HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,629
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 24
kland 13
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (Karen Y, Daryl, dedication, Nadi, 2 invisible), 2,967 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 6 of 36 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 35 36
Re: Did Christ died the 'second death' for us... [Re: Tom] #101257
08/01/08 08:18 PM
08/01/08 08:18 PM
Rick H  Offline
OP
Group: Admin Team
3000+ Member
Florida, USA
 Originally Posted By: Tom Ewall
Thanks for the clarification Richard.

It looks to me that you may be operating from a model that looks like this:

a.God decides who will be in each resurrection
b. God treats the people of each resurrection differently

Clearly a) is true, but I don't think b) is. I agree with the model that Scott presented.

I think what destroys the wicked is that they, by refusing to respond to God's overtures through the Holy Spirit, so damage their own character that God's mere presence becomes to them a consuming fire. God treats them just as well as the righteous, but they hate God, they hate His principles, and being around God, or anyone like Him, they find to be extremely undesirable.

So I see the second death as being that which is the result of people whose minds have been warped by sin coming in contact with the God who is love, and having Him fully revealed to them. The reason this revelation destroys them is because a full revelation of God means a full revelation of self.

Yes, that is the premise that my friend was leaning to, that the wicked are destroyed by God's mere presence which becomes to them a all consuming fire or a lake of fire, but Revelation 20 says 'lake of burning sulphur'.....

Revelation 20
The Thousand Years
1And I saw an angel coming down out of heaven, having the key to the Abyss and holding in his hand a great chain. 2He seized the dragon, that ancient serpent, who is the devil, or Satan, and bound him for a thousand years. 3He threw him into the Abyss, and locked and sealed it over him, to keep him from deceiving the nations anymore until the thousand years were ended. After that, he must be set free for a short time.
4I saw thrones on which were seated those who had been given authority to judge. And I saw the souls of those who had been beheaded because of their testimony for Jesus and because of the word of God. They had not worshiped the beast or his image and had not received his mark on their foreheads or their hands. They came to life and reigned with Christ a thousand years. 5(The rest of the dead did not come to life until the thousand years were ended.) This is the first resurrection. 6Blessed and holy are those who have part in the first resurrection. The second death has no power over them, but they will be priests of God and of Christ and will reign with him for a thousand years.

Satan's Doom
7When the thousand years are over, Satan will be released from his prison 8and will go out to deceive the nations in the four corners of the earth—Gog and Magog—to gather them for battle. In number they are like the sand on the seashore. 9They marched across the breadth of the earth and surrounded the camp of God's people, the city he loves. But fire came down from heaven and devoured them. 10And the devil, who deceived them, was thrown into the lake of burning sulfur, where the beast and the false prophet had been thrown. They will be tormented day and night for ever and ever.

The Dead Are Judged
11Then I saw a great white throne and him who was seated on it. Earth and sky fled from his presence, and there was no place for them. 12And I saw the dead, great and small, standing before the throne, and books were opened. Another book was opened, which is the book of life. The dead were judged according to what they had done as recorded in the books. 13The sea gave up the dead that were in it, and death and Hades gave up the dead that were in them, and each person was judged according to what he had done. 14Then death and Hades were thrown into the lake of fire. The lake of fire is the second death. 15If anyone's name was not found written in the book of life, he was thrown into the lake of fire.

Re: Did Christ died the 'second death' for us... [Re: Tammy Roesch] #101258
08/01/08 08:28 PM
08/01/08 08:28 PM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
 Originally Posted By: Tammy Roesch
What death do the righteous suffer? Only the 1st, as only the wicked will suffer the 2nd Death. So, if He was the First Fruit of the righteous, and the death the righteous suffer is the 1st Death, then it seems clear that is the death that He suffered as well.

Actually, the righteous do suffer a permanent kind of death. The difference is that the righteous experience the permanent death before probation closes, and the wicked after.

By God's grace,
Arnold

There is no excuse for any one in taking the position that there is no more truth to be revealed, and that all our expositions of Scripture are without an error. The fact that certain doctrines have been held as truth for many years by our people, is not a proof that our ideas are infallible. Age will not make error into truth, and truth can afford to be fair. No true doctrine will lose anything by close investigation. RH 12/20/1892
Re: Did Christ died the 'second death' for us... [Re: scott] #101260
08/01/08 08:40 PM
08/01/08 08:40 PM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
 Originally Posted By: scott
So if Christ bore the punishment for our sin is the punishment for sin a broken heart as a result of being separated from God?

No. The punishment for sin, or consequences if you prefer, is the inability to coexist with God, the source of life. Those who have sin cannot have God simultaneously.

The lack of God, or separation if you prefer, causes the broken heart, not the other way around. All men, including Jesus, have been separated from God at one time or another. The big difference is that Jesus felt it keenly, while most of us don't mind.

Now, my turn for a question. Do you believe that the AG 172.3 statement is true?
 Quote:
Guiltless, He bore the punishment of the guilty. {AG 172.3}

Did Jesus bear the punishment of the guilty?

Last edited by asygo; 08/01/08 10:55 PM.

By God's grace,
Arnold

There is no excuse for any one in taking the position that there is no more truth to be revealed, and that all our expositions of Scripture are without an error. The fact that certain doctrines have been held as truth for many years by our people, is not a proof that our ideas are infallible. Age will not make error into truth, and truth can afford to be fair. No true doctrine will lose anything by close investigation. RH 12/20/1892
Re: Did Christ died the 'second death' for us... [Re: asygo] #101263
08/01/08 10:15 PM
08/01/08 10:15 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
Yes, that is the premise that my friend was leaning to, that the wicked are destroyed by God's mere presence which becomes to them a all consuming fire or a lake of fire, but Revelation 20 says 'lake of burning sulphur'.

Ok, I agree with this, providing the lake of fire is not literal (at the time the wicked are suffering). That is, I don't believe the wicked suffer for many hours or days (as the SOP puts it) in a lake of literal fire, as literal fire would kill someone in a matter of seconds, so one would have to postulate that God was supernaturally keeping them alive so that He could cause them to suffer excruciating pain, which sounds much more like something Satan would do than God.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Did Christ died the 'second death' for us... [Re: Tom] #101264
08/01/08 10:16 PM
08/01/08 10:16 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
Actually, the righteous do suffer a permanent kind of death. The difference is that the righteous experience the permanent death before probation closes, and the wicked after.

This is good! (providing we're thinking along the same lines here, which I think is likely).

I agreed with your post #101260 too.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Did Christ died the 'second death' for us... [Re: Tom] #101265
08/01/08 10:46 PM
08/01/08 10:46 PM
C
Colin  Offline
Active Member 2012
Very Dedicated Member
E. Oregon, USA
 Quote:
 Originally Posted By: Richard
I was refering to the '2nd death'. To me the 2nd death was always the result of the process at the Heavenly Tabernacle in which God judges who will go to the lake of fire. All who have accepted Christ and the offer of eternal life would be covered by His righteousness and get the first ressurection and would go up and look through the heavently books to see that God was just in how He judged each person. All others were basically left for the process of eternal death in which they were raised up after the 1000 years so they also could see that God is just and then go to the lake of fire or '2nd death'.

Clearly a) is true, but I don't think b) is. I agree with the model that Scott presented.

I think what destroys the wicked is that they, by refusing to respond to God's overtures through the Holy Spirit, so damage their own character that God's mere presence becomes to them a consuming fire. God treats them just as well as the righteous, but they hate God, they hate His principles, and being around God, or anyone like Him, they find to be extremely undesirable.

So I see the second death as being that which is the result of people whose minds have been warped by sin coming in contact with the God who is love, and having Him fully revealed to them. The reason this revelation destroys them is because a full revelation of God means a full revelation of self.

Na, God doesn't treat the lost differently in that day - as regards his attitude, since it is they who are different - they have treated him differently than the righteous treated God. It's akin to thinking that the last generation of saints, who experience the "measure of the stature of the fulness of Christ" (Eph 4:13 RSV), are saved in a different way to previous generations of saints. God is graceous also, so judgement - settled once probation is closed! - is based on grace: those who avail themselves of Christ's grace by the faith of Jesus shall be judged according to God's graceous promise of redemption in Jesus (Rom 3:24); those who reject Christ's grace by unbelief are condemned already (John 3:18).

Having placed themselves outside of grace, justice remains, and is seen in the end - and accepted by all...even Satan himself, but God isn't different toward the lost, since they were included in Christ's graceous redemption of his life and death - which they spurned. Their ultimate separation from God doesn't kill them, but is self-selected mental torture - aided by shock! Their separation commences before Satan rallies them, so standing in God's presence doesn't destroy them directly: it is written that fire comes down both to destroy the wicked and....cleanse the earth! Malachi states that the redeemed shall walk on the ashes of the wicked.

God doesn't treat the wicked differently from Richard and my point of view.

Re: Did Christ died the 'second death' for us... [Re: Colin] #101266
08/01/08 10:57 PM
08/01/08 10:57 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
Their separation commences before Satan rallies them, so standing in God's presence doesn't destroy them directly: it is written that fire comes down both to destroy the wicked and....cleanse the earth! Malachi states that the redeemed shall walk on the ashes of the wicked.

A couple of clarifying questions:

Does this fire which destroys the wicked destroy them in a moment? Or do they suffer for many hours or many days after this fire comes upon them?

Re: Did Christ died the 'second death' for us... [Re: Rick H] #101267
08/01/08 11:27 PM
08/01/08 11:27 PM
S
scott  Offline
Wyoming, USA
 Originally Posted By: Richard

Yes, that is the premise that my friend was leaning to, that the wicked are destroyed by God's mere presence which becomes to them a all consuming fire or a lake of fire, but Revelation 20 says 'lake of burning sulphur'.....

Revelation 20
The Thousand Years
1And I saw an angel coming down out of heaven, having the key to the Abyss and holding in his hand a great chain. 2He seized the dragon, that ancient serpent, who is the devil, or Satan, and bound him for a thousand years. 3He threw him into the Abyss, and locked and sealed it over him, to keep him from deceiving the nations anymore until the thousand years were ended. After that, he must be set free for a short time.
4I saw thrones on which were seated those who had been given authority to judge. And I saw the souls of those who had been beheaded because of their testimony for Jesus and because of the word of God. They had not worshiped the beast or his image and had not received his mark on their foreheads or their hands. They came to life and reigned with Christ a thousand years. 5(The rest of the dead did not come to life until the thousand years were ended.) This is the first resurrection. 6Blessed and holy are those who have part in the first resurrection. The second death has no power over them, but they will be priests of God and of Christ and will reign with him for a thousand years.

Satan's Doom
7When the thousand years are over, Satan will be released from his prison 8and will go out to deceive the nations in the four corners of the earth—Gog and Magog—to gather them for battle. In number they are like the sand on the seashore. 9They marched across the breadth of the earth and surrounded the camp of God's people, the city he loves. But fire came down from heaven and devoured them. 10And the devil, who deceived them, was thrown into the lake of burning sulfur, where the beast and the false prophet had been thrown. They will be tormented day and night for ever and ever.

The Dead Are Judged
11Then I saw a great white throne and him who was seated on it. Earth and sky fled from his presence, and there was no place for them. 12And I saw the dead, great and small, standing before the throne, and books were opened. Another book was opened, which is the book of life. The dead were judged according to what they had done as recorded in the books. 13The sea gave up the dead that were in it, and death and Hades gave up the dead that were in them, and each person was judged according to what he had done. 14Then death and Hades were thrown into the lake of fire. The lake of fire is the second death. 15If anyone's name was not found written in the book of life, he was thrown into the lake of fire.

I find it interesting that the Abyss is not really a bottomless pit, but the desolate earth, the chain is not a real chain, but a chain of circumstances, the dragon and the serpent are not real dragons or serpents, but the devil, that Satan isn’t really bound with the chain, but just doesn’t have anyone to tempt, the beast is not a real beast, but a religious/political persecuting power, Gog and Magog are not real places of battle, but represent the final showdown between good and evil, the books are not necessarily books, but record keeping technology, death and the grave that are thrown into the lake of fire aren’t really thrown into the lake of fire, but simply represent Christ’s total victory over the consequences of Satan and sin, forever and ever doesn’t mean forever and ever, but just until they are burned up, but:

The lake of fire and the 1000 years absolutely mean a literal lake of fire and a literal 1000 years.

Very interesting!

scott

Re: Did Christ died the 'second death' for us... [Re: asygo] #101268
08/01/08 11:47 PM
08/01/08 11:47 PM
S
scott  Offline
Wyoming, USA
 Originally Posted By: asygo
 Originally Posted By: scott
So if Christ bore the punishment for our sin is the punishment for sin a broken heart as a result of being separated from God?

No. The punishment for sin, or consequences if you prefer, is the inability to coexist with God, the source of life. Those who have sin cannot have God simultaneously.

The lack of God, or separation if you prefer, causes the broken heart, not the other way around. All men, including Jesus, have been separated from God at one time or another. The big difference is that Jesus felt it keenly, while most of us don't mind.

Now, my turn for a question. Do you believe that the AG 172.3 statement is true?
 Quote:
Guiltless, He bore the punishment of the guilty. {AG 172.3}

Did Jesus bear the punishment of the guilty?

Yes! He did it at the cross and all during His life. Christ was a mortal man subject to death because of a choice Adam made for his whole family. He bore the brunt of the consequences of sin and even died a violent death demonstrating how dangerous and lethal sin and sinners are.

So if Christ bore our guilt then who punished Christ for the guilt He bore for us? God? Satan? Wild and crazy sinners? Who?

scott

Re: Did Christ died the 'second death' for us... [Re: Colin] #101271
08/02/08 02:03 AM
08/02/08 02:03 AM
S
scott  Offline
Wyoming, USA
 Quote:
By Colin: Na, God doesn't treat the lost differently in that day - as regards his attitude, since it is they who are different - they have treated him differently than the righteous treated God. It's akin to thinking that the last generation of saints, who experience the "measure of the stature of the fulness of Christ" (Eph 4:13 RSV), are saved in a different way to previous generations of saints. God is graceous also, so judgement - settled once probation is closed! - is based on grace: those who avail themselves of Christ's grace by the faith of Jesus shall be judged according to God's graceous promise of redemption in Jesus (Rom 3:24); those who reject Christ's grace by unbelief are condemned already (John 3:18).

Having placed themselves outside of grace, justice remains, and is seen in the end - and accepted by all...even Satan himself, but God isn't different toward the lost, since they were included in Christ's graceous redemption of his life and death - which they spurned. Their ultimate separation from God doesn't kill them, but is self-selected mental torture - aided by shock! Their separation commences before Satan rallies them, so standing in God's presence doesn't destroy them directly: it is written that fire comes down both to destroy the wicked and....cleanse the earth! Malachi states that the redeemed shall walk on the ashes of the wicked.

God doesn't treat the wicked differently from Richard and my point of view.

Hi Colin,

Again I find you very hard to understand. First of all how does one “avail themselves of God’s grace”? Grace is God’s disposition toward sinners. He is graceful towards us. He doesn’t hold our sins against us, He forgives us, He does everything possible to draw us to Himself. Grace is not a noun, but an adjective describing God’s character. God is graceful. To avail one’s self of God’s grace is simply to accept the fact that God is forgiving and accept His forgiveness. We don’t control God by distributing His grace or manipulating it by the way we act. God is just as graceful to the unrepentant as the repentant because grace is not something God doles out to some and withholds from others.

Also to “place themselves outside of grace” is to reject the fact that He is graceful. It is to believe He is other than Christ demonstrated. And the “justice” that remains for those who have rejected God’s gracefulness is not something that changes God. God’s justice is an expression of His grace just as much as His kindness and mercy.

My point is that God doesn’t have to do anything, but present the truth about Himself! He demonstrates His gracefulness to the whole world and some accept the truth about Him as revealed in Christ and other reject it and believe Satan version of God instead. The judgment simply reveals our choices. Who do we worship? God or Satan? And the destruction of the wicked is simply an expression of the consequences of the reality of the judgment. If we worship the true God we enter eternal life and if we worship Satan (disguised as God) then we enter eternal damnation. Satan has no power to give life to those who choose him. Who we are willing to worship determines our choice in the judgment.

The judgment determines who loves God's image or Satan's image. In the end God turns us loose to the God we love!

scott

Page 6 of 36 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 35 36

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 05/06/24 12:18 PM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/05/24 05:39 AM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by dedication. 05/06/24 02:37 PM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:33 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:29 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:27 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by kland. 05/06/24 10:32 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!