HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,631
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 24
kland 6
Daryl 2
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
5 registered members (Karen Y, Daryl, dedication, TheophilusOne, 1 invisible), 3,678 guests, and 11 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 21 of 24 1 2 19 20 21 22 23 24
Re: Lesson #10 - The Meaning of His DEATH [Re: Rosangela] #100675
07/07/08 02:42 PM
07/07/08 02:42 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
What I'm saying is that the wages of sin is the second death, not the first death, and what distinguishes the second death from the first is the agony experienced by the sinner because of the weight of his guilt.

I agree with this. I believe what causes this is the revelation of God's goodness.

The best explanation I've seen of this is by Ty Gibson in his book "See With New Eyes." I won't be able to do the idea justice, but, roughly speaking, as we see God as He is, we see ourselves as we are, which we can't bear, except in small doses. God seeks to reveal Himself to us in this lifetime, while there's still time for us to be healed from the effects of sin, which makes the revelation of Himself difficult for us.

It's not God's judgment of sin which causes this, nor his displeasure of it, but His goodness, His love (which is why DA 764 says "the glory of Him who is love" destroys the sinner). Sin destroys our ability to perceive God's goodness in a way that doesn't hurt us.

In order to be saved, we must be healed from sin, and learn to see God as He really is, so when we actually meet Him, we won't be freaked out ("freaked out" being the technical theological term for this).

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Reply Quote
Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Re: Lesson #10 - The Meaning of His DEATH [Re: Tom] #100676
07/07/08 04:50 PM
07/07/08 04:50 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
 Quote:
Regarding God's using His individual discretion, this seems to me to be a red herring to my point. Of course God used His discretion in creating man, and I've already stated this. My point is not that God did not use individual discretion in creating us, but that the fact that we have free wills and consciences is not due to God's using individual discretion in creating us, but is due to the fact that only beings with these attributes can be sentient beings who can love and be loved. Iow, all loving and loveable sentient beings have the characteristics of having free will and conscience.

Wait a minute. I’m confused. Just because a person has free will and conscience, this does not mean that he/she is a loving and loveable person. Satan has free will and conscience. And what exactly does this have to do with evil bringing bad results?

Quote:
This says, "there is no sin." If there is no sin, there is no frown of God, and no need of pardon. Indeed, without sin, there is nothing to pardon.

You are taking an isolated passage and interpreting it apart from what the Bible and Ellen White say in other passages. Why is it that when the error is brought to the attention of the person, the person must repent (Acts 17:30, Lev. 4:27, 28, etc)? Besides, if these errors are not sins, why are they called sins of ignorance?

Quote:
This kind of begs the question as to what happens to our sins after the judgment. I suppose you would say they are cast on Satan(?).

They are blotted out.

Quote:
It's interesting that when people think of God, they think of Him primarily as judge. Jesus referred to God as "Father" something like 177 times. He never referred to God as "judge," or "sovereign and ruler of the universe." This doesn't mean these things aren't true, of course. They just weren't important enough for Jesus to talk about.

How can you say He didn't talk about this? In His parables, many, many times Jesus portrayed God as a king/master - in fact, much more frequently than as a father. He also mentioned God as a judge.

Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #10 - The Meaning of His DEATH [Re: Rosangela] #100685
07/07/08 07:47 PM
07/07/08 07:47 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
Wait a minute. I’m confused. Just because a person has free will and conscience, this does not mean that he/she is a loving and lovable person.

It's the other way around. Sentient beings which love and can be loved have a free will and a conscience.

Quote:
Satan has free will and conscience. And what exactly does this have to do with evil bringing bad results?

The bad results that evil causes to sentient beings that can love and be loved involves the conscience. My point has been that the fact that evil causes bad results is not arbitrary (i.e., not because of something God decreed should be the case) but is a necessary consequence of being created with the ability to love and be loved. To love and be loved, one must have free will and a conscience. Using one's free will to do evil has bad results, in part due to having a conscience.

Quote:
This says, "there is no sin." If there is no sin, there is no frown of God, and no need of pardon. Indeed, without sin, there is nothing to pardon.

You are taking an isolated passage and interpreting it apart from what the Bible and Ellen White say in other passages.

The passage is dealing precisely with the question at hand. Ellen White, and colleagues of hers, had been, in ignorance, keeping the Sabbath incorrectly (from 6:00 PM to 6:00 PM instead of from sunset to sunset). She was worried about that. The angel explained to her that when light came, then there was the "frown of God," but that where there is no light "there is no sin."

Quote:
Why is it that when the error is brought to the attention of the person, the person must repent (Acts 17:30, Lev. 4:27, 28, etc)?

Because once a person knows one has done wrong, the relationship is damaged. As long as one is in ignorance of having done something wrong, one's relationship with God is not damaged, and there is no need for healing.

Quote:
Besides, if these errors are not sins, why are they called sins of ignorance?

Perhaps a lack of precision.

Quote:
This kind of begs the question as to what happens to our sins after the judgment. I suppose you would say they are cast on Satan(?).

They are blotted out.

Ok, you're talking about the investigative judgment. This is an interesting subject of itself. I would say that to say that sin is blotted out is to say it is removed from our character, and that fact is reflected by the books of heaven. Here's a thought from Waggoner on this:

Quote:
Though all the record of all our sin, even though written with the finger of God, were erased, the sin would remain, because the sin is in us. Though the record of our sin were graven in the rock, and the rock should be ground to powder—even this would not blot out our sin....

The erasing of sin is the blotting of it from our natures, so that we shall know it no more. 'The worshippers once purged' [Hebrews 10:2, 3]—actually purged by the blood of Christ—have 'no more conscience of sins,' because the way of sin is gone from them. Their iniquity may be sought for, but it will not be found. It is forever gone from them—it is foreign to their new natures, and even though they may be able to recall the fact that they have committed certain sins, they have forgotten the sin itself—they do not think of doing it any more. This is the work of Christ in the true sanctuary.

Quote:
T:It's interesting that when people think of God, they think of Him primarily as judge. Jesus referred to God as "Father" something like 177 times. He never referred to God as "judge," or "sovereign and ruler of the universe." This doesn't mean these things aren't true, of course. They just weren't important enough for Jesus to talk about.

R:How can you say He didn't talk about this? In His parables, many, many times Jesus portrayed God as a king/master - in fact, much more frequently than as a father. He also mentioned God as a judge.

He never referred to God Himself as a judge. (I don't believe He did; if you know of a reference, please present it). Jesus told many parables based on the mindset of His hearers. These parables should not necessarily be understood as reflecting Jesus' own beliefs. For example, Jesus taught the parable of Lazarus and the Rich Man which has immortality of the soul in it because His hearers believed in this erroneous doctrine. Another example is in the parable of the talents that were given to the workers to invest where one of the workers was chastised, being told "you knew your master was severe and harsh, yet you invested foolishly ..." Of course, God is neither severe nor harsh, but that's the way the worker thought of Him, so the parable addressed him in his own terms.

Much of Scripture is like this, by the way. The Spirit of Prophecy too. God makes appeals to us based on our level of understanding. For example, from "The Desire of Ages"

Quote:
It is not the fear of punishment, or the hope of everlasting reward, that leads the disciples of Christ to follow Him. They behold the Saviour's matchless love, revealed throughout His pilgrimage on earth, from the manger of Bethlehem to Calvary's cross, and the sight of Him attracts, it softens and subdues the soul. Love awakens in the heart of the beholders. They hear His voice, and they follow Him. (DA 480)

Even though Ellen White wrote this, one can find in her writings appeals based on fear of punishment and hope of reward. Why? Because that's the only motivation some people know, so God makes accommodations to meet them where they are.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #10 - The Meaning of His DEATH [Re: Rosangela] #100686
07/07/08 08:09 PM
07/07/08 08:09 PM
S
scott  Offline
Wyoming, USA
 Originally Posted By: Rosangela
 Quote:
Hi Rosangela,
Are you an attorney? You completely avoided my question and changed the subject so smooth I think you must be a professional.

My question was very simple. Do you think that this earth/earthlings would self destruct if God withdrew completely His Holy Spirit? Or would some men survive and learn how to live with each other?

If you don't want to answer that is fine with me!

scott

Scott,

My answer was also very simple, but you don't seem to have understood it. If I said, "This would still be the first death," it's obvious that I believe that "this earth/earthlings would self destruct if God withdrew completely His Holy Spirit." However, what I'm saying is that the wages of sin is the second death, not the first death, and what distinguishes the second death from the first is the agony experienced by the sinner because of the weight of his guilt.

Hi Rosangela,

My original question was "how long" do you think they would survive and you still didn't answer it.

Quote:
by Rosangela: it's obvious that I believe that "this earth/earthlings would self destruct if God withdrew completely His Holy Spirit

So if God revealed the cross to every man (after the 2nd resurrection) in its fullness and showed them every time that He had pled with them and how many times they had been saved by His mercy during their life and then He withdrew His presence how long would it be before they destroyed themselves living with the guilt of their sins and the absence of hope?

Or do you think if God didn't destroy them the race would continue on for a long time?

scott

Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #10 - The Meaning of His DEATH [Re: Tom] #100698
07/08/08 12:53 PM
07/08/08 12:53 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
 Quote:
Using one's free will to do evil has bad results, in part due to having a conscience.

I’m still confused. I said that too, and my point was that God used His individual discretion to create our mind/conscience to work in the way it works. How exactly does your position differ from mine?

Quote:
The angel explained to her that when light came, then there was the "frown of God," but that where there is no light "there is no sin."

Sin is the transgression of the law. If you transgress it ignorantly is this a sin or not? In a way it is, because you are transgressing it. In a way it isn’t, because that sin is not imputed to you until you have light about the subject. But obviously God knows it is a sin, although you are not aware of that, and will try to bring that to your attention.

Quote:
R: Why is it that when the error is brought to the attention of the person, the person must repent (Acts 17:30, Lev. 4:27, 28, etc)?
T: Because once a person knows one has done wrong, the relationship is damaged. As long as one is in ignorance of having done something wrong, one's relationship with God is not damaged, and there is no need for healing.

No relationship is damaged. You didn’t know it was a sin! But since now you know, of course you repent for having done something wrong, something against the will of God. This is simple.

Quote:
R: Besides, if these errors are not sins, why are they called sins of ignorance?
T: Perhaps a lack of precision.

So I suppose you believe the Bible is imprecise in this particular case.

Quote:
I would say that to say that sin is blotted out is to say it is removed from our character, and that fact is reflected by the books of heaven.

When the hour of the judgment comes, the sin registry of the righteous is blotted out. The sins of Abel were removed from his character some 6,000 years ago, but only now have they been removed from the books of heaven.

Quote:
He never referred to God Himself as a judge. (I don't believe He did; if you know of a reference, please present it). Jesus told many parables based on the mindset of His hearers. These parables should not necessarily be understood as reflecting Jesus' own beliefs. For example, Jesus taught the parable of Lazarus and the Rich Man which has immortality of the soul in it because His hearers believed in this erroneous doctrine. Another example is in the parable of the talents that were given to the workers to invest where one of the workers was chastised, being told "you knew your master was severe and harsh, yet you invested foolishly ..." Of course, God is neither severe nor harsh, but that's the way the worker thought of Him, so the parable addressed him in his own terms.

Some parables speak about God by similarity and others by contrast. The severe master, the unjust judge, are contrasted with God, who is a loving Master and a just Judge. But, if in a given parable God is likened to a father, king or judge, either by similarity or by contrast, this means God has all those roles.

Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #10 - The Meaning of His DEATH [Re: scott] #100699
07/08/08 01:07 PM
07/08/08 01:07 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
 Quote:
My original question was "how long" do you think they would survive and you still didn't answer it.

Not a very long time it seems, but certainly not immediately. As far as I know the Holy Spirit will be entirely removed from the wicked after probation closes, but we have no idea about how much time will elapse until Christ comes. Even so, the wicked won't destroy themselves but it will be Christ's glory which will destroy them/ the earth.

Quote:
So if God revealed the cross to every man (after the 2nd resurrection) in its fullness and showed them every time that He had pled with them and how many times they had been saved by His mercy during their life and then He withdrew His presence how long would it be before they destroyed themselves living with the guilt of their sins and the absence of hope?

Do you believe God will withdraw His presence? I don't believe that and, as far as I know, Tom doesn't believe that either, so I think you differ with him in this point.

Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #10 - The Meaning of His DEATH [Re: Rosangela] #100703
07/08/08 03:20 PM
07/08/08 03:20 PM
S
scott  Offline
Wyoming, USA
 Quote:
by Rosangela: Do you believe God will withdraw His presence? I don't believe that and, as far as I know, Tom doesn't believe that either, so I think you differ with him in this point.

No! Actually I believe that God will show up and the very light that resurrected the righteous, 1000 years earlier, will drive humanity insane enough to believe that they can take the city by force.

My question was trying to see if you thought sin was truly lethal or just an alternate life style.

scott

Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #10 - The Meaning of His DEATH [Re: scott] #100709
07/08/08 09:13 PM
07/08/08 09:13 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
As far as I know the Holy Spirit will be entirely removed from the wicked after probation closes, but we have no idea about how much time will elapse until Christ comes.

I believe the Holy Spirit is withdrawn in the sense that He gives up. The wicked won't respond, so rather than continue to speak to them, which would have no purpose, He sadly lets them go.

I wouldn't say we have "no idea." We don't have a precise idea, but we know it won't be a long time.

(I didn't forget your other post; just have a short amount of time right now).

Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #10 - The Meaning of His DEATH [Re: Tom] #100711
07/09/08 12:47 AM
07/09/08 12:47 AM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
Something to think about regarding the consequences of God withdrawing His presence:
 Quote:
It is not because of inherent power that year by year the earth produces her bounties and continues her motion round the sun. The hand of God guides the planets and keeps them in position in their orderly march through the heavens. It is through His power that summer and winter, seedtime and harvest, day and night follow each other in their regular succession. It is by His word that vegetation flourishes, that the leaves appear and the flowers bloom. Every good thing we have, each ray of sunshine and shower of rain, every morsel of food, every moment of life, is a gift of love. {MB 74.3}

The fact that God's presence is required for the continued working of something so fundamental as gravity also impacts every discussion that deals with the results of God's presence (e.g. consumes sin and sinners, gives life to His subjects, etc.).

By God's grace,
Arnold

There is no excuse for any one in taking the position that there is no more truth to be revealed, and that all our expositions of Scripture are without an error. The fact that certain doctrines have been held as truth for many years by our people, is not a proof that our ideas are infallible. Age will not make error into truth, and truth can afford to be fair. No true doctrine will lose anything by close investigation. RH 12/20/1892
Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #10 - The Meaning of His DEATH [Re: asygo] #100714
07/09/08 02:46 PM
07/09/08 02:46 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Exactly, Arnold!

Reply Quote
Page 21 of 24 1 2 19 20 21 22 23 24
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled
CAPTCHA Verification

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/12/24 10:01 AM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 05/06/24 12:18 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by dedication. 05/06/24 02:37 PM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:33 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:29 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:27 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by kland. 05/06/24 10:32 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!