HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,597
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 14
kland 9
Daryl 3
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Member Spotlight
ProdigalOne
ProdigalOne
Alberta, Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
4 registered members (Karen Y, Daryl, dedication, 1 invisible), 3,252 guests, and 14 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 10 of 36 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 35 36
Re: Did Christ died the 'second death' for us... [Re: scott] #101307
08/04/08 07:19 AM
08/04/08 07:19 AM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
 Originally Posted By: scott
I find it interesting that the Abyss is not really a bottomless pit, but the desolate earth, the chain is not a real chain, but a chain of circumstances, the dragon and the serpent are not real dragons or serpents, but the devil, that Satan isn’t really bound with the chain, but just doesn’t have anyone to tempt, the beast is not a real beast, but a religious/political persecuting power, Gog and Magog are not real places of battle, but represent the final showdown between good and evil, the books are not necessarily books, but record keeping technology, death and the grave that are thrown into the lake of fire aren’t really thrown into the lake of fire, but simply represent Christ’s total victory over the consequences of Satan and sin, forever and ever doesn’t mean forever and ever, but just until they are burned up, but:

The lake of fire and the 1000 years absolutely mean a literal lake of fire and a literal 1000 years.

Very interesting!

scott

Yes, that is interesting. I think you have a point there.

But then, Jesus will literally come here, and He will literally raise the dead, and He will literally make a New Earth, yes?

By God's grace,
Arnold

There is no excuse for any one in taking the position that there is no more truth to be revealed, and that all our expositions of Scripture are without an error. The fact that certain doctrines have been held as truth for many years by our people, is not a proof that our ideas are infallible. Age will not make error into truth, and truth can afford to be fair. No true doctrine will lose anything by close investigation. RH 12/20/1892
Re: Did Christ died the 'second death' for us... [Re: asygo] #101308
08/04/08 09:05 AM
08/04/08 09:05 AM
Tammy Roesch  Offline
North East OHIO
 Originally Posted By: asygo
 Originally Posted By: Tammy Roesch
I think you are right, Scott, when you said,
 Quote:
I think that the idea that Christ died the second death comes from the Papal/Calvinistic view of the atonement. It is called penal substitution where God’s insulted integrity demands (God’s law demands) Jesus suffer enough to include the punishment due to the vilest sinner. According to this view Jesus must suffer physical pain equal or greater than what the worst repentant sinner deserves. Otherwise the justice of God would be compromised. So Christ suffers the collective debt for all those who are saved so that they can be acquitted and given a free ticket to heaven. Christ becomes the proverbial “whipping boy” for our sins.

Tammy,

I think you better check with Al on this one. To reject the penal paradigm is not a light thing.

This is beyond me, I don't understand terms such as these...Of course I believe that Jesus died for all...and she says,
 Quote:
Never was criminal treated in so inhuman a manner as was the Son of God. {DA 710.1}
But, I don't understand what this all has to do with which death Jesus died. Why make it so complex and complicated? We have a simple Bible definition of the 2nd Death. I can't, for the life of me, understand how anyone can truly believe that Jesus died the death of the lost person.

Quote:
Suddenly the gloom lifted from the cross, and in clear, trumpetlike tones, that seemed to resound throughout creation, Jesus cried, "It is finished." "Father, into Thy hands I commend My spirit." A light encircled the cross, and the face of the Saviour shone with a glory like the sun. He then bowed His head upon His breast, and died. {DA 756.2}
Does this sound like the description of those who die the 2nd Death?

Christ is waiting with longing desire for the manifestation of Himself in His church. When the character of Christ shall be perfectly reproduced in His people, then He will come to claim them as His own. {COL 69}

Re: Did Christ died the 'second death' for us... [Re: asygo] #101309
08/04/08 01:40 PM
08/04/08 01:40 PM
Rick H  Offline
OP
Group: Admin Team
3000+ Member
Florida, USA
It honestly seems blasphemous to me, to say that Christ died the 2nd Death.

Actually, it is more glorious. Consider this (thanks to a friend who supplied the insight).

Quote:
And do not fear those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. But rather fear Him who is able to destroy both soul and body in hell. (Matthew 10:28)

Then He said to them, "My soul is exceedingly sorrowful, even to death. Stay here and watch with Me." (Matthew 26:38)

There is a death that includes only the body, and there is a different kind of death that includes the soul. What Jesus experienced included the soul.

Is that blasphemy? No. It is just the fact that the soul that sins shall die. True, Jesus did not sin. But Jesus was made sin for us, He took upon Himself all of our sins. And as we saw from DA 686, He suffered the consequences of our sin - the death of the soul.

Why is that more glorious? I'll continue next time.

1) The first part of Romans 6 tells us that we must die in the likeness of Christ's death. The death that Paul was saying we must all experience is death to sin. Should our death to sin be a permanent death, or temporary? Most, if not all, of us here would agree that we must die to sin permanently. That is the likeness of Christ's death.

2) The promise is that all who die in the likeness of Christ's death will be raised in the likeness of His resurrection. Jesus died as the worst of all sinners, having taken humanity's sins upon Himself. But He took that sin into the permanent death, nevermore to return. When He came back, it was without sin. So with us, we die to sin permanently, then we are raised to walk in newness of life, the new life of faith, submission, and obedience to God. We leave that sin behind forever.

3) Raising one from the 1st death is easy compared to raising one from the 2nd death. Several prophets and apostles did it. But Jesus was raised from the 2nd death, being raised without the shackles of sin. This resurrection only God does. This is what He promised to do for us in Romans 6.

4) The 2nd death is the only death that sufficiently shows God's hatred for sin. It is not good enough for Him to put sin aside temporarily. The way God will deal with sin is to eradicate it permanently, never to return. That's His promise. Sin will not arise a 2nd time.

5) God loved Jesus, there is no question there. But because Jesus took upon Himself our sin, He was subject to God's wrath and died the 2nd death. That reveals to us, like nothing else, that God hates sin with a perfect hatred. But if you cling to it, even if He loves you as He loves His Son, you will die permanently. In one act, God shows us His hatred of sin as He shows us His love for all, including the lost, by taking the death we deserve.

I took it to my 'round table' of bible scholars at church and we went over it, and the consensus was that Christ's death was of a eternal nature as far as He could see, because he set aside his divinity and thus if He had sinned, it would have been eternal death for Him (a death with sin that would have destroyed both soul and body in hell). So he faced the same death we do, one which could lead to eternal life or eternal death, and he triumph over what would have been a eternal death if He had sin and extends that victory to us.

Last edited by Richard; 08/04/08 01:41 PM.
Re: Did Christ died the 'second death' for us... [Re: Rick H] #101310
08/04/08 03:30 PM
08/04/08 03:30 PM
S
scott  Offline
Wyoming, USA
 Quote:
By Richard: I took it to my 'round table' of bible scholars at church and we went over it, and the consensus was that Christ's death was of a eternal nature as far as He could see, because he set aside his divinity and thus if He had sinned, it would have been eternal death for Him (a death with sin that would have destroyed both soul and body in hell). So he faced the same death we do, one which could lead to eternal life or eternal death, and he triumph over what would have been an eternal death if He had sin and extends that victory to us.

This is the way I see it too. We are conceived, born, and steeped in sin our whole lives until we are born again. Our natural birth finds us separated from God believing that God is our enemy. We have a selfish nature and until we meet God and surrender to His love we can no more stop sinning that we can grow wings and fly. Even the things men do that are perceived as good have a selfish motive and are sin. Without God’s intervention we would perish for eternity having spent our whole life captive to sin and Satan.

When Jesus was born He was not born separate from the Father. He was born “born again” full of the Holy Spirit and in full communication with the Father. So how can the NT tell us that He was born like us? How can Christ claim to have experience our suffering and how can He claim to comfort us and know our plight? How can He affiliate with men if He was born above them, in a higher spiritual state, and never experienced being separated from God?

My answer is Gethsemane and the Cross! Christ experienced the severing of His last link with heaven that night before the cross. What was His only hold on heaven, His only advantage over us during His life, the only thing that made Him different than a mere man? A relationship of love and trust with the Father and living in constant communication and in the presence of God.

Sin so slowly separated man from God that we don’t even notice the heart break. Like putting a frog in a pot full of cold water and turning on a slow flame. The frog adjusts to the water until boiled to death. Jesus, OTOH, experienced the same separation from the Father, which we have lived with since our conception, the night of His crucifixion, thus completing His human experience. He bore our sorrow and our grief in every way so that we know we have a compassionate High Priest who can succor us and comfort us and bring us back to the Father. Jesus knows what it is like to be abandoned to the insanity of sinners with no hope of physical rescue. This is where I see as Him tasting eternal death. Not experiencing the eternity of the death, but experiencing the enormity of emotions not being able to see through the veil of death, no hope for rescue, no comforting from Father, no communications, but depending only on the relationship of trust build during a life time of communion with the Father. Jesus knew His Father’s love and He put His trust in that love, never putting His trust in what was happening right then and there.

Only those who know God intimately and love and trust who He is will have an assurance of salvation. But don’t think Satan won’t do everything to get you to believe you are alone and abandoned of God. God was right there with His Son every second, but Jesus had placed Himself in the hands of sinners and between the cries of the insane men and the demons crawling all over Him God’s presence was shut out in every physical sense. Jesus felt totally alone, but knew, from a lifetime relationship with the Father, that He could commend the final outcome to His trusted Father. What ever happened; Jesus knew that His Father loved Him. And we too have, through Jesus, that same assurance.

scott

Re: Did Christ died the 'second death' for us... [Re: asygo] #101311
08/04/08 03:38 PM
08/04/08 03:38 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Arnold, regarding #101305, you are insisting "I am not talking about that." I know you weren't. I never said you were. I was. I was expressing *my* opinion. I understood that my opinion was different than yours. I wasn't saying my opinion was yours. I never disagreed with the idea that if one puts one's hand in a fire that it will get burned regardless of one's beliefs.

I don't understand where whatever misunderstanding you think there is here took place. I hope this is settled and we can discuss post #101293.

Last edited by Tom; 08/04/08 05:44 PM. Reason: consistent use of pronous

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Did Christ died the 'second death' for us... [Re: Tammy Roesch] #101312
08/04/08 03:53 PM
08/04/08 03:53 PM
S
scott  Offline
Wyoming, USA
I think you are right, Scott, when you said,
 Quote:
I think that the idea that Christ died the second death comes from the Papal/Calvinistic view of the atonement. It is called penal substitution where God’s insulted integrity demands (God’s law demands) Jesus suffer enough to include the punishment due to the vilest sinner. According to this view Jesus must suffer physical pain equal or greater than what the worst repentant sinner deserves. Otherwise the justice of God would be compromised. So Christ suffers the collective debt for all those who are saved so that they can be acquitted and given a free ticket to heaven. Christ becomes the proverbial “whipping boy” for our sins.

Tammy,

I think you better check with Al on this one. To reject the penal paradigm is not a light thing.

This is beyond me, I don't understand terms such as these...Of course I believe that Jesus died for all...and she says,
 Quote:
Never was criminal treated in so inhuman a manner as was the Son of God. {DA 710.1}
But, I don't understand what this all has to do with which death Jesus died. Why make it so complex and complicated? We have a simple Bible definition of the 2nd Death. I can't, for the life of me, understand how anyone can truly believe that Jesus died the death of the lost person.

Quote:
Suddenly the gloom lifted from the cross, and in clear, trumpetlike tones, that seemed to resound throughout creation, Jesus cried, "It is finished." "Father, into Thy hands I commend My spirit." A light encircled the cross, and the face of the Saviour shone with a glory like the sun. He then bowed His head upon His breast, and died. {DA 756.2}
Does this sound like the description of those who die the 2nd Death?

I agree, Tammy!

Jesus never suffered the emotion of the eternally lost because He knew His Father’s love. His life was so tied to the Father that He accepted whatever fate would come because of His knowledge of God’s goodness. Jesus couldn’t see through the portal of death. He had no physical evidence that He would be rescued or resurrected. He only had his past fellowship with the Father to get Him through. He had an intimate loving trust for His Father. That is what got Jesus through! He had a relationship with the Father and He loved goodness and hated the evil around Him. Jesus would not join the evil even to save His life. He would not call out for an angelic rescue because He knew he must give a full demonstration of God’s love so that the hardest to convince, among men, would have no excuse.

Jesus loved sinners and stayed all the way to the end because He could do nothing else. He was willing to die before He was willing to kill others so that He could live. Isn’t this the exact opposite of selfishness and the survival of the fittest? Men kill others so that they can live, but God gives His live so that others might live.

scott

Re: Did Christ died the 'second death' for us... [Re: asygo] #101313
08/04/08 04:37 PM
08/04/08 04:37 PM
S
scott  Offline
Wyoming, USA
 Originally Posted By: scott
I find it interesting that the Abyss is not really a bottomless pit, but the desolate earth, the chain is not a real chain, but a chain of circumstances, the dragon and the serpent are not real dragons or serpents, but the devil, that Satan isn’t really bound with the chain, but just doesn’t have anyone to tempt, the beast is not a real beast, but a religious/political persecuting power, Gog and Magog are not real places of battle, but represent the final showdown between good and evil, the books are not necessarily books, but record keeping technology, death and the grave that are thrown into the lake of fire aren’t really thrown into the lake of fire, but simply represent Christ’s total victory over the consequences of Satan and sin, forever and ever doesn’t mean forever and ever, but just until they are burned up, but:

The lake of fire and the 1000 years absolutely mean a literal lake of fire and a literal 1000 years.

Very interesting!

scott

Yes, that is interesting. I think you have a point there.

But then, Jesus will literally come here, and He will literally raise the dead, and He will literally make a New Earth, yes?

Hi Arnold,

Jesus’ literal 2nd coming is one of the most common themes of the NT. If, OTOH, it was only mentioned once or twice in the Revelation I probably wouldn’t believe it was literal.

We have lots of different spiritual fires burning in the Bible, but we insist that the one in the prophetic book of Revelation is literal.

scott

Re: Did Christ died the 'second death' for us... [Re: Tom] #101315
08/04/08 05:49 PM
08/04/08 05:49 PM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
 Originally Posted By: Tom
I understood that my opinion was different than yours.

But it's not. That's the misunderstanding.

By God's grace,
Arnold

There is no excuse for any one in taking the position that there is no more truth to be revealed, and that all our expositions of Scripture are without an error. The fact that certain doctrines have been held as truth for many years by our people, is not a proof that our ideas are infallible. Age will not make error into truth, and truth can afford to be fair. No true doctrine will lose anything by close investigation. RH 12/20/1892
Re: Did Christ died the 'second death' for us... [Re: scott] #101316
08/04/08 06:02 PM
08/04/08 06:02 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
Jesus never suffered the emotion of the eternally lost because He knew His Father’s love.

I think He did suffer it. What got Him through the experience was His knowledge of His Father's love. He chose faith over feelings, but His feelings were those of the lost; all black clouds, with no hope of sun. Many Psalms bring out the despair Christ felt on the cross. To name just 3, 22, 69, 88. They speak of His crying so much that He ran out of tears. His was a one-of-a-kind suffering.

There is comfort for us in His suffering. When sin causes pain in our lives, such as taking a loved one away, we can feel so alone, that there is no one who understands our pain and loneliness; but there is One! We can sojourn to the garden, or to the cross, with Him. He had to tread the path alone, so that we can be comforted.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Did Christ died the 'second death' for us... [Re: Tom] #101317
08/04/08 06:12 PM
08/04/08 06:12 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
I understood that my opinion was different than yours.

But it's not. That's the misunderstanding.

Ok! Good! We are in agreement. Do you agree with post 101293 as well?

Page 10 of 36 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 35 36

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 04/25/24 09:37 AM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 04/21/24 06:41 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 04/24/24 02:15 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by dedication. 04/01/24 07:48 PM
Time Is Short!
by ProdigalOne. 03/29/24 10:50 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!