HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,630
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 24
kland 13
Daryl 2
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
3 registered members (Karen Y, Daryl, 1 invisible), 3,271 guests, and 15 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 7 of 36 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 35 36
Re: Did Christ died the 'second death' for us... [Re: scott] #101272
08/02/08 02:20 AM
08/02/08 02:20 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Scott, you bring up an important point that it was throughout His entire life that Christ bore the punishment of the guilty.

Here's a thought from Waggoner which touches on this:

Quote:
"I am crucified with Christ; nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me." Christ was crucified; He was "delivered for our offenses, and raised again for our justification." Rom.4:25. But unless we are crucified with Him, His death and resurrection profit us nothing. If the cross of Christ is separated from us, and outside of us, even though it be but by so much as a moment of time and an hair's breadth of space, it is to us all the same as if He were not crucified.

No one was ever saved simply by looking forward to a cross to be erected and a Christ to be crucified at some indefinite time in the future, and no one can now be saved simply by believing that at a certain time in the past Christ was crucified. No; if men would see Christ crucified, they must look neither forward nor backward, but upward; for the arms of the cross that was erected on Calvary reach from Paradise lost to Paradise restored, and embrace the whole world of sin.

The crucifixion of Christ is not a thing of but a single day. He is "the Lamb that hath been slain from the foundation of the world" (Rev.13:8, R.V.); and the pangs of Calvary will not be ended as long as a single sin or sinner exists in the universe. Even now Christ bears the sins of the whole world, for "in Him all things consist;" and when at the last He is obliged to cut off the irreclaimably wicked in the lake of fire, the anguish which they suffer will be only that which the Christ whom they have rejected suffered on the cross.

From Ellen White:

Quote:
Those who think of the result of hastening or hindering the gospel think of it in relation to themselves and to the world. Few think of its relation to God. Few give thought to the suffering that sin has caused our Creator. All heaven suffered in Christ's agony; but that suffering did not begin or end with His manifestation in humanity. The cross is a revelation to our dull senses of the pain that, from its very inception, sin has brought to the heart of God. Every departure from the right, every deed of cruelty, every failure of humanity to reach His ideal, brings grief to Him. When there came upon Israel the calamities that were the sure result of separation from God,--subjugation by their enemies, cruelty, and death,--it is said that "His soul was grieved for the misery of Israel." "In all their affliction He was afflicted: . . . and He bare them, and carried them all the days of old." Judges 10:16; Isaiah 63:9. (Ed 263)

From Fifield:

Quote:
It is my experience that in nine cases out of ten, when men consider those temptations in the fourth chapter of Matthew, which are typical of all his temptations, they fail to recognize their likeness to our own. They make him tempted in all points like as we are not, rather than like as we are....

He took our sorrows, our griefs, all the conflicts of our lives upon him, and was tempted in all points as we are. He took the injustices of our lives upon him too. It is a fact that you and I have to suffer for many things for which we are not at fault. All my suffering is not the result of my sin. Some of it is; but just as long as sin exists, injustice exists. As long as men sin, men will be sinned against. Just so you and I will have to suffer for the sins of others; and so God, to show that he knew and realized all that, let him that was perfectly innocent, take the injustice and sin of us all. O brethren and sisters, he did not bear some other grief or some other sorrow, but he bore our griefs and our sorrows. He was pierced through by them, and the Lord permitted it, because there was healing in it for us; not that he might appease God, or reconcile him unto us. Every passage of Scripture that refers to the reconciliation or atonement, or to the propitiation, always represents God as the one who makes this atonement, reconciliation, or propitiation, in Christ; we are always the ones atoned for, the ones to be reconciled. For us it was done, in order that, as Peter says, he might bring us to God.

The only way to do this is by destroying sin in us. He took our sins upon him in order that he might bring us to God. It was that he might break down the high middle wall of partition between human hearts and God, between Jew and Gentile, between God and man; that he might make us one with him, and one with one another, thus making the at-one-ment, or the atonement. In Christ Jesus we who were sometimes afar off were made nigh by the blood of Christ, so that we are no longer strangers and foreigners, but fellow citizens with the saints, and of the household of God; and are built upon the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Jesus Christ himself being the chief corner-stone; in whom all the building fitly framed together groweth into an holy temple in the Lord: in whom ye also are builded together for an habitation of God through the Spirit."

This is as near to the Lord as we can get. This is the at-one-ment; this is why he bore our griefs and carried our sorrows, that he might do that for us by breaking down all those things which separate hearts from hearts, both human and divine. Notwithstanding this, we did esteem him stricken, smitten of God, and afflicted. That was what we thought about it. We said, God is doing all this; God is killing him, punishing him, to satisfy his wrath, in order to let us off. That is the pagan conception of sacrifice. The Christian idea of sacrifice is this. Let us note the contrast. "God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." That is the Christian idea. Yes, sir. Indifference keeps, hatred keeps, selfishness keeps, or gives, if at all, but grudgingly, counting the cost, and figuring on some larger return at some future time. But love, and love only, sacrifices, gives freely, gives itself, gives without counting the cost; gives because it is love.

I find this last from Fifield unspeakably beautiful. I'll never forget the first time I read this, over 15 years ago now (hard to believe how time flies).

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Did Christ died the 'second death' for us... [Re: scott] #101273
08/02/08 02:27 AM
08/02/08 02:27 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Scott, just a nit, but I think you mean "gracious," not "graceful." "Gracious" means:

Quote:
having or showing grace in movement, shape, or proportion

"Gracious" means:

Quote:
disposed to bestow favors

or

Quote:
kind and warmly courteous; tactful; compassionate

I know what you mean, though. Full of grace!

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Did Christ died the 'second death' for us... [Re: scott] #101275
08/02/08 04:01 AM
08/02/08 04:01 AM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
 Originally Posted By: scott
 Originally Posted By: asygo
 Originally Posted By: Tammy Roesch
The penalty for man's transgression is death. There was no 1st or 2nd Death before Adam & Eve sinned. When they sinned, immediately, things changed, in nature as well as in man.

So, when Adam physically died at the age of 930, that was enough to satisfy the "wages" of sin? No other kind of death was required?

Are you asking whether or not God was satisfied with that or if Adam wasn't repentant then God needed to burn him a while and inflict some physical pain on him to satisfy justice.

I'm asking if that physical death was the full "wages of sin" that Paul was talking about in Rom 6:23.

Could it be that our punishment will be the same as we would inflict on others if we were judge and jury?

Not likely. God pronounced a woe on both those who call evil good, and those who call good evil. The punishment is based on what God thinks, not what we think.

By God's grace,
Arnold

There is no excuse for any one in taking the position that there is no more truth to be revealed, and that all our expositions of Scripture are without an error. The fact that certain doctrines have been held as truth for many years by our people, is not a proof that our ideas are infallible. Age will not make error into truth, and truth can afford to be fair. No true doctrine will lose anything by close investigation. RH 12/20/1892
Re: Did Christ died the 'second death' for us... [Re: Tom] #101276
08/02/08 04:16 AM
08/02/08 04:16 AM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
 Originally Posted By: Tom Ewall
 Quote:
Actually, the righteous do suffer a permanent kind of death. The difference is that the righteous experience the permanent death before probation closes, and the wicked after.

This is good! (providing we're thinking along the same lines here, which I think is likely).

I agreed with your post #101260 too.

If you're thinking along the lines of Romans 6, then we're in the same neighborhood.

By God's grace,
Arnold

There is no excuse for any one in taking the position that there is no more truth to be revealed, and that all our expositions of Scripture are without an error. The fact that certain doctrines have been held as truth for many years by our people, is not a proof that our ideas are infallible. Age will not make error into truth, and truth can afford to be fair. No true doctrine will lose anything by close investigation. RH 12/20/1892
Re: Did Christ died the 'second death' for us... [Re: asygo] #101277
08/02/08 04:17 AM
08/02/08 04:17 AM
S
scott  Offline
Wyoming, USA
 Originally Posted By: Tammy Roesch
The penalty for man's transgression is death. There was no 1st or 2nd Death before Adam & Eve sinned. When they sinned, immediately, things changed, in nature as well as in man.

So, when Adam physically died at the age of 930, that was enough to satisfy the "wages" of sin? No other kind of death was required?

Are you asking whether or not God was satisfied with that or if Adam wasn't repentant then God needed to burn him a while and inflict some physical pain on him to satisfy justice.

I'm asking if that physical death was the full "wages of sin" that Paul was talking about in Rom 6:23.

Could it be that our punishment will be the same as we would inflict on others if we were judge and jury?

Not likely. God pronounced a woe on both those who call evil good, and those who call good evil. The punishment is based on what God thinks, not what we think.

Really!

What about these texts:

Matthew 6:12
Forgive us our debts, as we also have forgiven our debtors.

Luke 6:37
"Do not judge, and you will not be judged. Do not condemn, and you will not be condemned. Forgive, and you will be forgiven.

Luke 7:47
Therefore, I tell you, her many sins have been forgiven—for she loved much. But he who has been forgiven little loves little."

2 Corinthians 2:10
If you forgive anyone, I also forgive him. And what I have forgiven—if there was anything to forgive—I have forgiven in the sight of Christ for your sake,

Matthew 16:19
I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven; whatever you bind on earth will be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth will be loosed in heaven."

Matthew 18:18
"I tell you the truth, whatever you bind on earth will be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth will be loosed in heaven.

Re: Did Christ died the 'second death' for us... [Re: scott] #101278
08/02/08 04:41 AM
08/02/08 04:41 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
The punishment is based on what God thinks, not what we think.

The judgment has to be based on what those being judged think. Both the Scriptures and the SOP tell us that every knee will bow, every tongue confess the righteousness of God. This requires that the judgment be based on what those being judged think.

Another way of seeing this is that the one being judged must acknowledge the rightness of what God is showing them, or else the judgment will be forced upon them, as opposed to acknowledge by them. People are not judged against their will. The acknowledge the truth, and agree with the judgment.

For example:

Quote:
A life of rebellion against God has unfitted them for Heaven. Its purity, holiness, and peace would be torture to them; the glory of God would be a consuming fire. They would long to flee from that holy place. They would welcome destruction, that they might be hidden from the face of Him who died to redeem them. The destiny of the wicked is fixed by their own choice. Their exclusion from Heaven is voluntary with themselves, and just and merciful on the part of God.(GC 542)

Note the underlined part. Their exclusion from heaven is *voluntary*. This requires that their judgment be based on their thought. Otherwise it wouldn't be voluntary, but forced upon them.

Re: Did Christ died the 'second death' for us... [Re: scott] #101279
08/02/08 05:59 AM
08/02/08 05:59 AM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
Now, my turn for a question. Do you believe that the AG 172.3 statement is true?
 Quote:
Guiltless, He bore the punishment of the guilty. {AG 172.3}

Did Jesus bear the punishment of the guilty?

Yes! He did it at the cross and all during His life. ... So if Christ bore our guilt then who punished Christ for the guilt He bore for us? God? Satan? Wild and crazy sinners? Who?

Well, that depends on what you think the "punishment of the guilty" is. What do you think is the punishment for sin, which Jesus bore "at the cross and all during His life"?

By God's grace,
Arnold

Re: Did Christ died the 'second death' for us... [Re: scott] #101280
08/02/08 06:13 AM
08/02/08 06:13 AM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA

Really!

What about these texts:

Matthew 6:12
Luke 6:37
Luke 7:47
2 Corinthians 2:10
Matthew 16:19
Matthew 18:18

Yes, really.

Not one or all of those verses give you or me sovereignty. Here's a verse for you:
 Quote:
John 5:22
For the Father judges no one, but has committed all judgment to the Son,

The Son is the Judge. He's qualified because He is God. Don't be fooled into thinking that we creatures can be like the Most High in that regard.

If we keep that in mind, we will read your verses without reading into them that somehow we get to be in charge. Instead, we see how Christians are so submitted to God that their thoughts become like His thoughts, their wills are submerged in His will. That is our high calling.

If we accept your statement that "our punishment will be the same as we would inflict on others if we were judge and jury" then he who will accept wickedness in another will be allowed to have wickedness in himself. But we know that's not how the story turns out. God is a consuming fire to sin, regardless of how you feel about it, or how you would deal with it if you were in charge.

God's character determines how sin is addressed. That is not going to change. The only question is if you and I are willing to be transformed into conformity with His character. Either we are congruent with Him and we live forever, or we are incongruent with Him and we die.

By God's grace,
Arnold

Re: Did Christ died the 'second death' for us... [Re: Tom] #101281
08/02/08 06:22 AM
08/02/08 06:22 AM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
 Originally Posted By: Tom Ewall
 Quote:
The punishment is based on what God thinks, not what we think.

Quote:
A life of rebellion against God has unfitted them for Heaven. Its purity, holiness, and peace would be torture to them; the glory of God would be a consuming fire. They would long to flee from that holy place. They would welcome destruction, that they might be hidden from the face of Him who died to redeem them. The destiny of the wicked is fixed by their own choice. Their exclusion from Heaven is voluntary with themselves, and just and merciful on the part of God.(GC 542)

Note the underlined part. Their exclusion from heaven is *voluntary*. This requires that their judgment be based on their thought. Otherwise it wouldn't be voluntary, but forced upon them.

That is because, by that time, their eyes are open to the facts, which God knew all along. The consequences are not influenced by what the condemned think. Rather, what the condemned think is changed by undeniable evidence to match what God thinks. And after all that, they will finally agree with God - sin and life can coexist only at the cost of misery and suffering; the merciful wages of sin is eternal death. When they realize that, they will welcome death as a respite, rather than spending eternity with One they hate.

By God's grace,
Arnold

Re: Did Christ died the 'second death' for us... [Re: asygo] #101282
08/02/08 07:46 AM
08/02/08 07:46 AM
S
scott  Offline
Wyoming, USA
Now, my turn for a question. Do you believe that the AG 172.3 statement is true?
 Quote:
Guiltless, He bore the punishment of the guilty. {AG 172.3}

Did Jesus bear the punishment of the guilty?

Yes! He did it at the cross and all during His life. ... So if Christ bore our guilt then who punished Christ for the guilt He bore for us? God? Satan? Wild and crazy sinners? Who?

Well, that depends on what you think the "punishment of the guilty" is. What do you think is the punishment for sin, which Jesus bore "at the cross and all during His life"?

I think that sin is lethal and without the presence of God to pump life into the sinner (probation) the insanity of selfishness would first destroy all those around the sinner and then turn on himself. All God has to do to destroy sinners is to leave them to their own folly. If Christ proved anything it is that sinners left to themselves are lethal. The punishment for sin is eternal separation from God and all God has to do to punish sinners is to give them what they have demanded. That God leave them alone and let them do things their way. The way of the sinner is death.

So what do you think the punishment for sin is and who is it that executes the punishment? Who demands death for the sinner and who is in charge of making sure the sinner dies?

scott

Page 7 of 36 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 35 36

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 05/06/24 12:18 PM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/05/24 05:39 AM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by dedication. 05/06/24 02:37 PM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:33 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:29 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:27 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by kland. 05/06/24 10:32 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!