HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,609
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 16
kland 9
Daryl 4
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
7 registered members (Karen Y, Kevin H, Daryl, dedication, ProdigalOne, 2 invisible), 3,113 guests, and 13 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 4 of 24 1 2 3 4 5 6 23 24
Re: Does God Punish Suicide? [Re: Tom] #101953
08/26/08 05:15 PM
08/26/08 05:15 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
 Originally Posted By: Tom
 Quote:
"Sin is not imputed when there is no law." Romans 5:13. What gives God the right to impute righteousness and to not impute sin?

This is not saying righteousness is imputed. It says sin is not imputed. Sin is not imputed because the person is not guilty of sin if he doesn't know he is doing wrong. It's the same thing as this:

Said the angel, "Ye shall understand, but not yet, not yet." Said the angel, "If light comes, and that light is set aside, or rejected, then comes condemnation and the frown of God; but before the light comes there is no sin, for there is no light for them to reject."(SG 4b page 3)

"God imputeth righteousness." "The Lord will not impute sin." What gives God the right to 1) impute righteousness, and to 2) not impute sin?

Also, are you implying sin is not a sin if it is committed in ignorance? The reason I ask is because that's not what the angel is saying in the quote you posted. For example, people who break the Sabbath in ignorance are still sinning; it's just that Jesus doesn't hold them accountable until they are convinced of the truth by the Holy Spirit.

Quote:
MM: Under what conditions can God not impute sin?

TE: Under the conditions the angel stated.

But didn't you say God does not impute sin when people do not sin? Whereas the Paul wrote, "Blessed are they whose iniquities are forgiven, and whose sins are covered. Blessed is the man to whom the Lord will not impute sin."

Quote:
MM: Must one be alive in order for God to not impute sin?

TE: ??? Dead people don't sin.[/quote]
True. But must people be alive for God to not impute sin? Or, can He not impute sin in the IJ after they die?

Quote:
MM: In the case of people who die before they can repent of sins of ignorance, does God not impute their sin unto them?

TE: The character is determined by the trend of the life, not an occasional good deed or misdeed. Not repenting of some last minute sin is irrelevant. God never imputes sins of ignorance.

Are you suggesting people can sin in the last minute before they die and that it is irrelevant to God? Also, are you suggesting people can sin in ignorance and that God will not impute it unto them in judgment?

Quote:
MM: In the case of people who die before they can repent of a sin, will God not impute their sin unto them?

TE: Their character will decide their destiny, not some last minute sin, or the lack of repentance thereof.

Again, are you suggesting God doesn't care if people sin just before they die, that it doesn't matter in judgment? What gives God the right to not impute their last minute sin against them in judgment? Why didn't God disregard A&E's last minute sin and save Himself these 6,000 years of GC?

Re: Does God Punish Suicide? [Re: Tom] #101954
08/26/08 05:29 PM
08/26/08 05:29 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Before light comes, there is no sin, so how could it be fatal? For example, not keeping the Sabbath is contrary to the 4th commandment, but if one knows nothing about it, how is it fatal?

It is fatal because they are missing out on the blessing that attends Sabbath-keeping. To break one of the ten commandments is to break them all, right? So, how can someone break the 4th commandment without breaking all ten? Ignorance is not bliss.

James
2:10 For whosoever shall keep the whole law, and yet offend in one [point], he is guilty of all.

DA 283
But in order to keep the Sabbath holy, men must themselves be holy. Through faith they must become partakers of the righteousness of Christ. When the command was given to Israel, "Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy," the Lord said also to them, "Ye shall be holy men unto Me." Ex. 20:8; 22:31. {DA 283.3}

Re: Does God Punish Suicide? [Re: Mountain Man] #101959
08/26/08 06:12 PM
08/26/08 06:12 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
It is fatal because they are missing out on the blessing that attends Sabbath-keeping.

It looks like you are using "fatal" to mean "a pity." It's certainly true that keeping the Sabbath is better than not.

I don't see you addressed my question, however: "Before light comes, there is no sin, so how could it be fatal?"

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Does God Punish Suicide? [Re: Tom] #101966
08/26/08 06:35 PM
08/26/08 06:35 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
Also, are you implying sin is not a sin if it is committed in ignorance? The reason I ask is because that's not what the angel is saying in the quote you posted.

The angel said, " before the light comes there is no sin." What do you think this means?

Regarding sin being imputed after the fact, this sounds like the Catholic idea of praying for the dead. Neither righteousness nor sin is imputed at some other time than when it actually happens. For example, the moment a person exercises faith in Christ, that person's righteousness is imputed, just as Paul explains that "Abraham believed God, and it was imputed to him for righteousness."

Regarding what I wrote in relation to last minute sins, it seems clear to me. I don't see the need to clarify further. I basically just quoted well known SOP statements that I'd be surprised if you weren't familiar with them.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Does God Punish Suicide? [Re: Tom] #101999
08/27/08 03:19 PM
08/27/08 03:19 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
 Quote:
It is fatal because they are missing out on the blessing that attends Sabbath-keeping.

It looks like you are using "fatal" to mean "a pity." It's certainly true that keeping the Sabbath is better than not.

I don't see you addressed my question, however: "Before light comes, there is no sin, so how could it be fatal?"

The absence of light is darkness, and darkness is the absence of light. Therefore, how can darkness not be fatal? Of course, by "fatal" I am not implying they are lost or condemned to damnation. It is the truth that sets sinners free, but if their knowledge of the truth is partial or wrong, then so is their freedom - which is tragic.

Re: Does God Punish Suicide? [Re: Tom] #102000
08/27/08 03:29 PM
08/27/08 03:29 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
 Quote:
Also, are you implying sin is not a sin if it is committed in ignorance? The reason I ask is because that's not what the angel is saying in the quote you posted.

1. The angel said, " before the light comes there is no sin." What do you think this means?

2. Regarding sin being imputed after the fact, this sounds like the Catholic idea of praying for the dead. Neither righteousness nor sin is imputed at some other time than when it actually happens. For example, the moment a person exercises faith in Christ, that person's righteousness is imputed, just as Paul explains that "Abraham believed God, and it was imputed to him for righteousness."

3. Regarding what I wrote in relation to last minute sins, it seems clear to me. I don't see the need to clarify further. I basically just quoted well known SOP statements that I'd be surprised if you weren't familiar with them.

1. "No sin" means sins for which God holds them accountable. God does not count them guilty of sins of ignorance. Nevertheless, God does hold Jesus accountable for sins of ignorance. He had to die for sins of ignorance.

2. True, neither sin nor righteousness is imputed after the fact; instead, it is imputed at the same time. For example, if a person dies the instant they curse, before they have time to repent, I believe Jesus will impute what they would have done had not death taken them so suddenly. God knows what they would have done based on the general tendency of their life and character.

3. Do your familiar quotes agree with what I posted above under #2?

Re: Does God Punish Suicide? [Re: Mountain Man] #102002
08/27/08 03:43 PM
08/27/08 03:43 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
1. "No sin" means sins for which God holds them accountable. God does not count them guilty of sins of ignorance. Nevertheless, God does hold Jesus accountable for sins of ignorance. He had to die for sins of ignorance.

Why didn't God hold Jesus accountable for Lucifer's sins of ignorance?

Quote:
2. True, neither sin nor righteousness is imputed after the fact; instead, it is imputed at the same time.

Agreed to here.

Quote:
For example, if a person dies the instant they curse, before they have time to repent, I believe Jesus will impute what they would have done had not death taken them so suddenly.

For example? How is this an example of what you are commenting on?

Leaving that aside, if Jesus imputed to them what they would have done, this is not an example of what you just said, but a contradiction of it. Secondly, there's absolutely no necessary to impute something which might have happened. Thirdly, IMO this makes no sense, the whole concept of imputing possible things someone might have done. That certainly isn't in harmony with the concept of free will.

Quote:
God knows what they would have done based on the general tendency of their life and character.

What is relevant is what a person *will* do, not what they might have done. God knows what people will do after being resurrected. That's the important thing.

To put it another way, the actual state of our character is the important thing.

Re: Does God Punish Suicide? [Re: Tom] #102003
08/27/08 03:51 PM
08/27/08 03:51 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
(Old M)It is fatal because they are missing out on the blessing that attends Sabbath-keeping.

(Old T)It looks like you are using "fatal" to mean "a pity." It's certainly true that keeping the Sabbath is better than not.

(M)The absence of light is darkness, and darkness is the absence of light. Therefore, how can darkness not be fatal?

"The absence of light is darkness." This is true.

"and darkness is the absence of light." This isn't.

What we're dealing specifically with is not keeping the Sabbath. You said this is "fatal." I'm asking how, given a person is ignorant of it.

Quote:
Of course, by "fatal" I am not implying they are lost or condemned to damnation. It is the truth that sets sinners free, but if their knowledge of the truth is partial or wrong, then so is their freedom - which is tragic.

Here's what "fatal" means:

Quote:
causing death (Webster)

You wrote:

Quote:

You are using "fatal" to mean "a pity," aren't you?

Re: Does God Punish Suicide? [Re: Tom] #102047
08/28/08 02:52 PM
08/28/08 02:52 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Why didn't God hold Jesus accountable for Lucifer's sins of ignorance?

Because he sinned in light of knowing God fully. There was nothing more God could to do to recommend His love in a way that would impress Lucifer to repent. The instant he sinned he was beyond hope. The same thing is true of people who willfully sin after knowing God as well as t hey can in this lifetime.

Hebrews
10:26 For if we sin wilfully after that we have received the knowledge of the truth, there remaineth no more sacrifice for sins,
10:27 But a certain fearful looking for of judgment and fiery indignation, which shall devour the adversaries.

How is this an example of what you are commenting on?

Because Jesus imputes, at the moment of death, what he would have done (i.e. repent), rather than waiting to impute it sometime later.

Re: Does God Punish Suicide? [Re: Mountain Man] #102048
08/28/08 02:56 PM
08/28/08 02:56 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
You are using "fatal" to mean "a pity," aren't you?

More like - tragic. You agree, don't you, that they are missing out on a wonderful blessing? If so, just how bad is it to miss out on this wonderful blessing? Would you agree it is tragic?

Page 4 of 24 1 2 3 4 5 6 23 24

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 04/30/24 10:34 PM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 04/21/24 06:41 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Daryl. 05/01/24 07:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by ProdigalOne. 04/29/24 04:47 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!