Is There A Difference Between Bearing False Witness And Lying? [Re: Mountain Man] #100514
07/04/08 02:06 PM
07/04/08 02:06 PM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
MountainMan found some good statements there. I wonder what Mrs. White would say about God's advice to the prophet Samuel. Remember that story?

Since God does not lie (and I believe this very firmly), we have a rather difficult time understanding a situation like this.

I don't think we should always be required to reveal the truth. There are times and situations when it is not in our best interest, nor in God's best interest, to do so. This is why Jesus Himself said to His disciples "be wise as serpents, and harmless as doves."

A very good book along these lines is the one by "Brother Andrew," called "The Ethics of Smuggling" (if I've remembered it right). When you are smuggling Bibles illegally into a country where a long imprisonment or death sentence may be the reward for thus serving God, should you be required to "tell all?" It is rather obvious, here, that man's laws are in flagrant contradiction to God's laws. It is also clear that to obey God in this situation, one must intentionally deceive...or at least hide the facts and details of what he or she is doing.

I have helped to do similar things for a fellow soldier in Christ needing to enter a religiously-oppressed country (which I need not name). There are such things as "computer forensics" in these modern times, so I helped to "disaster proof" the laptop of this friend before he entered, just in case the border agents should choose to inspect it. Was this "sin" because it was deliberately "deceptive?"

We must remember that we are in a war. God's marching orders are given despite what men's commands may be. When God determines something is for the best, then we must accept that.

Here are several passages that are worth studying on this topic for the advanced Bible scholar. Each of these has its own setting and purpose. They are not all the same. Nonetheless, they are worth contemplating in light of a bigger picture.

Prophecy to a Syrian King
"And Elisha said unto him, Go, say unto him, Thou mayest certainly recover: howbeit the LORD hath showed me that he shall surely die." (2 Kings 8:10, KJV)

Prophet in Disguise:
"So the prophet departed, and waited for the king by the way, and disguised himself with ashes upon his face. And as the king passed by, he cried unto the king: and he said, Thy servant went out into the midst of the battle; and, behold, a man turned aside, and brought a man unto me, and said, Keep this man: if by any means he be missing, then shall thy life be for his life, or else thou shalt pay a talent of silver. And as thy servant was busy here and there, he was gone. And the king of Israel said unto him, So shall thy judgment be; thyself hast decided it.
And he hasted, and took the ashes away from his face; and the king of Israel discerned him that he was of the prophets. And he said unto him, Thus saith the LORD, Because thou hast let go out of thy hand a man whom I appointed to utter destruction, therefore thy life shall go for his life, and thy people for his people." (1 Kings 20:38-42, KJV)

True Prophet, False Prophecy
"And the messenger that was gone to call Micaiah spake unto him, saying, Behold now, the words of the prophets declare good unto the king with one mouth: let thy word, I pray thee, be like the word of one of them, and speak that which is good. And Micaiah said, As the LORD liveth, what the LORD saith unto me, that will I speak. So he came to the king. And the king said unto him, Micaiah, shall we go against Ramothgilead to battle, or shall we forbear? And he answered him, Go, and prosper: for the LORD shall deliver it into the hand of the king. And the king said unto him, How many times shall I adjure thee that thou tell me nothing but that which is true in the name of the LORD? And he said, I saw all Israel scattered upon the hills, as sheep that have not a shepherd: and the LORD said, These have no master: let them return every man to his house in peace. And the king of Israel said unto Jehoshaphat, Did I not tell thee that he would prophesy no good concerning me, but evil?" (1 Kings 22:13-18, KJV)

God to Samuel
And the LORD said unto Samuel, How long wilt thou mourn for Saul, seeing I have rejected him from reigning over Israel? fill thine horn with oil, and go, I will send thee to Jesse the Bethlehemite: for I have provided me a king among his sons. And Samuel said, How can I go? if Saul hear it, he will kill me. And the LORD said, Take an heifer with thee, and say, I am come to sacrifice to the LORD. And call Jesse to the sacrifice, and I will show thee what thou shalt do: and thou shalt anoint unto me him whom I name unto thee. And Samuel did that which the LORD spake, and came to Bethlehem. And the elders of the town trembled at his coming, and said, Comest thou peaceably? And he said, Peaceably: I am come to sacrifice unto the LORD: sanctify yourselves, and come with me to the sacrifice. And he sanctified Jesse and his sons, and called them to the sacrifice." (1 Samuel 16:1-5, KJV)

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

We can receive of heaven's light only as we are willing to be emptied of self. We can discern the character of God, and accept Christ by faith, only as we consent to the bringing into captivity of every thought to the obedience of Christ. And to all who do this, the Holy Spirit is given without measure. In Christ "dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. And ye are complete in Him." [Colossians 2:9, 10.] {GW 57.1} -- Ellen White.
Re: Is There A Difference Between Bearing False Witness And Lying? [Re: Green Cochoa] #100557
07/04/08 07:28 PM
07/04/08 07:28 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Yes, GC, the Bible includes stories that seem to depict God instructing people to tell half truths or lies. The one that has troubled me over the years is:

Exodus
3:18 And they shall hearken to thy voice: and thou shalt come, thou and the elders of Israel, unto the king of Egypt, and ye shall say unto him, The LORD God of the Hebrews hath met with us: and now let us go, we beseech thee, three days' journey into the wilderness, that we may sacrifice to the LORD our God.

8:25 And Pharaoh called for Moses and for Aaron, and said, Go ye, sacrifice to your God in the land.
8:26 And Moses said, It is not meet so to do; for we shall sacrifice the abomination of the Egyptians to the LORD our God: lo, shall we sacrifice the abomination of the Egyptians before their eyes, and will they not stone us?
8:27 We will go three days' journey into the wilderness, and sacrifice to the LORD our God, as he shall command us.
8:28 And Pharaoh said, I will let you go, that ye may sacrifice to the LORD your God in the wilderness; only ye shall not go very far away: entreat for me.

10:7 And Pharaoh's servants said unto him, How long shall this man be a snare unto us? let the men go, that they may serve the LORD their God: knowest thou not yet that Egypt is destroyed?
10:8 And Moses and Aaron were brought again unto Pharaoh: and he said unto them, Go, serve the LORD your God: [but] who [are] they that shall go?
10:9 And Moses said, We will go with our young and with our old, with our sons and with our daughters, with our flocks and with our herds will we go; for we [must hold] a feast unto the LORD.
10:10 And he said unto them, Let the LORD be so with you, as I will let you go, and your little ones: look [to it]; for evil [is] before you.
10:11 Not so: go now ye [that are] men, and serve the LORD; for that ye did desire. And they were driven out from Pharaoh's presence.

Did God really intend for the Jews to only worship Him for three days in the wilderness? Or, did He intend to take them to the Promised Land for ever?

Re: Is There A Difference Between Bearing False Witness And Lying? [Re: Mountain Man] #100574
07/05/08 01:18 AM
07/05/08 01:18 AM
Daryl  Offline
OP
Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
Are we, therefore, saying that it is OK to lie, but not OK to bear false witness, which in essence would also mean that there is a difference between the two?

Daryl smile

Re: Is There A Difference Between Bearing False Witness And Lying? [Re: Daryl] #100575
07/05/08 01:19 AM
07/05/08 01:19 AM
Daryl  Offline
OP
Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
By the way, I created this topic as I read something about this somewhere that prompted me to create this interesting topic.

Daryl smile

Re: Is There A Difference Between Bearing False Witness And Lying? [Re: Mountain Man] #100576
07/05/08 02:30 AM
07/05/08 02:30 AM
B
Bob Pickle  Offline
Active Member 2013
Dedicated Member
Halstad, MN
 Originally Posted By: Mountain Man
Exodus
3:18 And they shall hearken to thy voice: and thou shalt come, thou and the elders of Israel, unto the king of Egypt, and ye shall say unto him, The LORD God of the Hebrews hath met with us: and now let us go, we beseech thee, three days' journey into the wilderness, that we may sacrifice to the LORD our God.

But think about it. Moses never told Pharaoh that they were coming back, did he? And Pharaoh knew that, it would appear, which is why he wanted the women and children to stick around, or the cattle to stay behind.

Re: Is There A Difference Between Bearing False Witness And Lying? [Re: Bob Pickle] #100577
07/05/08 02:32 AM
07/05/08 02:32 AM
B
Bob Pickle  Offline
Active Member 2013
Dedicated Member
Halstad, MN
I've wondered about the story about Micaiah. Was he being sarcastic? Was that how Ahab knew he wasn't telling him the truth?

Re: Is There A Difference Between Bearing False Witness And Lying? [Re: Bob Pickle] #100587
07/05/08 05:07 PM
07/05/08 05:07 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
In my opinion lie and false witness are synonyms. And, according to the passage of PP quoted by Mike, false witness is defined as

1) false speaking
2) omission of truth by which injury may result to others

Re: Is There A Difference Between Bearing False Witness And Lying? [Re: Rosangela] #100589
07/05/08 11:40 PM
07/05/08 11:40 PM
Daryl  Offline
OP
Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
Rosangela,

That's what I had always thought, however, there are some who seem to think otherwise, which is why I created this topic.

Daryl smile

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 05/06/24 12:18 PM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/05/24 05:39 AM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by dedication. 05/06/24 02:37 PM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:33 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:29 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:27 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by kland. 05/06/24 10:32 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!