HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,631
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 24
kland 6
Daryl 2
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
5 registered members (Karen Y, Daryl, dedication, TheophilusOne, 1 invisible), 3,678 guests, and 11 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 44 1 2 3 4 5 43 44
Re: What was nailed to the cross in Col 2:14? [Re: Rosangela] #101439
08/09/08 04:58 AM
08/09/08 04:58 AM
S
scott  Offline
Wyoming, USA
 Originally Posted By: Rosangela
The passage is speaking of the old covenant as contrasted with the new

So is Hebrews 1-8 and so is Galatians 3.

The term "law" is talking about the writings of Moses, the first five books of the Bible, but specifically the Old Covenant that God gave to Israel historically recorded by Moses.

In the NT "The law and the Prophets" is a reference to the OT scriptures. "The law" being the Pentateuch (Moses writings) and "the prophets" being the major and Minor Prophets completing the OT scriptures.

scott

Re: What was nailed to the cross in Col 2:14? [Re: scott] #101440
08/09/08 05:01 AM
08/09/08 05:01 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
14For he himself is our peace, who has made the two one and has destroyed the barrier, the dividing wall of hostility, 15by abolishing in his flesh the law with its commandments and regulations. His purpose was to create in himself one new man out of the two, thus making peace, 16and in this one body to reconcile both of them to God through the cross, by which he put to death their hostility. 17He came and preached peace to you who were far away and peace to those who were near. 18For through him we both have access to the Father by one Spirit.

I think this is speaking of the enmity of the carnal mind:

Quote:
7Because the carnal mind is enmity against God: for it is not subject to the law of God, neither indeed can be.

8So then they that are in the flesh cannot please God.(Rom. 8)

In Christ, the enmity is taken away.

The carnal mind is enmity against God, because it is not subject to the law. The law is not the problem, but the carnal mind. The hostility comes because the mind which is not subject to the law is hostile; it is hostile against God (first 4 commandments) and hostile against man (last 6). To take away the hostility between man and man, and it is first necessary to take away the hostility between God and man. This Christ does in being our peace. As man makes peace with God, he makes peace with man, so that in Christ there is neither Jew nor Gentile.

Similarly in Col. 2, the problem is not with the law, but with the unconverted mind of man. An interpretation of Col. 2:14 has to deal with the "against us" part. The ordinances which God gave to prefigure Christ were not "against us."

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: What was nailed to the cross in Col 2:14? [Re: scott] #101441
08/09/08 05:03 AM
08/09/08 05:03 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
What Paul says in v. 14 that Christ nailed to the cross is the part of the old covenant which was "a shadow of things to come," as he makes clear in v.17. So this refers to the ceremonial law, which prefigured Christ's work of salvation.

How could a prefiguring of Christ's work of salvation possibly be against us? What could be more for us than Christ's work of salvation?

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: What was nailed to the cross in Col 2:14? [Re: scott] #101442
08/09/08 05:05 AM
08/09/08 05:05 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
The ministry of death was the old covenant - the law without Christ.

I think this is an interesting way of putting it; the Old Covenant, the law without Christ. How could God possibly have initiated such a thing? That blows my mind.

Re: What was nailed to the cross in Col 2:14? [Re: Tom] #101443
08/09/08 05:13 AM
08/09/08 05:13 AM
S
scott  Offline
Wyoming, USA
Hi Tom,

I think it interesting how whenever the 10 Commandments are discussed the two sides always surface. Buttler and Waggoner. One claiming that the 10 Commandments are still in effect and the other saying that they were only temporary to lead us to Christ.

It happened in 1888 and ever since.

Also the covenants always draw out two sides. Again Butler and Waggoner. One teaching that only the ceremonial law was against us and done away with at the cross and the other teaching that it is the 10 Commandments that were against us because we couldn't keep them so Christ revealed God's love to us to accomplish what the commandments couldn't do. Therefore we are no longer under the commandments, but under the graciousness of God revealed in Christ.

It is amazing how 120 years later the battle rages! Those teaching law and those teaching grace. Actually Paul ran into the same thing 2000 years earlier. There must be something awesome that happens to a group of people not depending on the law for their righteousness, but on Christ alone because the Devil sure works overtime to resist it!

scott

Re: What was nailed to the cross in Col 2:14? [Re: scott] #101444
08/09/08 05:46 AM
08/09/08 05:46 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
One claiming that the 10 Commandments are still in effect and the other saying that they were only temporary to lead us to Christ.

I wouldn't put it this way. For example, Waggoner said:

Quote:
Let the reader pay particular attention to the fact that there is in this epistle no controversy over the law, as to whether or not it should be obeyed. No one had claimed that the law was abolished, or changed, or had lost its force. The epistle contains no hint of any such thing. The question was not if the law should be kept, but how it was to be kept. Justification--being made righteous--was admitted to be a necessity; the question was, Is it by faith, or by works? The false brethren were persuading the Galatians that they must be made righteous by their own efforts; Paul was by the Spirit showing that all such attempts were useless, and could result only in fastening more firmly the curse upon the sinner. Righteousness through faith in Jesus Christ is set forth to all men in all time as the only real righteousness. The false teachers made their boast in the law, but through breaking it caused the name of God to be blasphemed. Paul made his boast in Christ, and by the righteousness of the law, to which he thus submitted, caused the name of God to be glorified in him. (The Glad Tidings)

A most eloquent dude.

Quote:
Also the covenants always draw out two sides. Again Butler and Waggoner. One teaching that only the ceremonial law was against us and done away with at the cross and the other teaching that it is the 10 Commandments that were against us because we couldn't keep them so Christ revealed God's love to us to accomplish what the commandments couldn't do. Therefore we are no longer under the commandments, but under the graciousness of God revealed in Christ.

I think this is closer to Waggoner's idea, and right on for Butler. However, the commandments were not "against us." The problem is not the law, but the mind that seeks to keep it in order to gain favor with God, and be better than others. I have a great quote from Jones on this.

Quote:
It is amazing how 120 years later the battle rages! Those teaching law and those teaching grace. Actually Paul ran into the same thing 2000 years earlier. There must be something awesome that happens to a group of people not depending on the law for their righteousness, but on Christ alone because the Devil sure works overtime to resist it!

This hit the nail on the head.

Re: What was nailed to the cross in Col 2:14? [Re: scott] #101449
08/09/08 05:36 PM
08/09/08 05:36 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
 Quote:
Don't you wonder why Paul would refer to the Old Covenant as "written on stone" when it was written by Moses and put in the side of the ark. As I recall the only thing written on stone was the 10 Commandments.

Scott,

As I said, the ten commandments were the essence of the old covenant (as they are the essence of the new), and they are spoken of here, by synecdoche, as representing the old covenant. What I’m not understanding is what the 10 Cs as the ministration of death have to do with the text we are considering – Col. 2. Could you please clarify?

Quote:
I don't think I mentioned Eph. 2

Eph. 2 uses the same term as Col. 2 – dogmasin, and what we are discussing is exactly the meaning of this term.

Quote:
R: The passage is speaking of the old covenant as contrasted with the new
S: So is Hebrews 1-8 and so is Galatians 3.

Exactly for this reason I’m saying I don’t see the relationship between 2 Cor. 3 and these other passages (which you brought into the discussion) and Col. 2 (the passage we are discussing), since the subject in Col. 2 is circumcision and the ceremonial precepts.

Quote:
The term "law" is talking about the writings of Moses, the first five books of the Bible, but specifically the Old Covenant that God gave to Israel historically recorded by Moses.

The meaning of the term “law” in the NT depends on the immediate context, and it does not always apply to the old covenant. Some passages in which it definitely cannot apply to the old covenant include Rom. 3:31, Heb. 10:16, 1 John 3:4, James 2:12, 4:11, etc.
But why are you speaking about law if the word “law” does not appear in Col. 2?

Re: What was nailed to the cross in Col 2:14? [Re: Tom] #101450
08/09/08 06:07 PM
08/09/08 06:07 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
Tom,

You did not answer my question:
 Quote:
What is "the law of commandments contained in ordinances" that Christ "abolished in His flesh" (Eph. 2:15)?

Quote:
An interpretation of Col. 2:14 has to deal with the "against us" part. The ordinances which God gave to prefigure Christ were not "against us."

How do you explain what Ellen White says in the quotes I posted previously?
Yes, there was a negative aspect in the ceremonial law. The ceremonial law made no provision for either Jews or gentiles to approach God directly. The Jews depended on priests, and the gentiles were almost entirely excluded.

"Anciently believers were saved by the same Saviour as now, but it was a God veiled. They saw God's mercy in figures. . . . When as a sinless offering Christ bowed His head and died, when by the Almighty's unseen hand the veil of the temple was rent in twain, a new and living way was opened. All can now approach God through the merits of Christ. It is because the veil has been rent that men can draw nigh to God. They need not depend on priest or ceremonial sacrifice. Liberty is given to all to go directly to God through a personal Saviour." {AG 155.5}

"In the temple at Jerusalem there was a partition wall, separating the outer court from the apartment of the temple itself. Gentiles were permitted to enter the outer court, but it was lawful only for the Jews to penetrate to the inner enclosure." {GCB, March 5, 1895 par. 9}

"The middle wall of partition between the Jew and Gentile was broken down. They were no longer in separate rooms; the unbelieving Gentile has been united with the believing Jew." {ST, August 25, 1887 par. 12}

"Christ came to demolish every wall of partition, to throw open every compartment of the temple, that every soul may have free access to God. . . . In Christ there is neither Jew nor Greek, bond nor free. All are brought nigh by His precious blood." {2SM 486.1}

Quote:
I think this is an interesting way of putting it; the Old Covenant, the law without Christ. How could God possibly have initiated such a thing? That blows my mind.

The old covenant was just a didactical covenant. It should have led the people to salvation, not to perdition. They should have discerned the spirit of the old covenant, not its letter. The fault was with the people, not with God.

Re: What was nailed to the cross in Col 2:14? [Re: Rosangela] #101454
08/10/08 12:24 AM
08/10/08 12:24 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
You did not answer my question:

My entire post was for the purpose of answering your question. I explained what I thought Paul was saying.

Regarding the EGW comments, it looks like she's just quoting snippets of certain verses to make a general point. She wasn't offering an interpretation of the passage in Collosians that I saw. If you had some specific quote in mind, you could requote that.

Quote:
Yes, there was a negative aspect in the ceremonial law. The ceremonial law made no provision for either Jews or gentiles to approach God directly. The Jews depended on priests, and the gentiles were almost entirely excluded.

The ceremonial law prefigured Christ's ministry. I don't see how a prefiguring of Christ's ministry would be against us. You say there was no provision to approach God directly. How is the prefiguring different than that which it prefigures? It seems it would follow from your explanation that Christ's ministry is also against us, since we approach God indirectly.

Quote:
T:I think this is an interesting way of putting it; the Old Covenant, the law without Christ. How could God possibly have initiated such a thing? That blows my mind.

R:The old covenant was just a didactical covenant. It should have led the people to salvation, not to perdition. They should have discerned the spirit of the old covenant, not its letter. The fault was with the people, not with God.

The covenant itself was faulty.

Quote:
22For it is written, that Abraham had two sons, the one by a bondmaid, the other by a freewoman.

23But he who was of the bondwoman was born after the flesh; but he of the freewoman was by promise.

24Which things are an allegory: for these are the two covenants; the one from the mount Sinai, which gendereth to bondage, which is Agar.

The OC "gendereth to bondage". You characterize the OC as "the law without Christ" which would certainly lead to bondage, so that agrees with what Paul says. I just don't understand how you could think that God would initiate a covenant that could do nothing but enslave those who agreed to it.

Re: What was nailed to the cross in Col 2:14? [Re: Tom] #101455
08/10/08 12:52 AM
08/10/08 12:52 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
An article from http://www.sdanet.org/atissue/sabbath/richardson.htm, by William E. Richardson, Ph.D., chair of the Department of Religion, Andrews University, Berrien Springs, Michigan emphasis mine).

"Blotting out the handwriting of ordinances that was against us, which was contrary to us, and took it out of the way, nailing it to his cross; and having spoiled principalities and powers, he made a shew of them openly, triumphing over them in it. Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect of any holyday, or of the new moon, or of the sabbath days: which are a shadow of things to come; but the body is of Christ" (Col. 2:14-17).

In this day of the "sound-bite," we biblical expositors have our work cut out for us. When the passage is tough, requiring serious thought and expression, the attention of our listeners wanders, eyes glaze, and we quickly reach for an easier explanation. I believe that desire for the "easier explanation" is part of the reason Colossians 2:14-17 still suffers occasional exegetical abuse. Understandably, we who hold both the law and the Sabbath in considerable esteem approach the passage with some uneasiness, since Paul's figure of nailing something to the cross (verse 14) is in close proximity to a Sabbath (verse 16) and some sort of law (verse 14). So, to protect two of our most revered pillars, we tend to interpret this passage with certain presuppositions firmly in place. However, in this exposition we will focus sharply on the Colossian context before making contemporary applications.

Colossians 2:14-17 is not a passage with a transparent meaning. Even a good English translation is not enough to resolve all the doctrinal and theological difficulties. In fact, this is one of those passages in which a few of the finer points of the original language gives us a real boost to our interpretive task.

The context

The first phrase that gives rise to some contention is cheirographon tois dogmasin, translated in the KJV as "handwriting of ordinances." Other translations include "Certificate of debt" (NASB), or "bond written in ordinances" (RV), or "the bond which stood against us with its legal demands" (RSV). Since the words occur nowhere else in Scripture, lexical definitions must be carefully guided by the immediate context.

The context begins with 2:12, where Paul speaks of being "buried with Him in baptism." The result of that "burial baptism" is resurrection to a new life and cleansing from sin. Paul refers to that cleansing with two participle phrases that are parallel, the second repeating the thought of the first. The first of those two phrases is "having forgiven us all our trespasses" (verse 13, RSV). The parallel and repetitive phrase is "having canceled the bond [cheirographon tois dogmasin] which stood against us" (verse 14, RSV). Both phrases mean essentially the same thing, the second simply repeating in different terms what it meant for him to forgive our sins. Thus forgiveness of our sins has resulted in the canceling of the bond that was against us.

It is primarily the KJV translation of verse 14 ("handwriting of ordinances") that has led some to interpret the phrase as referring to the various Mosaic rituals and ceremonial "ordinances" that largely ceased to have relevance after Christ died on the cross. So if some law was nailed to the cross, it would have to be the ceremonial law, since the moral law was not made "void" by the cross (Rom. 3:31).

However, Paul rarely makes the neat division between the ceremonial law and the moral law that we are often quick to make. In fact, his references to the ceremonial laws are rare. When he does use the word "law" (nomos), he most frequently has in mind the moral law in general and often the Decalogue in particular. Of course, in our passage he doesn't use the word "law" at all, which is why we have to be so careful to reason from the context to understand his meaning.

In a strikingly similar passage in Ephesians 2:14, 15, Paul tells how Christ has brought peace, not just between Jew and Gentile, but between all humans and God, by nullifying the "law of commandments in decrees" (ton nomon ton entolon en dogmasin) (see New Jerusalem). Here the word "law" is linked with the word dogmasin, the same word translated "ordinances" in Colossians. The context of both Colossians and Ephesians indicates that something more than ceremonies was involved.

One thing is very clear: when Paul elsewhere refers to the impact of the cross for the Christian, he does not limit his reasoning to abolishing the ceremonial law. For Paul the most important thing that ended at the cross was the condemnation brought about by our sin. That condemnation arose out of a broken moral law. As he says in Romans 7:7, "if it had not been for the law, I should not have known sin" (RSV). In other words, it is the broken law that stands before us and condemns us, which is all the moral law can do for those who have broken it. But as Paul says in Romans 8:1 "there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus" (RSV). Or, as in verse 3, "God has done what the law, weakened by the flesh, could not do: sending his own Son . . . condemned sin in the flesh" (RSV).

To put it another way, the moral law could point out sin, but could not forgive it. So God had to intervene, or we would stand forever condemned by that law. At that point, the "principalities and powers" that Paul mentions in Colossians 2:15 would triumph over us. But now, as a result of the cross, that picture has changed, and the powers have been defeated. And that happened when the condemnation of the moral law was figuratively nailed to the cross. The NRSV smoothly translates it: "erasing the record that stood against us with its legal demands. He set this aside, nailing it to the cross." Thus He made "peace by the blood of his cross" (Col. 1:20, RSV).

I think W. Richardson is on the right track. These passages have to do with the condemnation that comes from breaking the moral law. This condemnation is what was against us, not the prefigure of Christ's ministry.

Page 3 of 44 1 2 3 4 5 43 44

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/12/24 10:01 AM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 05/06/24 12:18 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by dedication. 05/06/24 02:37 PM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:33 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:29 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:27 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by kland. 05/06/24 10:32 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!