HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,617
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 21
kland 9
Daryl 4
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
Daryl
Daryl
Nova Scotia, Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
7 registered members (Karen Y, Nadi, dedication, Kevin H, Daryl, 2 invisible), 3,348 guests, and 23 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 19 of 71 1 2 17 18 19 20 21 70 71
Re: The Covenants [Re: scott] #100859
07/12/08 03:43 PM
07/12/08 03:43 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
S: There are a lot of perks to being God’s remnant.

MM: Does the Remnant Church exist today? If so, which church is it?

Re: The Covenants [Re: scott] #100864
07/12/08 07:09 PM
07/12/08 07:09 PM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
Tom, this is a classic quote taken out of context.

It's not out of context. You can read the whole letter and verify this. The whole point of the letter had to do with just what was quoted.

Quote:

1) No mention of specific positions is made in this quote, nor even in the paragraphs before and after it.

It was a private letter. The principles knew what the positions were. There was no need for her to state them.

Quote:

2) The emphatic nature of the statement is cutting BOTH ways. Notice this sentence from the paragraph which follows your quote:
"As to the law in Galatians, I have no burden and never have had and know Brother Smith, Porter, Jones or any one will never be prepared to receive light, either to establish or refute their position until every one of you are men truly converted before God."

It looks like you're misreading this, if you think this is cutting both ways. It's not. The "every one of you" is speaking of "Smith, Porter, Jones" and the others resisting what Waggoner was teaching. It's not referring to Waggoner. This can be verified by looking at her continued correspondence at this time, which is in the 1888 Materials, released by the EGW Estate around 1988.

Quote:
3) Judging by the context, I would say this is most clearly speaking to the motivation, spirit, and/or attitude of those studying the issues, and is NOT addressing the issues themselves.

It's speaking primarily of the issues. The persons referred to in the letter were rejecting "truth." She explained why. It wasn't simply a mental problem of incorrectly rejecting something which shouldn't be rejected. But primarily the issue was that truth was being rejected.

I take it from your remarks that you don't know the background as to what was happening when this letter was written. There is a specific reason as to why she wrote this letter.

Quote:

4) Mrs. White herself takes no sides in the matter in this statement, other than to urge true conversion of heart before taking up this study.

This section talking about the law in Galatians, not the covenants. She wrote that Waggoner's view of the covenants was "clear and convincing" as well as "truth" and that the others were wasting their investigative powers trying to develop a position different than Waggoner's. Really, this is so clear, I don't see how one can argue against it.

When I presented the quote, I remarked I didn't think it would do any good. I've yet to meet someone read this quote and say, "Oh really? Then I wonder what Waggoner's position on the covenant's is. I better find out!" although I would think this would be a natural reaction.

No one researches the specifics. What was going on when this endorsement was made? Why did she make it? If one makes the effort to do this, it's very clear what the points of contention were, what she was endorsing, and why.

Quote:

5) I agree with her on this point.

Do you disagree with the first point, that Waggoner's view on the covenants was "clear and convincing" and "truth"?

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: The Covenants [Re: scott] #100865
07/12/08 07:53 PM
07/12/08 07:53 PM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
She doesn't in that statement, but she did later see the law in Galations as the 10 Commandments and the cerimonial law which together make up the Old Covenant.

This is misleading. She makes a specific comment about a specific verse, or 2 verses, which is Gal. 3:24, 25. In 1SM 234, 5 she explains that the Holy Spirit, through the apostle Paul was speaking especially of the moral law (this was in 1892 I think). There was also a secondary consideration, which she mentions later (in 1900 I think) regarding Gal. 3:24, 25.

She really didn't want to get into the issue, and wanted the breathren to hash it out themselves. Waggoner was willing to do so, and she commended him as comporting himself as a Christian gentleman. I am not aware of her ever being critical of Waggoner's conduct, in terms of his spirit or how he treated another. Anyway, he was willing, but his oposition was not. She, I'm tempted to say "nagged" as that seems the most accurate word, them to do so for years in which she wrote them dozens of letters. There are literally hundreds of pages involved. But they steadfastly refused.

She had the insight that more was involved than merely the law in Galatians. She saw that Waggoner had light on righteousness by faith, which is how she saw the issue.

Now there's a reason why Waggoner viewed the law in Galatians as being the moral law. Actually, there are many reasons, and these are brought out in his pamphlet "The Gospel in Galatians" which is available online. I'd encourage anyone interested in the subject to read it. It's very well argued.

Most people see the law in Galatians as dealing with the ceremonial law because they see the issue as dispensational. Waggoner didn't see it that way, and brings out an argument as to why this isn't the right way of looking at things.

Quote:
Strangely enough, many have supposed that there was a definite time fixed for faith to come. This passage has been "interpreted" to mean that men were under the law until a certain time in the history of the world, and that at that time faith came, and then they were henceforth free from the law. The coming of faith they make synonymous with the manifestation of Christ on earth. We can not say that anybody ever thought so, for such an "interpretation" indicates utter absence of thought about the matter. It would make men to be saved in bulk, regardless of any concurrence on their part. It would have it that up to a certain time all were in bondage under the law, and that from that time henceforth all were free from sin. A man's salvation would, therefore, depend simply on the accident of birth. If he lived before a certain time, he would be lost; if after, he would be saved. Such an absurdity need not take more of our time than the statement of it. No one can seriously think of the idea that the apostle is here speaking of a fixed, definite point of time in the history of the world, dividing between two so-called "dispensations," without at once abandoning it.

When, then, does faith come? "Faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the Word of God." Rom.10:17. Whenever a man receives the Word of God, the word of promise, which brings with it the fullness of the law, and no longer fights against it, but yields to it, then faith comes to him. Read the eleventh chapter of Hebrews, and you will see that faith came from the beginning. Since the days of Abel, men have found freedom by faith. The only time fixed is "now," "to-day." "Now is the accepted time; behold, now is the day of salvation." "To-day if ye will hear His voice, harden not your hearts." (The Glad Tidings)

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: The Covenants [Re: Mountain Man] #100885
07/13/08 08:52 PM
07/13/08 08:52 PM
S
scott  Offline
Wyoming, USA
 Originally Posted By: Mountain Man
S: There are a lot of perks to being God’s remnant.

MM: Does the Remnant Church exist today? If so, which church is it?

Hi MM,

I believe God has always had a remnant and I believe that the SDA church has been called to give the message of the judgment to God's church and then to the world.

Does that mean I believe the church organization is the Remnant? Corporately no, but individually yes! I believe God's true church is people with the message of the gospel. Do I support with my finances and baptize people into the organized church? Absolutely, in the hope that they will become one of the remnant that takes the gospel to the world.

I believe that the SDA church was called to preach the everlasting gospel and that gospel is the character of God revealed through Jesus. Jesus spent His whole ministry talking about His Father and when asked by one of His disciples to "show us the Father" Jesus replied, "If you've seen me you've seen the Father!"

Jesus also said that to know God is eternal life! Thus I believe that the true everlasting Gospel is the revelation of the Father's love that Jesus gave us in His life and death. He destroyed all the barriers that kept us from the Father by dispelling all the lies about Him. We can now know, through Jesus, that we have nothing to fear from the Father and that He wants to be our Friend.

This is good news, but Adventism, as a whole, has not continued the reformation and discarded the Penal Atonement Model of Roman and adopted by the Evangelical Churches. We make a big deal about the fact that God doesn't burn the wicked for eternity, but He still is vengeful and vindictive and actually doesn't forgive at all, but demanded payment in full from His innocent Son.

Thus we have one of the God head who can't forgive and one who gives everything. God has called us out of this confusion, but not by prophetic decree. He has planted in our collective mind gems about God in the Great Controversy that no other church has and we know that the judgment is not God judging us, but placing Himself on trial and asking His remnant to vindicate Him of all the lies that He has been accused of.

Once the reformation is complete in the church, represented by the three angel’s messages, it goes to the world, represented by the 4th angel of Revelation 18:1. This last message is the exact same message that Christ taught and that is the loveliness of God's character, the very message that calls us to repentance and has the power to gain victory over self. "The gospel is the power of God unto salvation!" The good news that Jesus taught has the power to save us. And that salvation comes by changing our minds about God.

The question is who will believe Jesus! Even over the prophets! Even over the church! Who will let go everything with both hand and grab onto Jesus alone?

scott

Re: The Covenants [Re: scott] #100893
07/14/08 03:09 PM
07/14/08 03:09 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Scott, I very much appreciate you answering my question. Thank you. Do you think Ellen White is partly to blame for SDAs believing in the atonement the way most do? For example, she wrote:

“By His word God has bound Himself to execute the penalty of the law on all transgressors.” (6BC 1095)

“In the plan of redemption there must be the shedding of blood, for death must come in consequence of man’s sin.” (CON 22)

“Justice demands that sin be not merely pardoned, but the death penalty must be executed. God, in the gift of His only-begotten Son, met both these requirements. By dying in man’s stead, Christ exhausted the penalty and provided a pardon.” (1SM 340)

The NC relied on Jesus paying our sin debt of death on the cross. Law and justice, as established by God Himself, demands death for sin. Jesus' death was required to preserve the honor and integrity of God's law. In so dying, God demonstrated the truth about His law and love. He also thereby safeguarded redeemed and unfallen beings against rebelling in the future.

Is this how you see it, too?

Re: The Covenants [Re: Mountain Man] #100897
07/14/08 04:36 PM
07/14/08 04:36 PM
S
scott  Offline
Wyoming, USA
 Originally Posted By: Mountain Man
Scott, I very much appreciate you answering my question. Thank you. Do you think Ellen White is partly to blame for SDAs believing in the atonement the way most do? For example, she wrote:

“By His word God has bound Himself to execute the penalty of the law on all transgressors.” (6BC 1095)

“In the plan of redemption there must be the shedding of blood, for death must come in consequence of man’s sin.” (CON 22)

“Justice demands that sin be not merely pardoned, but the death penalty must be executed. God, in the gift of His only-begotten Son, met both these requirements. By dying in man’s stead, Christ exhausted the penalty and provided a pardon.” (1SM 340)

The NC relied on Jesus paying our sin debt of death on the cross. Law and justice, as established by God Himself, demands death for sin. Jesus' death was required to preserve the honor and integrity of God's law. In so dying, God demonstrated the truth about His law and love. He also thereby safeguarded redeemed and unfallen beings against rebelling in the future.

Is this how you see it, too?

Hi MM,

I don’t see that Ellen has any blame for anything. She came from a Methodist background with a very legal view of the atonement and justice. She wasn’t instantly changed, but over the years saw things that are diametrically opposed to her view. Ellen believed in penal atonement. But she also says many things that do not fit that view. Abraham believed in having multiple wives, but that doesn’t mean He was not called of God.

If you read the 1858 version of the Great Controversy you will find her picture of God much harsher than in the 1905 version after 5 editions. Her view of God softened and she moved from a strictly penal view to a more natural view of the destruction of the wicked.

Why would we assume that the minute God calls a prophet that the person has every theological misunderstanding straightened out immediately? Ellen was a pork eating Sunday keeper when God called her. It took her years to change her mind and her habits. And I think that she is one of the biggest blessings to the church simply because we got to see the prophetic gift in progress for over 60 years and now we know how all the prophets were changed by their message.

Ellen’s message dynamically changed her, but our fundamentalist attitude toward the prophets doesn’t allow for her to grow. If she saw something clearer 10 years after she commented on it last and she changed her position everyone cried, “False prophet”. Remember that she said that she was not infallible. That simply means that she made mistakes!

Does your theology allow her to make mistakes or change her mind as things grew clearer? If not you might want to consider rethinking your position.

scott

Re: The Covenants [Re: scott] #100911
07/15/08 02:44 PM
07/15/08 02:44 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
 Originally Posted By: scott
Does your theology allow her to make mistakes or change her mind as things grew clearer? If not you might want to consider rethinking your position.

Where does she admit to growing and changing her thinking? Where does she admit to having a harsh view of God's justice? Where does she admit to having a tainted view of penal atonement? It would mean more to me to hear it from her.

What about when she quotes holy angels in vision? Is there any evidence to support the idea angels compromised to meet her where she was, that what they told her in vision reflects her tainted theological views at the time? For example:

EW 294, 295
Satan rushes into the midst of his followers and tries to stir up the multitude to action. But fire from God out of heaven is rained upon them, and the great men, and mighty men, the noble, the poor and miserable, are all consumed together. I saw that some were quickly destroyed, while others suffered longer. They were punished according to the deeds done in the body. Some were many days consuming, and just as long as there was a portion of them unconsumed, all the sense of suffering remained. Said the angel, "The worm of life shall not die; their fire shall not be quenched as long as there is the least particle for it to prey upon." {EW 294.1}

Satan and his angels suffered long. Satan bore not only the weight and punishment of his own sins, but also of the sins of the redeemed host, which had been placed upon him; and he must also suffer for the ruin of souls which he had caused. Then I saw that Satan and all the wicked host were consumed, and the justice of God was satisfied; and all the angelic host, and all the redeemed saints, with a loud voice said, "Amen!" {EW 294.2}

Said the angel, "Satan is the root, his children are the branches. They are now consumed root and branch. They have died an everlasting death. They are never to have a resurrection, and God will have a clean universe." I then looked and saw the fire which had consumed the wicked, burning up the rubbish and purifying the earth. Again I looked and saw the earth purified. {EW 295.1}

Re: The Covenants [Re: Mountain Man] #100912
07/15/08 02:45 PM
07/15/08 02:45 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Scott, what is your opinion of the following observations:

Re: The Covenants [Re: Mountain Man] #100919
07/15/08 04:29 PM
07/15/08 04:29 PM
S
scott  Offline
Wyoming, USA
Hi MM,

The debt we owe to sin is death. Sin is transgression of the law therefore one could say that our debt is owed to the broken law. I agree with this statement, but it means something much different to me that it does to you.

Justice is reconciliation by biblical terms therefore it is justice for God to forgive as well as allow men to destroy themselves.

The integrity of God's law is only as good as God's character since the law is a transcript of God's character. How could a sinner affect the integrity of God's character unless the sinner could provoke God to do something out of character like murder?

Love and law are identical since all of the law can be expressed in "love" and "God is love" and the law is a "transcript of God's character."

Do you really believe that God threatening us will safeguard future rebellion? Do you believe that a violent act from God, so that we all know exactly how vicious He can be against sin, will make us trust Him more?

I prefer to think of love overcoming violence rather than becoming violent itself to survive. Satan invented death and everyone who follows him will die. The question is if God has to kill them or is sin lethal enough to finish the job.

God gave us the cure for sin's folly in Jesus; a cure for death. Some refuse to take it. Does a doctor have to kill his patient who refuses to take the only medicine that will cure them?

scott

Re: The Covenants [Re: Mountain Man] #100920
07/15/08 04:43 PM
07/15/08 04:43 PM
S
scott  Offline
Wyoming, USA
 Quote:
By scott: Does your theology allow her to make mistakes or change her mind as things grew clearer? If not you might want to consider rethinking your position.

By MM: Where does she admit to growing and changing her thinking? Where does she admit to having a harsh view of God's justice? Where does she admit to having a tainted view of penal atonement? It would mean more to me to hear it from her.

She changed her mind about the "closed door theory" that she got swept into early in the Advent movement. She quoted medical journals that were wrong. She edited her books and made changes which show that her first views needed revising. And she expressed the same idea, but with a lot less hell fire and brimstone. But most of all she talks about how Jesus changed her and she said that she was not infallible.

If you believe that every word in her writings and/or in the Bible are God’s words and infallible then, by every definition, you are a fundamentalist. Ellen didn’t teach “word inspiration”, but in “thought inspiration.” This simply means that God is not represented in the words, but that He impressed men and inspired them to write things down in their own words. The words are God's impressions in men’s words mixed with men’s thoughts about what God meant in the vision or dream. The written word is an expression of God given by inspired men, but the word made flesh, Jesus, is the perfect word of God and His exact expression.

scott

Page 19 of 71 1 2 17 18 19 20 21 70 71

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 04/30/24 10:34 PM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 07:26 PM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!